Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Cycling Club 1893

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Only one bike has a brake - the one to the left of the front wheel of the triplet (not a tandem).
    Not sure when freewheels became common, but it's likely that all these bikes were fixed-wheel, which even today, counts as a brake.

Fabulous picture - here's the B&W original on the National Library's Flickr photstream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/11833296283/in/album-72157651599255125/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The original b&w photo is much better. Though I do hate colourised photos as general rule, the one there is badly done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The original b&w photo is much better. Though I do hate colourised photos as general rule, the one there is badly done.

It looks like someone did it in ms Paint. It's awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect it was done by one of these machine learning colourisation processes. check out the face on the lad at the back, just a shade to the left of centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

3 of them with cigarettes hanging ftom their lips, must have been torture on those bikes with those clothes too.

• Advertisement

the bike at front left seems to have the pedals attached to the front axle.

the bike at front left seems to have the pedals attached to the front axle.

In the comments thread on the Flickr link I posted above, there is reference to this type of bike with this link:

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/bikes-1800s/1896-1899-diamond-frames/1896-crypto-bantam/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bet you they had endless committee meetings about weekend spins and sock length.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

That's some chainring at the back of the tridem.

Be grand with three lads pushing it.

Scary to think of three lads on that (probably a combined weight of ~240KG) and only a fixed wheel for a brake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement