Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

ElJeffe wrote: »
    You are right you've no degree in science. I'll listen to those that do. :)

It's a fair point and feeling to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You are right you've no degree in science. I'll listen to those that do. :)

I've been pretty much right on everything to date but it's up to yourself who to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Now I've no degree in science but I'm getting a scary feeling this vaccine won't work, the virus is mutating and it's only going to be a placebo that already healthy people will be safe from anyway
    The vaccine manufacturers and any expert to-date contradicts you the two recent mutations they believe will still respond to the vaccine.
    I really wonder why people wish to spread baseless fear, is it some sort of warped pleasure?

Have you not already taken the Chinese vaccine, didn't you claim life was back to normal there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Now I've no degree in science but I'm getting a scary feeling this vaccine won't work, the virus is mutating and it's only going to be a placebo that already healthy people will be safe from anyway

That's a feeling that is ignoring science.

They know the vaccine works, the virus is mutating as all viruses do but it is still considered a very stable virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Right, so you have no background in science but decide to ignore the data, actual data, thats been generated and peer reviewed by the top scientists in the world under massive scrutiny. All a giant conspiracy I suppose is it?

Amazing the type of nonsense that people come out with.

• Advertisement

I've been pretty much right on everything to date but it's up to yourself who to listen to

Listen to random poster on the internet who claims to live in China or experts involved in vaccine development and production it's a tough call, but I for one will go with the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is a separate thread for that but Sweden’s death rate is mid table. Not necessarily a success but not the failure that some have tried to make out.

The point stands though, you can’t just call people stupid for disagreeing.

It’s still very early days as well. In another year or so we will likely start to see some of the uglier impacts of lockdowns.

There’s a difference between having a reasonable difference of opinion and constantly repeating false talking points like predictions of economic doom and saying lockdowns don’t work etc.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sweden`s death rates are multiple of their Nordic neighbours, and that multiple is increasing by the day.
    Many thought Sweden`s so called experts strategy should be followed by every other country and had argued for it on every Covid thread on Boards.ie.
    Sweden has now sidelined these "expert" and completely changed their approach to dealing with this virus using lockdown like everyone else.

My point also stands. Disagreeing with a tiny minority of so called experts will very often be the correct course. Encouraging their views can often have tragic consequences. For me anyway, sticking with the science rather than half-ass theories is always the better choice.

You have quite the obsession with the swedes, but I’ll move past that.

Madyaker said that people were stupid that disagreed with restrictions etc.

But lots of people do disagree. Whether fully or to some extent. Even some nurses and young women have reasons not to want the vaccine.

Disagreement is good. Just accepting that the government/NPHET are our overlords and we must do whatever they say is not so good...

The vaccine manufacturers and any expert to-date contradicts you the two recent mutations they believe will still respond to the vaccine.
    I really wonder why people wish to spread baseless fear, is it some sort of warped pleasure?

Have you not already taken the Chinese vaccine, didn't you claim life was back to normal there?

It is, it's hardly an imaginative claim.

That's twice now in the last 24hrs you've accused a poster on here of having another account. Show the evidence or please stop.

Haven't accused anyone actually.

• Advertisement

You have quite the obsession with the swedes, but I’ll move past that.

Madyaker said that people were stupid that disagreed with restrictions etc.

But lots of people do disagree. Whether fully or to some extent. Even some nurses and young women have reasons not to want the vaccine.

Disagreement is good. Just accepting that the government/NPHET are our overlords and we must do whatever they say is not so good...

Jesus Christ, I never said people who disagree are stupid. Disagreement is good if it’s via a logical and reasonable argument backed up by evidence and facts. You post your own opinions based on nothing.

It is, it's hardly an imaginative claim.

There is a dedicated vaccine thread full of lots usual data that might help allay your fears .
    I thought those trying to undermine the vaccine confined themselves to those specific threads? I'm wrong it appears.

There is a dedicated vaccine thread full of lots usual data that might help allay your fears .
    I thought those trying to undermine the vaccine confined themselves to those specific threads? I'm wrong it appears.

I didn't know you were the thread police

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

this constant willingness to find someone to blame is futile
    Futile, granted, given that it falls on deaf ears, but suggesting no one bears any responsibility is a bit of a cop-out.

I didn't know you were the thread police

I'm not but surely if you are concerned about the effectiveness of the proposed vaccines a dedicated thread with data freely shared would serve your fears better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Beware of the onslaught of people who will be attacking your lack of scientific knowledge. But I do share your concerns, not so much about its effectiveness on various strains but on its ability to control the virus spreading, some people think it will eradicate the virus. Its still early days but it appears at present to only prevent serious illness so in that case why should healthy people who aren't in high risk groups be made take it.

prunudo wrote: »
    Beware of the onslaught of people who will be attacking your lack of scientific knowledge. But I do share your concerns, not so much about its effectiveness on various strains but on its ability to control the virus spreading, some people think it will eradicate the virus. Its still early days but it appears at present to only prevent serious illness so in that case why should healthy people who aren't in high risk groups be made take it.

Nobody is going to be made take it.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Futile, granted, given that it falls on deaf ears, but suggesting no one bears any responsibility is a bit of a cop-out.

My issue is the constant willingness to try and find a group to blame for the spread of a respiratory virus is futile. Do we blame the 40 doctors in UCHG or are they exempt because of their occupation?

prunudo wrote: »

I'm not worried about the onslaught, I called the second lockdown months in advanced with predictions on 1000 cases and people came out of their holes to give abuse and say it would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is this thread just one big argument?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's a bit of a moan too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What time do the supermarkets close today? Is it 3pm or is that just pubs and restaurants?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What time do the supermarkets close today? Is it 3pm or is that just pubs and restaurants?

Just hospitality, different times for different supermarkets best to check online on specific store closing.

Some people seem to get away with being a dick. It's clearly directed at me. I won't respond to nastiness.

I'm putting the ham on now and will be offline. Hope everyone has a lovely safe Christmas.

Merry Christmas CE!

This is me, standing beside my cooker, doing my thang ;)

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29mqkiz4d65vzf6it8auwwb2y20jjvudpmsjvbh7di&rid=giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Seems to be the same people posting like nonstop

There should be a breakaway thread for normal people to post in

I think this sub forum should be locked tomorrow for the sake of EVERYONE’s sanity :D

Seems to be the same people posting like nonstop

There should be a breakaway thread for normal people to post in

If I don’t post on boards I might have to go talk to my family

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just read this comment to my 8 year old who genuinely believes that a number of our plush elves and snowmen are sentient and move about doing things when we're not looking. He said to tell you that the newly evolved virus strains still have spike proteins, the vaccine targets those and stops the virus attaching to your body. Then the main circle part of the virus can't make you sick and just dies inside you. It's a very simplistic explanation but he doesn't have a science degree either! But if a little kid can grasp those basics, maybe the panicking adults could too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nobody is going to be made take it.

Yet if they voice concern about its effectiveness or raise questions about taking it they are rounded on with a chorus of being anti vaxxers or other insult. Throughout this pandemic, one thing has been obvious, is the polarising of opinion. If you don't agree with the majority your opinion doesn't matter, and therefore obviously must be stupid or some other insult. The inability to see things from the other side is lacking in most debates. It happens on both sides but predominantly from those in favour of stricter lockdowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement