Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Funny how the ICU numbers aren’t in the push notifications from RTÉ lately!!

ICU numbers are going to stay static for a while. There's a lag between cases and hospitalisation numbers and hospitalisation numbers and ICU admittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

1296 cases so much for today being a let up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

This is the problem with exponential growth. Once it starts it can really mushroom and accelerate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

paulie21 wrote: »

Its probably reactive of tests done Thursday tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Because there hasn’t been any change?
    It’s not a conspiracy ffs!

There was 19 alone in the past 24hrs admitted to hospital and with these case numbers ICU numbers will increase with it over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

High enough numbers, but given the swabs and potential back log not overly surprising. Hopefully start to see a drop off in coming days. Hopsital and icu still in a good place so that is promising.

Although this little is nugget is worrying

"There is now a total of 85,394 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland"

I had no idea there were so many cases in Ireland at present. Oh no wait, what it should say, is to date there have been 85,394 cases in Ireland since February 2020. That line implies its current.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How many tests? Is the positivity rate the same or is it growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There is a lag behind an increase in case numbers and an increase in hospital/ICU admissions. People get infected, it takes a week or so to develop symptoms and another week or so for those symptoms to develop to the degree they warrant hospitalisation in those who get very ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Gael23 wrote: »
    1256 cases and 6 deaths

Have the DoH stopped providing the County Breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Arghus wrote: »
    ICU numbers are going to stay static for a while. There's a lag between cases and hospitalisation numbers and hospitalisation numbers and ICU admittance.

Agree if ICU can be kept below 60 by mid January we will have done well.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There is a lag behind an increase in case numbers and an increase in hospital/ICU admissions. People get infected, it takes a week or so to develop symptoms and another week or so for those symptoms to develop to the degree they warrant hospitalisation in those who get very ill.

I totally understand this. Can anyone tell my why ICU Admissions or hospitalisations haven’t been growing exponentially over the past few months?

The cases numbers have been up and down over the months but the most important numbers have remained relatively stable.

I’m thinking we won’t see this overwhelming of the hospital system despite having 1000 odd cases a day. Even in two, three weeks it will be fine. Am I wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Big big jump. :(

The Xmas surge on top of these numbers are going to be grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gael23 wrote: »
    1256 cases and 6 deaths

Is there any county breakdown?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I totally understand this. Can anyone tell my why ICU Admissions or hospitalisations haven’t been growing exponentially over the past few months?

The cases numbers have been up and down over the months but the most important numbers have remained relatively stable.

I’m thinking we won’t see this overwhelming of the hospital system despite having 1000 odd cases a day. Even in two, three weeks it will be fine. Am I wrong

Age of those testing positive ie lower than the first wave so fewer hospitalizations this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have the DoH stopped providing the County Breakdown?

I suspect we won't see them over the holiday period. Quite understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

prunudo wrote: »
    High enough numbers, but given the swabs and potential back log not overly surprising. Hopefully start to see a drop off in coming days. Hopsital and icu still in a good place so that is promising.

Although this little is nugget is worrying

"There is now a total of 85,394 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland"

I had no idea there were so many cases in Ireland at present. Oh no wait, what it should say, is to date there have been 85,394 cases in Ireland since February 2020. That line implies its current.

I wonder how many unconfirmed cases there were?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is that a daily record, what's the most we had in one day in ROI?

I think when we look back on this in hindsight, the idea of cancelling Xmas and having a festival this summer instead may start to look a lot less insane than they did a few weeks ago.

If we'd waited until after the rollout of the vaccines, especially to the most vulnerable, before having a big massive social event, we probably wouldn't have any of the profound impacts we're likely to now.

Also why is the HSE not starting vaccines today? Waiting until Wednesday could put a lot of people into risk of vulnerability they didn't need to be in if this thing is running riot, as it seem to be.

An extra 4 days is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I think when we look back on this in hindsight, the idea of cancelling Xmas and having a festival this summer instead may start to look a lot less insane than they did a few weeks ago.

If we'd waited until after the rollout of the vaccines, especially to the most vulnerable, before having a big massive social event, we probably wouldn't have any of the profound impacts we're likely to now.

Also why is the HSE not starting vaccines today? Waiting until Wednesday could put a lot of people into risk of vulnerability they didn't need to be in if this thing is running riot, as it seem to be.

An extra 4 days is unnecessary.

What profound effects?? The hospitals are nowhere near capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

We apparently had 1500+ one day in April

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It is a daily record from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Big big jump. :(

The Xmas surge on top of these numbers are going to be grim.

Basically a free for all Christmas. Majority just ignored the advice. January will be bad. However, I note that ICU and admissions still not going up at same rate. Maybe it's more virulent as it mutates but gets weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well seemingly half the country had it back in January/February, so must be 2.5m anyway.

Joking aside though, unless they get an accurate antibody test we'll never know.

domrush wrote: »
    What profound effects?? The hospitals are nowhere near capacity

Well if you're adding 1200 cases today and say 1400 cases tomorrow and so on, there'll be profound effects in 2 to 3 weeks.

This thing moves REALLY fast when it gets a grip. That's always been the problem with it and people can't seem to get their head around that, despite months of experience elsewhere.

Drip, drip, drip .... deluge.

That's been the pattern everywhere this has happened and we now have all the signs of a fairly serious wave kicking off here after Xmas mingling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They haven't confirmed that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Probably.... just look up north and over to the UK and see how fast it moves when it takes off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Basically a free for all Christmas. Majority just ignored the advice. January will be bad. However, I note that ICU and admissions still not going up at same rate. Maybe it's more virulent as it mutates but gets weaker.

I really hope so but all the experts seem to be saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AutoTuning wrote: »

it was never an insane idea, just a ridiculous one.

The state doesn't decide when Xmas takes place. There is no marketing campaign in existence that could have encouraged people to "cancel" Xmas until the Summer.

Such an attempt would be a farce, this government would be ridiculed for the next 5 decades. "D'ye remember the time they tried to cancel Xmas"

Surely we haven’t seen the effect of Christmas yet at all?

Is what we’re seeing an increased demand for tests before people mingle households at Xmas. I think this think is rampant everywhere and it’s probably nobody’s fault that there’s so many numbers. How many of these people are actually sick, that’s the question. There’s so much we don’t know.

We need to focus on hospitalisations and ICU numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You're wrong I'm afraid.

Hospitalisations are rising steadily, and will keep rising long after cases have peaked.
    We still have a lot of people in hospital from the last wave, so we're not in great shape.

I'm terms of hospitalisations we've only really had two waves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement