Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

RTE is funded by the license fee, if you can receive a signal you legally cannot 'avoid buying content' So negative leaning news sells holds no water in the case of RTE unless it's an editorial decision to do so.

not strictly true. RTE also sells ad time. the more viewers RTE gets, the more they can charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Russman wrote: »
    But that’s not what he said, or at least I’ve just watched it back there and can’t see where he says that.

You mean 2 politicians were economical with the truth .

That never happens :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

RTE is funded by the license fee, if you can receive a signal you legally cannot 'avoid buying content' So negative leaning news sells holds no water in the case of RTE unless it's an editorial decision to do so.

While RTE might be part funded by license fees, it is also funded by advertising. Viewership figures directly control the price they can charge for these advertising spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

El Sueño wrote: »
    There's a balance to be struck.

Rte focus exclusively on the negatives.

That's the issue

Eh... no they don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

froog wrote: »
    not strictly true. RTE also sells ad time. the more viewers RTE gets, the more they can charge for it.

There is still no financial benefit to RTE to push a negative news agenda solely as a commercial decision. They are the national broadcaster and as such will always command a higher audience.Some of the reporting by RTE throughout this crisis I believe breaches the trust the public places in the organisation and to a degree is damaging and irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a balance to be struck.
    Rte focus exclusively on the negatives.
    That's the issue
    I rarely read RTE or watch Irish television. The odd timevan.artivle pops up on my newsfeed from them that interests me and I'll read it.
    So I just went on to their website and there is a story about the purchase of a vaccine which I can't imagine is negative. There is a report on a survey as regards thoughts on people entering Ireland from red regions, hardly negative.
    There's an article about the cost of the level 5 lockdown on the economy and health. I'd imagine it's pretty grim reading.
    And finally an article about steady trading today as restrictions relaxed.
    There's a story then about Northern Ireland deaths passing 1k.

So one article out of five that I'd call from reading as a dweller in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

froog wrote: »
    i mean news will always be negative leaning, has been since the dawn of newspapers. it's what sells. and who's fault is that? the news or the people who continue to buy it?

i think it's a bit unfair to single out RTE in this regard.
    I watch BBC, Virgin and Sky news none are as negative on their covid coverage as RTÉ.

There is still no financial benefit to RTE to push a negative news agenda solely as a commercial decision. They are the national broadcaster and as such will always command a higher audience.Some of the reporting by RTE throughout this crisis I believe breaches the trust the public places in the organisation and to a degree is damaging and irresponsible.

more negativity, more viewers, more profit from selling ads. it's been true for every news source since the dawn of newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I feel sorry for all the people who have lost their jobs and I feel even worse that any of the people in RTE still have theirs.

I watch BBC, Virgin and Sky news none are as negative on their covid coverage as RTÉ.

well BBC is fully state funded, they have no ads to sell.

i do agree RTE is more negative than other channels though. just pointing out channels are money making entities, and negativity is what sells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

growleaves wrote: »

On the contrary, we've been told ad naseum for months now that old people are the at risk group. Anyone who thinks everyone has the same risk of dying from COVID is completely ignorant, there is no government on earth pushing that line or anything close, not least the American government or media or health workers who could only be accused of lackadaisical downplaying rather than promoting fear in the population.

Anyway, don't know who he is but there's also some incorrect facts in that piece. 90% of American COVID deaths are certainly not from a 1% at risk group.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/most-us-coronavirus-deaths-ages-65-older-cdc-report-2020-3?r=US&IR=T
    20% of Americans COVID deaths are aged 64 or younger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Obesity is also a major factor in COVID cases

Add in the healthcare mess in the US, people are scared to go to hospital for fear of being bankrupted by the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Obesity is also a major factor in COVID cases

Add in the healthcare mess in the US, people are scared to go to hospital for fear of being bankrupted by the costs.
    Heart disease was our biggest comorbidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

bb1234567 wrote: »

Anyway, don't know who he is but there's also some incorrect facts in that piece.

It's from LifeSiteNews, they're not exactly known for objective reporting.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/30/asia/wuhan-china-covid-intl/index.html

Very interesting report into the early response from China to Covid 19, the video is a good watch.

I’m no fan of China, and they did a lot wrong, but I think this is harsh on them. They didn’t know what they had and they were the first to have to work out how to diagnose and deal with it. The suggestion from someone in that video that had China done something different, then it might not have spread as much is just nonsense. It would got everywhere eventually, no matter what China did. Even if they’d nuked Hubei province on day 1, someone would have already got out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

18 new deaths reported (15 in November, 1 in October, 2 under investigation)

269 new confirmed cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

73 cases in Dublin, 20 in Kilkenny, 20 in Limerick, 19 in Louth, 19 in Tipp.

Remainder spread across 20 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is it all McConkey or is it also that people can't grill him effectively? He's done his reputation no favours at all with his behaviour during this.

Reputations will be decided when this is all over, not in the middle of it. We don’t know if he is right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

18 new deaths reported (15 in November, 1 in October, 2 under investigation)

269 new confirmed cases
    So just 70 backlog cases added in today. Another Tuesday with a lot of deaths reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Guess there must have been another large nursing home outbreak recently then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

At least the backlog is getting cleared

14 day incidence is now 87. 7 day incidence is 39.9

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jackboy wrote: »
    Reputations will be decided when this is all over, not in the middle of it. We don’t know if he is right or wrong.
    What we do know about him is that he's had more different opinions than the entire cast of Boards! Personally don't care how he comes out of it just as long as he goes away!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Does the number of deaths in recent weeks seem quite high for the number of cases reported?
    I haven't done the maths, just seems that way to me.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Does the number of deaths in recent weeks seem quite high for the number of cases reported?
    Lines up with what NPHET have been saying. Older people had a way higher incidence (and was increasing) than every other age group in the last while. Presumably due to outbreaks in hospitals & nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

where are all these cases in Kilkenny coming from in the last 2 weeks, anyone know. There was a big lot in a school in north kilkenny but there must be other source

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

frank8211 wrote: »
    where are all these cases in Kilkenny coming from in the last 2 weeks, anyone know. There was a big lot in a school in north kilkenny but there must be other source

You can be fairly sure it’s a hospital Nursing home or manufacturing workplace.

A nursing home in Cork had 18 cases two weeks ago and they have near 40 this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Out breaks in homes and hospitals, protocol in certain hospitals was found to be lax . I personally know two older people who were admitted to hospital for non covid related medical issues and caught covid in the hospital.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement