Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably has everyone blocked at this stage...

Still see this. How is this adding to the discussion. I’ve one account and one wife if you must know.

Replying to yourself from the same account?

Just seeing this. I saw the op comment read mine and replied to mine. I was doing the dinner only catching up and didn’t notice as on the phone , I don’t have two accounts just like I don’t have two wives. Mods can confirm fairly handy if I had two accounts I’d be banned. Afak it’s ok to quote yourself even if it is an accident.

I love the interest though. Which other account do you think is mine?

Ficheall wrote: »
    It often happens for more lethal viruses, because the host doesn't die before it can spread the virus. Eg. Ebola is under "control" because most people die before they can spread it. I suspect this is being extrapolated to covid weakening, but I don't think it has an issue spreading anyway, so I don't see how weakening would benefit the virus.

A health official in SA has said a lot more younger people with no co morbidities are presenting to hospitals with critical illness from the SA strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Just seeing this. I saw the op comment read mine and replied to mine. I was doing the dinner only catching up and didn’t notice as on the phone , I don’t have two accounts just like I don’t have two wives. Mods can confirm fairly handy if I had two accounts I’d be banned. Afak it’s ok to quote yourself even if it is an accident.

I love the interest though. Which other account do you think is mine?

If you're anyone else I reckon it's me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Ficheall wrote: »
    It often happens for more lethal viruses, because the host doesn't die before it can spread the virus. Eg. Ebola is under "control" because most people die before they can spread it. I suspect this is being extrapolated to covid weakening, but I don't think it has an issue spreading anyway, so I don't see how weakening would benefit the virus.

I've heard this before, yet I think it's unlikely. Measles etc never changed. There isn't really a reason for this virus to change, it's already very infectious during the presymptomatic period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Lock Down in the Wwest

0_PAY-NNP-XMAS_SHOPPERS_NEWCASTLE_1.jpg

Lock Down in China

Dec20_15-1198372659.jpg

Hmmmm

I just can't figure out where we are going wrong. It's impossible to figure it out, I just wish I could figure it out .

That tool with her mask around her neck annoys me more than some of the ones not wearing a mask..it's just fúckin tokenism. Oh, I tried so hard to wear a mask but I just got exhausted by the time i strapped it around my ears and didn't have the energy to pull up up over my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

9 months of business disruption. Government spending billions on supports and payments. Hundreds of thousands not working.

That's why you do it.
    Or else continue down the path of reaction.

Plus you completely extinguish the virus. It cant spread from person to person. Literally

China did it. Australia did a lite version.
    Compare Europe

We are in Europe

If it was possible it would have been done by already

Merkel and them ain't stupid

Did they have to announce the variant before Christmas? Could have given us a bit of a break. It’s everywhere most likely it’s just no one is actually looking for it. Which is not a bad strategy considering the freight chaos in UK.
    wadacrack wrote: »
    Why would they? Its much better that they are transparent. Its better people are aware of the increased risks
    I agree with you but Tell that to the truck drivers who won’t get home for Christmas. Truth is it’s everywhere countries aren’t looking for it in Europe. They are using to male a point in Brexit.

Was trying to reply to wadacrack's post but mistakenly replied to the one he quoted.. Apologies for the derailment. Hopefully helps the 20 people who thanked plums post and must think I'm a NPHET plant. I'm not, I just wanted as normal year and Christmas as possible like most. Lets hope 2021 has a bit more foresight behind what to do about this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Antares35 wrote: »
    That tool with her mask around her neck annoys me more than some of the ones not wearing a mask..it's just fúckin tokenism. Oh, I tried so hard to wear a mask but I just got exhausted by the time i strapped it around my ears and didn't have the energy to pull up up over my nose.

She's hot though

I'd let her off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any chance this spike is being caused by people being ultra-careful about going for tests knowing they might be mixing with vulnerable people over Christmas, and as a consequence we are catching more of the infections? If someone had a slight cough previously they might have dismissed it, whereas this week they are less likely to ignore it.

If this was the case, how would we know?

I'm not so sure. Anyone I know who has had cold like symptoms, including a slight cough, have all got tested to be on the safe side. It's not as if you can be showing up to work and the likes with a cough without ruling out that you've got Covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Was trying to reply to wadacrack's post but mistakenly replied to the one he quoted.. Apologies for the derailment. Hopefully helps the 20 people who thanked plums posy and must think I'm a NPHET plant. I'm not, I just wanted as normal year and Christmas as possible like most. Lets hope 2021 has a bit more foresight behind what to do about this virus.

Bit weird anyone would think a poster would have two accounts. I don't get it what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So first batch of Pfizer vaccine to EU coming before year end is 12.5m apparently. So around 135k of that for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

mike8634 wrote: »
    We are in Europe

If it was possible it would have been done by already

Merkel and them ain't stupid

We will keep on going as we are so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1223/1186203-coronavirus-prisoners/

Even the prisoners would rather hedge their bets on the inside! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

A very central, well known and popular pub in Dublin City asked all customers to leave today due to a confirmed close contact

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Antares35 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1223/1186203-coronavirus-prisoners/

Even the prisoners would rather hedge their bets on the inside! :D

They'd have to be placed in isolation for two weeks on their return so I'm not surprised to see the number fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now medical students will be among the contract tracers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

theballz wrote: »
    A very central, well known and popular pub in Dublin City asked all customers to leave today due to a confirmed close contact

Restaurant on Capel Street, Krewe, closed tonight too due to a staff member being a contact. Proactive, I suppose.

I'm aware of a handful of pubs and restaurants closed in Limerick due to outbreaks, no major surprise given the all-Ireland and so on.

Anyone who thinks the opening of pubs and restaurants isn't leading to an increase in cases are only fooling themselves imho.

• Advertisement

Back on topic. What ever advantage the mutation occurring in UK, SA and Wales is it has an advantage. Starts out small end of October and wins the natural selection battle in South African convincingly. (red chart bottom right) It is idiotic to think it won't do the same in the rest of Europe. Good news is we can defeat it like the last strain. Bad news is we didn't defeat that one.

537036.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A health official in SA has said a lot more younger people with no co morbidities are presenting to hospitals with critical illness from the SA strain.

Yes . Read that article on the vaccination thread I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any chance this spike is being caused by people being ultra-careful about going for tests knowing they might be mixing with vulnerable people over Christmas, and as a consequence we are catching more of the infections? If someone had a slight cough previously they might have dismissed it, whereas this week they are less likely to ignore it.

If this was the case, how would we know?

There might be something in this.

A mate of mine started as a tester about 6-8 weeks ago and was very quiet in work for the first month to five weeks. About ten days ago, according to him, the amount of people being referred for tests increased markedly. They went from doing about 200 a day to 550+

A proportion of people were definitely getting tests as "insurance" before they travelled or visited, according to him anyway.

You'd like to think that explains maybe some of the rise. The increase in the space of a week has been absolutely mental, but, equally, it might just be as simple as too much virus already circulating to begin with then multiplied by a huge increase in social activity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What variant is the one detected in NI, the English or SA one?

The whole it's in the UK and SA, close the border quick is a red herring. Fact is they released the sequencing before most countries. They are all going back as far as October. It's arisen separately in Wales , South East UK and South Africa. It's highly likely its in France, Germany, Spain, Ireland etc. It may take time to displace the rival stain but if the UK and SA are anything to go by it will invariably do the same everywhere sooner rather than later.

Also punishing truck drivers for a naturally occurring mutation is appearing to be rather callous especially when France hasn't even done the same analysis.

https://twitter.com/houzhou/status/1341807531677548544?s=20

Dail bar?

Interesting, can you provide any source for this?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting, can you provide any source for this?

Scientists say the new variant has seen more young people without any comorbidities getting critically ill from Covid-19. They also said the majority of the new infections have been of young people.

Speaking during a virtual press conference on Friday, Mkhize appealed to young people to wear masks, sanitise their hands, practice social distancing and other non-pharmaceutical interventions against the spread of the virus.

“Our clinicians have also warned us that things have changed and that young, previously healthy people, are now becoming very sick.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/stern-warning-to-young-people-as-new-covid-19-variant-rocks-sa-during-second-wave--29c14b26-77bc-4b7c-b2ec-54a2ff311895

Scientists say the new variant has seen more young people without any comorbidities getting critically ill from Covid-19. They also said the majority of the new infections have been of young people.

Speaking during a virtual press conference on Friday, Mkhize appealed to young people to wear masks, sanitise their hands, practice social distancing and other non-pharmaceutical interventions against the spread of the virus.

“Our clinicians have also warned us that things have changed and that young, previously healthy people, are now becoming very sick.

Thank you.
    I have found this on the BBC:

"The variant has been causing mounting concern in South Africa, where health minister Zweli Mkhize warned that "young, previously healthy people are now becoming very sick"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55428953

That is very concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    There might be something in this.

A mate of mine started as a tester about 6-8 weeks ago and was very quiet in work for the first month to five weeks. About ten days ago, according to him, the amount of people being referred for tests increased markedly. They went from doing about 200 a day to 550+

A proportion of people were definitely getting tests as "insurance" before they travelled or visited, according to him anyway.

You'd like to think that explains maybe some of the rise. The increase in the space of a week has been absolutely mental, but, equally, it might just be as simple as too much virus already circulating to begin with then multiplied by a huge increase in social activity.

GPs are reporting this but also many more with symptoms phoning for referrals for tests .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement