Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week Ban from Covid 19 Threads

Options
  • 28-11-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Specifically in relation to a post of mine on the Relaxation of restrictions thread

I have been banned without explanation for posting "LOL" or laugh out load in long hand, in reaction to a post

This is the PM that I got, I did not ignore any instructions because there were none relevant to this time period.
    Necro wrote:
    Dear Banana Republic 1,

You have been banned from Coronavirus (COVID-19) for one week for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Necro

Moderator Note

Breach of threadban = 1 week forum ban. Do not post in this thread on your return to the forum or sanctions will increase

Your post:
    Ah come on, I'm trying to enjoy my black pudding

Lol

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The above PM is simply the one advising you of the ban

Have you attempted to follow up with the mod via PM to resolve this directly?

Just to clarify one point - the PM you did receive makes it quite clear that you had been instructed not to post in the thread again, and you ignored that instruction when making your "Lol" comment. It was nothing to do with what you said and all to do with the fact you posted after being told not to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Beasty wrote: »
    The above PM is simply the one advising you of the ban

Have you attempted to follow up with the mod via PM to resolve this directly?

Just to clarify one point - the PM you did receive makes it quite clear that you had been instructed not to post in the thread again, and you ignored that instruction when making your "Lol" comment. It was nothing to do with what you said and all to do with the fact you posted after being told not to

I was banned for 1 day on the 25th today is the 28th. Once the ban was lifted I got a message from the Auto thing of same and also that thread/forum was reinstated back to My Threads list. Also the mod Necro, as above, posted on the thread the I should stop post here for 24hrs, from the 25th

Private Message: You have been banned
    25-11-2020, 23:24
    Ted_YNWA
    Mod: After Hours, Conspiracy Theories, Current Affairs/IMHO, ZTest
    You have been banned
    Dear Banana Republic 1,

You have been banned from Coronavirus (COVID-19) for one day for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

Ted_YNWA

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The first part of the dispute process is to try and resolve it directly with the mod in question via PM. You are posting copies of PMs received, but there is no indication of whether you replied to the mods to try and resolve your dispute(s)

As you have now mentioned an earlier forum ban, are you also challenging that?

You need to engage directly with the relevant mod(s) via PM before starting a thread here. It's all set out at the head of the forum, or if on the Touch site in the sticky "Instructions on how to dispute a ban or infraction"

The first part of the dispute process is to try and resolve it directly with the mod in question via PM. You are posting copies of PMs received, but there is no indication of whether you replied to the mods to try and resolve your dispute(s)

As you have now mentioned an earlier forum ban, are you also challenging that?

You need to engage directly with the relevant mod(s) via PM before starting a thread here. It's all set out at the head of the forum, or if on the Touch site in the sticky "Instructions on how to dispute a ban or infraction"

Fine

1 I am not challenging the original ban and to suggest that is typical but not unexpected.
    2 Based on the fact that I’m not challenging the first ban your second point is irrelevant and in any event what would it matter if ever contacted them as long as restrictions were observed.
    3 I’m not looking for an answer to part 1 or 2.

Regards
    BR

Have you PM'd Necro in connection with the second ban to try and resolve this directly with the mod? This appeal does not proceed here until you have done so and exhausted that avenue of appeal

• Advertisement

Have you PM'd Necro in connection with the second ban to try and resolve this directly with the mod? This appeal does not proceed here until you have done so and exhausted that avenue of appeal

Yes this is the reply:

Date: 28/11/2020 | 20:03
    It's quite simple

You were told not to post in the thread by myself and this threadban was never lifted.

You subsequently posted in that thread and as a result the forum ban was applied for one week.

My response.
    To: Necro
    Date: 28/11/2020 | 20:39
    It was lifted automatically after the 24 hour period was up I received a notification telling me of the fact by the automated system. you posted the notification you’re self on the thread Saying do not post for 24 hours. That was on the 25th today is the 28th.

Thanks for confirming you have now attempted to resolve this directly with the mod

Before moving this on, I think it best if I advise you of some of the processes here

I have looked at the mod instruction for you not to post, and set it out below:
    Mod:

Seeing as you're admitting to trolling, don't post in this thread again

Thanks.
    Necro posted that at 12:53 on the 25th
    Please note there was no time limit applied in that warning

Later on that day (at 23:24), Ted YNWA issued a 1 day forum ban for "trolling"

That forum ban was independent from the threadban. A forum ban means you cannot post in a forum at all, and that is enforced by the system. A threadban requires self-restraint

You received notification on the evening of the 26th that your forum ban was over - that was a system-generated PM. However it only addressed your forum ban. You need to get specific clearance from a mod that a threadban has been lifted

You will note the PM from the mod you quote above states:
    You were told not to post in the thread by myself and this threadban was never lifted.

The 1 week forum ban is for posting in the thread when the threadban (as opposed to the forum ban) had not been lifted

I wanted you to understand the different processes surrounding thread and forum bans.

In light of this could you please confirm if you still wish to pursue this appeal here

Thanks for confirming you have now attempted to resolve this directly with the mod

Before moving this on, I think it best if I advise you of some of the processes here

I have looked at the mod instruction for you not to post, and set it out below:

Necro posted that at 12:53 on the 25th
    Please note there was no time limit applied in that warning

Later on that day (at 23:24), Ted YNWA issued a 1 day forum ban for "trolling"

That forum ban was independent from the threadban. A forum ban means you cannot post in a forum at all, and that is enforced by the system. A threadban requires self-restraint

You received notification on the evening of the 26th that your forum ban was over - that was a system-generated PM. However it only addressed your forum ban. You need to get specific clearance from a mod that a threadban has been lifted

You will note the PM from the mod you quote above states:

The 1 week forum ban is for posting in the thread when the threadban (as opposed to the forum ban) had not been lifted

I wanted you to understand the different processes surrounding thread and forum bans.

In light of this could you please confirm if you still wish to pursue this appeal here

Yes I do

I understand now days later but as I recived no pm notifying me that these were separate and as such I took them as being one in the same.

I had contacted the mod necro advising him that as far as I was concerned I was being intimidated by at least 18 members on that thread, who thanked him for banning me, but he took absolutely no notice of this. He did reply but it was along the lines of if you don’t like the thread don’t get involved. He also went onto thread ban one of these eighteen who was particularly aggressive toward me and others only to later reinstate this individual following a conversation.
    This person once reinstated continued doing exactly what he was doing before, calling for public figures to be assaulted and such.

I don’t particularly care about this thread but it’s the manner in which these things have happened.
    I have made at least four posts on that thread today, I was under the impression I could as previously explained but my suspicion is that this mod picked this exact post, “lol” to annoy me as I previously questioned how he was moderating or not this thread.

Thank you

I will alert the CMods to this thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi,

To confirm, you are appealing the one-week ban you recieved for violating the threadban.

Can you either post the PM's between yourself and the moderator here or forward them to me please if you haven't posted all of them here already?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

You have been banned
    Dear Banana Republic 1,

You have been banned from Coronavirus (COVID-19) for one day for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members. We don't want that here.

Ted_YNWA

I received the above on the same day as the mod Necro posted a thread ban on me for trolling, as a post, within the Relaxation of Covid restrictions thread, I thought these were one in the same and deferred to the PM guidelines.

On 28th November I received the below PM from Necro at this stage I had automatically been lifted out of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) forum ban and I didn't understand what was happening. I also did not understand what was offensive about the post I handmade, the typical banning reason.
    28-11-2020, 14:02
    Necro
    Dear Banana Republic 1,

You have been banned from Coronavirus (COVID-19) for one week for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

Moderator Note

Breach of threadban = 1 week forum ban. Do not post in this thread on your return to the forum or sanctions will increase

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c montgomery View Post
    Ah come on, I'm trying to enjoy my black pudding
    Lol

I followed up with this
    Recipients: Necro
    28-11-2020, 16:52
    Banana Republic 1
    Re: You have been banned
    Explain this please as I’ve no idea what it’s about.

28-11-2020, 20:03
    Necro

It's quite simple
    You subsequently posted in that thread and as a result the forum ban was applied for one week.

My Response
    28-11-2020, 20:39
    Banana Republic 1

It was lifted automatically after the 24 hour period was up I received a notification telling me of the fact by the automated system. you posted the notification you’re self on the thread Saying do not post for 24 hours. That was on the 25th today is the 28th.

Necro
    28-11-2020, 20:42
    Necro

Nope. That was your forum ban which was administered by another mod. Threadban was administered by myself with no time specified and I haven't agreed or been convinced in the merit of lifting it yet.

The OP of the thread has a list of all threadbanned posters

If you are unhappy with the decision you are free to use the Dispute Resolution Forum
    Regards,
    Necro

28-11-2020, 20:48
    Banana Republic 1

You never sent me a pm about it so I took the one I did get as being the one in the same. I even communicated with that mod about the same issue ‘trolling’
    28-11-2020, 20:50
    Necro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1
    You never sent me a pm about it so I took the one I did get as being the one in the same. I even communicated with that mod about the same issue ‘trolling’
    You received notification on thread and indeed reported posts acknowledging the threadban.

So that doesn't really wash with me to be honest.

As I said you are free to use the Dispute Resolution Forum if you are unhappy with my decision

Regards,

Necro
    28-11-2020, 20:50
    Banana Republic 1
    It did have a time limit 24 hours as you said in the thread.
    Necro
    28-11-2020, 20:52

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1
    It did have a time limit 24 hours as you said in the thread.
    Incorrect, the on post message stated

Quote:

Thanks.
    No time limit.

Regards,
    Necro

28-11-2020, 21:05
    Banana Republic 1

I never admitted to anything but you took no notice of my explanation of what was going on in that thread at the time an still is but you took no notice of that and lifted the ban on actual trolls within a few hours instead.

I posted to Beasty just before he decided to alert the Cmods at 28-11-2020, 21:47 I believe this is relevant.

I first made sent a pm to necro on the 26th about a day after he posted a thread ban.
    26-11-2020, 19:08
    Banana Republic 1

Response to thread ban
    In relation to the thread, relaxation of covid restrictions, I publicly received a ban for apparently trolling. However I have yet to receive an email of explanation which would include the option to reply. It’s my opinion that at least 5 members who are very prominent poster to this thread continually use aggressive language in there posts that could be classed as hate speech. Rrrr12 makes personal attacks and generally bullies and belittles any dissenting voices.

He is not the only poster who does this and if you look back on your post notifying me of a 24 hour ban there are at least 10 who consistently attack posters in the manner I outlined. I have also noticed that these members always add their thanks to each other’s posts which to me clearly shows that they are trolls.

You did apparently ban Rrrr12 only for him to be allowed back following a “conversation” he/she then carried on doing what he was doing, aggressively posting attacking public figures for example, suggesting they should be physically assaulted and so on.

My question is why are these characters not removed for doing things far worse then I apparently did. Note also that I only resorted to one word answers because these members were being abusive to me seemingly without consequence.

26-11-2020, 19:15
    Necro

Re: Response to thread ban
    Mod actions of other users are not up for discussion.

That particular thread has a strong anti-restriction sentiment, so you will find that posters of the same mind tend to gravitate there to agree with each other.

You are absolutely entitled to challenge their opinions however taking the thread off topic and posting about lizard kings sending you to annoy people in my view is trolling.

I suggest you ignore that thread entirely, there is lots of pro-restriction discussion in the main Covid thread (the one with the case and death numbers in the title).

With regards to your forum ban, you would need to speak to the banning mod, I did not issue the forum ban merely the threadban, which is still in place.

Regards,

Necro

26-11-2020, 20:26
    Banana Republic 1

Re: Response to thread ban
    I’m both pro and anti however the language used is beyond excessive as far as the no of this forum are concerned. A valid conspiracy theory in my opinion is that you fully support their behaviour based on your apparent lack of action. Frankly you can have whatever opinions you like but they are not conducive with being a moderator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. Please bear with me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Hi Banana Republic 1,

I've had a chance to look into this for you. I'm going to uphold the one week ban as you were threadbanned and this is the standard sanction for violating a threadban. Threadbans operate via an instruction from a mod not to post in a specific thread and are only lifted via an explicit indication from a moderator. You reported the below post which doesn't specify a fixed duration for the threadban so I think it's fair to say that you knew that you were threadbanned.
    Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Thanks.

Please let me know if you would like to appeal for an admin review.

Hi Banana Republic 1,

I've had a chance to look into this for you. I'm going to uphold the one week ban as you were threadbanned and this is the standard sanction for violating a threadban. Threadbans operate via an instruction from a mod not to post in a specific thread and are only lifted via an explicit indication from a moderator. You reported the below post which doesn't specify a fixed duration for the threadban so I think it's fair to say that you knew that you were threadbanned.

Please let me know if you would like to appeal for an admin review.

I knew I had received a thread ban on the 25th yes however later on that night I got a pm from another mod saying I had gotten a 24hr ban for the same thing and I simply assumed these were the one in the same and seeing as I got accesses to all the threads in the covid forum after 24 hours I got it into my head that everything was square again. Did I go off half cocked, yes I had just started posting again after months and I had forgotten what was what.

I frankly don't give a damn about the thread in question but what did annoy me was all this started after the moderator Necro stepped in my cause labelling me troll when that entire thread had been taken over by actual paid for trolls in my view who were going completely unchecked, one of them, the main poster, even got reinstated after a "conversation" with the moderator only to go back to business as usual again unchecked.

I knew I had received a thread ban on the 25th yes however later on that night I got a pm from another mod saying I had gotten a 24hr ban for the same thing and I simply assumed these were the one in the same and seeing as I got accesses to all the threads in the covid forum after 24 hours I got it into my head that everything was square again. Did I go off half cocked, yes I had just started posting again after months and I had forgotten what was what.

I frankly don't give a damn about the thread in question but what did annoy me was all this started after the moderator Necro stepped in my cause labelling me troll when that entire thread had been taken over by actual paid for trolls in my view who were going completely unchecked, one of them, the main poster, even got reinstated after a "conversation" with the moderator only to go back to business as usual again unchecked.

Are you referring to the notification PM of the one day ban? That's an automated message generated when a card or ban is issued.

I'm afraid that this thread is solely for addressing your one-week ban. As before, please let me know if you want an admin review and I will request one for you.

OP, I'll leave this open for another couple of days for you to confirm whether you wish this to be looked at by an Admin

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement