Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

It's fairly obvious now that the re-opening of pubs won't be considered until a decent percentage of the population have been vaccinated. They can forget about Saint Patricks day i'd say we are looking at mid May at a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Scientists say the new variant has seen more young people without any comorbidities getting critically ill from Covid-19. They also said the majority of the new infections have been of young people.

Speaking during a virtual press conference on Friday, Mkhize appealed to young people to wear masks, sanitise their hands, practice social distancing and other non-pharmaceutical interventions against the spread of the virus.

“Our clinicians have also warned us that things have changed and that young, previously healthy people, are now becoming very sick.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/stern-warning-to-young-people-as-new-covid-19-variant-rocks-sa-during-second-wave--29c14b26-77bc-4b7c-b2ec-54a2ff311895

Have seen these kind of reports during the day but did not like to say because it would be really terrible if true. Think we will have to wait a bit and see what is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious now that the re-opening of pubs won't be considered until a decent percentage of the population have been vaccinated. They can forget about Saint Patricks day i'd say we are looking at mid May at a minimum.

You have a right knack at somehow sounding happy when more misery is in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just seeing this. I saw the op comment read mine and replied to mine. I was doing the dinner only catching up and didn’t notice as on the phone , I don’t have two accounts just like I don’t have two wives. Mods can confirm fairly handy if I had two accounts I’d be banned. Afak it’s ok to quote yourself even if it is an accident.

I love the interest though. Which other account do you think is mine?

Speculation such as what you are asking of me is a no no from the Mods. I'll leave it there and not derail the thread as advised by Nerco.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I have found this on the BBC:

"The variant has been causing mounting concern in South Africa, where health minister Zweli Mkhize warned that "young, previously healthy people are now becoming very sick"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55428953

That is very concerning.

Yes but there was also a significant superspreader event that involved young people which may partially explain that. A beach part with over 3000 teenagers. Over 1000 have tested positive and many more have refused to cooperate with contact tracers.

• Advertisement

Hardyn wrote: »
    Yes but there was also a significant superspreader event involved young people which may partially explain that. A beach part with over 3000 teenagers. Over 1000 have tested positive and many more have refused to cooperate with contact tracers.

The fact that otherwise healthy young people are getting seriously ill from the strain is very worrying. The vaccines may well not be affected but it's very worrying nonetheless.

He's right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Do people really think the 900 plus cases they found in last 24 hours are all the cases , course not, that number would suggest there is 8000 people a day getting it.

For every case they find there is 10 more, maybe 20 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

How the christ did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The only good thing about the current situation is that the wreckless/selfish people are going to infect their own families. They can own their selfishness.

I have a cousin flying from London into derry and then getting a lift down, their snapchat is non stop house parties and out in the city, coming back and making plans to visit elderly relatives.....ya like fook you are ya little cnut

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Do people really think the 900 plus cases they found in last 24 hours are all the cases , course not, that number would suggest there is 8000 people a day getting it.

I think the positivity rate is an indicator of missed cases, amongst other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Maybe

one-million-cases.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The fact that otherwise healthy young people are getting seriously ill from the strain is very worrying. The vaccines may well not be affected but it's very worrying nonetheless.

I'm fairly sure young otherwise healthy people have been getting seriously ill with the original strain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Do we really know if these new strains are as lethal as other strains? Perhaps they are not. Maybe they are weaker and just more contagious. And as long as they are susceptible to the vaccine we are still on track for a good 2021. Even if they’re not, leading scientists are saying they can be tweaked easily.

I sometimes find myself reading this thread as if it’s Ebola we are talking about, not downplaying it all but it’s important to keep in perspective the lethality of this disease. Crazy the amount of fear peddled on here and in the media, perhaps these people are in vulnerable positions themselves, can’t understand it otherwise. It’s like some people get off on lies and making people panic. You know know what’s on the other side of the keyboard. I will never forgive RTE and the mainstream media for their coverage of this pandemic, never.

One more point, our fixation with case numbers will have to become a thing of the past once a larger number of people are vaccinated. Eventually there will be nobody dying from this and barely anyone in hospital but there could be a lot of daily cases for a while. We need to get our head around this.

A lot of it is down to individual risk tolerance.John Giles stands out as an example,he was an absolute warrior on the field,fearless and aggressive,but on both of his interviews with Claire Byrne he openly talked of his absolute unrelenting terror of covid to the point of not wanting to open his door.I mean no criticism whatsoever of him,it just struck me of how some people i know would run away from there own shadow yet have a cavalier attitude to the dangers of covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

No idea how you'd summarise that from my post.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    How the christ did you come to that conclusion?

It's just logic. 1000's of people have it and will never know they had it .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Probes wrote: »
    Please provide the sources.

A useful rule of thumb on this thread is when you see someone say "experts" without further context or clarification, substitute "people who share the same viewpoint as me".

Most people do have some symptoms, and the rest should be detected through contact tracing.
    We also know by the positivity rate how on the ball we are, or not, with detecting cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

lukas8888 wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to individual risk tolerance.John Giles stands out as an example,he was an absolute warrior on the field,fearless and aggressive,but on both of his interviews with Claire Byrne he openly talked of his absolute unrelenting terror of covid to the point of not wanting to open his door.I mean no criticism whatsoever of him,it just struck me of how some people i know would run away from there own shadow yet have a cavalier attitude to the dangers of covid.

Yeah that was striking alright. He was a beast on the field because he didn't want to concede a goal and let his side down. I know he spoke about being afraid for himself but I'd say he's afraid for his other half also and that's his mission. Some people have a very strong feeling towards causative risk to others. Lot's of defenders have this. The blindside movie was a good example.

537042.png

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6008280/republic-of-ireland-john-giles-dublin-children-covid-19/

I think the positivity rate is an indicator of missed cases, amongst other things.

Yea, geez if it was only 900 cases we had we could just isolate that 900. They know there are 1000's of people out there with it, and they are spreading it without knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

That isn't logic but it's well known that far more have caught this than reported. I seen a great work out of what it might be before, think it used deaths etc. to draw a comparison but can't remember fully. Maybe someone here has the link but it was interesting. Don't think it was 10 for every reported case though, that'd have us near 20% infected in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

France is going to attempt to pass a bill soon limiting certain things for people who don't get vaccinated.

"access to transport or to some locations, as well as certain activities,"

Yea, geez if it was only 900 cases we had we could just isolate that 900. They know there are 1000's of people out there with it, and they are spreading it without knowing.

There is an incubation period, when people have yet to experience symptoms (and isolate) but are still transmitting virus.
    Which is the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

France is going to attempt to pass a bill soon limiting certain things for people who don't get vaccinated.

"access to transport or to some locations, as well as certain activities,"

*or present with a negative test

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Your spot on the here
    My missus was outside the 48 hour close contact window but took it upon herself to ask her friend to say she'd seen her within the 48 hours as she a teacher and better get tested just encase and because of that we have found 8 cases in the family all asymptomatic, So no one would have ever know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There is an incubation period, when people have yet to experience symptoms (and isolate) but are still transmitting virus.
    Which is the problem...

There isn't a huge amount of transmission during the incubation period, very little viral shed.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    There isn't a huge amount of transmission during the incubation period, very little viral shed.

I wonder how many people are just not getting tested so?
    Everyone should really get tested if they have any symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So you think one in every 600, or so, people in the country contracted covid in the last 24 hours????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement