Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why electric storage heaters are the worst idea ever

Options
  • 28-11-2020 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I suppose ye were ahead of the times with this great new way of heating the house and saving money. In my day they never worked. Ever. It was always freezing. I was 10 when they went into the house and I was told it was the best thing since sliced bread.
    Maybe my parents didn't know how to work them to actually heat the house I don't know. As I grew up I found out there was a booster button to turn on the heat straight away. But yet I would be wearing my big tourmakeady jumper all the time as it was still freezing. Do ye still sell these or market these? If yes why? If no why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I suppose ye were ahead of the times with this great new way of heating the house and saving money. In my day they never worked. Ever. It was always freezing. I was 10 when they went into the house and I was told it was the best thing since sliced bread.
    Maybe my parents didn't know how to work them to actually heat the house I don't know. As I grew up I found out there was a booster button to turn on the heat straight away. But yet I would be wearing my big tourmakeady jumper all the time as it was still freezing. Do ye still sell these or market these? If yes why? If no why?

Both nothing to do with electric Ireland.....

100% efficient

Only issue is the timing and trying to have it last for the day. Use on off peak times and you get the night rate.... This is where the savings are.

The heating during the night/early morning is put into the bricks which is then released during the day, the boost function would be on normal rate once used during the day and extremely expensive.

These systems aren't ideal unless well insulated property such as most apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

Both nothing to do with electric Ireland.....

100% efficient

Only issue is the timing and trying to have it last for the day. Use on off peak times and you get the night rate.... This is where the savings are.

The heating during the night/early morning is put into the bricks which is then released during the day, the boost function would be on normal rate once used during the day and extremely expensive.

These systems aren't ideal unless well insulated property such as most apartment.
    What are you on about? Electric Ireland are Esb back in the day and are still operating and running storage heaters. Which are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pure junk, should be outlawed.

What are you on about? Electric Ireland are Esb back in the day and are still operating and running storage heaters. Which are useless.

Wtf they are a electric company, they don't force anyone to use storage heaters....

Go read up on them ...

Some settings they actually work well.

Wtf they are a electric company, they don't force anyone to use storage heaters....

Go read up on them ...

Some settings they actually work well.

Sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They’re great in theory, but after living with them for (thankfully) a short period of time, they’re a nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Dancewithme,

Electric Ireland just looks after the billing side of things (in 2004, ESB became ESB Customer Supply and ESB Networks - then in 2011 ESB Customer Supply became Electric Ireland).

Storage heaters can be purchased from different manufacturers. ESB promoted the NightSaver (the meter that has a day rate and night rate - and the significantly lower night rate is ideal for storage heaters or electric vehicle chargers).

Kind regards,
    Una

Pure junk, should be outlawed.
    In a very well insulated place they do work well. The OP mentioned having one as a kid back before BER ratings were invented and most homes would have been off the scales. 

Sure

Sure what?

Electric company has nothing to do with it.

Sure what?

Electric company has nothing to do with it.
    Actually they do.

• Advertisement

Actually they do.

Explain

Advertisement