Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Meanwhile in Spain!
    The Spanish government has called on people to behave responsibly and use their “common sense” after pictures over the weekend showed the streets of Madrid and other big cities heaving with crowds despite the country’s ongoing struggle with the second wave of the coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/30/spain-appeals-for-covid-common-sense-after-weekend-crowd-scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

eagle eye wrote: »
    30 years ago almost everybody would get the vaccine as soon as it became available. Social media has changed that because many less intelligent people are easily influenced by agenda driven organisers.

yup. there's a good few people i know now that have become radicalised from facebook over the last year, latching on to every single conspiracy theory going, anti vaccine stuff, hilary clinton, bill gates, you name it. previously these people were sensible, rational people. there is zero convincing them otherwise. it's really sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

On mobile so can’t see Sunday’s swabs but last 24hrs is just 190, 2.1% positive.

Edit: 338 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

On mobile so can’t see Sunday’s swabs but last 24hrs is just 190, 2.1% positive.

Edit: 338 on Sunday.

Theres enough of a backlog there to crank the worry meter right up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes there could be quite a large number due and we haven't opened a single thing yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Cases in Kilkenny linked back to a primary school.

One specific case in my locality the parent got infected by the child and passed it onto 9 work colleagues.

Mass tested the school now as well. No wonder the numbers are so high when there covering up the school data like theirs no tomorrow.

Is the school in Kilkenny city or county. Is that why the numbers shot up there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40110698.html

Wouldn't you think that by now newspapers and news outlets would have learned not to print pictures of people wearing masks incorrectly?

There seems to be more pictures of people with masks under the nose/chin than of people wearing them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes there could be quite a large number due and we haven't opened a single thing yet

I guess it could have been worse. We could have had 300 swabs today plus the backlog, could have been 500+ cases! Good to see swabs below 200 today anyway, and hopefully they will fall this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The CSO says mental health and morale have "dropped significantly" in recent months

Is it any wonder with the way the media are reporting things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 didyoufart?

frank8211 wrote: »
    Is the school in Kilkenny city or county. Is that why the numbers shot up there

If the mods will let me post ill post it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

El Sueño wrote: »
    The CSO says mental health and morale have "dropped significantly" in recent months

Is it any wonder with the way the media are reporting things?

Think there's more to it than that tbh

I know that while I've adapted to wfh all of the time, I miss interacting with people in person and it makes me feel down much more than media reporting

My Oh is really struggling with the isolation which I also find hard as I'm the one trying to support him also

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So what the story with pubs and restaurants are there time limits and is it booking only ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So what the story with pubs and restaurants are there time limits and is it booking only ?

One of our locals is doing walk ins only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

last 24hrs is just 190, 2.1% positive.
    Good start to the new week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

No time limits if they keep 2m as per previous rules i read somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

also in kilkenny county a person working in doctors surgery contracted covid, the numbers in the locality also shot up, but thats what a virus does, it transmits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    No vaccine is mandatory. If they were we wouldn't have measles outbreaks so why do you imagine they'd do it here?

If measles were of pandemic proportions it might be .
    Not saying this will be made mandatory but if there isn't a high enough uptake to generate herd immunity who knows what measures may be taken by governments .
    I would not rule it out .

Edit I doubt that there will be a need in Ireland despite what some say here, and I very much doubt that any Irish government would go that far .
    It will be the social pressure that endures the undecided will get vaccinated, so that they can go to a gig or travel with friends to countries like Australia or New Zealand etc.
    Also noises being made by employers wanting their present and prospective employees vaccinated.
    I know jobs in healthcare will depend on immunity, as in the necessity to have hepatitis , chicken pox and other jabs up to date to work in the sector .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why would there be a need for herd immunity if the vaccine is available for those who want it?
    Is it because that some people can't take the vaccine because of medical reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 didyoufart?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Vaccine needs to reach 60-70% of population to be effective so not really about whether someone personally needs it or not. It's about people doing their bit to protect others and limit transmission as much as possible.

50% of deaths are from nursing homes. How about starting there and blaming the government with their incompetence regarding nursing homes. Mandatory testing should of happening of all staff and residents like professional sports athletes.

Look what happened with the swine flu vacinne and the side effects that destroyed lives so I will certainly not be taking it for the first couple of years at least.

If the government really wanted to eradicate the virus theyd have shut the schools and get the numbers down to 50 again like the summer until the vacinne is out. Would closing the schools for another six months really had made that much of a difference.

The death toll in Ireland is lower than last year but the media doesn't tell you that.

Most Covid deaths people had an underlying illness like heart disease. If you have an underlying illness protect yourself.

Media are great at scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Stheno wrote: »
    Think there's more to it than that tbh

I know that while I've adapted to wfh all of the time, I miss interacting with people in person and it makes me feel down much more than media reporting

Ya, I don't think its necessarily any one aspect, its the whole 9 months and the cumulative effect of everything. I mean if someone had said at Christmas last year how this year would turn out they'd have been locked up.
    We're all basically the first generation who haven't really had a major world event that caused massive upheaval. Most generations, say prior to the 1950s, had some class of a war or conflict or even a pandemic to deal with. Pretty much 70 years of relative peace and prosperity (thankfully) and its caught us all on the hop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

froog wrote: »
    every single conspiracy theory going, anti vaccine stuff, hilary clinton, bill gates,

Since when did Mr Microsoft become Dr Evil. Maybe too many people watched
    0000781852.jpg
    at an impressionable age...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

If the mods will let me post ill post it.

Was just wondering if its in north of county where there is big cluster in a school with subsequent knock on consequences locally . That's a 2nd level school though

JDD wrote: »
    Isn't it much more likely that the virus would mutate into something less serious rather than more serious? I'm not saying that it's impossible for it to get more serious, but I think it's more likely that it would mutate in the other direction.

Mandatory vaccination is an uncomfortable subject for any government to talk about. It conjures ideas of doctors holding you down and jabbing you, when in fact it is more likely to be a once off €50 fine. Not enough of a fine to encourage those who truly believe that its a bad idea to take the vaccine, but enough for the "I couldn't be bothered" brigade to turn up at the pharmacy.

That being said, it's not a law I would want to be in place unless we really really needed it.

Not more serious or less serious, just a specific mutation to the way the virus enters cells and causes infection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I guess it could have been worse. We could have had 300 swabs today plus the backlog, could have been 500+ cases! Good to see swabs below 200 today anyway, and hopefully they will fall this week.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

50% of deaths are from nursing homes. How about starting there and blaming the government with their incompetence regarding nursing homes.

All countries where the virus spread widely lost a lot of nursing home residents. In retrospect ultra-drastic steps should have been taken like isolating the entire 'community' and requiring anyone like HCWs going in to wear full PPE. But would staff have been prepared to do that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All countries where the virus spread widely lost a lot of nursing home residents. In retrospect ultra-drastic steps should have been taken like isolating the entire 'community' and requiring anyone like HCWs going in to wear full PPE. But would staff have been prepared to do that?

Perhaps they should have been removed from the homes and placed in dedicated hospital care with stricter controls?
    I'm not sure, but lots of countries made mistakes with this. Very regrettable.

El Sueño wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40110698.html

Wouldn't you think that by now newspapers and news outlets would have learned not to print pictures of people wearing masks incorrectly?

There seems to be more pictures of people with masks under the nose/chin than of people wearing them properly

Those two are pictured outdoors in a practically empty street!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Goldengirl wrote: »
    If measles were of pandemic proportions it might be .
    Not saying this will be made mandatory but if there isn't a high enough uptake to generate herd immunity who knows what measures may be taken by governments .
    I would not rule it out .
    Measles has a R0 of 16, so a potential to spread rapidly! We've never done it and it's a really excessive measure to even consider. We will get to 50% and 60% easily, probably 70% so it's a moot point. If people don't, continued restrictions are a big enough stick anyway.

I just booked dinner for two in a different local to the walk in one

They have distinct two hour slots, so 6-8/8-10 and there is no deviation

Another place on Facebook is only taking bookings for 4-6 people

All a bit random tbh

The one with the slots is our favourite place to go they are very strict with rules etc which we like

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Measles has a R0 of 16, so a potential to spread rapidly! We've never done it and it's a really excessive measure to even consider. We will get to 50% and 60% easily, probably 70% so it's a moot point.

I agree with you !
    I had edited my post there but you probably didn't see it when you posted .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement