Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you take first??

Options
  • 28-11-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

As I have my deer licence now and rifle is in the works to be granted im curious of this one and maybe its been done to death.
    When out in the field and you come across a doe with a yearling with her what do you shoot first??
    And what are the reasons behind it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I don't shoot deer myself but I imagine you should shoot the animal that can't survive independently first.

Although I take no pleasure in it for example, if culling a family of foxes shoot the cubs first and then the Vixen.

If you shoot the Vixen first the cubs could escape and die of starvation. I wouldn't wish this on any animal.

I imagine the same applies to deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Best practice is to take the calf first, having said that, the location and surrounding cover can dictate the order of things.
    If shooting woodland or there is abundant heavy cover close at hand then I would recommend to shoot the calf first. In this case if the hind bolts don't be to quick to break cover or move your shooting spot as the hind may return to the area. But generally the hind will hold off in cover and try to call the calf into her. If you knock the hind first and the calf bolts then it may stay in cover and not present for a shot.
    If shooting open ground taking the hind first can often lead to the calf staying within close range of the fallen hind. So again if there is no instant follow on the calf don't be quick to break cover or move. Often the calf will break but stop to look for the hind, the fatal look back. Be mindful of shooting out of a group of animals. Here shoot the smaller animals as the remainder of the group can lead the others off regardless of pairings, so the previous advice is more so for individual pairs.
    One other thing, if culling hinds/calves and the conditions allow shoot the largest hind, the matriarch, in the group. This can add a level of confusion among the group as they look for direction and allow for follow up shots. Remember if you take hind, calf and follower you'll have a bit of work ahead of you.
    As always only guidance, remember best laid plans of mice and men....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What I was taught;
    Obviously injured animal of either sex or age ,

Stag with abnormal antler growth,or with foreign bodies on the antlers [IE wire, rope, electric fence wire etc.

Aged hind,calf that can survive by itself and is weaned, mature stag, mature hind,or vice versa depending.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I would always shoot yearling first, given a choice where one of them runs after a shot its best that its the one with best survival prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thanks for the info lads.
    Really appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement