Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

That was a handball by Rodriguez, but the one in the box wasn't? Come on now, taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wow..how didn't the ball go in.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Xhaka has been excellent lately. He has been an integral part of the team, who has been performing excellently as has been pointed out in here.

Then he makes a mistake and it's "Arteta out".

Ridiculous.

He's been playing fine (til he cost us the game today) for a mid-table team for a little while. That's his level.

And since you didn't answer above, if it was directed at me I didn't have anything drafted about Kroenke. :rolleyes: I didn't open the thread since yesterday afternoon til half time, hadn't heard the stupid comment til then. I missed the first half (****in late one last night).
    Obviously now it'll be "Oh you're paranoid, who said it was directed at you?" etc.

Unless you just take the last 3 matches then I don't think you can pick a subset of matches where we have more than a 50% win percentage. It's not great.

Ugh, so Arsenal at the end again.

That was utter dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Last minute defending and off the post what the.. No words..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You can take a poor performance you can accept that in split moments players can make mistakes, even the referee can make a mistake but a VAR official gets as much time as he wants to make a decision. There was no interpretation of that hand ball it was a clear hand ball and that’s not acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2 points dropped. Lot of bad luck conspired against us today

Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Draw again against a poor team.
    Pepe’s dreadful miss stands out in that second half.
    Xhaka’s awful blunder in the first.
    Typical refereeing performance and typically Arsenal performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I'm ****ing fuming, **** football. Not gonna waste my time watching that **** again. I just give up.... I'm done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Regardless of the penalty not being given, that was an embarrassing performance in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

So it's Artetas fault? Was it also Artetas fault when Emery was manager and Xhaka was going the same thing?

Hang on, if Xhaka has been consistently making mistakes then why would a manager consistently keep picking him? Sounds to me like the very definition of insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's been playing fine (til he cost us the game today) for a mid-table team for a little while. That's his level.

And since you didn't answer above, if it was directed at me I didn't have anything drafted about Kroenke. :rolleyes: I didn't open the thread since yesterday afternoon til half time, hadn't heard the stupid comment til then. I missed the first half (****in late one last night).
    Obviously now it'll be "Oh you're paranoid, who said it was directed at you?" etc.

Unless you just take the last 3 matches then I don't think you can pick a subset of matches where we have more than a 50% win percentage. It's not great.
    So you didn't watch the first half but your first contribution today was how bad Xhaka has played and how he shouldn't be out there. So your giving your input with absolutely nothing to back it up.

If we were 3-0 up would you have even came into the thread at all. My guess is probably not.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'm ****ing fuming, **** football. Not gonna waste my time watching that **** again. I just give up.... I'm done

Ah don’t give up.
    Football is like life, frustrating at times, brilliant at other times.
    Don’t let it get you down.

Augme wrote: »
    Hang on, if Xhaka has been consistently making mistakes then why would a manager consistently keep picking him? Sounds to me like the very definition of insanity.

Xhaha has been one of our best players for the last 10 games. what are u even on about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Xhaka has been quite good over the last few weeks, but he always has one of them in his locker. Same with Luiz.

Thought Partey, Saka, Auba and Oodegard were all quiet today, bordering on poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

We have to be by far the unluckiest team this season. How many times have we dropped points when clearly performing better than the other team?

Ah don’t give up.
    Football is like life, frustrating at times, brilliant at other times.
    Don’t let it get you down.

It actually had me fuming. Like out of my mind fuming..BT then brushing over it. **** them all

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Xhaka has been quite good over the last few weeks, but he always has one of them in his locker. Same with Luiz.

Thought Partey, Saka, Auba and Oodegard were all quiet today, bordering on poor.
    I'm not seeing much in Õdegaard so far that would make me think he can add anything important to us.

We have to be by far the unluckiest team this season. How many times have we dropped points when clearly performing better than the other team?

That’s been an Arsenal thing for many years now. Dominating but not getting the rewards. It’s in the mentality.

I'm not seeing much in Õdegaard so far that would make me think he can add anything important to us.

Pepe the same for me. I know he has great ability but he needs to kick on and be consistent. Missing sitters far too often. Today’s miss was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pepe the same for me. I know he has great ability but he needs to kick on and be consistent. Missing sitters far too often. Today’s miss was pathetic.

He’s our most expensive player of all time, like of all time the most expensive.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Soups123 wrote: »
    You can take a poor performance you can accept that in split moments players can make mistakes, even the referee can make a mistake but a VAR official gets as much time as he wants to make a decision. There was no interpretation of that hand ball it was a clear hand ball and that’s not acceptable

I thought it was quite alarming that the referee representative that they have in the studio at BT said he was "quite surprised" that the pen wasn't given. That ref consultant feature always sides with the ref so that was as clear an indictment that you'll ever hear of a VAR decision by a fellow ref.

And then you have Mcmanaman and Fletch on the commentary talking about how great VAR is when they work in Burnelys favour, a fcking farce.

Football was better without VAR. They have made an absolute cats arse out of bringing it in to the game.

Kevin noFriend (of Arsenal) was the Var ref.
    No surprises there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pepe should have started over Willian. Every time he hits form Arteta inexplicably drops him. Taking off Odegaard was a mistake too, this team looks awful without a 10 on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

10th with Spurs, West Ham and Liverpool next. Wenger was hounded out for 5th and 6th, Emery for similar. Its either win the Europa or hit the reset button for me.

We were two points behind Chelsea before Tuchel came in. Arsenal need to become ruthless.

AdamD wrote: »
    Pepe should have started over Willian. Every time he hits form Arteta inexplicably drops him. Taking off Odegaard was a mistake too, this team looks awful without a 10 on the pitch.

Pepe or willian..it's like asking do you want to ride your sister or your mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

That’s been an Arsenal thing for many years now. Dominating but not getting the rewards. It’s in the mentality.

True, just feels like it's never been more obvious as it has been in the past few months. I'd love to see the expected goals stat from today.

Couldn't watch another game all weekend now, a waste of time with that bull**** going on. Rips the joy out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Missed it but sounds like VAR shafted us again. Mental how the standard of officiating has never been this low and VAR was meant to improve the game. What are premier league refs paid for if they can’t get a blatant handball decision right with the help of a back room ref too.

So you didn't watch the first half but your first contribution today was how bad Xhaka has played and how he shouldn't be out there. So your giving your input with absolutely nothing to back it up.

If we were 3-0 up would you have even came into the thread at all. My guess is probably not.

I missed the first half and saw the goal that Xhaka gave away. Maybe it's just me but for a player to make a mistake like that it's almost impossible to say he had a good first half. Maybe he was excellent and more than made up for it, someone want to tell me so?

As for recently, as I said we've not been good recently unless your definition of recently is the last 3 matches (which include a draw with Burnley).

Constantly it's "Oh one bad result or incident and it's Arteta out". If you find yourself referring to a bad result or incident every second match then maybe it's time to pick up in the pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Missed it but sounds like VAR shafted us again. Mental how the standard of officiating has never been this low and VAR was meant to improve the game. What are premier league refs paid for if they can’t get a blatant handball decision right with the help of a back room ref too.

That's why FIFA and UEFA don't select them anymore for international tournaments. They're far too old too. This crap of no-age limit now only promotes mediocrity with out of shape Premier League referees still meandering about when they should have been long gone out the door.

DenMan wrote: »
    That's why FIFA and UEFA don't selct them anymore for international tournaments. They're far too old too. This crap of no-age limit now only promotes mediocrity with out of shape Premier League referees still meandering about when they should have been long gone out the door.

Wenger on English referees.

https://twitter.com/VipArsenal/status/1280789820814569472?s=09

• Advertisement

Nobody absolutely nobody will convince me that there is not a referee bias against Arsenal. I’ve been saying this for over 20 years now and my view is not in any danger of changing after today.
    I’m fairly reasonable about most things in life and not a lot annoys me or angers me. I’m not imagining things either. My views are based on what I see with my own two eyes and on how I see other teams being treated by referees. We simply get more bad decisions on a consistent basis than any other team in the EPL and in my view it’s not down to bad luck.

Nobody absolutely nobody will convince me that there is not a referee bias against Arsenal. I’ve been saying this for over 20 years now and my view is not in any danger of changing after today.
    I’m fairly reasonable about most things in life and not a lot annoys me or angers me. I’m not imagining things either. My views are based on what I see with my own two eyes and on how I see other teams being treated by referees. We simply get more bad decisions on a consistent basis than any other team in the EPL and in my view it’s not down to bad luck.

Agreed 100%...weather they mean to do it or not, it definitely happens.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Agreed 100%...weather they mean to do it or not, it definitely happens.

I have said this to many football men and they just say that bad calls even themselves out over a season. There is no way that Arsenal’s bad calls have evened out. Not even close. They’re not even bad calls at times, they look blatantly like biased calls.

546039.png

League points since Arteta took over with a best-fit line. Progress lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

546039.png

Careful.......any kind of negativity around Arteta goes down like a lead balloon in here by many. He's the messiah in disguise don't ya know. The evidence and results don't lie in my opinion. Maybe he will come good but I just see a floundering, soft, mid table team these days.

• Advertisement

546039.png

What is this, I can’t make any sense of it?

What is this, I can’t make any sense of it?

It's matches from left to right with the dot representative of how many points won. The blue line is the average.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

https://twitter.com/Worville/status/1367775797625446400

Lots of other graphs you can take positives from (that is before today; which was 2.89 vs 1.07 - and we should've had a stonewall penalty to add to that).

Cut out individual errors/get them down to the bare minimum (which Arteta no doubt will, because the people who are making them consistently will eventually be got rid of), keep improving the squad and give the coaching staff adequate time to take the on-field stuff to the next level - very hard to do with a game every few days - and we'll be on the right road.

Arteta is far from flawless as well, he's definitely learning on the job (I thought he nearly ruined the second Benfica match with his second half subs/positional changes), but I personally believe in the project big time.

Short term pain can yield longer term gains. Unfortunately a large part of our current short term pain is plenty of idiotic/mentally soft players, so it's all the more annoying. :pac:

He inherited a sh*t team, it was always going to take a while to turn it around. We done good work in cutting the deadwood in January which was never going to be easy.

I'm not surprised or bothered by the fact we haven't made much progress in the league to date.

As I've posted before though, I need to see progress next season. Free pass has to end some time and 10th should not be an okay position for an Arsenal manager to hang his hat on.

He inherited a sh*t team, it was always going to take a while to turn it around. We done good work in cutting the deadwood in January which was never going to be easy.

I'm not surprised or bothered by the fact we haven't made much progress in the league to date.

As I've posted before though, I need to see progress next season. Free pass has to end some time and 10th should not be an okay position for an Arsenal manager to hang his hat on.

Much as I see it.
    There’s a fair bit of dead wood yet to be removed too. Also with squad we have we should be better than 10th. Many players either hot or cold with no consistency.
    Arteta will have no free pass next season for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

At least he's not completely delusional, just a liability to the team.

I just caught the goal again on the news a while ago, and it's not like that crazy pass across goal was his only option. There's no way you can get that stuff out of his game.

Basil3 wrote: »
    At least he's not completely delusional, just a liability to the team.

I just caught the goal again on the news a while ago, and it's not like that crazy pass across goal was his only option. There's no way you can get that stuff out of his game.

Yes there’s no way he could avoid being honest about that.
    He makes far too many mistakes leading to goals against us. Highest in the EPL apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gus99

546039.png

Can you explain the best fit line?

If you take from Match 36 onwards that is 7 wins, 3 draw, 3 defeats. 24 points from 13 games so 1.85 points per game

Why does the line continue to go down?

x PyRo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Worville/status/1367775797625446400

Lots of other graphs you can take positives from (that is before today; which was 2.89 vs 1.07 - and we should've had a stonewall penalty to add to that).

Cut out individual errors/get them down to the bare minimum (which Arteta no doubt will, because the people who are making them consistently will eventually be got rid of), keep improving the squad and give the coaching staff adequate time to take the on-field stuff to the next level - very hard to do with a game every few days - and we'll be on the right road.

Arteta is far from flawless as well, he's definitely learning on the job (I thought he nearly ruined the second Benfica match with his second half subs/positional changes), but I personally believe in the project big time.

Short term pain can yield longer term gains. Unfortunately a large part of our current short term pain is plenty of idiotic/mentally soft players, so it's all the more annoying. :pac:

From what I can see on that graph last season under Arteta I think there are only 2 matches where xG for is above xG against. Which is actually mental.
    This season it looks like it's about 11/27 which is still pretty pathetic but to be expected while hovering around 10th.

It's been a year and a half and he's still got Xhaka as a nailed-on starter. When's that going to be addressed? Then it'll be another wasted season of a played having to "bed-in" and we'll slide further into irrelevance.

I've asked this before but I just still can't see any logical answer. Aside from his impressive hairline what is it that people are clinging to with Arteta? What is it that he's shown that means that even hints that he deserves so much time to turn things around?
    The next 2 sets of accounts are going to be interesting and pretty depressing. If being mid-table with a mid-table budget is what people are happy with then maybe then I can understand supporting Arteta.

It really is baffling to me. In the last half season I've fully realised that Arsenal are no longer in any way a major club and the longer it continues the longer and harder it will be to turn things back around.
    Deloitte money league:
    2016: 7th
    2017: 7th
    2018: 6th (just overtook PSG)
    2019: 9th (overtaken by Livepool, Chelsea and PSG)
    2020: 11th (overtaken by Spurs and Juventus)

Revenue (millions):
    2016: £435
    2017: £468
    2018: £487
    2019: £439
    2020: £445

In that same time period Liverpool have gone from £392million to £604million.
    United have gone from £520million to £711million.
    Even Chelsea through their struggles have gone from £420million to £513million.
    Spurs more than doubled from £257million to £521million.

Aside from headline financials the club has been run like (and referred to as) a joke for over a decade now. The youth set-up has produced what, half a dozen players in the last 2 decades who you could really call a success and even at that they haven't exactly hit heady heights. Trying to think of the best and it's Ramsey, Bellerin, Wilshere and I'm already struggling to think of more, I'm sure there are a couple though and I will concede I haven't fully fleshed this point out. :pac:

We don't produce talented players. We rarely sign talented players. As I've said a few years ago, how many players have we gotten rid of who went on to great things? Not many and it's been a while. A level of mediocrity has been tolerated at all levels of the club for a long time now and it's gotten worse and is being tolerated in results as well.
    Next year there will be people of legal drinking age who were born after Arsenal last won the league.

I'm sure I'll get the "sure why do you even support the team?" nonsense in reply to ya know, actual facts. And to be honest it's getting harder and harder. It's like when a friend is destroying themselves and ya know that there's nothing you can do to help. And pointing out the problem means you're told that you're the problem, that you're the one who doesn't care or doesn't want what's best.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement