Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC configurator?

Options
  • 29-11-2020 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Having been the family IT guy for decades, I was recently asked for advice for a nephew who "wants to build a gaming PC". Problem is, it's a long time since I've been matching PC components and I haven't a rashers what ports, slots etc. are needed for the various components these days.

I'm still waiting for news on what the planned budget is, whether it is to include peripherals and monitor, and what type of games he currently plays.

Full disclosure: When my own son wanted a PC upgrade I just ordered a PC from AWD.it. I think my nephew and brother-in-law plan to put this one together themselves though. Albeit with zero previous PC building experience.

Are there any sites which offer a configuration service on their web store, to order the components as parts for a home build? I thought Komplett and Overclockers used to offer something like this but can't see it now.

All advice is most welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Use the UK configurator of PCPartpicker:
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

There's a few other retailers to buy from, too, e.g. Caseking.DE & Amazon Germany.

Or just post with your budget & needs and someone here will set you right.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

CPUs and gpus are expensive even the old ones and used to be the value leader but ryzen cpu prices are going up so also look at Intel. If going with amd get b550 mother board or if not much more go with x570 intel go with 10th or 11th gen gpu go with 650 watt minimum power supply. 1 tb nvme SSD drive 16 gb 3600 memory for and intel memory I think only goes to ddr4 2666
    Çheck memory motherboard recommended memory
    As ryzen can crash with some memory
    The 3600 and cpu is what most people recommend slot of people should wait for the amd ryzen 5000 CPUs and 6800 gpus and nvidia 3000 gpus all mostly out stock maybe they might have stock at Christmas with monitor your probably looking at 1000 euros but you can go cheaper b450 motherboard and 2600 cpu intel if it's same price or lower is better at gaming but and is usually cheaper and more cores
    Look at pc parts picker uk price drops for sales
    Most lower end amd intel CPUs come with stock cooler don't forget case with fans
    Some coolers come with paste or you will have to buy some

You can buy some cheap rgp lights for case if you don't want to buy rgp parts that add to cost

Window 10 you can buy cdkeys around the place you load windows media creator onto a USB drive from your computer

Lots of computer building videos on you tube

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/gaming-pc-build-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks for the replies.

The building I have no problem with.
    Where I haven't kept up to date over the years is regarding socket types for mobos and CPUs, slots and GPUs etc.
    Also, may be showing my age here, PSU wattage was on the up and up last time I put a Windows PC together. 400w was probably about standard, while 600w was the norm for a serious gaming rig. The world is a lot greener now so I dunno how beefy a power supply is necessary these days for a low to mid range gaming box. Could be 400w still, could be 800w. Not a clue here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

milltown wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

The building I have no problem with.
    Where I haven't kept up to date over the years is regarding socket types for mobos and CPUs, slots and GPUs etc.
    Also, may be showing my age here, PSU wattage was on the up and up last time I put a Windows PC together. 400w was probably about standard, while 600w was the norm for a serious gaming rig. The world is a lot greener now so I dunno how beefy a power supply is necessary these days for a low to mid range gaming box. Could be 400w still, could be 800w. Not a clue here!

It was going down recently, then the latest generation of GPUs came out. 700W is about the minimum I'd go for at the top end, and only then if it's a good PSU - there are some crap brands out there. You'd get away with 600W in a midrange I'd say. Once you have a budget etc. one or more of us will throw up a build for you on PC Part Picker and then argue with each other over which is the best version of a widget until KO Kiki wins.

In fairness to the PC's green credentials the days of 1000W+ SLI set ups are pretty much dead apart from Spear.

Advertisement