Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Why is Tómas Ryan on Six One? He's not even a virologist, immunologist, anything related to Covid. He's a neuroscientist. We only hear from those who fearmongerer on a daily basis. Mooting Restrictions being brought back before restrictions are even lifted.

Ego driven lad that gets far too much air time. RTÉ have been ridiculously poor throughout this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Cork2021 wrote: »
    There was 24 hospitalisations on the last 24 hours. I’d wish they’d start telling us the ages. I’d assume it’s from community hospitals and care homes
    I would not assume that. Numbers in each age bracket for those admitted given in 14 day epidemiology reports.

Of the 304 hospitalised in the last two weeks, 41% are under 65. In those over 65, not all are in community hospitals and nursing homes. Many Covid positive cases in community hospitals and nursing homes are cared for in those locations by GPs and nurses rather than admitted. Nursing homes and community hospitals can provide oxygen etc. Many of those over 65 admissions come from home rather than residential settings.

0-4 year 3
    5-14 yrs 1
    15-24 yrs 16
    25-34 yrs 17
    35-44 yrs 23
    45-54 yrs 32
    55-64 yrs 32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

In the terms of controling the virus I think was a decent success while having schools open. From a 7 day average of 1176 cases per day to now 261. Hospital, ICU admissions and deaths thankfully didn't reach the levels of March, April and touch wood it stays that way for the months ahead.

We're doing fantastically well compared to most of Europe. Italy deaths close to March levels again, Spain, France, not far behind.Poland in a mess now as well. How those countries would like to be in our position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's a major success. That's an incredible drop in 7 day average.

It is. In hindsight we locked down at the correct time - I know we all thought it was too early but our second wave has been fraction of what the rest of Europe has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is another lockdown in January really likely? If so, how long would it be predicted to last?

There doesnt have to be a lockdown but unfortunately there will most likely be as people lose the run of themselves over Christmas and ignore all the advice, once you open up cases go up and if it goes up to what it was before only thing will bring it down is a lockdown

Shin

• Advertisement

It is. In hindsight we locked down at the correct time - I know we all thought it was too early but our second wave has been fraction of what the rest of Europe has had.

I don't know how some of Europe have let things deteriorate so much. Croatia a country of 4 million people are at 4,000 cases a day and 50+ daily deaths. No sign of it easing yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was too soon for Level 5, NPHET belatedly acknowledged the effect of Level 3, but we never at any point got back to the normal the rest of Europe did in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HUB data partially updated.
    GOV.IE still has yesterdays numbers for todays report on hospitals cases ages etc. County at the end, they do have the correct increase just haven't bothered to add it onto to the total :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is another lockdown in January really likely? If so, how long would it be predicted to last?

Depends on 2 things.

1. Vaccine
    Im not expecting massive numbers vaccinated but if 100,000 get their vaccines by the middle of January (second dose) it will mean a massive relief for the hospitals and massively reduce death numbers. If so we can probably get away with a somewhat shorter lockdown. We might be getting 1,000 cases a day but if the nursing homes are safe we can keep the deaths lower.

2. Behavior
    I've come around to the view that behaviour is far more important than restrictions. Case numbers will go up over the next few weeks. Especially at Christmas. The amount of the rise will depend on behaviour. If its limited lockdown 3 can be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's a major success.
    So job well done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'm all for trying to keep this thing under control but from what I can understand of your post your argument comes across at lot like "I'm going to ignore the guidelines that inconvenience me so the government should impose stricter ones that don't inconvenience me (as I'm going to avoid hospitality either ways)"

My point was more that, the majority of folks will ignore the household rules, so keeping hospitality closed would certainly help reduce the potential impact of the massive amount of household mixing...

Also Nephet had recommended keeping hospitality closed while allowing larger household gatherings over Xmas

I have adhered to all the current and historical guidelines, and I'll be avoiding hospitality environments to reduce the impact of mixing of households at Xmas.. I have kept my contacts to a bear minimum for a number of months at this stage...

Only leave the house for work, and once a week for grocery shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

blade1 wrote: »
    So job well done?

7 day avg of 1176 was on the 21/10/2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

wadacrack wrote: »
    27 in Wicklow, must be linked to a workplace/school or some gathering

Bet you it's Bray. It's always Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was too soon for Level 5, NPHET belatedly acknowledged the effect of Level 3, but we never at any point got back to the normal the rest of Europe did in the summer.

This is true, but we did manage to keep the economy moving. Albeit at a lower level, but certainly not to the point that some alluded to, i.e. not damaged enough to be unable to fund the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I was presuming there must be a breaking point somewhere (even for the whole Eurozone / ECB) but as said I really don't have any idea where that is. Maybe it would take years of it.

The European governments go into debt to pay people (or businesses - which comprise people!) to do nothing/very little.
    It is the opposite of normal government spending as the government wants them to stop doing what they usually do to control spread of the virus.

There is extra expenditure by governments on the health services, but alot of that will flow out to US/Asia to pay for PPE, medical equipment etc. The ECB buys that govt. debt and can print Euros to do that.

Am I understanding this correctly in a rough/inexact way (as a layman speaking)? It sort of bends my noodle to be honest but I can't see how it can continue "indefinitely".

Ok maybe indefinitely is overstating it. I’m not an economist either but if all the EU countries are in it together I can certainly see COVID related finance being ringfenced in some way. A bit like mutually assure destruction, the Euro countries won’t let their currency fail for a virus, they didn’t during an actual financial collapse 10 years ago. When it’s in everyone’s interest to come up with a solution that’s what will happen I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    My point was more that, the majority of folks will ignore the household rules, so keeping hospitality closed would certainly help reduce the potential impact of the massive amount of household mixing...

Also Nephet had recommended keeping hospitality closed while allowing larger household gatherings over Xmas

I have adhered to all the current and historical guidelines, and I'll be avoiding hospitality environments to reduce the impact of mixing of households at Xmas.. I have kept my contacts to a bear minimum for a number of months at this stage...

Only leave the house for work, and once a week for grocery shopping

You are only looking at your circumstances though

There are plenty of people who will not be mixing with other households in their houses, but who might like to go for a meal or some drinks with their housematrs

Myself and my Oh will have no on visiting our house and nor will we be visiting others (ohs daughter is staying home as she is caring for a vulnerable person, I am not visiting my parents as I've seven other siblings who will all visit both my parents and each other, so I think that's too much of a risk)

I would however like to get out during the day for coffee with the Oh to get a break from work, to go for a meal or two with him, and to meet his son for dinner

So different strokes for different folks

You will get those in the middle who will both go out socially and have gatherings at home

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

High numbers today as we are easing restrictions. Dont see how a big increase in numbers can be avoided in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Chicke wrote: »
    High numbers today as we are easing restrictions. Dont see how a big increase in numbers can be avoided in the coming weeks.

It takes 2-3 weeks to see the effects of increasing or decreasing restrictions

Why do people STILL not understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Wow! Think you should have stayed in the cupboard.

Stheno wrote: »

Think they mean we're starting from a comparatively high level, so when we do see the increase in two to three weeks it may be sharper.

• Advertisement

Think they mean we're starting from a comparatively high level, so when we do see the increase in two to three weeks it may be sharper.

I think its expected that the effects of the past two.wweks will influence cases staying as is or lowering further for another too weeks though?

I think its expected that the effects of the past two.wweks will influence cases staying as is or lowering further for another too weeks though?

True, the reduction has been slowing down a little, but we've seen a 1.2% reduction in 7-day positivity rate (3.9% -> 2.7%) in the last 3 weeks, albeit interrupted by a couple of days growth in the middle, so it would be nice to see it continue that trend and see us at least under 2% around the 18-20 Dec. Hard to predict what happens beyond that, but it is likely to be growth with the re-introduction of house visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Every cripple has his own way of walking, and I say that as someone with a relative with Cerebral Palsy. We do what we can when we can.

Not everyone is a hermit, not everyone is a mad jollier dying for the pubs to open, not everyone WANTS to be free and easy and break all the rules just because...

Those with vulnerable family have to be cautious, it is what it is and is a responsible, if bloody boring way to do things for the moment for a lot of people.

But I hope everyone has a good Christmas. Plan it out and enjoy it best you can, it was never going to be "normal" now was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

1. The numbers today weren't "high"
    2. Restrictions haven't been eased yet
    3. Any potential increase in cases wouldn't happen for a couple of weeks after the lifting of restrictions

Have people been living under a rock since March or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

El Sueño wrote: »
    1. The numbers today weren't "high"
    2. Restrictions haven't been eased yet
    3. Any potential increase in cases wouldn't happen for a couple of weeks after the lifting of restrictions

Have people been living under a rock since March or what?
    It's called ignorance, pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe they don't live their lives on the thread like the rest of us and aren't au fait with every facet of epidemiology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

We will see a massive increase after mid January. Going to be grim.

Very high disappointing numbers yet again. Had hoped for well below 100 by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Because they don’t want to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Asia finding containment challenging now in the winter

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1333160577552748555

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

wadacrack wrote: »
    Asia finding containment challenging now in the winter

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1333160577552748555

Flare ups in SK, Japan etc get so much coverage considering the scale. There's literally about a dozen people dying in both countries combined at most daily. And they're big countries. It is a fraction of anything the West has seen and I seriously doubt it will ever ever get to the level it has been allowed to here. There's more people dying daily in Europe's tiniest countries like Slovenia than South Korea has seen in the last month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement