Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any chance this spike is being caused by people being ultra-careful about going for tests knowing they might be mixing with vulnerable people over Christmas, and as a consequence we are catching more of the infections? If someone had a slight cough previously they might have dismissed it, whereas this week they are less likely to ignore it.

If this was the case, how would we know?
    Perhaps numbers, but I think it's optimistic to hope that would account for the increase in positivity rate. A rise in cases was always going to happen - it's just been worse than was hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

is_that_so wrote: »
    Post-GAA celebrations, the matches themselves were fine.
    The only post match celebrations that might have caused issues with the Inter County championships would be Mayo or Waterford winning the All-Ireland but those long famines continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mike8634 wrote: »
    Will they ever give it a rest ffs

If they close gyms I'll go insane
    Could you not just run on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any chance this spike is being caused by people being ultra-careful about going for tests knowing they might be mixing with vulnerable people over Christmas, and as a consequence we are catching more of the infections? If someone had a slight cough previously they might have dismissed it, whereas this week they are less likely to ignore it.

If this was the case, how would we know?

Obviously that's part of it, no one want's to infect mammy and daddy, demand for a test at it's peak now, January demand will fall off a cliff and we will say lockdown fixed it lol

They are also testing the same people weekly and fortnightly, in nursing home's and the like they are getting alot of false positives as they have been testing the same people every 2 weeks for months now, they'll have to test positive if an individual has been tested 20 times this year

If people stopped going for tests we'd have no lockdown

Want a normal life, don't for a test if you feel perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What false hope? We expect some form of restrictions until next summer anyway.

It’s the complete balls up of communication of the reality from the new government since the summer that have lead to business thinking they will open up and then not knowing and then having to close again. It’s hardly a shock that the country has fatigue over this because while I know the people in charge haven’t got a crystal ball but come on at least they should have some hope to give people. I also think the media as a whole(and I realise that’s unfair as not all of them have done it) very rarely seem to be positive. I mean any time I turn on rte radio you’d swear the world is over when it’s not over, and we will be over this but you wouldn’t think that from the media. The daily numbers should stop and make it twice weekly or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thanks. Seems to be so little left to close that they don't have much room for more restrictions.

You are joking right. They didn't go deep enough yesterday. You can't stop this virus by being half arsed. It's either a lockdown or it's not.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Could you not just run on the road?

Running on the road is good for no one, not even animals

Grass or track only

I cringe when I see people over 30 running on road's, injury waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I agree with you but Tell that to the truck drivers who won’t get home for Christmas. Truth is it’s everywhere countries aren’t looking for it in Europe. They are using to male a point in Brexit.

Agreeing and disagreeing with yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

jackboy wrote: »
    The false hope we got about Christmas. We were endlessly told that should be the motivation for being good. That demoralised a lot of people. It’s time the government stuck to the numbers and stop making promises and talking about the ‘next two weeks’ all the time.

Can't blame the government for people not adhering to advice.
    Christmas was always going to be a ****show .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not a hope. The government seem hell bent on keeping schools open.

I was asking is it what the public health experts want in their heart of hearts, but tbh I think I know the answer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Running on the road is good for no one, not even animals

Grass or track only

I cringe when I see people over 30 running on road's, injury waiting to happen.

I have been running on roads for years with no injuries. If your carrying weight, road is terrible but if it not its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ficheall wrote: »
    Perhaps numbers, but I think it's optimistic to hope that would account for the increase in positivity rate. A rise in cases was always going to happen - it's just been worse than was hoped for.
    I agree, more social mixing indoors particularly was always going to lead to a rise. I'm more wondering about the steepness of the curve in terms of the number of cases, and the R number going through the roof.

A positivity rate rise could also be masked by a lot more people getting tested who have mild symptoms (e.g. cough, temperature) which are not Covid.

It sounds like we will only really know the answer in hindsight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Will they ever give it a rest ffs

If they close gyms I'll go insane

Push up's, running, dumbells, resistance bands etc...

I cancelled a gym membership years ago and never looked back. Biggest scam going unless you want to look like a bodybuilder.

petes wrote: »
    Agreeing and disagreeing with yourself?

Probably has everyone blocked at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably has everyone blocked at this stage...

Or forgot which account they were posting from 😂

I was asking is it what the public health experts want in their heart of hearts, but tbh I think I know the answer...

Well unless the government are going completely against NPHETS advice and keeping schools open then you’d have to assume that NPHET believe the schools can stay open.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Push up's, running, dumbells, resistance bands etc...

I cancelled a gym membership years ago and never looked back. Biggest scam going unless you want to look like a bodybuilder.

Yeah of course it's perfect for most, even bodybuilding

I am snatching 110kg and C&J 150kg at the moment,I would need a shed to keep up that excercise

I did it outside in the spring, can't now

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

It definitely looks like level 4/5 lockdown for 8 weeks I'd say ....but what's the bloody point ....If there's no Army on border , Airports closed and ports freight only .....back in first lockdown we couldn't travel outside 2km from home yet I live near main road and all I could see everyday was all traffic passing coming off ferry in Rosslare ....all English reg cars pulling caravans ....you wouldn't see it in Father Ted ....plus could they not see the state of London a month ago anyway and said right no travel between Ireland and UK for week before and week after Christmas....

The advice is completely useless. They have continually ignored the science

Government has find a middle ground hence there advice and restrictions.
    People don't listen anymore
    Simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I agree with you but Tell that to the truck drivers who won’t get home for Christmas. Truth is it’s everywhere countries aren’t looking for it in Europe. They are using to male a point in Brexit.

Replying to yourself from the same account?

• Advertisement

davidx40 wrote: »
    It definitely looks like level 4/5 lockdown for 8 weeks I'd say ....but what's the bloody point ....If there's no Army on border , Airports closed and ports freight only .....back in first lockdown we couldn't travel outside 2km from home yet I live near main road and all I could see everyday was all traffic passing coming off ferry in Rosslare ....all English reg cars pulling caravans ....you wouldn't see it in Father Ted ....plus could they not see the state of London a month ago anyway and said right no travel between Ireland and UK for week before and week after Christmas....

But will that actually have an impact ? If its not going to work then as you system what’s the point. I think why people have reacted the way they have(and not unexpected) was that they feel like adhering to the guidelines achieved nothing.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I have been running on roads for years with no injuries. If your carrying weight, road is terrible but if it not its fine.

True

You get fit to run, not run to get fit

Most people should be not be running on concrete

I'm 90kg, 5'10, pretty lean but much too heavy to run on concrete, would need to be 75kg or so at my height, but I wouldn't be strong at that weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

petes wrote: »
    Or forgot which account they were posting from 😂

I took a screenshot before it magically disappeared. ;-)

ZX7R wrote: »
    Government has find a middle ground hence there advice and restrictions.
    People don't listen anymore
    Simple really

Well people do listen but it’s starting to wear thin because there’s fatigue and a people don’t see the effort they put in as having the impact they hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jackboy wrote: »
    The false hope we got about Christmas. We were endlessly told that should be the motivation for being good. That demoralised a lot of people. It’s time the government stuck to the numbers and stop making promises and talking about the ‘next two weeks’ all the time.
    Christmas is in two parts really, the day itself and what comes after. What comes after was always flagged as a probable return to restrictions and we knew this. We've had four weeks of a run and we'll enjoy the day the best we can. Vaccinations will start next week and that is the real hope for 2021.

As a general comment I'd strongly encourage people to stop watching these briefings. Of late they've delivered little more than admonition for people's behaviour. I can't help but feel there is a level of petulance at NPHET being routinely ignored by government.
    This is a beauty from this evening.
    Dr Tony Holohan asked people to "revise your Christmas plans to ensure social contacts are limited and that hand hygiene, physical distance, ventilation and face covering measures are in place if you must have visitors to your home".

At this stage, amateur epidemiologists that we all are we can read the data and make our limited judgements on it. We certainly don't need to be talked down to by NPHET. Get the data and move on.

davidx40 wrote: »

Cases will naturally go down anyway

Once January hits and no one has any money to go out dining, shopping, drinking etc it's going to drop, completely stupid what's going on right now

Replying to yourself from the same account?

Haha, good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The advice is completely useless. They have continually ignored the science
    Not the science, the modelling - an inexact science itself.

Christmas is in two parts really, the day itself and what comes after. What comes after was always flagged as a probable return to restrictions and we knew this. We've had four weeks of a run and we'll enjoy the day the best we can. Vaccinations will start next week and that is the real hope for 2021.

As a general comment I'd strongly encourage people to stop watching these briefings. Of late they've delivered little more than admonition for people's behaviour. I can't help but feel there is a level of petulance at their being routinely ignored by government.
    This is a beauty from this evening.

At this stage, amateur epidemiologists that we all are we can read the data and make our limited judgements on it. We certainly don't need to be talked down to by NPHET. Get the data and move on

x10. The briefings aren’t helping. I just check rte.ie and check the cork city sub forum on here and that’s it. I try to avoid the briefings and very much try to not hear George lee in particular because he’d drive you to the bed the way he goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well unless the government are going completely against NPHETS advice and keeping schools open then you’d have to assume that NPHET believe the schools can stay open.

Or NPHET know the government have set their face against closing schools and have enough political savvy not to force the issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement