Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immortals Fenyx Rising (Switch)

Options
  • 29-11-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone picking this up on Friday? I've been watching a few streams on YouTube and I think it looks great.

I also saw Nintendo Life's comparison with the PS5 version and it some places it looks better on Switch (PS5 looks a bit muddy in side by side comparison).

Reviews will be interesting. If it generally gets 8/10 across the board, I'll definitely pick it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Didn't enjoy the story telling option they went with, if that's the way the whole game goes its a no from me. The comedy wasn't for me.
    The BOTW style graphics look very nice, even if the character design is a little Fortnite-y.
    I enjoyed the combat in the demo, very similar to Assassins Creed Odyssey. But since I'm still playing Odyssey I'm not too sure i want to jump into another game like that.
    I think it will do well on Switch though. Not too many massive AAA titles coming out on Switch this Christmas to compete with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I’m on the fence. I want a good open world game. I’ll wait on performance reviews first and likely a price drop as I have tons to play right now. Hoping it nails it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Open world seems beautiful and attractive, but interesting how narrative is handled. The premise is curious, so for now I'm on the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I started this thread specifically for the Switch version.

Review Embargo is 5pm today, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I'm very tempted as I have been an avid reader of mythology from an early age the one thing that concerns me is Ubisoft regularly reduce Switch games Id hate to buy this lose interest and then see it half price in a few months. It looks really engaging I will say that much hope the switch version is BOTW type rather than Outer World's graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's exactly the kind of game I've been yearning for on the Switch for the last while. Really hoping that it's good and a solid enough port.

Looks alright on switch - the lighting and shadows are terrible compared to say the PS5 but that's in comparison, particularly side-by-side - in isolation it looks ok imo and you wouldn't notice after a while

just hope that the framerate is decent......

It's not going to be as expansive in ideas and scope as BOTW obviously but even if it is an Assassin's Creed - Breadth of the Wild Edition Ubisoft job than anything else it still may be good - hopefully...

Switch is crying out for for a good epic right now as if you're not into animal crossing it's been a lean year except for indie stuff, particularly on the large-scale 3D side of things - "Age of calamity" seems to have been too-aptly named.

Agreed. There's been nothing like Breath of the Wild since, well, Breath of the Wild. I know it's not going to be as good, but something open world like Spider-Man, Assassins Creed etc, would be nice. I know we have the older Assassins Creed, and I know the Switch can't run Odyssey etc. This hopefully will hit the spot.

Reviews are out - very positive on the whole (multi-platform reviews_

http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/3791-immortals-fenyx-rising-ps4-xb1-switch-pc-xbs-ps5

Switch specific comments

-> seems like it's still a decent experience thankfully.

https://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/clash-of-the-genres-immortals-fenyx-rising-review/
    Elisha tackled our Nintendo Switch portion of the game, and I’ve included his thoughts on that platform, as well as some video of the game in motion while docked. Let’s get one thing straight: this is probably the worst-looking version of the game. You most likely aren’t going to get this version if you plan on looking at the gorgeous visuals, but oddly enough, because of the stylistic approach to the graphics, you don’t lose too much in transition. While it’s not going to run at the smooth buttery 60 FPS of even the PS5 or Xbox Series X versions, much less the 4K/60+ on PC, the Switch version does hold up whether in docked or portable mode. You can check my first 25 minutes of the game, which impressively holds up even with a downgrade.

I was warned earlier that I would need a Pro Controller in order to immerse myself into the game, but I found that the portable mode controls are serviceable as is (which means even playing it on a Switch Lite would be fine). While undocked, the game runs a little worse than its docked counterpart, but again, it runs just fine considering I can go outside in a car with it. The same action experience is there, and it was pretty easy chaining attacks and dodging enemies while smiting them with the power of the gods.

While fiddling with quick items was a bit cumbersome (since I’d have to move my thumb from my analog stick to the D-Pad buttons), it was still impressive to be zipping around the world without being tethered to a television screen. There’s also a neat little feature tucked into the Switch version, since you can toggle gyro controls to help with aiming. This made shooting Apollo’s Arrows much more precise and fun, and while I didn’t use gyro aim all the time, it’s still a nifty feature.

In short, this isn’t the prettiest or smoothest iteration of Immortals Fenyx Rising; heck, the game even crashed on me when I was playing in portable mode. While I recommend any other version of the game if you’re looking for a graphics powerhouse, the portable value of the Switch makes for a great on-the-go experience if you want to spend a weekend hearing what Prometheus and Zeus are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

An alternative take from NWR. On the latest version (1.0.2), the game crashed 7 times in the 20 hour runtime, cut scenes look awful and there are lots of sub-30 FPS dips in the frame rate.

Bottom line: Great game, but if you have the option, don't play on Switch.

• Advertisement

will have to see what the consensus is but seeing as the NWR review is based on a much longer runtime seems like more accurate obviously

bummer if the case

a more powerful switch needed to allow on-the-go ports of big games

Might get The Witcher Outer Worlds treatment of a makeover patch soon after release this week. Hopefully there's a demo on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Haven’t watched it yet but Switch Up are usually good for reviews

Might get The Witcher Outer Worlds treatment of a makeover patch soon after release this week. Hopefully there's a demo on Thursday

there is only so much you can do with "the patch" tho really

they don't deliberately release these games with unstable framerates and graphics

the development time has already been long - what is an extra week going to do?

the power simply isn't there in the 2014 Tegra chip

there may well be "a patch" but it's not going to change that much - same with the outer worlds really

although I'd love to be surprised in this case....

prove me wrong Ubisoft please

although have taken a look at the switch up video review - appears that just before the review embargo (1 hour before) an update was released that improved things (particularly on docked)

so most likely the NWR review above was based on not seeing that update

maybe it's playable after all.... I think?

good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Looks fantastic post patch. Think I'll treat myself to this in the new year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think more and more the Switch is going to show it's technological age with titles like this, I mean at this stage the Switch is now two generations behind the PS5 and Serie X.

That said, if games like this remain fully playable and feature complete, I'm not too fused what the shadows or lighting look like.

apparently that update was released a couple of days ago - not 1hr before review embargo

just that the switch up guy got it late

so reviewers may have been looking at the same version after all.....

so should wait to see more reviews come through really before judging...

up-to-date comparison with playstation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If I didnt have such a large backlog I would be all over this

Looks great!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anyone playing this? I wasn't interested until I watched a few reviews and it seems like it could be good. Trying to pick only one game to get this Christmas that I'll actually play through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

I am playing it. It is a poor mans BotW. Unbelievable how many trope they have ripped off.

That said, the narration is well done and humorous and I am enjoying playing it. Fighting is fun and the puzzles are entertaining.

nedd wrote: »
    I am playing it. It is a poor mans BotW. Unbelievable how many trope they have ripped off.

That said, the narration is well done and humorous and I am enjoying playing it. Fighting is fun and the puzzles are entertaining.

There’s so little BotW style games or even open world games that I’m fine with that. My main concern is purely performance and that seems fine from reports so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

chrislad wrote: »
    There’s so little BotW style games or even open world games that I’m fine with that. My main concern is purely performance and that seems fine from reports so far.

I haven't seen it running on anything else so it looks fine to me. I am far from a connoisseur of frame rate or definition. If a game is fun I will play it.

It looks better than Outer Worlds but not as good as The Witcher.

The framerate is ok but it's not a solid 30 throughout

There are definitely dips in combat

It's still a very fun gameplay loop for sure and is decent on switch

I do get the impression that combat would be a smoother experience on other systems so keep that in mind if you have more than 1 option

here is the situation after the latest patch

as this is the second major patch I would assume this to be near final

this video will give you the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Stupid question considering how new this is. But do ubisoft games generally go on sale on switch eventually?

I like the look of this but not sure I want to pay full price 😅 maybe if I clear my backlog, but I think I know that'll never happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

plibige wrote: »
    Stupid question considering how new this is. But do ubisoft games generally go on sale on switch eventually?

I like the look of this but not sure I want to pay full price 😅 maybe if I clear my backlog, but I think I know that'll never happen!

It's £30 on Amazon already, I'd say it'll get cheaper again in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

baldshin wrote: »
    It's £30 on Amazon already, I'd say it'll get cheaper again in January.

I'm thinking the same. Game looks good but I feel like I'll be able to pick it up cheaper in a few months and there's enough other games out there to keep me going

• Advertisement
Advertisement