Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting & distributing Saorview question

Options
  • 28-11-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have a newish (as of digital switchover) UHF aerial on the roof that enters the attic and is then passed into an amplifier and then to a 3 way splitter. From there the outputs are
    1. To a diplexer which mixes terrestrial and satellite; output to main bedroom, unsplit at destination.
    2. Unused coax to another bedroom (disconnected atm)
    3. To living room, where a Y coax splitter feeds TV and USB tuner in Kodi PC

Recently I have been having trouble with the signal in the living room (image breaking up, no signal, no programme data on Kodi EPG), though either TV or Kodi box are fine if signal is not split.

The arrangement above has worked ok for some years, I have no idea why it's seemingly suddenly become unreliable. However, it seems it's the Y connector splitting the cable. If I pick it up and wiggle it I get a good signal for a bit, that might last a few seconds or quite a long time, perhaps until the splitter is touched, even slightly.

I taped the cables to the Y splitter long ago so may have had some similar issue with it initially; can't remember now (maybe the connectors just weren't very tight).

I've got a spare F cable splitter (1 in, 2 out; 5-1000MHz) with F connectors on the cables. If I put ordinary coax connectors on the ends of the cables would this make a better splitter?

Advice welcome. Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement