Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be tipping your postman this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

live in an urban area and we always tip at christmas, dont think its an urban/rural divide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

For a nice state pension at the end, why not?

It's not like they're trudging through the wastes of Antarctica risking life and limb to get post to you. They're far better looked after than normal couriers. Nice work if you can get it.

:rolleyes: - There is always the begrudgers. I take it you risk life and limb in your Job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

It's not like they're trudging through the wastes of Antarctica risking life and limb to get post to you. They're far better looked after than normal couriers. Nice work if you can get it.

go wild.

https://www.anpost.com/Working-with-An-Post/Careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

twofish101 wrote: »
    I see it as more like the grease that keeps everything moving smoothly

You make it sound like you're dealing with the mafia or bribing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

A well spent 30eur every year for me, never have issues with post and always a friendly smile and chat from my postie. I also give the bin men 20eur, my bins are always wheeled off the road and left neat and tidy.

In a busy bar a well placed 20eur tip at the start of the night ensures quick service for the rest of the session. Nothing wrong with greasing the skids sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seamai wrote: »
    You make it sound like you're dealing with the mafia.

They kick your parcels around if they dont receive their annual tribute.

Squatman wrote: »

None of those are postmen positions, good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

krissovo wrote: »
    A well spent 30eur every year for me, never have issues with post and always a friendly smile and chat from my postie. I also give the bin men 20eur, my bins are always wheeled off the road and left neat and tidy.

In a busy bar a well placed 20eur tip at the start of the night ensures quick service for the rest of the session. Nothing wrong with greasing the skids sometimes.

I might smile and chat too if I knew it increased the chances of being tipped at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Bombaby1974

I don't normally do this but this has inspired me a little. I have had a lot of packages this year, as have most people so he's worked his balls off I'd say and is always polite etc so yeah, a few quid in a card might not be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I tipped the postman last year, he now knows the dog could bite him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All workers who have paid enough PRSI will get a State Pension.

You may be referring to Public Service Pensions?

Since 1984, postal and telecoms staff are no longer public servants.

An Post is a semi-state company.

Semi-state staff do not receive PS pensions.

An Post have their own pension scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yep €20. Well deserved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I usually give him a present, this year he has been flat out and is doing our parcel deliveries in the afternoon so will add €20 to it.

None of those are postmen positions, good lad.

sorry, you under qualified? good girl

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

Why would I? They bent over and prostituted themselves to Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

will do yeah ours has been doing a stellar job the last few months and always friendly and chatty. Doesnt have to do any to do anything other than deliver the post but he has picked up stuff to go to the post office in bad weather to save the wife dropping down so it would be well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Feeing bad here. I have great chats with my post man when we meet, same guy for 20 years. Never knew people tipped post men. Guess it’s too late to start now.

I don't think so. I too never realised this was a thing. We live rural and our postman has been amazing delivering everything during covid. I feel bad we didn't tip before but i think this year has been so unprecedented that it's acceptable to make a start :)

What's the going rate? I don't want to assume he drinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why would I? They bent over and prostituted themselves to Amazon.

Something I will be eternally grateful for because now we actually get our Amazon stuff fast and without issue. If I was relying on DPD I'd have torn my hair out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

50 Euro sounds awful steep. Do you also tip the binman the same ? The Oil Delivery man ?

I give a tip every year , a bottle or 10 euro.

Crazy giving 50 euro .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

would you do it every day for 47 years? make with the money scrooge

I should have said, my uncle was a postman. He retired on full pension at 56 and bought himself a new car and boat. He is never short of a few quid and the Christmas back handers was obviously a nice earner along with his Salary and contracted entitlements.

Plus, No postman voluntarily works for 47 years.

• Advertisement

sorry, you under qualified? good girl

Whatever.

Plus, No postman voluntarily works for 47 years.

i don't think any voluntarily works as a postman either. I reckon your uncle had a wealthy relative, or frugal living. no-one accumulates wealth working for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

My postman changes daily. It's too hard to form that personal relationship when there is 3 or 4 different people delivering my mail every week.

Same as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

KMFCross wrote: »
    :rolleyes: - There is always the begrudgers. I take it you risk life and limb in your Job.

Ah ffs :pac:, how do postmen risk life and limb?

Most definitely. Large tin of chocolate biscuits earlier this week for Nigel our postman, Christmas custom. Affable chap, the very least he deserves braving the turbulent Irish climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post

KMFCross wrote: »
    Mimon wrote: »
    Ah ffs :pac:, how do postmen risk life and limb?

My comment was in response to whisky's post. But since you ask Postmen work in horrendous weather conditions all the time, through yellow and orange wind and rain warnings, chance of falling debris, wind catching the doors etc. hrough very frosty conditions for both the van and underfoot. There is also the risk from dangerous dogs. The list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Every year give the postie a bottle of wine and a tin of biscuits he goes over and beyond, like ringing you when you aren't at home when delivering a parcel and coming back later rather than us having to go down to the sorting office, a nice bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Never realised this was a thing either. I wonder if the posty declares all these tips to revenue. I'd be friendly enough with my new postman, I must ask him if he'd get much in the way of tips at this time of the year. He delivers to hundreds of houses. That would make quite the Xmas bonus if he was getting €20 here and €50 there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've never heard of tipping the postman /postwoman. I wonder if it's just a country thing or do Dubs tip too?

I have several different An Post delivery people. Sometimes several times a day. Even for regular letter post we have several on my road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never heard of tipping the postman /postwoman. I wonder if it's just a country thing or do Dubs tip too?

I have several different An Post delivery people. Sometimes several times a day. Even for regular letter post we have several on my road.

I'm a Dub and do it as we have had the same postman for years

Advertisement