Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

How so? genuine question
    Surely there are some private facilities that could be used.

I meant they can't be bothered

Easier to lockdown and wait for a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Well of course people are spreading it, it's a respiratory illness and breathing is necessary. I don't agree with this willingness to find scapegoats at every opportunity. You should look at the infection rate of HCW do you blame them ?

HCW are health care workers I presume, who due to the nature of their job have to come in to contact with people.
    Other members of society do not have to come in to contact with people and should be adhering to the rules.
    This is how you stop the virus.
    Blaming the virus is pointless and a bit naive to be honest.
    The virus will do what it evolved to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tom1ie wrote: »
    HCW are health care workers I presume, who due to the nature of their job have to come in to contact with people.
    Other members of society do not have to come in to contact with people and should be adhering to the rules.
    This is how you stop the virus.
    Blaming the virus is pointless and a bit naive to be honest.
    The virus will do what it evolved to do.

Of course other members of society have to come into contact with each other that's just silly now. Btw the HSE had to make it mandatory for HCW to wear facemasks when treating patients.
    Nothing other than vaccination and immunity will stop the virus and that is an inescapable fact whether you wish to accept it or not.
    The virus is highly transmissible in an enclosed setting, it's winter people are inside more.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I guess that answers my question about the numbers coming out of donegal so :pac:

Just catching up on thread (still a few more pages left to read)

I went to Letterkenny on Sunday to get the last bits of shopping. Decided to grab something to eat from the deli of a large petrol station on on the way.

Parked the car, stuck on my mask, headed through the automatic doors, used the sanitiser just inside the door, looked towards the deli and it was shut. Turned back round and out the door and into the car.

When I got into the car there was an almighty stench of vinegar. I’d heard stories before but thought it was an urban myth. My hands smelt of fecking vinegar!!!

Luckily I have sanitiser in my bag and in the car but what good is vinegar to the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

MOR316 wrote: »
    For someone who moans and whinges about people being insulting and patronising, you dont half like participating in such behaviours yourself.

There’s no excuse for the level of ignorance that many people are still demonstrating in relation to this. I goes beyond stupidity.

• Advertisement

Of course other members of society have to come into contact with each other that's just silly now. Btw the HSE had to make it mandatory for HCW to wear facemasks when treating patients.
    Nothing other than vaccination and immunity will stop the virus and that is an inescapable fact whether you wish to accept it or not.
    The virus is highly transmissible in an enclosed setting, it's winter people are inside more.

I’m on record on this thread saying the virus doesn’t go away until we reach 70% immunity be that through a vaccine or infection, as well you know.
    However uncontrolled spread is NOT the way to do this, which is what you are advocating.
    The vaccine is the way to reach herd immunity until then we must restrict our movements and cut down our interactions as per medical expert guidance.

I’m on record on this thread saying the virus doesn’t go away until we reach 70% immunity be that through a vaccine or infection, as well you know.
    However uncontrolled spread is NOT the way to do this, which is what you are advocating.
    The vaccine is the way to reach herd immunity until then we must restrict our movements and cut down our interactions as per medical expert guidance.

I really dislike it when someone attributes something to me I never said. I have never advocated uncontrolled spread . You can respond I take it without making up stuff?

There’s no excuse for the level of ignorance that many people are still demonstrating in relation to this. I goes beyond stupidity.

There are many doctors, experts and politicians that don’t fully agree or agree at all with the actions taken.

You can’t just call everyone stupid for not agreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I'm friends with quite a number of Doctors and Nurses who don't agree with a lot of the restrictions.

Happy for you to PM me so I can pass on your messages of how stupid they are to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Why does 40 Doctors need to isolate?

Sounds like a joke if it wasn't true ,is there no test they can take?

Really don't get why we don't use all the tools we have in those situations for critical hospital staff

Why dont we antibody test those doctors?

Not those crap €20 tests, proper blood serum lab tests

If they have antibodies they can work

Absolute insanity getting all those hospital staff to self isolate when they could be immune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There are many doctors, experts and politicians that don’t fully agree or agree at all with the actions taken.

You can’t just call everyone stupid for not agreeing.

There were many doctors, politicians and so called experts who agreed with the Swedish strategy. They do not look too clever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm friends with quite a number of Doctors and Nurses who don't agree with a lot of the restrictions.

Happy for you to PM me so I can pass on your messages of how stupid they are to them.

I’m sure you are :rolleyes:

I really dislike it when someone attributes something to me I never said. I have never advocated uncontrolled spread . You can respond I take it without making up stuff?

So if you don’t agree with lockdowns and you don’t agree with uncontrolled spread what DO you agree with or are you just on here antagonising everyone hmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

My wife is a nurse in UHL and cousin a health care assistant there, both under 30

Not agreeing with those restrictions is an understatement, alot don't want the vaccine from the general chats they have about it, especially the younger women who want kids, most will get it out of peer pressure, I don't want my wife to get it, she doesnt either but will get it to have a peaceful life there, I'll be getting it too to come back onsite

charlie14 wrote: »
    There were many doctors, politicians and so called experts who agreed with the Swedish strategy. They do not look too clever now.

There is a separate thread for that but Sweden’s death rate is mid table. Not necessarily a success but not the failure that some have tried to make out.

The point stands though, you can’t just call people stupid for disagreeing.

It’s still very early days as well. In another year or so we will likely start to see some of the uglier impacts of lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

There are vaccines arriving in the coming days. The next lockdown will most likely be the last. We are in a far better place than we were in March staring into the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

How so? genuine question
    Surely there are some private facilities that could be used.

They tried this with the Nightingale hospital in the UK, it was a huge government vanity project which ended up having to turn patients away because they didn't have enough staff, since all the qualified doctors and nurses that are required already have jobs in existing hospitals which are within a commutable distance of where they live and which need them.

So if you don’t agree with lockdowns and you don’t agree with uncontrolled spread what DO you agree with or are you just on here antagonising everyone hmmm?

I don't agree with certain restrictions as I didn't agree with the pervious 6 week non essential retail closure as it created ridiculous pent up demand 3 weeks before Christmas and thrown 1000's on to the PUP . I thought it was incredibly stupid advice from Nphet and nothing will change my opinion on that.
    I agree with hospitality having to close.
    The only ones I seem to antagonise are the ones making up stuff I never said.

I’m sure you are :rolleyes:

Ah yes of course, because you know me and the people I have been friends with since my teenage years and my 20s. :D

As I said, my PMs are open and I'll happily pass the messages onto them from "MadYaker" about how stupid they are for disagreeing with NPHET and their restrictions.

You love insulting and talking down to people on here, perhaps it's time to move on and start insulting and patronising the thoughts of those on the front line? Tell them they're idiots! Even post it here, I'll happily screenshot it and send it on to them

Even better, there is a guy who just posted who said his wife is a nurse and she doesn't agree with them either, nor does she want a vaccine. Quote him and call her stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

mike8634 wrote: »
    especially the younger women who want kids

?!?

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    They tried this with the Nightingale hospital in the UK, it was a huge government vanity project which ended up having to turn patients away because they didn't have enough staff, since all the qualified doctors and nurses that are required already have jobs in existing hospitals which are within a commutable distance of where they live and which need them.
    I'm not suggesting erecting an emergency facility, there are plenty of private hospitals already staffed that could operate either solely for Covid or non Covid medical care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

There are vaccines arriving in the coming days. The next lockdown will most likely be the last. We are in a far better place than we were in March staring into the unknown.

The vaccines will take literally months to have any effect on the situation. A lot of people thinking life is going back to normal within the next few weeks, it isn't.

I'll be surprised if we don't see rolling lockdowns until May tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ElJeffe wrote: »
    The vaccines will take literally months to have any effect on the situation. A lot of people thinking life is going back to normal within the next few weeks, it isn't.

I genuinely don't think I've seen anyone anywhere claim life will be back to normal within weeks.

There are far far more people jumping around to point out that the vaccine will take months, who they're responding to I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'll be surprised disappointedif we don't see rolling lockdowns until May tbh.

FYP :D

Once you start vaccination of the most at risk , getting buyin and justification for continued lockdowns disappears. Already the talk of vaccines has changed behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There is a separate thread for that but Sweden’s death rate is mid table. Not necessarily a success but not the failure that some have tried to make out.

The point stands though, you can’t just call people stupid for disagreeing.

It’s still very early days as well. In another year or so we will likely start to see some of the uglier impacts of lockdowns.

Sweden`s death rates are multiple of their Nordic neighbours, and that multiple is increasing by the day.
    Many thought Sweden`s so called experts strategy should be followed by every other country and had argued for it on every Covid thread on Boards.ie.
    Sweden has now sidelined these "expert" and completely changed their approach to dealing with this virus using lockdown like everyone else.

My point also stands. Disagreeing with a tiny minority of so called experts will very often be the correct course. Encouraging their views can often have tragic consequences. For me anyway, sticking with the science rather than half-ass theories is always the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Now I've no degree in science but I'm getting a scary feeling this vaccine won't work, the virus is mutating and it's only going to be a placebo that already healthy people will be safe from anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hopefully when the vaccines start on the folk who are most at need, we can move away from being worried about the case numbers, as those who get it won’t require hospitalisation and they will just have to isolate, but cases won’t matter so much.

Plenty of cases on the Northside of Dublin right now. Thankfully not one is even feeling sick that I’ve heard of.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Now I've no degree in science but I'm getting a scary feeling this vaccine won't work, the virus is mutating and it's only going to be a placebo that already healthy people will be safe from anyway

Could be...

Who knows

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Oranage2 wrote: »

You are right you've no degree in science. I'll listen to those that do. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement