Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Stark warning from Philip Nolan.

If R number goes to 2 over Christmas... we could see 800-1,200 cases per day by mid-January.

Holohan says modelling data is what could happen. “We’re not trying to scare people... we’re implying very small changes to R number that we had before we went to Level 5.”

Not trying to scare people lol

Yeah right of course they are

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

George Lee is now asking a question, but it actually seems like he's making a speech.

George Lee: "We're back in a situation as we were in early October. I'm not comfortable at all with the numbers". Without even posing a question, just to be particularly agreeable to Tony.

What a defiantly miserable imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Things really deteriorating in the United States. Record cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

They could break 3,000 deaths for today.

It's the main population centers leading the resurgence now again.

Americans don't care about the loss of life there, I wouldn't expect Irish people to start caring about their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just had a quick glance at this evening's press conference and Six One, the usual sh*t with Nolan talking about a graph that we can't see.

George Lee jizzing himself over how worried the CMO is and about a "computer glitch" which has caused cases to be underreported. Really? Or did someone make a balls of an excel spreadsheet?

I wonder how many other computer glitches there have been during this.

Some mention of an issue with PPS number for vaccine rollout? Not sure as I wasn't paying much attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Here comes George Lee, imagine having to put up with a profit of doom 24/7, though maybe his wife is immune to his negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

About time the doom and gloom bollix George Lee is left outside for these press briefings.

George Lee: "We're back in a situation as we were in early October. I'm not comfortable at all with the numbers". Without even posing a question, just to be particularly agreeable to Tony.

Pity George doesn't stay home and hide away for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Pity George doesn't stay home and hide away for a while

George lee lives for bad news, economy, weather etc

If he said that, then he's editorialising. His job isn't to feel comfortable or not comfortable.

These kinds of comments journalists makes, on air and on Twitter, just rub people up the wrong way.

Journalists aren't there to advise how people should live, they are there to report the information and hold those in power to account.

• Advertisement

George lee lives for bad news, economy, weather etc

Can't argue with that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Stark warning from Philip Nolan.

If R number goes to 2 over Christmas... we could see 800-1,200 cases per day by mid-January.

Holohan says modelling data is what could happen. “We’re not trying to scare people... we’re implying very small changes to R number that we had before we went to Level 5.”

Not trying to scare people lol

Yeah right of course they are

You view it as scaring people.

I view it as them being frank with people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure if you go to a restaurant and get infected and are asymptomatic how many people could you pass it on to before it's gone out of your system.
    Tony is stupid to advise caution so we can all have a good Christmas.

How will someone going to a restaurant affect what kind of Christmas you have?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How in hell do we have IT issues at this stage?

Disappointing

Links between different IT systems can always fall down.
    As a software developer, I can say that I'm happy that any of it works at all!

It's going to be interesting to see if people will avoid restaurants etc now given the comments. Shops and streets packed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think it's a bit of rubbish reporting the numbers for today, and then saying that they are wrong because of a computer glitch. Would they not have been better just saying that because there was a computer glitch, we can't report numbers for today? I hate this 'here are the numbers, but they're wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Arghus wrote: »
    Do you really honestly believe that Tony Holohan's main motivation is to needlessly destroy people's enjoyment?

You’re trying to bringing logic to a thread like this ?? :D

You view it as scaring people.

I view it as them being frank with people

Seeing as their worst case scenario modelling predictions have been far off the mark previously I don't think it's being frank with people but fair enough that's your viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Being frank (and honest) would be telling people that they haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen in the coming weeks, because they don’t. They model, it’s an estimation. Could be no increase, could be a decrease, could have 1000 cases per day, nobody actually knows.

Seeing as their worst case scenario modelling predictions have been far off the mark previously I don't think it's being frank with people but fair enough that's your viewpoint

Are you sure you're not mistaking projections based on certain criteria with forecasts? Because they are very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Today's number is between 180 and 280, not too bad either way.

Being frank (and honest) would be telling people that they haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen in the coming weeks, because they don’t. They model, it’s an estimation. Could be no increase, could be a decrease, could have 1000 cases per day, nobody actually knows.

They did say that - these are things that could happen, not something that will happen. Holohan said those exact literal words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you not realise that worse case scenarios are just that. The clue's in the term.
    Any preventative actions alter those predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Tony Holohan pretty much said that word for word as it happens.

I think we have been well served by the NPHET team, I don't understand the hostility towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of rubbish reporting the numbers for today, and then saying that they are wrong because of a computer glitch. Would they not have been better just saying that because there was a computer glitch, we can't report numbers for today? I hate this 'here are the numbers, but they're wrong'.

Maybe, but then we'd have 0 cases today and x hundred tomorrow - people would go crazy. Now it's slightly less wrong if they're missing 1/3 of the cases. Worst case scenario would have been not to mention the "glitch" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

They did say that - these are things that could happen, not something that will happen. Holohan said those exact literal words.

Sound like something out of a Christmas Carol

I don't know really what people would rather they said instead to be honest. They have to keep banging that drum.

"Go for it lads, meet as many people as you can."

I don't think their predictions re numbers are all that ridiculous to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think we have been well served by the NPHET team, I don't understand the hostility towards them.

Because they are pretty pointless at this stage, only advice is lock down everything or thousands will die. Do we really need a team of experts to tell us the same advice over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Some families of nursing home residents and healthcare workers would disagree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement