Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

Azatadine wrote: »
    Right, so you have no background in science but decide to ignore the data, actual data, thats been generated and peer reviewed by the top scientists in the world under massive scrutiny. All a giant conspiracy I suppose is it?

Amazing the type of nonsense that people come out with.

If indeed it has, why is the passing of it conditional and subject to restrospective data etc to be followed up?. Theres still much to be handed over which is why like the swine flu vaccine, its been passed for european use "conditionally" which in itself is not a red flag or very unusual but it is still not old enough to be fully understood..time will tell but on this basis everyone has good reason to be circumspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iguana wrote: »
    I just read this comment to my 8 year old who genuinely believes that a number of our plush elves and snowmen are sentient and move about doing things when we're not looking. He said to tell you that the newly evolved virus strains still have spike proteins, the vaccine targets those and stops the virus attaching to your body. Then the main circle part of the virus can't make you sick and just dies inside you. It's a very simplistic explanation but he doesn't have a science degree either! But if a little kid can grasp those basics, maybe the panicking adults could too?

Brilliant ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I just read this comment to my 8 year old who genuinely believes that a number of our plush elves and snowmen are sentient and move about doing things when we're not looking. He said to tell you that the newly evolved virus strains still have spike proteins, the vaccine targets those and stops the virus attaching to your body. Then the main circle part of the virus can't make you sick and just dies inside you. It's a very simplistic explanation but he doesn't have a science degree either! But if a little kid can grasp those basics, maybe the panicking adults could too?

Tell him I'm not to worry, I'm much smarter than an 8 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You have quite the obsession with the swedes, but I’ll move past that.

Madyaker said that people were stupid that disagreed with restrictions etc.

But lots of people do disagree. Whether fully or to some extent. Even some nurses and young women have reasons not to want the vaccine.

Disagreement is good. Just accepting that the government/NPHET are our overlords and we must do whatever they say is not so good...

No particular obsession with the Swedes. Just pointing out what following baseless scientific theory can result in.

From the people who disagree on having restrictions I have yet to see a credible alternative that has been used and worked anywhere.
    Some may have genuine reasons for not taking a vaccine due to individual health reasons, but I would not see simply being a nurse or a young woman as a credible reason for not doing so.
    Especially when availing of the vaccine is a means of shielding those that for medical reasons are unable to avail of it.

If we are not to follow advice from government or NPHET then who should we follow.
    Those of an anonymous poster, or should we just individually make it up as we go along to suit our own circumstances ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did Santa get the vaccine?

I'm unsure whether to block the chimney or what to do

He did indeed. Dr Fauci did it himself.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/dec/19/santa-claus-is-good-to-go-dr-fauci-says-he-vaccinated-father-christmas-video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like the government are about to say no to the NPHET advice on closing non-essential retail.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-set-to-reject-call-to-shut-non-essential-retail-from-st-stephen-s-day-1.4445262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

is_that_so wrote: »
    Looks like the government are about to say no to the NPHET advice on closing non-essential retail.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-set-to-reject-call-to-shut-non-essential-retail-from-st-stephen-s-day-1.4445262

Hope so, I've yet to see any evidence they cause spread of the virus. Nphet won't be happy till we're all confined to our bedrooms like bold children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Government is playing nphet

Very convenient for them

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

niallo27 wrote: »
    Be with his family instead of talking to random strangers.

They're probably in bed at 12.45 a.m. dude

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Hope so, I've yet to see any evidence they cause spread of the virus. Nphet won't be happy till we're all confined to our bedrooms like bold children.
    I'd actually see it as likely to be one of the final times that their proposals will carry a lot of weight. My hope and wish for the first part of the year is to see hospitalisations shrink to almost nothing. The bedroom thing was Colm Henry, but he was very nice about it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Probably be the same story as in October. Government go against NPHET advise and make a big song and dance about it, only to have to engage in an embarrassing backtrack a week later and implement a longer and harsher set of restrictions as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yet if they voice concern about its effectiveness or raise questions about taking it they are rounded on with a chorus of being anti vaxxers or other insult. Throughout this pandemic, one thing has been obvious, is the polarising of opinion. If you don't agree with the majority your opinion doesn't matter, and therefore obviously must be stupid or some other insult. The inability to see things from the other side is lacking in most debates. It happens on both sides but predominantly from those in favour of stricter lockdowns.
    Yes, those horrible doom-mongers, curtain-twitchers and case-**** insulting others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

He's got special "Santibodies" according to Morning Ireland.

Closing non essential retail was an idiotic suggestion both socially and economically. Tough job for the government to balance the health of society versus all the other aspects of life. The six week non essential retail closure cost circa 1.3 billion of borrowed money.
    Good to see some sense , plus it may be a wake up call to the small few retailers who need to respect the guidelines

Probably be the same story as in October. Government go against NPHET advise and make a big song and dance about it, only to have to engage in an embarrassing backtrack a week later and implement a longer and harsher set of restrictions as a result.
    Well they/Leo have flagged up to 6 weeks anyway. What's different now is the arrival of the vaccine(s). In six weeks time, as we stand, we'll have got a lot of the more at risk people done with their two shots. That alone should take care of hospital numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yet if they voice concern about its effectiveness or raise questions about taking it they are rounded on with a chorus of being anti vaxxers or other insult. Throughout this pandemic, one thing has been obvious, is the polarising of opinion. If you don't agree with the majority your opinion doesn't matter, and therefore obviously must be stupid or some other insult. The inability to see things from the other side is lacking in most debates. It happens on both sides but predominantly from those in favour of stricter lockdowns.

You're playing the victim here, this isn't true. Differing opinions are good if they are reasonable and come from people who have good understanding of the situation. The problem I have with the anti lockdown / anti vaccine stance is that it simply has no basis in facts and isn't supported by any reasonable scientific evidence or any type of evidence really.

If you say stupid things people will think you're stupid. If you make reasoned arguments backed up by facts and evidence people will listen and consider them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Did he self-isolate on coming back? :P

It kind of looks like he's talking from a home office doesn't it....;)

I also learned from that video that today is Fauci's 80th birthday. So happy birthday to a guy who should be long retired and instead is working non-stop in extremely difficult circumstances and getting death threats in return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

They never learn.

Yep exactly, the way europe has gone, NPHET were correct and we got the higher numbers as a result of waiting 2 weeks, which made lifting xmas restrictions way more risky which is now resulting in a new lockdown.

NPHET have been correct each time, I know the conspiracy fools will say holohon wants to destroy the country which is total crap. Whether people like it or not we are heading for a hard lockdown, all you need to do is go to any shop and you will see people not obeying rules, people think mask wearing replaces 2m distance.

A hard lockdown when NPHET recommended it would have had our numbers down below 50 a day but the government tried to say they were in charge and are doing so again, I reckon restaurants won't be open till April, no way will they risk paddy's day

• Advertisement

Could the reason there’s no evidence of spread be down to the fact that a persons details aren’t logged when going in and out of shops?

Hairdressers, restaurants, etc have to log details so it’s the only place they can gather data from?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

The lockdown hadn't even begun and NPHET are already looking for more restrictions. Why don't they wait at least 2 weeks and see if the new restrictions work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

When they say restaurants closed from 3pm today, are take aways still allowed, and for pubs - takeaways from 26th?

edit: ok takeaway allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    The lockdown hadn't even begun and NPHET are already looking for more restrictions. Why don't they wait at least 2 weeks and see if the new restrictions work?
    They're probably trying to save people rather than experiment.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    They never learn.

Nphet's advice will always be lockdown more restrictions..... the government and politics has to balance the health advice with many other factors. The economic damage is also a reality that has to dealt with and to mitigate the damage as much as possible while protecting health is a balancing act I don't envy the government. Hurlers on the ditch will castigate no matter what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well they/Leo have flagged up to 6 weeks anyway. What's different now is the arrival of the vaccine(s). In six weeks time, as we stand, we'll have got a lot of the more at risk people done with their two shots. That alone should take care of hospital numbers.

Hospital numbers won't be impacted that quickly from vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The latest Google mobility data makes for a depressing read.
    Our adherence to the restrictions continues to decline. Some counties are all but back to normal. For now.

People do not seem to be paying any heed to NPHET or government warnings. A disaster over Christmas is looking more and more likely.
    I just hope I'm not part of it

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-12-20_IE_Mobility_Report_en-GB.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The latest Google mobility data makes for a depressing read.
    Our adherence to the restrictions continues to decline. Some counties are all but back to normal. For now.

People do not seem to be paying any heed to NPHET or government warnings. A disaster over Christmas is looking more and more likely.
    I just hope I'm not part of it

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-12-20_IE_Mobility_Report_en-GB.pdf

You should lay off the google data for awhile, give yourself a break!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Hospital numbers won't be impacted that quickly from vaccination.
    It's not just those who are in hospital it's also the need of others to go to hospital in the first place. If you've reduced or removed that risk in a lot of the target groups it will affect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Ficheall wrote: »
    They're probably trying to save people rather than experiment.

It's easy for NPHET to use the nuclear option (lockdown everything) anytime cases rise. But the government has to consider the economy and other things in their options.

Also it has been pointed out many times that there has been no evidence of spread in retail. So I don't think it is gonna have a huge effect on "saving people".

During the first lockdown cases dropped even when supermarkets were open, why is that? Is it because the virus only attacks people in non essential retail??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement