Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Increase in numbers in hospital with Covid up to 255 from yesterday's 239 today but number in ICU down to 22 from yesterday's 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Going to take 6 weeks to vaccinate just nursing homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Increase in numbers in hospital with Covid up to 255 from yesterday's 239

Staff or patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Increase in numbers in hospital with Covid up to 255 from yesterday's 239 today but number in ICU down to 22 from yesterday's 25.

The ICU numbers will be climbing again next week, sad to say, there is always a lag.

MadYaker wrote: »
    You leave poor Arlene out of this!

Well they have issues too but I meant north of the Mexican border.
    Reminds me years ago I was in a pub in Belfast with a few friends, we got chatting a few local girls . One of them called me a Mexican, I got confused until she said it was slang for South of the border, better than Taig I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Out early today. Good to see huge amounts of testing happening anyway.

Yeah, that's beyond what i thought our capacity was.
    Any idea what it actually is?

If there are a large number of people getting tested "just in case", then it's likely diluting the positivity rate while also increasing the number of positive swabs somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Gael23 wrote: »

Crazy stuff...not even planning to work weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

If there are a large number of people getting tested "just in case", then it's likely diluting the positivity rate while also increasing the number of positive swabs somewhat.

I can't find anything official on testing capacity. 20000 a day was mentioned I think but I can't find the source. They are probably trying to get as up to date as possible before Christmas Day.

Staff or patients?
    Patients of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I see New Ross has overtaken Carndonagh as the most riddled LEA. I think it's a while since it's been off the top spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Did they say that? Surprising considering we will have 41k vaccines in the country by next week and nursing home patient population is 24k. I would have thought we will have all the first doses done by the end of the first week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where did you read that fact ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

25k per day last I read a few weeks ago I think it was.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where did you read that fact ??

This article agrees with the poster the figures though are all residents and staff about 78,000 people. "Covid-19: All nursing home residents, staff could be vaccinated by February, taskforce head says" https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/covid-19-all-nursing-home-residents-staff-could-be-vaccinated-by-february-taskforce-head-says-1.4438391?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    5.57%

Swabs Completed

Is that our largest ever no of swabs taken?

Some amount of tests completed and unfortunately cases

How many days are required between doses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Is that our largest ever no of swabs taken?

Some amount of tests completed and unfortunately cases

Whats our capacity for testing in Ireland do we know?

As has been said to you multiple times over different threads, mid February is a good estimate. 30k residents, just over that in staff. 40k doses per week arriving in, first jabs by say 3rd week of January, then factor in second dose and your looking at early to mid February so all in all about 6 weeks from start to finish in nursing homes is quite good.

At the same time you've also a decent stock to start making inroads to paitent facing healthcare staff January into February

How many days are required between doses?

21 days for the Pfizer vaccine I believe. First dose is 65% effective the second dose elevates the figure to over 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

MadYaker wrote: »
    Epidemiological modelling predictions, economic predictions from the ESRI and how best to mitigate the fallout and balance that against national debt, reports on hospital function and capacity, various ministers pushing for this that and the other, lobbyists and heads of industry applying pressure for various things. The effect of the virus on schools, how best to keep them open, plans for what happens if the virus gets out of control and the HSE is overrun etc etc and probably a load more stuff that I can't even imagine and all the information changes constantly as the situation evolves. Yeah sounds like childs play alright.

Sounds just like the sort of job I would thrive in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As has been said to you multiple times over different threads, mid February is a good estimate. 30k residents, just over that in staff. 40k doses per week arriving in, first jabs by say 3rd week of January, then factor in second dose and your looking at early to mid February so all in all about 6 weeks from start to finish in nursing homes is quite good.

At the same time you've also a decent stock to start making inroads to paitent facing healthcare staff January into February

On the vaccine thread it looks like they are doing a Monday to Friday 9-5 job with not one vaccine given until
    January 11th

So what are they doing until the 3rd week of January in your post???

A new variant has been discovered in Nigeria now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Mexico has 25 times the population of Ireland to start...

They have seen the equivalent of 10,000 Irish excess deaths. In a population with a fraction of our over 65's demographic per capita

21 days for the Pfizer vaccine I believe. First dose is 65% effective the second dose elevates the figure to over 90%

Fairly good going to have nursing homes done in six weeks so. From my experience it's been tough going for anyone with family in nursing home or elderly in hospital. Everyone else seems to be making the best of it even job and business loss etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

The Nigerian covid variant

JeffKenna wrote: »
    So what are they doing until the 3rd week of January in your post???

HSE flagged last week that the first week or two would be at acute hospital sites before being able to move to sites.

Much like the UK approach it was only at hospital sites for the first 2 weeks.

HSE flagged last week that the first week or two would be at acute hospital sites before being able to move to sites.

Much like the UK approach it was only at hospital sites for the first 2 weeks.

10,000 doses coming on St Stephen's Day. Seem to be missing 2 weeks somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Just send your bank details and they'll send you the vaccine.. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement