Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

9?! seems low?

I'd like to see how many they can store, what expected turnover is and location ie determine if you just had those 9 how many jabs you can give out each week

The freezers are only needed for the Pfizer vaccine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Plus why would we want to store large quantities of vaccine in Citywest? It should be deployed to distribution centres and into peoples upper arms as soon as it arrives

(and yes I have taken into account the possibility of Pfizer sending us large quantities before approval - but given what we’ve learned to date it doesn’t appear as if this will be an issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,307 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The freezers are only needed for the Pfizer vaccine.
    I think they'll be needed for all mRNA vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think they'll be needed for all mRNA vaccines.

Moderna can be kept in a normal freezer at -20

Moderna doesn't need ultra-low frozen storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

He might lose them like the unaccounted flu vaccines story a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

9?! seems low?

I'd like to see how many they can store, what expected turnover is and location ie determine if you just had those 9 how many jabs you can give out each week

You should apply for a job with the vaccine team so.

marno21 wrote: »
    Plus why would we want to store large quantities of vaccine in Citywest? It should be deployed to distribution centres and into peoples upper arms as soon as it arrives

(and yes I have taken into account the possibility of Pfizer sending us large quantities before approval - but given what we’ve learned to date it doesn’t appear as if this will be an issue)
    National Cold Chain Service is headquartered in CityWest. All vaccines in the country are distributed from there.
    United Drug operate it on behalf of the HSE.

https://www.united-drug.com/distribution/ - bottom of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

boggerman1 wrote: »
    He might lose them like the unaccounted flu vaccines story a couple of weeks ago

The unaccounted flu vaccine story that was quickly disproved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we're aiming for 30k vaccines a day how long we looking for the entire population? Im no good at maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Vicxas wrote: »
    If we're aiming for 30k vaccines a day how long we looking for the entire population? Im no good at maths

The bones of a million in a month if working 7 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Circa 8 months @ 5 days a week.

2 doses per head, adult population of 4 million, so 8 million vaccines. 266 days.
    Vaccine delivery will have to be 7 days a week. Once pharmacies and GPs are involved, you could up the numbers massively.

There's no room for days off with the vaccine rollout. I'm guessing it'll run 7 days a week, the same as swabbing.

But there’s no chance of us getting that much supply so quickly, surely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

72sheep wrote: »
    HSE reports provide Covid data for # deaths, # cases and CFR % (and then cohort breakouts). But:
    # deaths is over-counted - as Covid is denoted as cause of death even if you are hit by a bus while infected
    # cases is under-counted - as we don't have comprehensive nationwide testing
    # reporting CFR in this scenario is, at best, an insult to our intelligence
    HSE report should be explaining the reasoning behind any data distortions.

The data for # hospital/ICU admissions (and deaths) is also meaningless without a comparison against previous non-Covid years/periods - especially given those counting inaccuracies above. This should be compelling evidence but it's not provided in their report and there's no explanation as to why it is not relevant.

Somehow though people are just blindly cheering along the HSE "scores" same they would for a local sports team.
    What data would you provide people with, 72sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

https://mobile.twitter.com/simondolan?prefetchtimestamp=1607087658589

What's the point in taking the vaccine if nothing changes?

Stop paying the TV licence is the more appropriate reponse. I've gotten 3 to 4 notices in the post since the first lockdown. All straight in the bin. A personal protest against RTE and their failure to indicate with news stories whether there was covid awareness funding provided in order to fund a news piece.
    Did you tell RTÉ about your protest?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

National Cold Chain Service is headquartered in CityWest. All vaccines in the country are distributed from there.
    United Drug operate it on behalf of the HSE.

https://www.united-drug.com/distribution/ - bottom of the page

Indeed - but what I meant is we shouldn't have a requirement to store large quantities of vaccine in a warehouse e.g. as soon as the vaccine shipments arrive they should be deployed into the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mimon wrote: »
    Where's that poster who was moaning that we would not be able to distribute it effectively here?

They bought a few feeezers :pac:

Long way to go

• Advertisement

Initially, no. But as everything scales up and further vaccines are licensed it will ramp up. Hopefully Moderna and Oxford will become available in February/March and one or two more by April/May.

Personally, what I'd hope for is everybody who wants one to have it by the end of August. Then at least you can get college students back to normal, and mass gatherings can (tentatively) resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have 2 chest freezers in the shed that I am willing to sell to the HSE. They come fully packed with Brennans and toilet paper.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

bush wrote:
    They bought a few feeezers
    I wonder if they bought them in China? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Caraibh wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/simondolan?prefetchtimestamp=1607087658589

What's the point in taking the vaccine if nothing changes?

Mod:

Threadbanned for spamming the same message across three separate threads

The first batch of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines has arrived in Northern Ireland.

The first batch of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines has arrived in Northern Ireland.
    Hopefully will eventually help finally calm things down in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

We don't need full coverage to open up to maybe level 1. With (I'm speculating) 20% coverage (1 million people) vaccinated, this should include the elderly, vulnerable and HCW's, mortality figures should fall off a cliff at that point and there will be no appetite politically for level 3.

Most people have been very patient and compliant because they believed we had to do this until a vaccine was found, there will be serious unrest if now that we have one we still can't open up.

OwenM wrote:
    We don't need full coverage to open up to maybe level 1. With (I'm speculating) 20% coverage (1 million people) vaccinated, this should include the elderly, vulnerable and HCW's, mortality figures should fall off a cliff at that point and there will be no appetite politically for level 3.
    You'll still need to wear masks, wash hands and social distance though.
    There's no proof yet that you can't be a carrier of the virus and spread it even when vaccinated.
    I'm shocked by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

277 swabs from 11,856 tests. 2.3% positivity.

Given the tech issues and the variance lately difficult to tell what cases might be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'll still need to wear masks, wash hands and social distance though.
    There's no proof yet that you can't be a carrier of the virus and spread it even when vaccinated.
    I'm shocked by that.

There is no proof yet that you can either? The testing was very focused on making sure the person with the vaccine is protected...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement