Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Any particular reason why we have the "fastest growing incidence rate in the European Union"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I would be interested to see what's our positivity rate per capita, is there anywhere to find this?

Positivity rate per capita isn’t really a thing tho, it’s a function of number of tests:positive tests, so per capita shouldn’t really matter. Maybe tests per capita is more important? Obviously If Ireland and Italy were doing the same number of tests it would be an issue for Italy.

It does seem though that hitting about 12-15,000 tests per day is good enough given our positivity rate is less than 10, and it’s nice to know we can push it up to just over 20k when the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

But what skin is it off your nose? Whilst there is a slight chance one of them has it the likelihood is they won't have spread any covid amongst themselves and will have had a lovely day and night together before heading off their separate ways tonight and tomorrow back into restrictions for the forseeable.

I don’t think you understand how the virus spreads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

ElJeffe wrote: »
    My immediate neighbours house today. Four different families all inside from about 2pm and still there now. Having dinner I'm guessing plenty of music and singing anyway. Its a small 3 bed house and they have no windows at the front open.

You think people would just for the sake of everyone not be a complete bollox for a day and put the greater good first. Funny thing they both own a restaurant and himself was only last week having a go at "da gubbeermint" for the way they've handled the crisis.

The lack of self awareness is astounding

The above may not have actually happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

j@utis wrote: »
    Yeah, it's always been like some sort of competition with no top prize.

It's no competition but a bit of perspective like that is worth seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

wadacrack wrote: »
    Why don't you do that and no post on a forum dedicated to Covid. People have a choice of ignoring them btw. Not compulsory to turn on rte news or use social media

What I find most bemusing about this whole thing is attitudes like the above where posters throw their toys out of the pram because others don't share their level of concern/fear over the virus.

If it was as easy to ignore such views, the constant coverage, or the impact on people's lives I'd be all for your suggestions but unfortunately that's not realistic

As I said before.. "we're all in this together" is NOT the same thing as "everyone is in this with me and should share my opinion and concern about it" - something many on this thread (and others like it) seem to have an issue with

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Allinall wrote: »
    I don’t think you understand how the virus spreads.

Yeah I've no idea how the virus spreads after living with the thing for 9/10 months :rolleyes: It's likely there will be no spread in that house, those are the facts and those are the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What I find most bemusing about this whole thing is attitudes like the above where posters throw their toys out of the pram because others don't share their level of concern/fear over the virus.

If it was as easy to ignore such views, the constant coverage, or the impact on people's lives I'd be all for your suggestions but unfortunately that's not realistic

As I said before.. "we're all in this together" is NOT the same thing as "everyone is in this with me and should share my opinion and concern about it" - something many on this thread (and others like it) seem to have an issue with

Come off it coming into a covid forum to complain about the numbers, jez it's as bad as going into a thread on the weather warning for rain and complaining about the amount of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wadacraks post was in response to someone who wants the news censored for everyone in the country because it's Christmas. That's not quite the same thing as having a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Different opinions has nothing to do with what I posted. You are still posting on a Covid forum btw in spite of previously stating that you wanted to enjoy your day and forget about the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spookwoman wrote: »
    Come off it coming into a covid forum to complain about the numbers, jez it's as bad as going into a thread on the weather warning for rain and complaining about the amount of rain.

It's a discussion forum and topic aside, the reality is that people will have different views and ideas and they may not match yours or those of others.

Covid is a serious disease most certainly but thankfully the risk to the vast majority of people in the country is very low as proven by the numbers - new cases, as I've repeatedly said, mean nothing... It's the OUTCOME of those cases that is the important metric, and thankfully that outcome is very positive in the vast majority of cases

But this fact (and the points raised previously by another poster about where we ACTUALLY are with this virus) have been lost in the constant noise about numbers and restrictions.

No one actually WANTS to get sick or see those they care about get sick or worse - but thankfully the risk of that happening is very low as evidenced by the small numbers in ICU and low numbers of deaths overall (factoring in the 5 million population, 10 months later, and the truth that people do and always have died regardless of CV-19).

Therefore it's not surprising that many are questioning the proportionality (or lack thereof) of the responses and messaging coming from NPHET and the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't see what's wrong with saying they shouldn't be releasing numbers on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

El Sueño wrote: »
    I don't see what's wrong with saying they shouldn't be releasing numbers on Christmas day

Because it’s just a normal news day.

No one needs to look at it. If they don’t want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Maybe we should prevent any news on Christmas day right..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

I suppose people won't want them releasing numbers on their birthdays too incase it ruins the day for them? That's not how the world works unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Any particular reason why we have the "fastest growing incidence rate in the European Union"?

Ireland was one of the few (only?) EU contries doing a lockdown in October/November to "save Christmas", while other countries (at least the one I keep track off - Germany, France, italy etc) had more relaxed measures in place back then, but then had to tighten them (or at least not relax them) during December.

So we are just seeing the effect of having opened business/restaurants/etc up at the beginning of the month, nothing extremely surprising.

Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't really understand why not to.

Testing centres are still open, people are still getting tested, it's still an ongoing problem - and whether we like it or not the disease will still spread over Christmas. I think taking the day off from reporting numbers creates a false impression that the disease takes the day off as well - particularly at the exact time, more than ever, you are trying to emphasise to people to be sensible and cautious.

If it bothers people that much to be reminded about it, you can just ignore it. It isn't hard to do: there was less coverage about it today in the media than any other day since it started.

Christmas day is different

I see that I'm pissing against the wind here though so I'll leave it at that

Perhaps we shouldn't release bad news on people's birthdays either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

I know there's mixed opinions on schools but my opinion is there seriously hindering the stats to justify them been open.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/covid-19-50-increase-detected-in-schools-following-mass-testing-last-week-1.4444667

So there is 1.2 million people in full-time education in Ireland and according to this 94 tested positive out of 2800 people.

So let's do 1,200,000 divided by 2800 and multiplied by 94 which gives 40285 currently active cases in schools and imagine the number of parents siblings infected because of this and they hide these numbers as well as community transmission.

No but the schools are fine and not spreading the virus. Let's bankrupt people instead.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Perhaps we shouldn't release bad news on people's birthdays either.

Someone already posted that about 5 posts above yours

It wasn't clever then either

Someone posted that about 5 posts above yours

It wasn't clever then either

I won't resort to personal digs.

It's a rational projection of the reasoning behind your post. Don't publish bad news in case it ruins someone's nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not trying to antagonise you here, but genuinely, why is it different in your view?

I understand maybe that people don't want to spend the day thinking about Covid, which is fair enough on an individual level.

But I don't see how that supersedes the duty to report on the current situation.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't really understand why not to.

Testing centres are still open, people are still getting tested, it's still an ongoing problem - and whether we like it or not the disease will still spread over Christmas. I think taking the day off from reporting numbers creates a false impression that the disease takes the day off as well - particularly at the exact time, more than ever, you are trying to emphasise to people to be sensible and cautious.

If it bothers people that much to be reminded about it, you can just ignore it. It isn't hard to do: there was less coverage about it today in the media than any other day since it started.

You do make some good points there in fairness

It's nice to see a well thought out response on here!

You do make some good points there in fairness

It's nice to see a well thought out response on here!

Isn't it :D

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm not trying to antagonise you here, but genuinely, why is it different in your view?

I understand maybe that people don't want to spend the day thinking about Covid, which is fair enough on an individual level.

But I don't see how that supersedes the duty to report on the current situation.

I had that written before I saw yours, my reply just happened to appear directly underneath yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Someone's playing on repeat numba 1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hate to ruin peoples' fairytale xmas but bad sh1t happens Xmas day as well as any other day of the year.

You don't like it, turn off the news and put the phone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How is it different?
    To Easter? To Eid?

It’s a normal day and there’s tests going every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

ElJeffe wrote: »
    My immediate neighbours house today. Four different families all inside from about 2pm and still there now. Having dinner I'm guessing plenty of music and singing anyway. Its a small 3 bed house and they have no windows at the front open.

You think people would just for the sake of everyone not be a complete bollox for a day and put the greater good first. Funny thing they both own a restaurant and himself was only last week having a go at "da gubbeermint" for the way they've handled the crisis.

The lack of self awareness is astounding

It's Christmas day... You're spending it, spying on your neighbours.

In the interests of criticising the post and not the poster, that is a pathetic post and I genuinely feel sorry for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement