Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you facts on the cost to society and the economy?
    I can tell you there's been no major changes in my finances, nothing other than not going into my.parents house and kids missing their friends a little as far as societal issues.

Well bully for you,my household finances have been decimated as they are 3 of us involved in the entertainment industry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Jesus it's all about yourself isn't it,Just because you haven't been hit financially doesn't mean thousands others haven't,Businesses are closed over 8 months now and some won't open again,some people can't pay mortgages or bills,If you can't see this then you are living in cloud cuckoo land

It's a choice between a few thousand people with less money, or a few thousand people with fewer family members still alive. Some are selfish (and they assume it'll be other people who die, so they don't care), but most are willing to make sacrifices for the common good, with light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can tell you there's been no major changes in my finances, nothing other than not going into my.parents house and kids missing their friends a little as far as societal issues.

No wonder you're thirsty for lockdowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are you serious, because you're doing ok you think the same applies to everyone.
    Yet you have described others as selfish. The hypocrisy from you is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You asked for facts and then provided a personal anecdote.

The cost to the economy hasn't actually been that bad. However, for certain sectors of the economy it has been catastrophic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

quokula wrote: »
    It's a choice between a few thousand people with less money, or a few thousand people with fewer family members still alive. Some are selfish (and they assume it'll be other people who die, so they don't care), but most are willing to make sacrifices for the common good, with light at the end of the tunnel.

A few thousand more are not going to die before the vaccines are out,some people are listening to Sam McConkey too long,the vulnerable need to be very careful until they get a vaccine but there is no need for a level 5 lockdown until then like some are craving here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Briefing about the UK rollout on BBC NEWS

"No corners have been cut"

800,000 doses ready within days.

50 hospitals on standy to get jab

Most adverse reactions were mild and similar to other vaccines, clear up within a couple of days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

aziz wrote: »
    Well bully for you,my household finances have been decimated as they are 3 of us involved in the entertainment industry

Yeah but eagle eye is alright jack so it's all good. That's one of the most economically illiterate things I've ever seen someone say and that's saying something.

Wow. Just.....wow! I haven't been impacted that much either, but your ignorance of the plight of such a large proportion of our population is just staggering.

Are you a judge? Because you seem that far removed from reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Really showing your true colours here. And you have been the most vocal about calling out what you see as others selfishness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yeah but eagle eye is alright jack so it's all good. That's one of the most economically illiterate things I've ever seen someone say and that's saying something.

Ive had my fun, thats all that matters

LKTPmpp_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And sees no problem breaking the 5km limit so he can take his dogs for a walk,but hey we are all in this together,like fook we are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Great news, hopefully we follow in the next couple of days.

Would those who are so anti-lockdown be in favour of going back into lockdown, with an end in sight, until all our vulnerable citizens have been inoculated or at least offered same?

It's continually put out that we're all honour bound to protect the elderly vulnerable citizens. It's my experience that a lot of the elderly, including my 80yr old mother, are the least concerned (that's not to say they shouldn't be), and are out and about with quite a lax attitude.

She isn't an exception. All her friends and neighbours appear to have a 'sorry, this ain't stopping me living' attitude. And they are well aware that if they contract covid it is more likely to affect their agegroup badly.

They are certainly not cocooning away like some young people, who are unlikely to suffer major effects in most cases, and will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Turtwig wrote: »

The cost to the economy hasn't actually been that bad. However, for certain sectors of the economy it has been catastrophic!

Maybe it wasn't as bad as expected as many shops stayed trading this time around

Still according to Robert Shortt of RTE Estimates have varied but the latest guess is the cost of Level 5 could have been upwards of €1.6bn.

That's still a big hit

Locking down until a vaccine is widely available from January on would be well over €2 billion going on those figures

Not sustainable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

And sees no problem breaking the 5km limit so he can take his dogs for a walk,but hey we are all in this together,like fook we are

It's borderline trolling how openly hypocritical he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you serious, because you're doing ok you think the same applies to everyone. Yet you have described others as selfish. The hypocrisy from you is staggering.
    Where did I describe others selfish.
    I also note you go on a personal.attack and didn't answer the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Maybe it wasn't as bad as expected as many shops stayed trading this time around

Still according to Robert Shortt of RTE Estimates have varied but the latest guess is the cost of Level 5 could have been upwards of €1.6bn.

That's still a big hit

Locking down until a vaccine is widely available from January on would be well over €2 billion going on those figures

Not sustainable

I do think it's an important conversation to have/thought process to go through, with the result hopefully being lighting a fire under the arses of those charged with distributing the vaccine... i.e. "every day of lockdown costs X, and each day of vaccinating Y people costs Z.... Holy **** we need to pour everything into vaccination"

I do think both the virus and economic hit were both overestimated in March, and while that's good news, the economy is a huge balance, the sooner we get it back to as close to full operation as possible, the faster it will recover.

Wow. Just.....wow! I haven't been impacted that much either, but your ignorance of the plight of such a large proportion of our population is just staggering.
    I haven't heard one person I know complain about their finances. I know a lot of people from all sectors. Maybe there are some and they are not talking about it but I haven't heard of anybody in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I haven't heard one person I know complain about their finances. I know a lot of people from all sectors. Maybe there are some and they are not talking about it but I haven't heard of anybody in bad shape.

The Arts , Film Industries , theatre workers, wedding musicians , etc are in a bad way actually . I know of a few who couldn’t pay their rent and had to move back home . Just because you dont know them doesn’t mean they are not there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

"I haven't heard one person I know say they knew anyone who got sick or died from covid. Maybe there are some people out there that have suffered severe illness but I haven't heard of anybody get COVID that bad."

What would your reply be to the above quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ah now, this isnt far off the argument that you've not heard of people with covid so it's probably fine. Actually all sectors? People in the industry of gigs, pubs, hotels/hospitality, taxis, airlines, tour operators, office fit outs, films, dentistry, sport, theatre, weddings, etc?

Where did I describe others selfish.
    I also note you go on a personal.attack and didn't answer the question asked.

I answered your question by giving you my opinion. If you're vulnerable cocoon, I have done my bit as have the majority.What personal attack? pointing out your hypocrisy is not an attack it's highlighting the obvious.
    Do you think I'm going to spend anytime going back through your posts to confirm what i said about your description of others?

I don't hear much with my fingers in my ears either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Great news from the UK about the vaccine rollout. Fair play to them and a great lift for everyone as we approach 2021.

Turtwig wrote:
    What would your reply be to the above quote?
    I know very few myself. In fact outside of friends in the USA I only know of a coupe of families who got it here. Thankfully all recovered.

I answered your question by giving you my opinion. If you're vulnerable cocoon, I have done my bit as have the majority.What personal attack? pointing out your hypocrisy is not an attack it's highlighting the obvious. Do you think I'm going to spend anytime going back through your posts to confirm what i said about your description of others?
    You personally attacked me in the last post and quoted.
    You didn't answer the question I posted you quoted either but instead went on a personal attack.

I asked you for facts as you talked about the societal and economic damage done by the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

It's continually put out that we're all honour bound to protect the elderly vulnerable citizens. It's my experience that a lot of the elderly, including my 80yr old mother, are the least concerned (that's not to say they shouldn't be), and are out and about with quite a lax attitude.

She isn't an exception. All her friends and neighbours appear to have a 'sorry, this ain't stopping me living' attitude. And they are well aware that if they contract covid it is more likely to affect their agegroup badly.

They are certainly not cocooning away like some young people, who are unlikely to suffer major effects in most cases, and will recover.

I'm seeing interesting behaviour from some older people (my own mother included). They certainly have quite a lax attitude about their own contacts, and a bit of an attitude of "ah, it's only Mary, she wouldn't pass on anything to me" - ignoring the fact that Mary is also seeing John and Paul who are healthcare workers. BUT at the same time, they are getting very irate at the idea of "other people" not obeying restrictions (my mother frequently goes on at length about the number of people out walking, and how busy the paths are, and how its not fair on elderly people. She's also happy to have relatives in the house for hours on end, but flinches if my children so much as walk past her). It feels very much like they - admitted a small sample - want other people to restrict their lives so that they don't have to.

You personally attacked me in the last post and quoted.
    You didn't answer the question I posted you quoted either but instead went on a personal attack.

I asked you for facts as you talked about the societal and economic damage done by the lockdown.

I answered your question with my opinion, pointing out your rank hypocrisy is a statement of fact not a personal attack. If you think it was you have been attacked by multiple posters, the evidence is your post here about how you are doing ok but expect others to lockdown to protect you no matter the damage to their lives. The ultimate in selfishness. Your mask has slipped lad.
    If you need a random individual on an internet forum to educate you about the damage Coivd has done to society and our economy it's quite obvious you have no interest in knowing the costs but seem to be on a windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Vaccination to begin in the North in 12 days time

Very good news

Healthcare workers first in line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s an absolute fcukin disgrace that nurses were sent out annual retention fee letters yesterday.
    100 euro to be paid to keep their name and pin on the register. The same pin they studied and worked for 4 years to earn.it should have been waved this year as a good will gesture.
    The year that’s in it then and they working flat out during a pandemic and putting their lives at risk and they barely earning pennies.
    A total fcukin farce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement