Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do you think the data is given to the EMA & FDA as press release.

We're not going to start administering based on press release.

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about this, the people who get the full data first are the regulatory bodies and thats completely proper.
    Of course it is. The other side is also true. Public health doctors cant be asked to plan the rollout of a vaccine when they dont have any data. They prepare plans and contingencies and hope one of them will match.

I thought it was very funny the other day that the who press conference was asked to pass judgement on the oxford virus.

Their response was they hadn't any data and couldn't judge based on a press release.

Sky news ran it as breaking news for hours

World health organisation needs more than a press release to judge vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Can anyone advise of where is best to book a private COVID test? What company is best? I’m in the midlands area and need a test prior to Christmas with a quick turnaround. Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I hope they mandate it for music festivals like Glastonbury etc... Will present a real dilemma the anti vax leftie type crowd that swarm to those things.

Anti vax, leftie?

That’s very wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What did government and Nphet think would happen by closing non essential retail 9 weeks before Christmas? A phrase joined our lexicon in the last few months 'pent up demand'. The word idiot is being applied to the wrong people.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Body integrity or not, you may just have to get a vaccine cert for travel. Example is Polio, still active in Pakistan and in 2014, the WHO made it mandatory for all people traveling from Pakistan to carry a polio vaccination certificate. If we want to go to some places we have to get a load of jabs against the local diseases. Most people have no problem getting vaccinated against mumps, measels, whooping cough and what not for their kids. Why not against covid?
    https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/pakistan-resumes-polio-vaccination-after-4-month-hiatus/1916188

I'd be very surprised if we won't need a vaccination certificate to travel to Australia, NZ, SE Asia or any of the islands in that part of the world. Don't think that Europe or North America would go for it though, and will rely on testing instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

What did government and Nphet think would happen by closing non essential retail 9 weeks before Christmas? A phrase joined our lexicon in the last few months 'pent up demand'. The word idiot is being applied to the wrong people.

Now we'll have to listen to the same people moaning about people queuing outside in the fresh air.

Sure penny's let the customers in at 6:40.

My mental wife is going up to Dundrum tonight for the novelty

Im looking at the webcam facing Pennys O Connell street Dublin,

and no queues.

Good idea by Pennys to open early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Gael23 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying you have to get it but of you chose not to then can’t board flights, attend large events and you must work from home full time.

Don’t see anything wrong with that

When did you become ruler of the world?

GazzaL wrote: »
    Now we'll have to listen to the same people moaning about people queuing outside in the fresh air.

Whilst they are in the queue. ;-)

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I hope they mandate it for music festivals like Glastonbury etc... Will present a real dilemma the anti vax leftie type crowd that swarm to those things.

Maybe they'll refuse entry to those who are vaccinated.

• Advertisement

I don’t agree with McConkey on much, but I do on what he said last night re vaccine data. Where is it? Why is it not available for our public health officials to study? We need the data for Pfizer, Astrazenca and Moderna published now.
    You can’t just start administering a vaccine based on press releases.
    As for this idea he has of never ending restrictions unless we’re a zero Covid island...he’s really run out of ideas to keep suggesting that and still thinks we’re New Zealand or the Azores or somewhere similarly isolated. Northern Ireland, U.K. soon to leave EU rules & ‘regain their sovereignty’. EU and ECDC trying a more coordinated approach to travel which we’ve finally signed up to. That’s the way forward once this wave passes.

The more scientists that can see the data the more chance there is of finding issues. Get it approved first and you can then fire ahead while suppressing the issues afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

HSE operations update

In hospital 222 (decrease of 35)
    In ICU 30 (no change)

That’s a significant drop. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I doubt any business will give a flying shíte about the minority of anti-vax loons. The issue will be them going to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

****ing hell...

You pose a question about what could happen if you do or do not get the vaccine, the terms "an anti vaxxer" and a "loon" are branded about without even mentioning if you're going to get the vaccine or not, as they tell you that people will deserve to be cut off from society, to lose their job and to never be let into places if they don't get the vaccine, whilst assuming their political stance in life (Christ :D )
    In between all that, there's a guy, logging on and calling his wife an idiot, giving away her personal plans for the morning so anyone who knows her could log on, see it and land him in serious ****.

I despair... Genuinely. Some absolute horrible people in society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So by 21 Dec we are going to be at 1000 cases a day.

I can see level 5 from 26 th onwards.

So by 21 Dec we are going to be at 1000 cases a day.

I can see level 5 from 26 th onwards.

5,000 and level 10 from midnight on the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

5,000 and level 10 from midnight on the 25th.

It only took 14-15 days to go from 300 approx to 1000 last time.

Yeah but there wasn't huuuuuuge queues outside Penny's for underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Do you think the data is given to the EMA & FDA as press release.

We're not going to start administering based on press release.

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about this, the people who get the full data first are the regulatory bodies and thats completely proper.

As I answered in vaccine thread, what’s hard to grasp is the fact our ‘esteemed’ professors are on national TV stating the data hasn’t been published. For someone such as myself unfamiliar with the procedures, this raises questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

MOR316 wrote: »
    ****ing hell...

You pose a question about what could happen if you do or do not get the vaccine, the terms "an anti vaxxer" and a "loon" are branded about without even mentioning if you're going to get the vaccine or not, as they tell you that people will deserve to be cut off from society, to lose their job and to never be let into places if they don't get the vaccine, whilst assuming their political stance in life (Christ :D )
    In between all that, there's a guy, logging on and calling his wife an idiot, giving away her personal plans for the morning so anyone who knows her could log on, see it and land him in serious ****.

Racist.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

MOR316 wrote: »
    ****ing hell...

It's just ignorance. I don't believe you'll hear those who actually know what they are talking about calling people 'anti'vaxers' and 'loons' just because they are hesitant. Some gobsh*tes just pick a side, any side, and go in heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anti vax, leftie?

That’s very wrong...

Possibly the original type?

The good old "Earth Mother", not putting "Chemicals" in my childrens' bodies type of anti vaxx vs the new model macho wingnut "Irish patriot" masks are muzzles for sheep & 5G is Satans Spectrum anti vaxx?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Shops closed, people unable to shop for weeks and there's surprise when the shops are busy when they reopen.

Have some people been living under a rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm seeing a lot of false or incorrect case projections for xmas.

On the 25th there will be 1000 cases, 2000 on the 26th and upto 12,000 by the 12th day of christmas.

After that the maths breaks down, its like looking into a black hole.

People need to be outraged about something. Queue outrage should die by the weekend. It'll be just in time for people to lose it over some picture comparing crowds on streets to a weekend mid lockdown when hospitality was shut.
    I for one am delighted to see businesses potentially able to get back on their feet before Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

People need to be outraged about something. Queue outrage should die by the weekend. It'll be just in time for people to lose it over some picture comparing crowds on streets to a weekend mid lockdown when hospitality was shut.

Exactly. Can’t wait for the hysterical twitter posts - “look at queues, there’s going to be 20,000 deaths because a few people only distanced 1.5m outside Penney’s.

This pandemic has taught us that a lot of people don’t care about what others need to keep sane and how they provide. If some people’s sanity is resorted by going to the shops, then great. If some people can get clothes cheaper, that’s great. I know some people can’t fathom why people need to leave their house, but you do you, and let people do what they’re allowed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

She's probably going to buy you something special.

14 day quarrantine when she returns?

I'm that typical husband that spends a fortune on their wives only to be given socks and jocks in return

Breaking news just now: Pfizer and Biontech have today applied to the European Medicines Agency for conditional marketing authorisation (EUA).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The "turning an oil tanker" analogy is the best one when it comes to this virus. When you first turn the wheel, you can barely even feel the ship moving at all.

Case numbers don't change on a whim. The seeds are sown and don't sprout for 14-21 days.

So *if* we see an upward change in case numbers, it won't be till December at the very earliest.

By that point they will still have been on a continuous downward trend from where we are now.

If we take the worst case scenario where cases stay flat till the 15th and then begin a sharp upward trend, you're still talking about New Year before we're back in 4 digits.

More likely, with hospitality closed until Friday we won't see any remarkable change in cases caused by today's easing of restrictions.

We *may* see small bump in numbers around the 25th as the impact from opening restaurants is felt. But we know level 3 general works, so it won't be as bad as expected.

The most noticeable jump in cases will be around the first week in January as the impact of opening up on the 18th is felt. Imposing tighter restrictions on the 6th then should (in theory) ensure that we get cases back down and under control before we see any serious problems emerge.

The wildcard here is peoples' behaviour. If people throw caution to the wind and go "ah shure it's Xmas, we can lock down in January", then the spike in early January could be huge.

If people accept that this is a one-year deal and make a good faith effort to stick with the guidelines, then any increase in cases should be manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Just wondering what people’s opinion / expectations are with vaccines around the corner and with experts saying they won’t eliminate COVID what daily numbers will be exceptable to people to open back up to some normality. I would imagine if a country like England had our daily numbers they would be happy to open up to relative normality with a vaccine slowing transmission. What would our number be with our population size.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement