Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

105 cassette assembly help

Options
  • 28-11-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to reassemble my 105 cassette as I'm going to use it on my old wheels for gravel riding. There are 4 spacers in total. The shop put it in a bag and it fell apart. There are different spacers withing the cogs and I don't know what went where as it got mixed up.

Where do the spacers go and at what point between the cogs please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does this help?
    https://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/CS0004

page 7 - that's 5800 though and there's 5 spacers there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

similar for the 7000 though?

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/RACS001

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lay all the cogs out in ascending order of diameter. Some will have their own flange so wont need a spacer. The 'flat' ones require a spacer. The gap between each cog should be the same when assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Thanks for replies. I'm going to have to leave it in lbs as I don't have the locknut tool to tighten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I'm going to have to leave it in lbs as I don't have the locknut tool to tighten it.

Where are you? Maybe someone here could lend you one. I'm in Terenure and you can have a lend of mine if you like.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Where are you? Maybe someone here could lend you one. I'm in Terenure and you can have a lend of mine if you like.

Thanks. I can't even get the nut to bite the thread to tighten it all together at the end bit. I dont have a clue what I'm doing so I'll leave it with the lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had that issue with the nut not tightening before, when I tried to change my worn cassette for a new one. What model number is it, exactly (it should be written on the smallest cog)? And what kind of a freehub is it going on? Some of the 105 cassettes are made to fit on MTB hubs rather than road hubs. So the cassette may not be compatible with your old wheels, or may require a different number of spacers.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-544&acid=C-253

Breezer wrote: »
    I had that issue with the nut not tightening before, when I tried to change my worn cassette for a new one. What model number is it, exactly (it should be written on the smallest cog)? And what kind of a freehub is it going on? Some of the 105 cassettes are made to fit on MTB hubs rather than road hubs. So the cassette may not be compatible with your old wheels, or may require a different number of spacers.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-544&acid=C-253

It's just the old cassette going back on and the hub is still the same. I've no tools and haven't a clue what I'm doing. I tried taking the peddles off today and marked the bike doing it and heard a cracking noise come from my chest as I was leaning on the bike trying to get the peddle off. I now can't take deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

It's just the old cassette going back on and the hub is still the same. I've no tools and haven't a clue what I'm doing. I tried taking the peddles off today and marked the bike doing it and heard a cracking noise come from my chest as I was leaning on the bike trying to get the peddle off. I now can't take deep breaths.

Which pedal were you trying to take off? The left pedal is left threaded (i.e. it threads the opposite way a normal thread would), so you'd need to turn it clockwise to release

cletus wrote: »
    Which pedal were you trying to take off? The left pedal is left threaded (i.e. it threads the opposite way a normal thread would), so you'd need to turn it clockwise to release

Thanks.

I got it in the end. Went down to cycle superstore and bought a pedal spanner and they flew off. There was a creaking coming from what I thought was the bb. However I noticed going up the mountains today it was only when I was clicked in. Took the pedals off, greased up everywhere so it should be sorted. I'm going to start buying tools and doing bits here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Point taken. On the plus side, you do learn from
    these maddening experiences. I had to angle grind my crank arm off before... great craic in hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Wiggle are doing Black Friday specials on some tools with a very nice torque wrench for £30 and toolkits at £30 and £45. All with free delivery.

Wiggle are doing Black Friday specials on some tools with a very nice torque wrench for £30 and toolkits at £30 and £45. All with free delivery.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

Advertisement