Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The uselessness of the gardai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Augeo wrote: »
    They were thick going in, I'm not thinking they are thick for not progressing.
    Most able folk progress in their careers BTW.

What do you mean by progress?

It's a complety nonsense statement if you mean move up the career ladder....as the career ladder is a pyramid with less positions at the top than the bottom. Not everyone can 'progress' even of they wanted to.......especially within certain careers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Blondini wrote: »
    I must say I was amazed recently that there were suddenly 6 gardai available for 12 hours a day to man a checkpoint to wave everyone through anyway.

At the same time, there's lots of anecdotes regarding unavailability for dealing with vandalism, antisocial behaviour and burglaries.

Thats because they are on O/T... cash pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

He's improved things greatly since he took over.

He's in the process anyway - making some pretty sweeping changes. Whether he'll be let finish the job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's a civil matter is the 100% response to any enquiries for help from them in my experience
    Even when its an ecumenical matter!

afro man wrote: »

Any more made up stories for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Edgware wrote: »

Sorry edgeware were you there when it happened.. sounds crazy but it true unfortunately as fas as I know complaint is being lodged about incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Edgware wrote: »

I know someone that happened to. 100% true. Met the wrong guard at the wrong time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I was flying my helicopter near the Cyberdine HQ when some pig drove his motorbike out through a plate glass window leapt off it midair grabbed onto my chopper headbutted the windshield before turning into a silvery blob that pours in the hole into the front seat and after he reformed said "Get out!" After I jumped clead he flew away! Cheek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes, they make themselves available when there's a sniff of handy overtime.

I know 4 members of AGS, folk who went into it for the pension or as their primary/initial career was falling on hard times or they were thick.... Car sales, IT, vandriver & worked in a bookies.

IT guy was thick and couldn't get decent IT work. Car sales guy was out of work, vandriver fancied the pension and bookies worker fancied it for better wages etc, she was into horses but wages woeful at that.

Three of them have haven't progressed in their 10/15 years in AGS.... Vandriver lad does plain clothes work but he isn't a detective.

You'd make a good detective.

proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Muppet Man wrote: »

They are hugely under resourced in terms of equipment, IT and headcount, so it does make their job a lot harder.

According to them they are under resourced, they are known for making stuff up, several justice ministers have called them out on stuff like that - they usually just want more money

They are free to take it up with their trade union ( sorry "association") anyway

They have several garda stations in Dublin 1 yet refuse to protect civilians from criminals in known hotspots

When there are hundreds of Gardaí they don't even make arrests, adding 100s more will not change that

They only appear in Dublin when there are tv cameras, Covid restrictions or young ones wanting photos at Electric Picnic

They are great at threatening law abiding people with court though, as long as they can avoid the scummers i.e. doing
    their job

Furthermore, those who complain about the swinging door court system must remember the Gardaí are happy to serve these wigs and suits, and most frontline police work doesn't necessarily involve convictions years later - they are still tasked with policing the streets and protecting the peace, not hiding in their stations

On another note, does anyone remember a few years ago they went on strike and nobody actually noticed.

Says it all really

I was flying my helicopter near the Cyberdine HQ when some pig drove his motorbike out through a plate glass window leapt off it midair grabbed onto my chopper headbutted the windshield before turning into a silvery blob that pours in the hole into the front seat and after he reformed said "Get out!" After I jumped clead he flew away! Cheek!

Cool detectives with Hollywood Special FX.

Must follow thread so!

They were thick going in, I'm not thinking they are thick for not progressing.
    Most able folk progress in their careers BTW.

So a van driver got a more secure and better paid job

An IT tech who hada degree went into an industry where he could utilise his degree in IT with job security

A lad that sold cars but during a recession when he was out of work got a well paid career in a secure industry

Yep, sounds like the actions of idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

#Thingsthatdidnthappen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

a van driver

An IT tech who hada degree

A lad that sold cars during a recession

Agree, all 3 were over qualified for the Gardaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They have gone massively down in my estimation over the last few months. And I was a big supporter of the Gardai. Covid Checkpoints, showing up at shops to check if they are selling clothes and then patting themselves on the back on social media for doing so.

They'll go after the easy targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

I'm unsure why I'm bothering but I'll try anyway.

A, the courts are filled every single day with people on charges of murder, assault, rape, robbery, theft, public order and drugs. Gardai are catching these people.

B, This isn't TV. Police work takes a lot of hours for even the most basic of crimes. Police files when needed, are long and time consuming.

C, the Garda at the counter is the one that will investigate the complaint. They will also have to investigate the many other complaints they get that day. Tomorrow they will be in the car responding to more complaints. On day 3 they will be sent to do beat patrol and maybe on day 4 will get a chance to do some investigating, maybe. On the counter, to don't get to do any other work. In the car to can be going from call to call.

D, that car is probably the only one in the entire area. Sometimes there's not enough Gardai working to even have 2 in the car. If they arrest someone at the start of the shift, that's it. No more car to respond to calls until they are finished and that might be the whole shift.

E, civil matters. Dunno how that's the fault of the Gardai that yo are trying to make a criminal complaint about something that's civil.

F, obtaining cctv yourself. Folks, you just killed the case right there. This isn't tv, father brown can't investigate crimes. Continuity of evidence and data protection both at play. A witness can't view CCTV and Gardai just be able to give evidence regarding the seizing of footage.

G, last week 30 out of 51 water rescue awards given out went to Gardai. They are evidently out there.

H, O'Connell street in Dublin. There's Gardai but they don't have the numbers to always be everywhere and it's not actually a crime to be a junkie or look like one or generally being a smelly drain on society. This isn't Nazi Germany. That's something up should raise with your local td.

I, there's corrupt and lazy Gardai. Despite popular opinion usually based on TV and the internet, there's no code of silence. Gardai don't like working with useless Gardai. They are the supposed backup remember. Corruption? Of course Gardai don't want to work with Criminal Gardai who are working with the enemy. Gardai have and continue to be threatened off duty ffs.

J, Gardai live in the community, work on the community, have family and friends in the community. they raise their children in the same community as you. They are well aware and have an interest in the community. Don't you think they would like to get the scumbags out of the community? Course they would.

K, training is far from perfect. More and more practical training is being lost and replaced with pr / pc initiatives. Sometimes knowledge is lacking, it's true. Happens to us all I think though from time to time. No one knows everything especially when upskilling / refreshing is Bob existent.

L, bikes. Store street and pearse street currently have hundreds of recovered bikes in their yards that can't be matched with owners. 'my bike, it's blue' isn't good enough.

There's other comments that I don't think merit a reply at all but do since research. The Garda budget in comparison to the gdp of the nation is below most countries. The Garda fleet of cars, etc is well below. The manpower not just in pure officer numbers but support staff is way down.

Hungary, twice size and population, more than four times the police.

Spain, 10 times the population but 15 times the police numbers including support staff.

I could go on and on and on. Nypd, met, psni, France...........

You want a genuine police force? You need 20k Gardai plus another 3k support staff. You need to seriously upgrade stations and cells. Invest heavily in the it systems and Garda cars, bikes and air support. Then plough into training so that there's enough Gardai trained in the systems they are supposed to use. You need to free up Gardai from passports, court, prosecutions and uniform response should actually be response. Separate investigation people because the sap in the uniform can't do everything.

Oh and very more prisons. Imagine if the criminal caught today couldn't actually commit the same crime tomorrow? The knock on effects would be worth the investment.

Now, continue on. I'm sure plenty will tell me im wrong because if this and that.

Edit to add: yeah autocorrect has messed up my comment. 'to' is 'you' and so on....

M: just because the crime you reported wasn't solved doesn't mean it wasn't investigated . I get the impression people think if nobody was caught for what they reported that the guards effectively did nothing

According to them they are under resourced, they are known for making stuff up, several justice ministers have called them out on stuff like that - they usually just want more money

They are free to take it up with their trade union ( sorry "association") anyway

They have several garda stations in Dublin 1 yet refuse to protect civilians from criminals in known hotspots

When there are hundreds of Gardaí they don't even make arrests, adding 100s more will not change that

They only appear in Dublin when there are tv cameras, Covid restrictions or young ones wanting photos at Electric Picnic

They are great at threatening law abiding people with court though, as long as they can avoid the scummers i.e. doing
    their job

Furthermore, those who complain about the swinging door court system must remember the Gardaí are happy to serve these wigs and suits, and most frontline policecwork doesn't necessarily involve convictions years later - they are still tasked with policihg the streets and protecting the peace, not hiding in their stations

On another note, does anyone remember a few years ago they went on strike and nobody actually noticed.

Says it all really

Wow, its hard to imagine someone making a bigger tit of themselves. You know about Google right?

GRA regularily point out the lack of numbers. I pointed out a few hours ago. All easily verified using the internet machine.
    GRA article about lack of resources from January 2020 or This article from September just gone about lack of armed units and even this article about lack of Gardai for rural policing

Only 2 stations in Dublin 1. Pretty easily found online.

Gardai have never gone on Strike. Blue flue in 1998 I remember, that was the day that the ERU foiled an IRA bank team that were carrying a ****ing rocket launcher and attempted to take hostages! Heres an article all about it. Tell me, where these Gardai cowards that could only tackle decent people?

No arrests? How can Prisons be overflowing? Courts stuffed to bursting without Gardai arresting people? In fact, over 100 thousand people were arrested last year as can be seen Here. Perhaps you consider the 400 rapists, 40 murderers and thousands of burglars, thieves and drug dealers as 'decent people' then?

Electric picnic is in Stradbally by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

There's other comments that I don't think merit a reply at all but do since research. The Garda budget in comparison to the gdp of the nation is below most countries. The Garda fleet of cars, etc is well below. The manpower not just in pure officer numbers but support staff is way down.

Hungary, twice size and population, more than four times the police.

Spain, 10 times the population but 15 times the police numbers including support staff.

I could go on and on and on. Nypd, met, psni, France...........

You want a genuine police force? You need 20k Gardai plus another 3k support staff. You need to seriously upgrade stations and cells. Invest heavily in the it systems and Garda cars, bikes and air support. Then plough into training so that there's enough Gardai trained in the systems they are supposed to use. You need to free up Gardai from passports, court, prosecutions and uniform response should actually be response. Separate investigation people because the sap in the uniform can't do everything.

I don't think the manpower levels of AGS are particularly bad - per head of population wise - in comparison with most other EU countries, with the UK, with Australia and NZ, or even with most US states. However, most of these countries have a national intelligence service which I don't think Ireland has.

I would close down half of the Garda stations around Ireland, though, complete waste of resources, I'd say. New Zealand has just over half the number cop shops covering 4 times the area of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sure Jan.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    I don't think the manpower levels of AGS are particularly bad - per head of population wise - in comparison with most other EU countries, with the UK, with Australia and NZ, or even with most US states. However, most of these countries have a national intelligence service which I don't think Ireland has.

Its one of the worst! As I pointed out, NYPD, MET, PSNI, Spanish, French, Italian and Hungarian national services all far outweigh Gardai in numbers and worse again when geographical size is added into it. Theres nations with smaller but Ireland is way in the bottom half of the table
    I would close down half of the Garda stations around Ireland, though, complete waste of resources, I'd say. New Zealand has just over half the number cop shops covering 4 times the area of Ireland.

Irish policing is still reliant on beat officers. You wont make it close to the edge of the district if its larger. Thats fine for operating in cars. Store Street and Pearse Street are 90% beats and they rarely make it as far as O'Connell Street and Grafton Street before finding a prisoner

The great thing about these threads, the anti-cop people rarely have any actual proof to their easily refuted claims and in future when they try and claim they arent just Garda bashers, it can be referred back to.

Probable worked well in the boozer when someonback in the days before someone with a smartphone couldn prove you wrong and an idiot within 1 minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

coinop wrote: »
    Sadly all major cities have to deal with drug addicts and other undesirables. The problem is that while other cities hide these wasters away in the suburbs or a designated ghetto, Dublin locates its methadone clinics slap bang in the city center so all the junkies travel there (using their free travel pass of course) to get their fix and intimidate ordinary decent people. You won't find drug addicts harassing tourists and office workers around the Louvre in Paris or the Loop in Chicago. They are shunned away to the banlieues and the South Side ghettos respectively, where the Untermenschen can murder and rob each other to their hearts content. Proper order.

The truth is nobody wants junkies on their doorsteps. Its unfair to dump them on communities, its unfair on commerce to have them in the city center. Its unfair to dump them in some country town. Nobody wants these dirty diseased individuals and their issues. Oh everyone is all "oh in a world where you can be anything be kind. Addictions are health problems not criminal problems". These people dont live within an asses roar of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Its one of the worst! As I pointed out, NYPD, MET, PSNI, Spanish, French, Italian and Hungarian national services all far outweigh Gardai in numbers and worse again when geographical size is added into it. Theres nations with smaller but Ireland is way in the bottom half of the table

Well I don't know if it's one of the worst, and I'm not saying that the Garda is undermanned - it is - I just think the Garda could be made a more efficient.
    Irish policing is still reliant on beat officers.

I find that hard to believe - I rarely see them on the beat.
    You wont make it close to the edge of the district if its larger. Thats fine for operating in cars. Store Street and Pearse Street are 90% beats and they rarely make it as far as O'Connell Street and Grafton Street before finding a prisoner
    BTW, I am referring to the more rural areas in general.

What does that mean, 'make it closer to the edge'? The Garda are never going to make it to an emergency call-out if: A. the personnel are not available, B. the vehicles are not available either. Time to maker the Police force more efficient, i should think.

Well I don't know if it's one of the worst, and I'm not saying that the Garda is undermanned - it is - I just think the Garda could be made a more efficient.

I find that hard to believe - I rarely see them on the beat.

BTW, I am referring to the more rural areas in general.

What does that mean, 'make it closer to the edge'? The Garda are never going to make it to an emergency call-out if: A. the personnel are not available, B. the vehicles are not available either. Time to maker the Police force more efficient, i should think.
    Closer to the edge of the geographical area they cover.....
    The way to make it more efficient is to remove the oceans of paperwork either by removing the oceans of paperwork or push that paperwork onto non Gardai. That and making the law and sentencing more streamlined.
    We have an incredibly small force for the size of population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It’s the same all over ireland , many parts of rural Ireland have bordering on zero garda presence .
    Traveller gangs have capitalised big time robbing all round them .
    The few guards that are around are more inclined to catch tax payers for micky mouse traffic offences than go near real criminals

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s the same all over ireland , many parts of rural Ireland have bordering on zero garda presence .
    The few guards that are around are more inclined to catch tax payers for micky mouse traffic offences than go near real criminals
    'real' criminals end up in jail all the time. It's very difficult getting them there however.

And the prisons are overflowing from criminals surrendering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There were roughly three times the number of road deaths in 2019 versus the number of murders. Roads Policing is vital and hardly over resourced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

There were roughly three times the number of road deaths in 2019 versus the number of murders. Roads Policing is vital and hardly over resourced.

Burglary gangs and drug gangs have a far bigger impact in rural ireland than traffic offences . Every house in rural Ireland has to have alarms if not cctv At this stage with everyone bolting themselves in each evening to avoid burglary gangs .

Burglary gangs and drug gangs have a far bigger impact in rural ireland than traffic offences . Every house in rural Ireland has to have alarms if not cctv At this stage with everyone bolting themselves in each evening to avoid burglary gangs .

Over dramatic much?

"everyone bolting themselves in" I lock the door the same way in my house in town as I do when Im down home.

"drug gangs have a far bigger impact in rural ireland" There have been far far more drugs shootings in Dublin city than in my rural homeplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

like not having road tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

One of the most corrupt forces in the world
    Rotten to the core and not fit for purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I witnessed a crime last year. Poor woman was knocked to the ground and her bag with a good few bob in it taken. They obviously watched her in the bank. Anyway I drove the woman home which was a few km away and before setting off called the local station.

In fairness, they were brilliant. I wasn't that familiar with the area, but they just looked for the Eircode of the lady's house. They arrived within the hour, took statements and so on and were very professional.

I was impressed and that was in Dublin where they are rather stretched TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its politically difficult to do that , despite the fact that no response comes from a small village station with one guard ( they radio for support to the nearest town ) for the most harmless of crimes , people like the idea of stations which are little more than document stamping depots remaining open

its an irish thing , same way we dont want ballymagash hospital closing no matter how ill equipped it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Over dramatic much?

"everyone bolting themselves in" I lock the door the same way in my house in town as I do when Im down home.

"drug gangs have a far bigger impact in rural ireland" There have been far far more drugs shootings in Dublin city than in my rural homeplace.

Thank you. you beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Yes, they make themselves available when there's a sniff of handy overtime.

I know 4 members of AGS, folk who went into it for the pension or as their primary/initial career was falling on hard times
    or they were thick.... Car sales, IT, vandriver & worked in a bookies.

IT guy was thick and couldn't get decent IT work. Car sales guy was out of work, vandriver fancied the pension and bookies worker fancied it for better wages etc, she was into horses but wages woeful at that.

Three of them have haven't progressed in their 10/15 years in AGS.... Vandriver lad does plain clothes work but he isn't a detective.

So you would begrudge someone trying to make a better career for themselves. What should the criteria be for wanting to become a guard? Only those who have wanted to be superhero's from the age of 3 need apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

One of the most corrupt forces in the world
    Rotten to the core and not fit for purpose

I wonder how the Gardai who questioned and charged tonight the individual who murdered that woman and two kids are tonight .

• Advertisement

I wonder how the Gardai who questioned and charged tonight the individual who murdered that woman and two kids are tonight .

The husband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Poor Guards

Totally agree - the gaurds are totally impotent and disinterested - anything other than a murder (with body) or kinehans level crime ( pipe bombs/beheadings/drive by shootings) and they do not want to know. Its as though they have collectively sat down and decided that they are just not going to do the work & paperwork. An instution that passively refuses to do their job while waddling around in navy uniforms. What minister is looking after this now - its an ongoing shambles. If they are just going to play bodygaurd for crime gangs lets be done with it and charge the Kinehans for their private security firm - they’re certainly providing the rest of us no proper services. Shambles.

The problem is not the police, it is the justice system that emasculates them with light or no sentences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The husband?

Dunno , but imagine being part of that investigation team let alone finding those bodies , how would you find time to be corrupt and rotten to the core ?

Dunno , but imagine being part of that investigation team let alone finding those bodies , how would you find time to be corrupt and rotten to the core ?

Crisis fatigue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The problem is not the police, it is the justice system that emasculates them with light or no sentences

Just noting I dont remember Michael McDowell getting much media support for a new prison.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

To have a decent police force you need tough city mayors that can push them for results and pressure them to actually police. Considering our current city mayors are just ceremonial ribbon cutters with no real power what so ever policing remains static and the pace of change in policing is glacial. Isn’t this thread 13 years old ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Valresnick wrote: »
    To have a decent police force you need tough city mayors that can push them for results and pressure them to actual police. Considering our current city mayors are just ceremonial ribbon cutters with no real power what so ever policing remains static and the pace of change in policing is glacial. Isn’t this thread 13 years old ?

You're thinking of the US or maybe you watched a few episodes of the wire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pasteur. wrote: »

Mayors with real powers and roles in policing priorities isnt just a US thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Pasteur. wrote: »

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Cue stupid responses folks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement