Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is it possible that Ozil can be drafted in or is he gone for the year? Not saying he's the answer, just curious

Thought he could be registered in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Faith in the manager to get us going.
    Maybe a Bruno type player in January could make a massive difference

Bruno? Just so I'm clear, do you mean yer man who plays for that shambolic mess of a Man United team that even we beat?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Bruno? Just so I'm clear, do you mean yer man who plays for that shambolic mess of a Man United team that even we beat?

They can go third tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Is it possible that Ozil can be drafted in or is he gone for the year? Not saying he's the answer, just curious

Think he can in January, but I wouldn't bother that shop has sailed and his been coasting for 2 years, need to look forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

They are 5 points off 1st with a game in hand. So ya them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wasn't convinced that Arteta was the right man for a job of this size when he first got it, but I was willing to get behind him when he got the job and he talked a good game and seemed to have a presence about him, so I thought there was a chance he might be able to do it.

If Brighton win tomorrow, the team will be sixteenth after 11 games. Sixteenth. The football is terrible, painful to watch. Surely he can't be guaranteed to stay there much longer if things keep going like this. People were absolutely losing it at the tail end of the Emery era and it was never as grim as this. What's keeping the situation calm is the fact that he doesn't have thousands of fans losing their minds in front of him every other week.

Let's face it here, fifteenth after 11 games: anyone else would expect the sack now.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I think a lot of us were taken in by how well Arteta talks, he really sounds like he knows what he’s at. After a year though it seems there’s not much to back it up. The FA Cup win was great of course but we’ve been sh1te in the league.

In the same way that there just seems to be an opinion that Willian was brought in to teach the younger blokes (and that that's reasonable!), there also seemed to be this general yet unspecified opinion that "football people" all thought Arteta is going to be a brilliant manager.

They are 5 points off 1st with a game in hand. So ya them

They are also just 6 points ahead of us, and we're fùckin crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

They are also just 6 points ahead of us, and we're fùckin crap.

U make no sense with that logic, they can go 2 points off first. It's that simple

U make no sense with that logic, they can go 2 points off first. It's that simple

That's a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

It's both the players fault and the manager. We know the players are capable of producing quality but at the moment almost all of them dropped their form. Arteta shouldn't have risked Partey if not fully fit and risking him to get injured again.

Arteta will need time and get His players before we can judge him but at this rate it is very worrying. We all know most of the players in our squad isn't good enough. It would be nice if Arteta can select our Europa / Thursdays players as they would put up more fight than these starting 11

They are still winning games and scoring goals.

5star02707 wrote: »
    It's both the players fault and the manager. We know the players are capable of producing quality but at the moment almost all of them dropped their form. Arteta shouldn't have risked Partey if not fully fit and risking him to get injured again.

Arteta will need time and get His players before we can judge him but at this rate it is very worrying. We all know most of the players in our squad isn't good enough. It would be nice if Arteta can select our Europa / Thursdays players as they would put up more fight than these starting 11

So, if it's both the player's and the manager's fault...the buck has to stop with the owners.

So here we are again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Arteta deserves some time. As bad a position we are in a run of 3/4 games has you back chasing the top 4 that’s how open the league is. We are shot on confidence I really think there is something in Arteta we just need to give it some time.

Time will tell but you got to give him a chance or two to get it right. There’s also Covid and no fans in the mix here, it’s an odd time.

Two winnable games coming up it’s make or break for him there

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Midfielders playing as fullbacks, full backs playing as wingers, wingers playing as strikers and strikers playing as midifelders, the more I think about it the more insane it seems.

What about that can give you confidence? How is that meant to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Lowest amount of chances created in the Premier league.
    Bottom 3 for shots on targets, only 3 teams have scored less.
    I'm trying to stay optimistic but I don't see where the goals and in turn results are going to come from. Next 2 games are huge for arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Gas how the answer is always :sack the manager.

There isn't a manager out there who can makes us good within the next 12-18 months. Fact is, we have too many sh*t players taking up important roles in the team.

We have Ozil on 350k per week until the end of the season and he's not even registered. That is nothing short of farcical. We gave Willian, a 32 year old winger, a three year deal on big big wages. That was stupid. We gave Auba, a 31 year old striker, a three year deal. I was slated on here at the time for saying I think we should sell him. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not saying I told you so, but there are some decisions being made that indicate a lack of foresight in the board room.

We gave Arteta the job. I was against it when he was linked with it the first time round for all the reasons people have stated in here. We're a big club. Why give it to a novice etc. I was a bit more on board with it when he eventually got the job second time round.

He's a novice manager, he is learning on the job and he will make mistakes. I think we are invested in him for the medium term. This is a 3-5 year project and he's the guy the Kroenkes want to steer us through this. I don't think Arteta is going anywhere unless something drastic happens, and I don't think we should get rid of him.

The players are the problem that he can solve but this will take time, several transfer windows. Ozil will be gone at the end of the season. The recruitment and decisions being made around it are serious cause for concern and that is not anything to do with Arteta (bar the Willian deal).

There isn't a manager out there who can makes us good within the next 12-18 months. Fact is, we have too many sh*t players taking up important roles in the team.

We have Ozil on 350k per week until the end of the season and he's not even registered. That is nothing short of farcical. We gave Willian, a 32 year old winger, a three year deal on big big wages. That was stupid. We gave Auba, a 31 year old striker, a three year deal. I was slated on here at the time for saying I think we should sell him. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not saying I told you so, but there are some decisions being made that indicate a lack of foresight in the board room.

We gave Arteta the job. I was against it when he was linked with it the first time round for all the reasons people have stated in here. We're a big club. Why give it to a novice etc. I was a bit more on board with it when he eventually got the job second time round.

He's a novice manager, he is learning on the job and he will make mistakes. I think we are invested in him for the medi term. This is a 3-5 year project and he's the guy the Kroenkes want to steer us through this. I don't think Arteta is going anywhere unless something drastic happens, and I don't think we should get rid of him.

The players are the problem that he can solve but this will take time, several transfer windows. Ozil will be gone at the end of the season. The recruitment and decisions being made around it are serious cause for concern and that is not anything to do with Arteta (bar the Willian deal).

But hes not even seeing his mistakes. You'd say theres no real plan other than out the ball in to the box, heres Alex Scott on it, puts it quite well: https://streamable.com/m0lf6j

Midfielders playing as fullbacks, full backs playing as wingers, wingers playing as strikers and strikers playing as midifelders, the more I think about it the more insane it seems.

What about that can give you confidence? How is that meant to work.

Look the above isn’t really what’s happening, yes one or two players like Lacca is in an odd position but the above isn’t correct.

There’s not a lot of defending him anyone can do right now, I just feel he needs some time rather than being fcuked out the first sign of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

He's a novice manager, he is learning on the job and he will make mistakes. I think we are invested in him for the medium term. This is a 3-5 year project and he's the guy the Kroenkes want to steer us through this. I don't think Arteta is going anywhere unless something drastic happens, and I don't think we should get rid of him.

Nail head on hit... Organise as you will

I was disappointed today but not surprised. Jan window will speak volumes. We are carrying a lot of players at the moment, let's see if the new year see them go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mourinho on Arsenal: "I can imagine tomorrow there, that the headlines will be about them not being in a good position on the table but I believe with this players, with Mikel, Arsenal will be Arsenal again."

Mourinho on Arsenal: "I can imagine tomorrow there, that the headlines will be about them not being in a good position on the table but I believe with this players, with Mikel, Arsenal will be Arsenal again."

When he’s speaks well about you, you know your in the ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What’s mourinhos idea of Arsenal again?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Look the above isn’t really what’s happening, yes one or two players like Lacca is in an odd position but the above isn’t correct.

There’s not a lot of defending him anyone can do right now, I just feel he needs some time rather than being fcuked out the first sign of trouble

No, this is about the way hes been setting up to play and his insistence, get it out wide and cross the ball in works is insane. How long was Auba playing as a winger, its what he fkin does, its not incorrect if you actually watch the matches.

Its happening all the time, Bellerin was a wing back today, so was Saka. Xhaka moves out left to the wing in a full back position - look at the entire second half. Partey wasnt just covering one time where Bellerin was pushed forward for the goal in the second half, the midfielders are expected to play that way.

No, this is about the way hes been setting up to play and his insistence, get it out wide and cross the ball in works is insane. How long was Auba playing as a winger, its what he fkin does, its not incorrect if you actually watch the matches.

Its happening all the time, Bellerin was a wing back today, so was Saka. Xhaka moves out left to the wing in a full back position - look at the entire second half. Partey wasnt just covering one time where Bellerin was pushed forward for the goal in the second half, the midfielders are expected to play that way.

Auba plays in a front 3, he scored plenty from there last season, it’s not an unusual position. The crossing thing is odd, reality is he wants it like City get it wide the midfield overload into attack but that’s not happening, he’s not looking to play headed balls in. That said what he is trying is nowhere close.

The FBs play as FBs when we defend when we attack Xhaka drops in to make it a back 3 it’s quite a normal set up, most continental teams do it as do City and Pool, again it’s not clicking for us but the theory is correct

We’re in the **** right now and he needs to sort it

Auba plays in a front 3, he scored plenty from there last season, it’s not an unusual position. The crossing thing is odd, reality is he wants it like City get it wide the midfield overload into attack but that’s not happening, he’s not looking to play headed balls in. That said what he is trying is nowhere close.

The FBs play as FBs when we defend when we attack Xhaka drops in to make it a back 3 it’s quite a normal set up, most continental teams do it as do City and Pool, again it’s not clicking for us but the theory is correct

We’re in the **** right now and he needs to sort it

Nah, you had Auba out on the wing, lucky to get 2-3 touches in the box a match for months. Lacazette playing in midfield today. Saka playing in the wing back position but really playing as a wing forward. Whoever the midfield 2 are they sit right in beside the centrbacks.

City and Pool have fkin incredible forwards but you'll still see the midfield playing in the midfield and trying to move centrally, not Salah and Mane playing wing back

Nketiah, Auba, Lacazette all on at the same time, what type of gameplan is that? Pushing Saka back to right back?

Near the end of the match, how many times did the ball go out wide to Tierney only to have Willian to be 3 yards beside him.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I think the crossing obsession is a personnel issue. Our midfield contribute zilch off the ball (and are questionable on it!!), our forwards are technically poor on the ball bar the odd action here and there (Auba is terrible and all of his best work used to be without it, Willian has zero confidence, is physically deficient & is just not good full stop and Laca; I don't even know what he is bar being an annoyance to watch). None of them can link play at a high level. Willian can't even pass a ball forward most of the time!

The only way we can create numerical advantages is overlaps out wide with Tierney/Saka & Bellerin/Willian and even then, we have a combination of the delivery being poor, the movement inside the box being shit and absolutely nobody arriving late from the middle ala Ramsey used to. Feel sorry for Bellerin in many ways as he's having to run that right channel solo and if he screws up a final ball, or anything before it, Holding is brutally exposed as we again found out twice today.

Arteta's hands are tied with this bunch. Too many of them are simply rubbish or badly out of form. I legit don't think he's the problem, nor close to being the problem, and I think he is the solution. He just needs time to shift out the deadwood and be given some money, which should come once the wage bill gets sliced massively over the next couple of windows. Don't get me wrong, he has made lots of mistakes and will continue to make some more, but he has huge potential as a head coach/manager. Certainly much more potential to contribute to the cause than 80%+ members of the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The main problem now is player confidence. It’s non existent.
    Then playing them out of position adds to the problem.
    Many of them are not going to win you enough games to ease the problems.
    They are only good enough for a lower Premier League side and that’s exactly what we are now.

When he’s speaks well about you, you know your in the ****

I think I read a stat during the week that we've never ever beaten any jose team away from home. The man has us figured out for years. Say what you will about him but he can always get the best of us.

• Advertisement

He can f*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't know all i can say really is people were taking the piss out of them last year when they are absolute rubbish and they gave mourinho time and backed him and look what happened since the latter years of wenger the squad has been in decline due to rubbish recruitment and short term stop gaps

Still think we should back Mikel both in January and the Summer

Yeah, I just want to say on the record I support Arteta, he needs a decent bit of time. And no more bullshìt recruitment.

I don't know all i can say really is people were taking the piss out of them last year when they are absolute rubbish and they gave mourinho time and backed him and look what happened since the latter years of wenger the squad has been in decline due to rubbish recruitment and short term stop gaps

Still think we should back Mikel both in January and the Summer

You have to back him in those windows or there is no point bringing him in, Partey and Gabriel good start but there is alot of dead wood to shift and replace with higher quality players.
    Could it be the case alot of these players were put in the window in the summer and know they will be up for sale again in January and have checked out? I know they should be professional but do they really care if they know they're out the door in a few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Big job for Edu in January and next summer. Hope he is up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

On the players, I think Hector needs a spell out of the team. He has badly regressed and the foul throw thing is farcical at this point.

Holding - willing but is not good enough, nor are any of the other centre halves we have but I still have hopes for Chambers. I hope to see him get a run of games beside Gabriel when he's fit enough.

Xhaka - what is the point? He doesn't win the ball back, and he doesn't add anything when he has the ball. He literally adds nothing anymore.

Willian - again I ask, what is the point? Why did we give him a three year deal on massive wages especially after being burnt on the Ozil and Milkhi deals in similar fashion? This is one deal where I'd apportion some blame to Arteta as by all accounts he pushed hard to make this deal happen. We get it, you don't rate Pepe, but this Willian deal is looking like more and more a fcking disaster with every week that goes by. Two and a half years more to go.

The situations with Ozil and Sokratis are ridiculous too, around 400k a week being p*ssed up against the wall but that's not Arteta's fault that he couldn't move them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This is embarrassing. Remember when we were worried barca were going to poach him...

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1335631410233823234?s=19

This is embarrassing. Remember when we were worried barca were going to poach him...

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1335631410233823234?s=19

And that's not counting the ones he got away with, he must do it atleast 3 or 4 times a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Big job for Edu in January and next summer. Hope he is up to it.

Edu is not the solution. He is part of the problem! He is way too tied up with Kia Joorabchian. Luiz, Willian, Cedric transfer business all came via that channel. They cannot be considered in the best interests of the club and puts Arteta under even more pressure. Don't try and tell me for the money we've spent there were no better options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SkySter wrote: »
    no better options available.

Probably the expression I read on here that I hate the most. No one has a clue what's available or isn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

If we lose the next three league games I don't see Arteta facing Pep in the league cup quarter final just before Christmas. Serious improvements are needed asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Quazzie wrote: »
    Probably the expression I read on here that I hate the most. No one has a clue what's available or isn't available.

I'm talking about options to make better use of scarce resources like developing young talent and not handing expensive three year contracts to players with no resale value. Not necessarily specific players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SkySter wrote: »
    I'm talking about options to make better use of scarce resources like developing young talent and not handing expensive three year contracts to players with no resale value. Not necessarily specific players.

Developing young talent takes time, and stop gaps like Willian are required for that period. It takes poor results. Time away from the top. Patient fans etc.

At the moment Arteta isn't getting any time to coach. He is constantly moving from game preparation to game preparation. The sooner the better we are out of the likes of the League cup, and the Europa league, because then Arteta will get a chance to actually coach the team, which he was doing pre-COVID

Personally I think Willian should be nowhere near our first XI.

Back to the usual this week, hockeying some nobodys in europe then back home to play Burnley on Sunday where we may or may not get embarrassed...either way it'll be stink to watch.

Am I right in saying we've wom every non premier league game this season?

It's a bit mad all the same.

Having had some time to think, (and genuinely lost some sleep over it), I'm afraid the only solution is to get right behind the manager and presume (hope!) he has a plan to refresh the playing staff, and that he gets the backing to do just that.

Some of these guys just don't have it. I'm not talking about passion, or effort or balls. I'm talking about simply passing quickly and sharply around the opposition.

Or else just get Giroud back. Or any striker from anywhere who knows how to attack a cross with his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Have been quiet as was just watching the match yesterday and was too pissed off to post anything after the farce that it was.

I'd be of the give Arteta time camp, this is going to be a big project and bouncing from manager to manager isn't going to do us any good in the long term. With that said I was so annoyed that for someone who's supposed to be a master tactician he didn't know what everyone else in the world who has watched the Spurs team once this season knows, that they are a counter attacking team. We played to their strengths rather than our own and got punished for it.

There were a lot of Arsenal players that need to be dropped, they've not been performing lately but know that they're going to be in the team week in week out, this was also an issue motivation wise under the later Wenger years and the Emeri experiment. Bellerin has been very poor, I've read the posts, I'm not surprised at all that he has done 5 foul throws this season. Aside from the constantly getting caught out of position every single game, to not be able to take a throw in is unforgivable this is something that is taught at under 8s or less. Willian has not performed with the exception of his first match for us, he is too slow out there and doesn't look interested. Xhaka is back to his usual self giving away stupid pointless fouls that should result and often do in yellows. Partey shouldn't of been played, he wasn't fit simple as. Holding has done it time and time again this season, back up, back up, back up...oh no they scored, how did that happen? Has to be dropped, I'd be playing Mustafi ahead of him at this point and that says it all.

As people have said we've Europa league this week which should be a run out for the kids against Dundalk (no offence meant to them but we've already qualified top of the group). If some of them perform they need to be used in the league, I want to see Chambers get a go, AMN get in ahead of Bellerin, Willock/Saka/Nelson in, instead of Willian. Smith Rowe if he's fit could be given a game too and the hot prospect that is Balogun should be on the bench before Nketiah or Laca.

Hopefully Arteta can turn it around but it is the worst start we've had in a long long time. Need to put a couple of wins together with multiple goals, definitely doable considering the fixtures coming up but only time will tell.

DenMan wrote: »
    If we lose the next three league games I don't see Arteta facing Pep in the league cup quarter final just before Christmas. Serious improvements are needed asap.

What are Arteta’s strengths?
    I’m finding it hard to see them now.
    He started off with the bounce nearly all new managers get, even Emery, but we seem to be in a worse state now than when he took over.
    What is he reputed to be good at?

What are Arteta’s strengths?
    I’m finding it hard to see them now.
    He started off with the bounce nearly all new managers get, even Emery, but we seem to be in a worse state now than when he took over.
    What is he reputed to be good at?

When he started, there seemed to be a clear style of play. I can remember watching an analysis of different formations we were playing, and how every player seemed to know their role.

It really feels all that stuff has been lost now.

Basil3 wrote: »
    When he started, there seemed to be a clear style of play. I can remember watching an analysis of different formations we were playing, and how every player seemed to know their role.

It really feels all that stuff has been lost now.

I agree that we seemed to have a game plan too. Remember all the pressing against City and Liverpool? That doesn’t happen now.
    He doesn’t seem to have much man management skills. He played Ozil in his first 10 games and he wasn’t bad but was inexplicably dropped for some reason that wasn’t explained even though Arteta said he was delighted to have him in his squad.
    Aubamayang is not trying a yard either. AMN seemed to be improving under Arteta but is only being used in the Europa now.
    He also got some abuse for keeping a head injured Luiz on the field and for shoving Partey back into action yesterday.
    I think he’ll get it hard to survive at Arsenal unless there’s a very sudden revival of form.
    A lot of our problems are not of his making but the buck will stop with him unfairly or otherwise in the long run. He needs to get this squad playing ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Years of financial mismanagement biting us in the arse here. We had a manager who had a masters in economics and 20+ years of largely achieving what we wanted (challenge top 4, compete for cups and play decent football).

Somehow ended up with somebody who has never managed before and have fallen down the table losing our competitiveness and identity. Its sad but to be expected, will probably finish in the 7-12 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm p1ss3d off!
    Fixed that for you! :D

Congratulations on Dundalk's win yesterday.

And for the record, I want Arteta to stay. He needs backing in January and next Summer. Unless in the meantime we get relegated, I'd keep him until then.

The fact I've even mentioned the R word is scary, but that's nearly our form right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement