Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Heads down to Easter. Forget two weeks. Put NPHET and experts out vaccinating, doing something useful, forget the figures and statistics. After all the planning and Modelling, they messed up Christmas. It’s just another Friday with a Turkey and some beer. We will enjoy a NPHET Christmas, no Pubs, Hotels, Everything terminated. Roll on 2021. Good health to all.

Whatever about the rest of the post, I think that it probably is “heads down to Easter”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Happy Christmas to all, good debate on here at times with varying opinions. Hopefully 2021 we will see something near normality returning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Time to unfollow for the day.

Happy Christmas peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Have a cool Yule guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's not a random selection, though. Theoretically, the most likely to be infected should be the first tested, and therefore within the smaller cohort. Expanding the size of said cohort should therefore reduce the positivity rate.
    If you test double the numbers and get double the number of cases, it suggests you might as well be testing people at random and ignoring those who were contact-traced or symptom-referred.

Agreed. I wouldnt imagine its linear. Like test 10,000 find 500, test 20,000 find 1000. I guess there is a random element and a non-random element. Hard to quantify what each is. But testing more will certainly have some impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Heads down to Easter. Forget two weeks. Put NPHET and experts out vaccinating, doing something useful, forget the figures and statistics. After all the planning and Modelling, they messed up Christmas. It’s just another Friday with a Turkey and some beer. We will enjoy a NPHET Christmas, no Pubs, Hotels, Everything terminated. Roll on 2021. Good health to all.

You have a very sad life if not being able to go to the pub is the reason why your Christmas is ****. Seek help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Heard a lady I know died early this morning. She has 16 living children. How do you do that sort of funeral these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I do hope you are joking :D

They were distanced and singing in mass. Distance doesn't matter with an airborne virus. Singing spreads covid more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Heard a lady I know died early this morning. She has 16 living children. How do you do that sort of funeral these days

Ramsgrange Co Wexford might have some tips.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Ramsgrange Co Wexford might have some tips.

It’s on the surrounding area as it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Merry Xmas to everyone on thread hoping you are having a nice Xmas, found out today that my sister in Dundee and her family have covid, they all tested positive a few days ago, so far they are feeling a bit fatigued and wheezy, some have lost their sense of smell but the seem to be OK otherwise.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Merry Xmas to everyone on thread hoping you are having a nice Xmas, found out today that my sister in Dundee and her family have covid, they all tested positive a few days ago, so far they are feeling a bit fatigued and wheezy, some have lost their sense of smell but the seem to be OK otherwise.

Best wishes to them all for a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was there bouncers at mass checking tickets today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

From Twitter:

@ ZaraKing

#NEW

2 further deaths.

1,025 new confirmed cases.

@VirginMediaNews
    #Covid19Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Just found out my 96 year old granny, who had covid back in April but remained almost completely asymptomatic, was told yesterday she’ll be getting her first jab on Jan 21st. Nice bit of decent news for Christmas :)

Fantastic, delighted for her and your family! It’s great to hear positive news like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Christmas Day case numbers are high as expected.

There's a big danger from the post-Christmas sales (can't be called "sales"... but shoppers will be out and about in droves irrespective).

New Year's Eve house parties a major headache also.

Wouldn't be surprised if the daily number was 1,500 or 2,000 by January 4th. It would be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Had a lovely window visit with my Dad at his nursing home earlier with my siblings. Just wanted to mention how amazing the staff have been there and in other nursing homes and hospitals as it must be incredibly difficult emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Would have been nice not to get a notification from rte today. Was one day without the constant covid news the last 11 months too much to ask.

prunudo wrote: »
    Would have been nice not to get a notification from rte today. Was one day without the constant covid news the last 11 months too much to ask.

Have to keep up the fear

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

In some more positive news:
    25,000 people in Northern Ireland have already been vaccinated, there's hope out there!

I think I read over one million have been vaccinated in America too.

It looks bleak when u look at the mainstream news but there is an end in sight folks!

Ireland expects to have all nursing home staff, residents and healthcare staff to be vaccinated by March if I remember correctly (dont quote me on this one though).

Do what u can and have a good Christmas and happy new year everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Did you turn notifications off??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Did you turn notifications off??

Tbh, it wasn't high on my priority list the last few days. Given its a skeleton staff in rte at Christmas I had hoped they would spare us the need to tell us today's covid numbers, bit naive I suppose.

Agree they should have left it off today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just found out my 96 year old granny, who had covid back in April but remained almost completely asymptomatic, was told yesterday she’ll be getting her first jab on Jan 21st. Nice bit of decent news for Christmas :)

Brilliant. Great to hear some positive news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Have to keep up the fear

I think people need to be a lot more fearful than they currently are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Christmas Day case numbers are high as expected.

There's a big danger from the post-Christmas sales (can't be called "sales"... but shoppers will be out and about in droves irrespective).

New Year's Eve house parties a major headache also.

Wouldn't be surprised if the daily number was 1,500 or 2,000 by January 4th. It would be expected.

Once they are mostly asymptomatic and the death rate remains low, does it matter. We could all have any number of illness with worse outcomes and be asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can never understand this. Why do you have notifications on for news that you don’t want to hear??? I swear to god I’m convinced that people who don’t actually get the virus are still affected in some way, it’s ruined people’s ability to think properly.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Agree they should have left it off today

So act like nothing is happening?

Should all bad news be left away from the news just because it’s Christmas?

I get the frustration but this is nonsense

They were distanced and singing in mass. Distance doesn't matter with an airborne virus. Singing spreads covid more.

For one day try not to worry about Covid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

People want to read news that suits them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement