Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New desktop

Options
  • 29-11-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am looking to get a new desktop pc for family use. I have all of the accessories so just looking for a desktop.

I have a budget of €300 to €350.

It will be used for light enough duties, home working, browsing etc. It won't be used for any gaming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My knowledge of this is very limited!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

If you want something small and quiet, I would recommend getting a NUC with 10th gen i3 CPU, an SSD and 8GB RAM.
    Here's an example.

534526.png

I know this goes a bit over your budget. If you want it within the budget, you can replace the NVMe drive with a 2.5in SATA, or drop the RAM to 4Gb, but I would recommend you stretch it a bit and get the benefits that come from a faster SSD and the extra RAM.

Assembly is easy, there are videos on YT if you need guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

JoyPad wrote: »
    If you want something small and quiet, I would recommend getting a NUC with 10th gen i3 CPU, an SSD and 8GB RAM.
    Here's an example.

534526.png

I know this goes a bit over your budget. If you want it within the budget, you can replace the NVMe drive with a 2.5in SATA, or drop the RAM to 4Gb, but I would recommend you stretch it a bit and get the benefits that come from a faster SSD and the extra RAM.

Assembly is easy, there are videos on YT if you need guidance.

Thanks for the reply, I will probably go ahead and order it. This should keep me going for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

johntune wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I will probably go ahead and order it. This should keep me going for a few years?

I'm typing this on a similar system I bought 3 years ago, still running strong. I'm using it for day-to-day stuff: email, forums, watching youtube/netflix, etc.

I also bought another one, exact same model I linked above, as a media machine for the living room. It's very quiet, as it has no moving parts.

Advertisement