Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Donegal at 212.3 no sign of getting it down so far.

National 84.7 is encouraging
    Surveillance screening of all staff in Letterkenny Hospital has started this week. Not decided yet if it is a once off or going to be an ongoing process. I think it’s a good move when numbers are persistently high in Donegal.

It may cause numbers to temporarily increase again as it will pick asymptomatic positive cases but hopefully will help break some of the chains of transmission and help protect patients admitted to the hospital with unrelated illnesses. Downside is that it will put pressure on staffing levels but to avoid doing it for this reason would feel like a Trump move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Just a question but were you posting about places in Europe that were open during the Summer whilst we were still under restrictions here?

Probably..why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Probably..why?
    I'm just trying to understand the relevance of your post. I don't remember you highlighting how so much of Europe was open and we here were still under heavy restrictions during the Summer. Yet now it is important to make a comparison. Strange to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭prunudo

Anyone know whats driving the spike in numbers in Wicklow. 28 today isn't a good sign although hopefully its targeted testing and they're picking up cases that ordinarily might slip through the cracks.

I'm just trying to understand the relevance of your post. I don't remember you highlighting how so much of Europe was open and we here were still under heavy restrictions during the Summer. Yet now it is important to make a comparison. Strange to be honest.

And I don't see the relevance of you pointing out that comparisons have to be made under both circumstances. I was just trying to point out something positive about the fact we have more freedom than most of Europe now. I'm so sorry I didn't jump on the bandwagon of moaning every single day throughout the entire summer alongside you, I'm sure it would have done a lot to help the situation we were all in, though. I'll have to remember from the party line that everything about Ireland and everything COVID related going on in it must be framed only in a completely negative light.

Either way it's an exaggeration on your part to say we were under heavy restrictions during the summer, if we were then you think the same about most of the rest of Europe. Have a look for yourself, Irelands restrictions were nothing extraordinary from late June to late August
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?stackMode=absolute&time=2020-08-05&region=Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you expecting everyone who was complaining about us not being open like other countries during the summer to pick up that baton? Or are are you planning to call them out on it if they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are the daily briefings necessary if people are by and large going to ignore the numbers until January?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

prunudo wrote: »
    Anyone know whats driving the spike in numbers in Wicklow. 28 today isn't a good sign although hopefully its targeted testing and they're picking up cases that ordinarily might slip through the cracks.

Testing linked to Loughlinstown is what I've heard locally anyway. Family of staff etc. Varies day to day, was 5 cases yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

And I don't see the relevance of you pointing out that comparisons have to be made under both circumstances. I was just trying to point out something positive about the fact we have more freedom than most of Europe now. I'm so sorry I didn't jump on the bandwagon of moaning every single day throughout the entire summer alongside you.

Either way it's an exaggeration on your part to say we were under heavy restrictions during the summer, if we were then you think the same about most of the rest of Europe. Have a look for yourself, Irelands restrictions were nothing extradorindary during July and August
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?stackMode=absolute&time=2020-08-05&region=Europe

I didn't spend the Summer moaning either, I went away during the Summer and I'm well aware of the restrictions that were here at the time versus the destination I went to , as I said there is zero relevance comparing us to Spain now as their was no desire to do so 5/6 months ago.
    Anyway this is not the restrictions thread so I won't derail it further.

I didn't spend the Summer moaning either, I went away during the Summer and I'm well aware of the restrictions that were here at the time versus the destination I went to , as I said there is zero relevance comparing us to Spain now as their was no desire to do so 5/6 months ago.
    Anyway this is not the restrictions thread so I won't derail it further.

And pointing out the positive fact that we now live under far less limiting circumstances than some neighbouring countries is wrong in what way exactly? Alright, so either you love negative news or hate current reduction of restrictions being viewed in a positive light.Got it

I don't know where you went but if you looked at the website I provided you you'll then know it wasn't representative of what was going on in Europe over the summer to prevent spread of COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Vicxas wrote: »
    Are the daily briefings necessary if people are by and large going to ignore the numbers until January?
    Not sure where you're seeing daily briefings. The rest of us see 2 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not sure where you're seeing daily briefings. The rest of us see 2 a week.
    Tbf, you could watch repeats every day - it would be difficult to tell the difference most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the vaccines, will they all be available here?

I know I'd prefer to take the Oxford one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Spain has banned inter regional travel over the christmas period..could be a lot worse lads! I take it the Spanish government will not be messing around with that ban either and it would be enforced a lot more stringently than it would be here

Tony Holohans fault, or RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭prunudo

Testing linked to Loughlinstown is what I've heard locally anyway. Family of staff etc. Varies day to day, was 5 cases yesterday.

Okay, makes sense to be from some sort of cluster. As you say its fluctuating a lot from day to day. But it also shows how easy things can escalate with this virus. For weeks we were bottom of the table and in the space of a week were heading for the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Taoiseach has said at the Fianna Fail party meeting tonight that retail, gyms etc that closed during level 5 will possibly never close again.

Taoiseach has said at the Fianna Fail party meeting tonight that retail, gyms etc that closed during level 5 will possibly never close again.

Good to hear although if I was a retailer or gym owner it would not exactly instill much faith in my business future given that we were told there'd never be another lockdown and level 5 would only be used under dire circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Alot of posts today on various threads about different losses in their lives sonce this all began. So I decided to post this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think we'll have one last run of an increase of cases. Hopefully the vaccine gets out there faster and beats it.

The EU has multiple vaccine deals, including Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford and J&J. You probably won't have a choice of vaccine until much later in the year if ever, for now you'll take what your group is allocated (e.g. very vulnerable might be getting the 95% ones as a priority).

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I’d like to believe it but the past few months the slightest jitters and they lose their heads with NPHET undermining elected democratic government on Twitter and RTE.

• Advertisement

I see Leo too saying he expects widespread immunity in the population by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hmmm wrote: »
    I think we'll have one last run of an increase of cases. Hopefully the vaccine gets out there faster and beats it.

The EU has multiple vaccine deals, including Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford and J&J. You probably won't have a choice of vaccine until much later in the year if ever, for now you'll take what your group is allocated (e.g. very vulnerable might be getting the 95% ones as a priority).

Any idea how many weeks between doses for each vaccine? I was listening to Gabriel Scally on the radio and he says vaccines take couple of months to become effective which makes sense. It’s not an immediate silver bullet.

You would imagine that even after 1st dose the patient would be still not be fully protected until at least a few weeks after the 2nd dose.

Also I hear L O’Neill a week ago say the Oxford vaccine seems to block transmission as well as Lessing the effects of the disease compared to mRNA vaccine. Any comments on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Any idea how many weeks between doses for each vaccine? I was listening to Gabriel Scally on the radio and he says vaccines take couple of months to become effective which makes sense. It’s not an immediate silver bullet.

You would imagine that even after 1st dose the patient would be still not be fully protected until at least a few weeks after the 2nd dose.

Also I hear L O’Neill a week ago say the Oxford vaccine seems to block transmission as well as Lessing the effects of the disease compared to mRNA vaccine. Any comments on this?

The Pfizer one has two shots between 21 and 28 days apart. They seem to suggest any immunity is only after the second shot and when the body has itself developed antigens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mandrake04 wrote: »

Looks like Pfizer will be 2 shots 21 days apart, stimulates an immune response after shot 1, reaches its intend impact after shot 2. 7 days after shot 2 your considered vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Hardyn wrote: »
    I see Leo too saying he expects widespread immunity in the population by September.

These who will survive to September will not be affected by this stain of coronavirus, definately :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 2/12

As of 8pm, Covid cases hospitalised 233 (increase from 227)

Kilkenny 34 (increase from 21)
    Letterkenny 33
    Vincent’s 23
    Tallaght 22
    James 19
    Beaumont 18
    Mater 18

ICU confirmed cases 31 - no change in number
    Ventilated 21 - increase from 20
    1 death in ICU last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wait until Tony gets hold of that idea lol

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

majcos wrote: »
    ICU confirmed cases 31 - no change in number
    1 death in ICU last 24 hours.

Bloody stats. No change in number means 30 were released, 1 died and 31 admitted? Or 30 stay in critical state, one admission and one RIP? Or something in between these extremes?

majcos wrote: »
    Ventilated 21 - increase from 20
    +0.5 dead..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    On the vaccines, will they all be available here?

I know I'd prefer to take the Oxford one.

I doubt you'll be given a choice. They said tonight "that different vaccines are better suited to different people, depending on their age and other factors. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

eagle eye wrote: »

You never backed up your claims about serious damage being done to the economy and society. I'd guess you can't back it up with facts and figures is why you haven't responded.

I did and you ignored most the post and posted some ****e about spending more money to save the banks which had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to so with your need for facts about the impact of covid on he economy.

Doesnt matter how long you have posted here or the fact that you are 13 years posting you are coming across like the most self centred ignorant selfish poster.

You wont send your kids to school fine - their loss. Doesnt affect anyone but them. Their friends will move on and they will be left being the odd ones out when they go back eventually. And this will have a social impact on them.

You want the entire country shut down but say to hell with the 5km limit due to very personal circumstances because you feel like its stupid.

Can you not see how hypocritical that is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement