Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Faugheen wrote: »
    So act like nothing is happening?

Should all bad news be left away from the news just because it’s Christmas?

I get the frustration but this is nonsense

Just let people enjoy their day for once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Gael23 wrote: »
    Just let people enjoy their day for once

Then turn off your notifications if you don’t want to know what’s happening in the world. It’s really not that hard tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Benimar wrote: »
    Then turn off your notifications if you don’t want to know what’s happening in the world. It’s really not that hard tbh.

Not hard, like I said though, turning off notifications wasn't high on my priority list the last few days. I'll know for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Working on my new app which only sends nice push notifications. Unfortunately they're all false but you feel good believing everything is fine. I'll throw in a free "Everything's OK" alarm for the first 100 customers.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Christmas Day case numbers are high as expected.

There's a big danger from the post-Christmas sales (can't be called "sales"... but shoppers will be out and about in droves irrespective).

New Year's Eve house parties a major headache also.

Wouldn't be surprised if the daily number was 1,500 or 2,000 by January 4th. It would be expected.

Why would it be expected to have high numbers reported on Christmas Day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

prunudo wrote: »
    Not hard, like I said though, turning off notifications wasn't high on my priority list the last few days. I'll know for next time.

So making sure you didn’t get notifications was not high on your priority list, but complaining when you do get them appears to be.

Some people are never happy, unless they’re unhappy.

Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They actually announced numbers today?

****ing clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People posting on a COVID-19 thread, in a Covid19 forum, complaining about being sent notifications about today’s numbers....right...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

MadYaker wrote: »
    I can never understand this. Why do you have notifications on for news that you don’t want to hear??? I swear to god I’m convinced that people who don’t actually get the virus are still affected in some way, it’s ruined people’s ability to think properly.

A lot of people genuinely don't know how notifications work, they think RTE can just magically push Covid updates to people's phone. Q tip: you can disable notifications via browser settingsm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

El Sueño wrote: »
    They actually announced numbers today?

****ing clowns

Of course they did. I don't have the RTE News app installed but got similar notifications from the IT and Indo within seconds of each other (which by the way are either on or off - you can't customise what is pushed out)

NPHET need to keep the "concern-o-meter" (or whatever that chart that they actually produced a while ago was called to finger-wag that people weren't worried enough) high to justify the imminent return to another pointless lockdown that will achieve nothing except put more people out of work and businesses at risk, while making more people switch off entirely because of the constant calls of "wolf", and causing more disagreements between people who can't understand that "we're all in this together" doesn't mean "everyone is in this with me and share my own level of concern about it", and people who have a broader perspective on it.

Luckily though we still have only a small number of deaths per day and overall (taken in the context of a population of 5 million people over a 10 month period), and very few people in critical ICU care. If this was as dangerous as RTE and Co would suggest then these numbers would have increased massively over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

My immediate neighbours house today. Four different families all inside from about 2pm and still there now. Having dinner I'm guessing plenty of music and singing anyway. Its a small 3 bed house and they have no windows at the front open.

You think people would just for the sake of everyone not be a complete bollox for a day and put the greater good first. Funny thing they both own a restaurant and himself was only last week having a go at "da gubbeermint" for the way they've handled the crisis.

The lack of self awareness is astounding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

In Europe ROI has

- The lowest ICU total.
    -2nd lowest hospitalized.
    -2nd lowest death rate.
    -4th lowest case rate in Europe
    -5th lowest positivity rate in Europe

Happy Christmas all and stay safe.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Of course they did. I don't have the RTE News app installed but got similar notifications from the IT and Indo within seconds of each other (which by the way are either on or off - you can't customise what is pushed out)

NPHET need to keep the "concern-o-meter" (or whatever that chart that they actually produced a while ago was called to finger-wag that people weren't worried enough) high to justify the imminent return to another pointless lockdown that will achieve nothing except put more people out of work and businesses at risk, while making more people switch off entirely because of the constant calls of "wolf", and causing more disagreements between people who can't understand that "we're all in this together" doesn't mean "everyone is in this with me and share my own level of concern about it", and people who have a broader perspective on it.

Luckily though we still have only a small number of deaths per day and overall (taken in the context of a population of 5 million people over a 10 month period), and very few people in critical ICU care. If this was as dangerous as RTE and Co would suggest then these numbers would have increased massively over the last few months.

Yes that's true, it's all or nothing. Surprised you can't filter by category at least, but guess this isn't in interests of media platform to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd imagine we'll get hardly anything tomorrow as surely aren't people getting tested today

In Europe ROI has

- The lowest ICU total.
    -2nd lowest death rate.

I would be interested to see what's our positivity rate per capita, is there anywhere to find this?

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd imagine we'll get hardly anything tomorrow as surely aren't people getting tested today

I imagine that most people going for tests tomorrow may be presenting with 'classic symptoms'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

In Europe ROI has

- The lowest ICU total.
    -2nd lowest death rate.

Yeah, it's always been like some sort of competition with no top prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

In Europe ROI has

- The lowest ICU total.
    -2nd lowest death rate.

and the highest growth rate per day. The irony of people posting on a Covid forum complaining about RTE news releasing the numbers is pretty odd tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In Europe ROI has

- The lowest ICU total.
    -2nd lowest death rate.

I presume that's per 100,000 person or a similar metric?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

titan18 wrote: »

There is testing ongoing today. Family member was a close contact of a case and some were being tested in Dublin today. Second test being done for her tomorrow. I would expect the numbers tested to be down, but still ongoing. With the surge they can’t afford a day off now sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wadacrack wrote: »
    and the highest growth rate per day. The irony of people posting on a Covid forum complaining about RTE news releasing the numbers is pretty odd tbh

It is strange, it's like giving out about people talking about result from team you follow just because they lost and you don't want to hear about it.. Stop seeking it out then. It's very Irish, one of the reasons why LLS has decent viewership is because people watch it to complain about it, it's a pasttime for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

wadacrack wrote: »

It's Christmas day. Some people won't have seen family in months and are getting a few precious hours together today.

What's the point in highlighting new cases that they can do nothing about and the overwhelming majority of those people will recover just fine - if they even have symptoms at all, other than to try to browbeat them into compliance with restrictions that are wholly out of sync with the actual position (as highlighted above).

They should give it a rest for at least a day and let people enjoy it as best they can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's Christmas day. Some people won't have seen family in months and are getting a few precious hours together today.

What's the point in highlighting new cases that they can do nothing about and the overwhelming majority of those people will recover just fine - if they even have symptoms at all, other than to try to browbeat them into compliance with restrictions that are wholly out of sync with the actual position (as highlighted above).

They should give it a rest for at least a day and let people enjoy it as best they can

Well no one is forcing you to watch the news or post in this thread, you can always ignore the topic and be stupid somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    People posting on a COVID-19 thread, in a Covid19 forum, complaining about being sent notifications about today’s numbers....right...

Almost as bad as people complaining about people posting on a COVID-19 thread, in a Covid19 forum, complaining about being sent notifications about today’s numbers :D

Seriously though Happy Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You think they'd at least have let us have Christmas day off from their pointless complaining about being informed of the case numbers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

How is it browbeating? It's the news, either listen to/watch it or don't? Expecting news to be completely censored for the entire country because you want to bury your head in the sand for a day is ridiculous. Sure, we could make the point all year long about how we can't "do anything" about bad news. They report it so that people can stay informed, not so that people will "do something" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

ElJeffe wrote: »
    My immediate neighbours house today. Four different families all inside from about 2pm and still there now. Having dinner I'm guessing plenty of music and singing anyway. Its a small 3 bed house and they have no windows at the front open.

You think people would just for the sake of everyone not be a complete bollox for a day and put the greater good first. Funny thing they both own a restaurant and himself was only last week having a go at "da gubbeermint" for the way they've handled the crisis.

The lack of self awareness is astounding

But what skin is it off your nose? Whilst there is a slight chance one of them has it the likelihood is they won't have spread any covid amongst themselves and will have had a lovely day and night together before heading off their separate ways tonight and tomorrow back into restrictions for the forseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Why don't you do that and no post on a forum dedicated to Covid. People have a choice of ignoring them btw. Not compulsory to turn on rte news or use social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Waa waa.
    Announce numbers, scaremongering.
    Don't announce numbers, someone's hiding something.

Can't win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement