Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was responding to the money we've spent and owe. It was very relevant.

I'm self-centred because I posted an aside as regards my own situation? Some of you have no understanding of what a paragraph means.

You haven't a clue. I'd guess you don't have kids.

Not personal circumstance, I'm making a decision to stay safe.

Not at all, nothing hypocritical about my not abiding by a 5km rule in order to stay safer and wanting the lockdown to go on longer.

How is bailing banks relevant?

You are self centered because you think the lock downs have had no impact on the economy you're little bubble have not been affected.

I haven't a clue? How so?

I have 3 kids. Actually. 2 in primary and a toddler. All thriving and safe with as much social safe social interaction as possible while you wrap yours in cotton wool which will have its own impact down the road.

And actually while on the subject you still have not definitive proof of any any natural environment that is safe. Your school free house? Prove its safe. Definitively

An as for you going outside the 5km for what you deem safe. It is the utmost hypocritical thing to do when preaching to others about closing schools, businesses, the economy just because you are extremely risk adverse to a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

big syke wrote:
    An as for you going outside the 5km for what you deem safe. It is the utmost hypocritical thing to do when preaching to others about closing schools, businesses, the economy just because you are extremely risk adverse to a fault.
    I'm not going to bother with the rest of your post outside explaining that my point was we paid a lot of money back before, that we didn't owe, so this money isn't that much and it'll be paid back slowly because the whole of Europe is in the same boat. It still annoys me so much that we were robbed like that but that wasn't the point. The point was we've had to.pau back a lot more before.
    My whole goal is to avoid this virus. Going 8km to an inhabited area ensures that.
    Schools, restaurants, pubs etc. are the exact opposite of uninhabited.
    There's no hypocrisy there.
    If I was going somewhere with lots of people you could certainly call me a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I'm not going to bother with the rest of your post .

Why?

Even just address the below:

You still have not definitive proof of any any natural environment that is safe. Your school free house? Prove its safe. Definitively

big syke wrote:
    Why?
    Because it's like what I'd expect to be asked by a young argumentative teenager looking for any angle to be awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm not going to bother with the rest of your post outside explaining that my point was we paid a lot of money back before, that we didn't owe, so this money isn't that much and it'll be paid back slowly because the whole of Europe is in the same boat. It still annoys me so much that we were robbed like that but that wasn't the point. The point was we've had to.pau back a lot more before.
    My whole goal is to avoid this virus. Going 8km to an inhabited area ensures that.
    If I was going somewhere with lots of people you could certainly call me a hypocrite.

But you are a hypocrite , you have described others as idiots who don't abide by the restrictions yet you freely admit to breaking the restrictions yourself. The essence of hypocrisy.
    It's good though that people have finally seen you for what you clearly are. 'A self centered hypocrite'.
    Bye now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Now I get it. So the 5k restriction only applies to crowded areas. Funny, I dont recall seeing that mentioned in the current guidelines. But I'm probably just missing something

But you are a hypocrite , you have described others as idiots who don't abide by the restrictions yet you freely admit to breaking the restrictions yourself. The essence of hypocrisy.
    It's good though that people have finally seen you for what you clearly are. 'A self centered hypocrite'.
    Bye now.

When you can explain how walking my dogs in a remote uninhabited area is more dangerous than walking with them through a densely populated area you can call me a hypocrite.
    What you are doing here is taking any opportunity to insult and even try to be a bully boy.
    I'm strong enough and intelligent enough to stand up to it though whether that's online or in person. I abhor bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShyMets wrote: »
    Now I get it. So the 5k restriction only applies to crowded areas. Funny, I dont recall seeing that mentioned in the current guidelines. But I'm probably just missing something

And only applies to others apparently

When you can explain how walking my dogs in a remote uninhabited area is more dangerous than walking with them through a densely populated area you can call me a hypocrite.
    What you are doing here is taking any opportunity to insult and even try to be a bully boy.
    I'm strong enough and intelligent enough to stand up to it though whether that's online or in person. I abhor bullies.

You're willfully missing the point. When you call out others by breaking restrictions but freely admit to doing yourself then that's hypocritical.

You may not like that but its the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Walking your mutts 8km from your home is not an essential journey. The limit is 5km it's a restriction which you seem to think doesn't apply to you yet you are quick to call others idiots for ignoring restrictions. Pointing out your blatant hypocrisy is not bullying or a personal attack despite your claim that it is. As I said you are a self centered hypocrite as evidenced by your own admissions.
    Your dismissal of the hardship that others are facing from your posts yesterday also demonstrate you have zero empathy for others hence my contention you are self centered.
    Anyway I won't be responding to you further as it's pointless and unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Walking your mutts 8km from your home is not an essential journey. The limit is 5km it's a restriction which you seem to think doesn't apply to you yet you are quick to call others idiots for ignoring restrictions. Pointing out your blatant hypocrisy is not bullying or a personal attack despite your claim that it is. As I said you are a self centered hypocrite as evidenced by your own admissions. Your dismissal of the hardship that others are facing from your posts yesterday also demonstrate you have zero empathy for others hence my contention you are self centered. Anyway I won't be responding to you further as it's pointless and unnecessary.
    I call.out people breaking rules which risk the lives and good health of others.
    I don't do that so there's no hypocrisy.

It's clearly evident you are being deliberately fastidious as regards this 5km restriction to insult and attempt to bully.
    I care a lot more about people's health than wealth.
    I pity people who are struggling but I don't personally know anybody that is and I don't live in a bubble. The PUP helped anybody I know to stay afloat.

I call.out people breaking rules which risk the lives and good health of others.
    I don't do that so there's no hypocrisy.

It's clearly evident you are being deliberately fastidious as regards this 5km restriction to insult and attempt to bully.
    I care a lot more about people's health than wealth.
    I pity people who are struggling but I don't personally know anybody that is and I don't live in a bubble. The PUP helped anybody I know to stay afloat.

Do you work as a Groundsman by any chance. You've quite a talent for moving the goal posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

5yo woke up with a tickly throat and slight cough this morning, it's kinda weird when you hear stories about people who had mild symptoms and didnt request a test and isolate immediately, as there was definitely a little bit of "well, is this it or just a tiny cough or two?"

Erred on the side of caution, especially due to medical history, GP agreed and organised a test, of course she hasn't coughed once since 7am :rolleyes: But better to be safe than sorry, so kept her off school and wife and I are staying in until test this afternoon.

ShyMets wrote:
    Do you work as a Groundsman by any chance. You've quite a talent for moving the goal posts
    You can go back through these threads and I've admitted going 8km to walk my dogs since the beginning.
    I've held pretty much the same beliefs all through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

5yo woke up with a tickly throat and slight cough this morning, it's kinda weird when you hear stories about people who had mild symptoms and didnt request a test and isolate immediately, as there was definitely a little bit of "well, is this it or just a tiny cough or two?"

Erred on the side of caution, especially due to medical history, GP agreed and organised a test, of course she hasn't coughed once since 7am :rolleyes: But better to be safe than sorry, so kept her off school and wife and I are staying in until test this afternoon.

Hopefully it is nothing and that everything works out well in either case.

Thank you for being responsible and doing the right thing for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

You can go back through these threads and I've admitted going 8km to walk my dogs since the beginning.
    I've held pretty much the same beliefs all through.

Said it before about people, the lack of self awareness is astonishing :D

No one cares if you went for an 8km walk! No one cares if you go for a 100km walk! No one cares if you go and get sloshed at the weekend, whilst traveling abroad!

No one cares what you do and rightly so as it's none of their business.

However, people are pointing out that you are a hypocrite, as you constantly come on here, doing your best George Lee impression, looking down your nose at people who want restrictions eased and looking down your nose at people who you claim to dismiss the virus as nothing because it hasn't happened them or anyone they know, whilst all the while you're the one breaking restrictions and you were also the one yesterday who dismissed people's financial and occupational troubles because it hasn't happened you or anyone you know.

In all honesty, just take the loss and move on from the argument, pal

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

prunudo wrote: »
    Anyone know whats driving the spike in numbers in Wicklow. 28 today isn't a good sign although hopefully its targeted testing and they're picking up cases that ordinarily might slip through the cracks.

There are issues in schools in a good few places and they are driving wicklow and louth numbers

MOR316 wrote:
    However, people are pointing out that you are a hypocrite, as you constantly come on here, doing your best George Lee impression, looking down your nose at people who want restrictions eased and looking down your nose at people who you claim to dismiss the virus as nothing because it hasn't happened them or anyone they know, whilst all the while you're the one breaking restrictions and you were also the one yesterday who dismissed people's financial and occupational troubles because it has happened you or anyone you know.

Please quote the post where I dismissed people's financial troubles.
    Saying that I don't know anybody personally struggling isn't dismissing it. I'm just not sure there's too many. I'm trying to remember the figure, I think it's 60% but it could be higher, of all houses purchased in this country in 2019 were cash buyers. That suggests that a lot of people have big savings.
    I don't watch Irish television so besides references in this thread I know nothing about George Lee.
    I don't think I've ever used the if it hasn't happened to you line, maybe I have but I don't remember.

Yes I do criticise those who break restrictions which endanger others. I haven't broken any restriction which would endanger anybody.
    I don't and have never looked down my nose at anybody. I'm pro lockdown for the national health, to keep.our hospital numbers down and people alive and healthy. I was in favour of the level 5 continuing for another two weeks to ensure we have a good Christmas. I'm not so sure we will now.
    I'm also pro-vaccine and I'll be getting it as soon as I can. I want the Oxford one btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Bye now.

While I don't agree with the OP and his view point, I definitely don't agree with the relish with which some here have been on the attack since last night about this .
    It is ruining the thread for everyone else and is very unpleasant and uncomfortable .
    No one here is a saint nor do we all agree but let's not descend to this level of harassment that is seen on some other threads , please .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

is_that_so wrote: »
    The mask restrictions on the plane and now testing regimes at both ends will mitigate that. When we had "huge" numbers flying in, in the summer they accounted for about 3% of cases. The vast majority of cases are other behaviours.

Hasn't every case we've had been a result of it being flown in?

The issue with travel is not the numbers of sick people that fly in, it's the reseeding of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »
    The mask restrictions on the plane and now testing regimes at both ends will mitigate that. When we had "huge" numbers flying in, in the summer they accounted for about 3% of cases. The vast majority of cases are other behaviours.

This is like claiming you only knocked over one domino, after they have all fallen.

Something like 60% the recent peak are from a type that was only present in Spain in the summer.

If we hadn't seeded it by travelling to Spain the "other behavours" would have resulted in zero subsequent cases.

But, everybody knows this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Goldengirl wrote: »
    While I don't agree with the OP and his view point, I definitely don't agree with the relish with which some here have been on the attack since last night about this .
    It is ruining the thread for everyone else and is very unpleasant and uncomfortable .
    No one here is a saint nor do we all agree but let's not descend to this level of harassment that is seen on some other threads , please .

Harassment on an anonymous internet site is a bit strong,i'm sure he is well able to take it.In my opinion the reason that Eagle has attracted the amount of criticism is how exasperating he has become in his many posts.When questioned he tends not to answer or deflects.Idiots is a word he throws out a lot when he feels people are not abiding with restrictions, pot kettle black.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

speckle wrote: »
    Anyone here from Donegal that would like to tell us what the building is like on the inside... how old... how laid out... windows...what ventillation like... is it cramped... room for proper isolation areas... enough staff normally etc.?

Its half old, half new. The old half of the hospital is very stuffy, new half better with more private rooms. A and e is always a nightmare I've waited over 12 hours in it at times due to a shortage of drs, back in January I was told by an a and e nurse after waiting 8 hours for the dr to decide what to do with me that there were only 3 drs on duty.
    It seems to be very badly run, case in point the fact that they only started mass testing now when the outbreak started in early November. I know 3 people who've been infected there since early November who then infected their families on discharge, 1 died. It's an utter shambles basically and has been as long as I remember

lukas8888 wrote:
    Harassment on an anonymous internet site is a bit strong,i'm sure he is well able to take it.In my opinion the reason that Eagle has attracted the amount of criticism is how exasperating he has become in his many posts.When questioned he tends not to answer or deflects.Idiots is a word he throws out a lot when he feels people are not abiding with restrictions, pot kettle black.

I don't call posters names though. You are calling me an idiot right here.

I don't call posters names though. You are calling me an idiot right here.

Read the post again. He's very clearly not calling you an Idiot. He states that you use the word idiot to describe people you break restrictions.

Please stop playing the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Thank christ i've been told not to respond :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Slow news day lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Moragle wrote: »
    Its half old, half new. The old half of the hospital is very stuffy, new half better with more private rooms. A and e is always a nightmare I've waited over 12 hours in it at times due to a shortage of drs, back in January I was told by an a and e nurse after waiting 8 hours for the dr to decide what to do with me that there were only 3 drs on duty.
    It seems to be very badly run, case in point the fact that they only started mass testing now when the outbreak started in early November. I know 3 people who've been infected there since early November who then infected their families on discharge, 1 died. It's an utter shambles basically and has been as long as I remember

That’s pretty shocking. Those 3 people get counted as hospital acquired but presuming there families have more than one other person means that if you look at the origin of cases they are minority. Hey the others wouldn’t have happened had they not got infected.

Allows people to say things like “only x % occurring in x setting . The real problem is households” because the vast majority of infection occurs there where people can’t escape their family.

Same arguments used with travel and schools. Seems we prefer to ignore the origin or the root cause and prefer to blame people for living together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The importance of mass testing. Very disappointing we havent scaled this up over 12,000 a day

https://twitter.com/StfnFlsch/status/1334498853526130688

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Moragle wrote: »

my condolences to your friends family member. That is a shame they are only mass testing now a month later... were they not even regurailly testing staff? Maybe they have a lack of in house testing personel in the lab. A pity the couldnt borrow some staff from some of the less effected hospitals etc in other countys. Hope they have enough room to divide a and e into covid and non covid and are making good use of the private rooms and are able to borrow already immune staff from elsewhere. opening windows werever it does not impact on patients who need a particular temperature and making sure that vit D and C gets to patients who need it before they are potentially exposed etc.
    keep the chin up Donegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement