Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be tipping your postman this year?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I have never heard of anyone I know tipping the postman, we live in Waterford, my family are from Dublin.

Only ever heard of it online tbh, it sounds like a really nice thing to do though, I'd like to start when I have my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I tip my postie 3 or 4 times a week, then again, I'm married to her

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭POBox19

Trouble is, you can get into a habit which becomes expected and then can't stop for fear that the service will deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jaysus, I hope Roy Keane doesn't read this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Squatman

I have never heard of anyone I know tipping the postman, we live in Waterford, my family are from Dublin.

Only ever heard of it online tbh, it sounds like a really nice thing to do though, I'd like to start when I have my own house.

yea, cos you dont get post in rented accomodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't tip the postman but the binmen get tipped

extra waste needs to go during the year?

never an issue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don't tip the postman but the binmen get tipped

Our service has gone to the dogs, so bad, I won't be tipping them this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Squatman wrote: »
    yea, cos you dont get post in rented accomodation

?? who said I lived in rented accomodation

think before you speak :pac:

(of all the places I could live besides rented accomodation)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never heard of tipping the postman /postwoman. I wonder if it's just a country thing or do Dubs tip too?

I have several different An Post delivery people. Sometimes several times a day. Even for regular letter post we have several on my road.

I live in Dublin and have never heard of it either. The postman changes so often you don't get to know them anyway. A lot of them just ring the doorbell and practically run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My Dad doent tip the binmen anymore. Used to tip them €50 between them every year. Same guys do black and green bins for so its easy.
    A few years ago he left the envelope with €50 in it in the hall the night before and aksed me to give it to them when they came in the morning.
    I slept in and heard the bin truck as i woke up.
    Shouted down to the mrs that the money for them was on the hall table.
    She picked it up and ran out the door to find them firing the bins down the middle of driveway and kicking them, knocking the lid off the green one and rubbish blowing everywhere.
    She came back in handed the envelope back to my Dad and said she didnt think he should be tipping them.

She thinks they didnt find a tip and reacted to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Used to tip the binmen when it was the corpo years ago, and the postman.

Now a days its different people all the time so I dont bother.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Squatman

?? who said I lived in rented accomodation

think before you speak :pac:

(of all the places I could live besides rented accomodation)

the point was that you dont need to own a house to get post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I should have said, my uncle was a postman. He retired on full pension at 56 and bought himself a new car and boat. He is never short of a few quid and the Christmas back handers was obviously a nice earner along with his Salary and contracted entitlements.

There is something wrong with that story.

You can't retire at 56 on a full pension even if you have done your 40 years.

The minimum age is 60 and I know someone who was only 58 when he reached 40 years and had to wait until his 60th
    Plus, No postman voluntarily works for 47 years.

Really I know someone who retired after 50 years and he had a pretty serious illness in his 48th year but still wanted to wait until his 65th birthday to retire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Never knew this was a thing. I’ve kept my postman fairly busy this year with all my online shopping along with DPD, Fastway and the rest of the courier companies.

I’m interested in the logistics of tipping though. My postie will leave the package on the doorstep, ring the doorbell and he’s back in the car and halfway down the drive before I open the door.

As for the binmen, I’ve been at home since March and have never once actually seen them.

Do the tippers wait at the door to run out to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never heard of tipping the postman /postwoman. I wonder if it's just a country thing or do Dubs tip too?

I have several different An Post delivery people. Sometimes several times a day. Even for regular letter post we have several on my road.

Its a parts-of-Dublin thing at best as far as I can tell. Binmen in the same areas, as recently mentioned used to expect a tip too.

Due to DPDs text messages I now know the name of their local driver who I've seen at least once a week since March; but I've still not seen my postman in months. I've seen the cargo bike, but not the person using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No tip this year - used to have a regular postman who I'd always give something to but he must have retired last year
    Since then post has gone missing, letters delivered to the wrong house, slams the letterbox when putting stuff in and slams the gate on leaving, not to mention the not "attempted delivery" notices (old regular guy used to call back on his way if we didn't answer the first time) - so feck him

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭smurfette2212

Yep, definitely will be doing this. My folks still do (in Dublin!). Our postman is so good - he has called me to let me know parcels were outside. I’ve told him I’m nearly always here but if I don’t answer it is because the baby is asleep or being fed. He has come back with parcels for me when he has seen the car is in the drive when it wasn’t before. Top postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Always tip our postman €20 at Christmas. He’s reliable and a very nice, obliging man so it’s well deserved. This year I will tip the DPD driver as well as he’s become a regular now and will give €20 to the bin-men also. I don’t ever get a Christmas bonus from my employer but my husband gets a very decent one so it’s nice to give a bit to others and to show a little appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭tscul32

Our postman parks at the entrance to the estate and delivers to the houses. If he was to get a bottle or box of biscuits at each of the 100 houses, he'd never be able to carry them.
    This year is the first year that I actually recognize our postman, usually they change every few days/weeks. But I still only tend to see him from the car as I'm passing by. The bin men I never see, rarely even see the truck. Our bins are collected from and left back at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

tscul32 wrote: »
    Our postman parks at the entrance to the estate and delivers to the houses. If he was to get a bottle or box of biscuits at each of the 100 houses, he'd never be able to carry them.
    This year is the first year that I actually recognize our postman, usually they change every few days/weeks. But I still only tend to see him from the car as I'm passing by. The bin men I never see, rarely even see the truck. Our bins are collected from and left back at the side of the road.

He'd find a way :D even if it meant doing overtime and anyway I don't think he'd be getting his bottle or box of biscuits from everyone on the same day.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭tscul32

He'd find a way :D even if it meant doing overtime and anyway I don't think he'd be getting his bottle or box of biscuits from everyone on the same day.

I'm sure he wouldn't turn them down. But very few of our houses are occupied during the day. Even our own, OH is working from home but wouldn't even know the postman had been until he saw letters on the floor in the hallway. Not sure the tipping happens much where I am, my parents never did it, wouldn't have had the money to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

tscul32 wrote: »
    I'm sure he wouldn't turn them down. But very few of our houses are occupied during the day. Even our own, OH is working from home but wouldn't even know the postman had been until he saw letters on the floor in the hallway. Not sure the tipping happens much where I am, my parents never did it, wouldn't have had the money to spare.

I can see where you are coming from. When I started the thread I should have pointed out that we are in a rural area and see the postman most days.

The postman sounds the van horn as he drives past the house the dogs go mad run for the gate and we go out to pick up our mail. We've asked him to use the van horn it so we can get out to him quicker.

If we aren't there even with the dogs the postman will open the gate drive down the drive and leave any mail on the backdoor step. More importantly he stops and shuts the gate again on the way out.

None of the couriers or the meter reader ever risk coming down the drive, not that there is anything to fear except fear itself which the dogs spot in an instant.

Wake me up when it's all over.

How about the milkman, cousin use to be 1(10+ years ago) and the Xmas fortnight was the equivalent of 4 extra weeks wages

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How about the milkman, cousin use to be 1(10+ years ago) and the Xmas fortnight was the equivalent of 4 extra weeks wages

God are there still milk rounds? :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have no idea who my postman is tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

pc7 wrote:
    God are there still milk rounds?

10+ years ago, thing of the past, unless in major urban centres

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

pc7 wrote: »
    God are there still milk rounds? :eek:

Aye I live in Kinsealy and we have our milk man the last few years we pay the bill online

Advertisement