Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how far does the UK 02 Mobile signal overlap into 26 counties?

• 28-11-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

i have an 02 UK mobile number and got a new nano sim in early september when up north but I came back same day and even though the phone was working for some reason it will only reveive texts. 02 have tried everything but to no avail.

Apparently if I hook up to an 02 UK signal I can do a top up and that will get it sorted. I dont want to go north so wondered how close do I get for good signal?

If in wrong section please move.

I need UK phone for contact purposes and banking etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It depends on where the masts are at that location. If there was an O2 mast on the border and no nearby masts in Ireland then up to 10km maybe. But realistically probably not more than 1km over the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thank you and I will see if I can pinpoint the masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

GarIT wrote: »
    It depends on where the masts are at that location. If there was an O2 mast on the border and no nearby masts in Ireland then up to 10km maybe. But realistically probably not more than 1km over the border.

But if they are in range of a mast in the Republic, couldn't they still manually choose the O2 UK network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Down on the beach at Curracloe in Wexford County during the hot summer of 2018 and I was able to pick up three different UK networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But if they are in range of a mast in the Republic, couldn't they still manually choose the O2 UK network?

Yes but that's not the issue. Usually a Sim will want to switch back to it's home network as soon as it can.

Interferance from competing masts would reduce the range of the masts in Northern Ireland.

I'd say it's much easier to just drive across the border than trying to find a sweet spot where the connection works a bit further.

Wikipedia says up to 35km from the mast is the theoretical maximum but I doubt you'd ever get that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement