Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Wtf Elneny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haha Elneny the hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Elneny getting ready.
    Just the hero we need to save us

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

DenMan wrote: »
    Elneny!

Yes Mohammed Elneny......Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice strike from Elneny.

He did jhae the time to have a nice picnic and read a good long book before he had to hit it, mind you.

Arteta with an inspired substitution.

Looking forward to seeing the praise he gets in here for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

They backed off him so much, when did he score last, he didn't know how to celebrate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Elneny? He's going to shoot from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They backed off him so much, when did he score last, he didn't know how to celebrate!

Last goal I remember him scoring was against Barca I’m pretty sure

Quazzie wrote: »

Wonder move by Arteta, he knew Elneny was the only man with the killer instinct to put this game to bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ah come on man. Leave it out. Great win hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stupid arteta bringing elneny on.

Quazzie,
    You need to stop digging.
    You know you were wrong.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Ah come on man. Leave it out. Great win hopefully.

If we've to listen to the usual shìte after every goal condeded you can take you medicine when an Arteta substitution has an immediate effect to secure the win.

Bellerin has been very good.

Quazzie,
    You need to stop digging.
    You know you were wrong.

We're winning 3-1. Away. I think I was very much right.

COYG

If we've to listen to the usual shìte after every goal condeded you can take you medicine when an Arteta substitution has an immediate effect to secure the win.

He wasn’t even on the pitch when Gabriel scored was he? And he was hardly brought on to bang in a screamer and put the game to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but no, there is no way Leno is told to do those particular passes. Not a ****ing hope. He is told to play out..not pass it to a guy pinned by two lads. He is picking the wrong passes..his fault and only his fault.

You could not be any more wrong. Go down to you local Leinster senior team, watch them train. 1000% Arteta is drilling this time and time again, Leno is expected to build up play centrally, you think he never wants to kick it long by choice

Concede stupid goals like that one tonight and we won’t beat better teams than these in the future rounds. We all know that. The stupid mistakes have to stop.

• Advertisement

In all fairness even you should be able to admit that an Elneny goal is a 1 in a million shot. Hardly what Arteta had in mind bringing him on. He was more than likely bringing him on to sure up the middle and not give away the ball

He wasn’t even on the pitch when Gabriel scored was he? And he was hardly brought on to bang in a screamer and put the game to bed

So Arteta gets the blame for Leno making a ridiculous pass, but can't get any credit when a sub he just sent on scores.

It either works both ways or no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

I actually think their is a good case to be made for starting Elneny alongside Partey, he suits what Arteta is asking from his centre midfielders a lot more than Xhaka or Ceballos.

Think he gets a bit of a raw deal for being a no frills, steady Eddie type but you could argue that is exactly what this side needs.

The Arteta out business really is boring after every goal conceded. We all know he's a manager that's learning, we all know that some of the players aren't the best, we all know Arsenal should be going for titles and not what we're currently at.

It's a process. What else can you do, sack him...then what? Start again with a new manager and the same players, you'll more than likely have the same result. The manager needs another transfer window and to show us progress in the 2021/22 season, if not then it's adios.

For now this is what we're stuck with so get used to it. There are no quick fixes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Soups123 wrote: »
    You could not be any more wrong. Go down to you local Leinster senior team, watch them train. 1000% Arteta is drilling this time and time again, Leno is expected to build up play centrally, you think he never wants to kick it long by choice

I 150% disagree with you. Told to play a certain way doesn't mean pick the wrong pass..that's decision making by the player..it's not FIFA.. Arteta doesn't control his decision making. He doesn't need to kick it long he just needs to pick the right passes. Make the right decisions. Be a good professional

So Arteta gets the blame for Leno making a ridiculous pass, but can't get any credit when a sub he just sent on scores.

It either works both ways or no way.

Silly. Going by that he should have been lambasted after the Burnley game and other games when we gave away similar goals. No sense to your comments.

• Advertisement

The Arteta out business really is boring after every goal conceded. We all know he's a manager that's learning, we all know that some of the players aren't the best, we all know Arsenal should be going for titles and not what we're currently at.

It's a process. What else can you do, sack him...then what? Start again with a new manager and the same players, you'll more than likely have the same result. The manager needs another transfer window and to show us progress in the 2021/22 season, if not then it's adios.

For now this is what we're stuck with so get used to it. There are no quick fixes here.

It wasn't Arteta out, no one called for his head. People questioned what he is doing in coaching when the team make the same daft errors almost every week. It's up to him to drill it out of them. Or who do you think should be held accountable?

Silly. Going by that he should have been lambasted after the Burnley game and other games when we gave away similar goals. No sense to your comments.
    He was. We had people on here blaming him for the players mistakes. That's exactly the point I'm making.

Good win. That shove the round over unless something crazy happens.
    Now for Spurs on Sunday.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I 150% disagree with you. Told to play a center way doesn't mean pick the wrong pass..that's decision making by the player..it's not FIFA.. Arteta doesn't control his decision making. He doesn't need to kick it long he just needs to pick the right passes. Make the right decisions. Be a good professional

Arteta does control his decision making. If you’ve no concept of what principles of play are in professional football go read up on it.

If Leno doesn’t repeat the coached efforts to build up play central which is exactly how City, Liverpool, Barca also play then he’ll not last long.

Taking a man on, playing it across his goal etc is a Leno error plying the ball centrally to the centre mid who is under pressure is not, it’s always expected that a CM receives a ball under pressure

He was. We had people on here blaming him for the players mistakes. That's exactly the point I'm making.

And my point is that he’s supposed to have them cutting down the number of mistakes. That’s the manager’s job. He’s not doing that and he needs to.

• Advertisement

Good win in the end, Odegaard was pretty impressive tonight. Gabriel is a machine I’d love to see him and Pablo Mari form a partnership, Luiz is terrifying to watch at time.

Leno doesn’t seem to have the brain for the playing out from the back but he shouldn’t really be forced into it either. Surely he knows when to go long though?

Great to see the heads not dropping once the goal went in.

Decent result. Would take some serious Arsenaling to blow it from here. :pac:

It wasn't Arteta out, no one called for his head. People questioned what he is doing in coaching when the team make the same daft errors almost every week. It's up to him to drill it out of them. Or who do you think should be held accountable?

It's the way the game is being played now, we don't have the players to play out from the back but we also don't have the players to play hoofball either. It has to be done, the players need to adapt to it, if they can't they should be moved on, it's the same lads making the mistakes week in week out, we all know the names.

I wouldn't be one to shout Arteta out after every goal conceded, that would be moronic. We do however concede an inordinate amount of stupid goals, Sunday league calibre goals, due to our comical inability to play out from the back.

This is clearly under instruction from the manager who is unwavering in his desire to play it out from the back. Much easier to implement at a club like City where you have a squad filled with wonderful footballers.

I like Arteta on some things. Despite the above he's made us more solid defensively, and I'm in agreement that he needs more time. Next season is make or break for Arteta in my view.

It's the way the game is being played now, we don't have the players to play out from the back but we also don't have the players to play hoofball either. It has to be done, the players need to adapt to it, if they can't they should be moved on, it's the same lads making the mistakes week in week out, we all know the names.

There's a time and a place for tippy tappy bullsh1t in the box and hoofball.
    How many mistakes must be made before they learn, I don't recall any other team making so many similar errors so dam often. Obviously its the players fault but Arteta has to be held accountable in some shape or form. Not calling for his resignation, just pointing out the obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

No, no, no. There no Arteta's out. He has stacks of goodwill from his playing days, and has shown loads of promise as a manager. And of course every single one of us wants him to manage the team to success.

But we do have to ask is the knocking it about in front of goal - which is unquestionably an instruction the players are given - is too risky. And for me the answer is definitely yes, it's way too risky.

That was a good win in the end. I'd prefer see ESR every single time instead of either of our worst-Madrid-side-in-years rejects, but happy enough overall.

You need to read the posts. Nobody called for his head. He needs to stop them making stupid mistakes. The calling for his head will follow if it’s not sorted though.

What’s with your man from the spurs thread thanking posts in this thread when his own team were playing :pac:

Either way 3 - 1 is a great result and id have taken it beforehand. Just a sloppy performance as lets face it, they were pretty poor.
    Id be very worried about coming up against a better team and making the same unforced errors. Let's not forget Luiz and Odegaard almost handed them 2 goals in the first half, a superior team would have buried both chances.
    Cut out the sloppy stuff and we're going fairly well. How Arteta gets them to stop making mistakes is anyones guess

I wouldn't be one to shout Arteta out after every goal conceded, that would be moronic. We do however concede an inordinate amount of stupid goals, Sunday league calibre goals, due to our comical inability to play out from the back.

This is clearly under instruction from the manager who is unwavering in his desire to play it out from the back. Much easier to implement at a club like City where you have a squad filled with wonderful footballers.

I like Arteta on some things. Despite the above he's made us more solid defensively, and I'm in agreement that he needs more time. Next season is make or break for Arteta in my view.

I agree next season is make or break for him, 100%. Let's see what happens in the summer though, let's see if he can get in two or three players who can play the game he wants to play. It didn't work for pep at city at the start but the playing out from the back didn't change, the players were moved on and he got the players he wanted...I'm not saying we can compete with city's spending power but the manager didn't change what he wanted to do.

Believe me I'm just as frustrated as you watching this team. Whats your alternative to the current situation though?

• Advertisement

What’s with your man from the spurs thread thanking posts in this thread when his own team were playing :pac:

He’s a “pet” we adopted. He’s from N. London but didn’t know which team to follow. A bit like a cat. He’ll eat anywhere. No harm in Davy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I noticed that before too. Strange carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It's all risk/reward gentlemen. The risk is too high at the moment, but the philosophy should remain. When we get new players in with the better abilities to suit this play, we will improve inordinately. Stick the course is my humble opinion. I'm confident we'll get there, and soon!

Yes it's frustrating when the brain farts occur, but it's a system I enjoy watching. I think Hector is off in the summer, and while I love his time with the club (I'm a big softie!) he really doesn't suit our style and his pace since his injury hasn't recovered. But what would I know... As somebody told me here a few months ago, I'm only a woman!!!

Fabregas woulda suited this current team down to the ground.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Arteta does control his decision making. If you’ve no concept of what principles of play are in professional football go read up on it.

If Leno doesn’t repeat the coached efforts to build up play central which is exactly how City, Liverpool, Barca also play then he’ll not last long.

Taking a man on, playing it across his goal etc is a Leno error plying the ball centrally to the centre mid who is under pressure is not, it’s always expected that a CM receives a ball under pressure

We all know what he’s trying to do Soups.
    The problem is that we are not doing it well enough and it’s costing us.
    If a player hadn’t the brains or the ability to play a four yard pass then he needs to be got rid of, dropped or made do it over and over again in training until he gets it right. But it’s happening nearly every game. It can be coached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thought Bellerin had a good game. End product and solid at the back

If a player hadn’t the brains or the ability to play a four yard pass then he needs to be got rid of, dropped or made do it over and over again in training until he gets it right. But it’s happening nearly every game. It can be coached.

I agree Tayto to some extent. He said it himself just now, it needs to be better, quicker but he’s not getting enough sessions in because of games.

If we play it long it’s coming back we have no target men. The only way to get it right is to keep at it in games. If we start going long ball this place would lose its ****!

He said it in his interview there its the way he wants to play but it has to be quicker if it’s not shot happens

Leno made the mistake tonight. So he should be dropped in your opinion. Then Matt Ryan comes in. I really doubt he is any better at it. Then what. Onto Runaarson maybe, or perhaps the Youth keeper since we know Runaarson can't do it either.

You can't drop a player for making a mistake when the whole team is adapting to a new style and system of play. Otherwise we'll have no one left to play. We played our best team tonight as a couple here pointed out. Every change from that leads to us being worse, not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

In fairness it's been 10,890 days since they won a trophy other than the league cup so they have to find something to keep themselves entertained I suppose

• Advertisement

Leno made the mistake tonight. So he should be dropped in your opinion. Then Matt Ryan comes in. I really doubt he is any better at it. Then what. Onto Runaarson maybe, or perhaps the Youth keeper since we know Runaarson can't do it either.

You can't drop a player for making a mistake when the whole team is adapting to a new style and system of play. Otherwise we'll have no one left to play. We played our best team tonight as a couple here pointed out. Every change from that leads to us being worse, not better.

You picked one of the three options I gave.
    We have lost 11 league matches several because of mistakes like tonight. So your answer is just to let it go and eventually everything will sort itself out. One of the signs of madness is to continue doing the same thing but expecting different results.
    This has to be coached out of them. If you can’t do that then the other two options have to be tried. Change them and if it still doesn’t work then get rid of.
    The coach is Arteta. It’s his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement