Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You picked one of the three options I gave.
    We have lost 11 league matches several because of mistakes like tonight. So your answer is just to let it go and eventually everything will sort itself out. One of the signs of madness is to continue doing the same thing but expecting different results.
    This has to be coached out of them. If you can’t do that then the other two options have to be tried. Change them and if it still doesn’t work then get rid of.
    The coach is Arteta. It’s his job.

Arteta has said tonight that he is coaching it, but he has limited time to do it because they play every 3rd day. These kind of things don't just happen over night. It takes time an we're a club in transition. The supporters of the club need to be patient with the process. Mistakes have happened, and they will again. But over time they will become less, until they are gone. Whether that's down to coaching or down to more suitable players being brought in, but if Arteta is to be successful one or the other has to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Leno has definitely improved this season and I’m happy enough with him now but I’m not sure he’ll ever be quite good enough to play the ball out the way Arteta wants him to. He did it to Xhaka the other day and Ceballos last night. I’m sure he’s done it before too. When there’s a high press on he just seems so eager to offload the ball that anybody will do

Leno definitely played a major part in the goal, but the decision by Ceballos to try a risky cut past the player near him was shocking. He could see the player in front of him, and instead of turning away into space, he tried to beat him and messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Rubbish.
    It’s up to the manager to manage a team.
    Not stopping this stupid defending is neglect of his duty.
    These silly mistakes are happening in every game by crazy defending.
    He needs to sort it out. That’s his job.

a manager cant stop these mistakes, its up to the players!

We all know what he’s trying to do Soups.
    The problem is that we are not doing it well enough and it’s costing us.
    If a player hadn’t the brains or the ability to play a four yard pass then he needs to be got rid of, dropped or made do it over and over again in training until he gets it right. But it’s happening nearly every game. It can be coached.

his dropped some of them already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think the point is, between Luiz's first half error (which really should have been punished) & the goal itself we could easily have lost a game that we were by far the better team in & thats criminal, top teams simply dont do that to themselves as regularly as we do. Its all well & good improving your overall play & improving as a team in general but if any team continues to then undermine all that good work through easily avoidable errors then you're at such a disadvantage its almost impossible to build a teams confidence in itself. I know the current style is to build from the back and the team is being coached to do so, but surely at some point these players have to know not to pass the ball to the one guy in front of you marked by 2 players and to look at alternative passing options, and if under pressure to release the ball (as per Luiz's brainf*rt) lump it and allow yourself to reset rather than play a suicidal ball to the opposition. No coach will criticise either action despite whats being said in training. No greater punishment that conceding a goal afterall.

Either way, thankfully Olympiacos were no great shakes and we managed to overcome our own mistakes and win comfortably, the big positives being Partey getting more game time (though didnt look that happy on the night) Bellerin looked solid enough despite his clear loss of pace, and Odegaard had IMO his best game in an Arsenal shirt and showed something of what he is capable of. Gabriel looked solid (& what a header for the goal) & I'd really like to see him 7 Mari get a run together. Tierney for me is still our player of the year though, the chap oozes class & determination & can sh*t house with the best of them. Love him.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Of course it can be coached.
    It is also up to the players ie if someone has two men around him then don’t pass to him. It’s actually common sense. Some players don’t seem to have any at times though.
    Also you don’t have to play out from the back all the time. A long ball can work too especially when the opposition are up pressing.
    Ultimate it’s the coach who is supposed to coach this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Come off it now.....surely you can accept that its a big part of the managers remit to coach this out? You can tell by the players that they either are not listening to him or don't care when they continue to make these schoolboy errors. Either way, he doesn't seem to be resolving them but he does have responsibility to resolve them.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Come off it now.....surely you can accept that its a big part of the managers remit to coach this out? You can tell by the players that they either are not listening to him or don't care when they continue to make these schoolboy errors. Either way, he doesn't seem to be resolving them but he does have responsibility to resolve them.

So Wenger, Emery and now arteta can't "coach" liability player's?

You come off it now.

You can't coach a dead horse. Luiz is a lost cause but so are most of our cb.

We can't get rid of all of them in one go!

Bar Gabriel and tinary, they all liability!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

So Wenger, Emery and now arteta can't "coach" liability player's?

You come off it now.

You can't coach a dead horse. Luiz is a lost cause but so are most of our cb.

We can't get rid of all of them in one go!

Bar Gabriel and tinary, they all liability!

Arteta was the man to give Luiz a new contract and put a stop to Xhaka leaving, knowing how unreliable and error prone they both are. When Arteta makes the decision to keep them at the club and decides to play them, every error they make is on Arteta

• Advertisement

darego wrote: »
    Arteta was the man to give Luiz a new contract and put a stop to Xhaka leaving, knowing how unreliable and error prone they both are. When Arteta makes the decision to keep them at the club and decides to play them, every error they make is on Arteta

That's because we couldn't afford anyone else.

And xhaka hasn't made much brain fart mistakes as much as most of our cb.

The point Is u can't just sack off all the crap players overnight.

If we did,we would have no full squad to Field...

We've already got rid of mustafi and that Greek guy who played against us last night.

You can't just get rid of luiz, chamber's and bellerin as well.

You rebuild bit by bit

That's because we couldn't afford anyone else.

And xhaka hasn't made much brain fart mistakes as much as most of our cb.

The point Is u can't just sack off all the crap players overnight.

If we did,we would have no full squad to Field...

We've already got rid of mustafi and that Greek guy who played against us last night.

You can't just get rid of luiz, chamber's and bellerin as well.

You rebuild bit by bit

I don't believe it was about money because we would have made a bit from selling Xhaka and not giving Luiz a decent contract extension. Arteta could have went with 100s of different scenarios, sure we could have kept Sokratis and Torreira instead for example. I think Arteta actually believes in Luiz and Xhaka, which is a bit worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

darego wrote: »
    I don't believe it was about money because we would have made a bit from selling Xhaka and not giving Luiz a decent contract extension. Arteta could have went with 100s of different scenarios, sure we could have kept Sokratis and Torreira instead for example. I think Arteta actually believes in Luiz and Xhaka, which is a bit worrying

Do you think Sokratis would be better at playing with the ball at his feet than Luiz?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do you think Sokratis would be better at playing with the ball at his feet than Luiz?

We can measure the small amount of half decent long ball passes Luiz offers us per game vs the amount of points he costs us. There is absolutely nothing Luiz can offer the team that is worth more than the amount of points he costs us. I would take Sokratis, Mari, Holding over him all day long, even though they all have their own weaknesses, they will not cost us even close to the amount of points Luiz does

OmegaGene wrote: »
    torreira wanted to leave, he was not happy in london

it was just an example. Arteta had choices, he decided to keep him because he believes in him

football managers are not in control of contracts these days, wenger was the last of the old school manager in charge of the entire thing
    So we have to wonder who gave Luiz the extension - Edu maybe

you are probably right there, but surely Arteta had some say. we just don't know for sure I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Quazzie wrote: »

Knowing Sokratis for all his career, not a hope.
    His strong attribute is positioning, he is a rather old school defender. Though I rate him, I think it was the right decision to let him go, also considering his age. He can't fit with what appears to be Arteta's philosophy.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind Luiz that much. I have resigned to the fact that brain farts will always be part of his game but he is good with the ball and for a defender his passing is fairly good. I caught him a few times on games "searching" for the long ball, but our midfield isn't always mobile enough to receive it. Despite his age I think he is a good option to have in certain games against teams that wouldn't be very threatening and we would have the possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Knowing Sokratis for all his career, not a hope.
    His strong attribute is positioning, he is a rather old school defender. Though I rate him, I think it was the right decision to let him go, also considering his age. He can't fit with what appears to be Arteta's philosophy.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind Luiz that much. I have resigned to the fact that brain farts will always be part of his game but he is good with the ball and for a defender his passing is fairly good. I caught him a few times on games "searching" for the long ball, but our midfield isn't always mobile enough to receive it. Despite his age I think he is a good option to have in certain games against teams that wouldn't be very threatening and we would have the possession.

I like Luiz as well - and Xhaka too, ideally he could lose the occasional momentary lapse of reason but I think what he brings the team justifies his inclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

George Graham: "I’ve been hearing he [Arteta] does very well on the training ground; the players really rate him highly. I think its just a matter of eliminating those big mistakes during matches. Recently, I’ve seen them play in certain areas of the game & they are outstanding"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How many goals have we conceded since Christmas that weren't from glaring individual errors? I honestly can't think of many.

If we could cut those out we'd be doing very well defensively in my opinion.

I'm aware that's a big if.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    George Graham: "I’ve been hearing he [Arteta] does very well on the training ground; the players really rate him highly. I think its just a matter of eliminating those big mistakes during matches. Recently, I’ve seen them play in certain areas of the game & they are outstanding"

Everyone agrees that it’s a matter of eliminating mistakes.
    It’s not happening though.

Everyone agrees that it’s a matter of eliminating mistakes.
    It’s not happening though.

There’s been a huge improvement on the defence overall. You think the errors will always remain? I think they can be reduced through coaching and then significantly so with new personnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

We had been by far the worst team in the league without the ball for years, even when Emery was in charge. Relegation teams regularly cut up apart for 20+ goal attempts.

The defensive structure & pressing have come on in leaps and bounds. The string of individual errors have hit us hard but that can happen when you're switching to a new high-risk system with sub-standard players. I'd have more faith in Arteta getting it right than of the board choosing the next manager.

L'prof wrote: »
    There’s been a huge improvement on the defence overall. You think the errors will always remain? I think they can be reduced through coaching and then significantly so with new personnel

I’m talking about the present, this season we have had far too many and at present nothing is changing. I don’t believe that some of these players can change either. Luiz has been error prone for most if not all his career. I cringe when I see him get possession and someone closing him down. Xhaka much the same and now Leno has seemingly caught the bug. It used to be Mustafi but he’s gone and still we have the same mistakes.
    Hopefully they will be seriously reduced, they have to be. We will win nothing making mistakes that lead to goals like last night, last Sat and many other games. Every mistake seems to cost us.

I’m talking about the present, this season we have had far too many and at present nothing is changing. I don’t believe that some of these players can change either. Luiz has been error prone for most if not all his career. I cringe when I see him get possession and someone closing him down. Xhaka much the same and now Leno has seemingly caught the bug. It used to be Mustafi but he’s gone and still we have the same mistakes.
    Hopefully they will be seriously reduced, they have to be. We will win nothing making mistakes that lead to goals like last night, last Sat and many other games. Every mistake seems to cost us.

Ah yeah, same really. There’ll definitely be more gaffs before the season’s out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nelson, nketiah and Balogun all playing tonight with Balogun wearing the captains arm band

Nice! Hope all goes well. If Newcastle can get something against Villa too tonight that'll also be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is it safe to assume Nketiah and Nelson have no future at Arsenal at this stage?

Nelson, nketiah and Balogun all playing tonight with Balogun wearing the captains arm band

Any recipe to watch this?

EDIT: FORGET IT!!! Losing 3-0

It's on twitch here: https://www.twitch.tv/arsenalofficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Good news

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1370790864923070464?s=19

Everyone fit and available for selection
    When was the last time we have a fully fit squad?

We also gave our old physio to Liverpool and now have a depleted squad. Coincidence?

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    We also gave our old physio to Liverpool and now have a depleted squad. Coincidence?

Did we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

emmetlego wrote: »
    Did we?

Chris Morgan. He was only at Arsenal for 2 years though, having spent the previous decade with Liverpool. Steven Gerrard talked a lot about how good he was for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we have the highest numbers over the years for players getting injured and I didn’t notice any change in the two years that fella was with us tbh

He's not done much good with Liverpool this season either, so perhaps not the direction to be looking at alright :P

Let’s hope we can keep Kane scoreless today. He’s nearly always on the scoresheet against us. It would be lovely to score early ourselves, maybe twice, and we can enjoy comfortable win for a change.
    I’ll watch the first half of the rugby too and hopefully we’ll have that put to bed early too.
    It will be interesting to see what team Arteta will select

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really hope we show up today and have hunger and passion, we are capable of beating them if we dont beat ourselves with an early goal against us given to them on a platter. Need our big players to show up and do the bizzo

COYG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Martinelli not in the squad for today. Not injured either.

• Advertisement

Martinelli not in the squad for today. Not injured either.

Something going on behind the scenes. He played well when we last saw him but hadn’t featured at all since. A busy wee player with a trick or two and a lot of speed who is not afraid to take on defenders and make things happen,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Looking forward to the game today. Also looking forward to my dinner first, roast beef, gravy and mashed spuds. Then onto the game afterwards. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Auba not starting apparently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmm. Interesting.

Still a very strong team. Didn't Lacazette score a cracker in this last season?

• Advertisement

Auba left on the bench for discipline reasons according to Arteta. Bad enough to not start but not bad enough to be left out of the squad...not sure what to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bizarre about Auba. Dropped for disciplinery reasons but still on the bench?
    Big game for a move like that...
    Wonder what went on, think Arteta could have given some other excuse an hour before the nld

Auba left on the bench for discipline reasons according to Arteta. Bad enough to not start but not bad enough to be left out of the squad...not sure what to believe

Very strange story.
    You’re either dropped or you’re not.
    Being on the bench yet dropped is silly.
    Wonder what’s going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Really not great to voice it publicly before the game.

Really poor to voice it publicly before the game too.

And Martinelli not even on the bench???
    His discipline must have been even worse 😂😂🎂

Really not great to voice it publicly before the game.

Very poor from Arteta. A more experienced manager surely wouldn't have voiced it publicly before the game. Does nothing but give the other team a little confidence boost.

Still confident about the game. Great looking team bar Auba being left out. Happy to see ESR starting again also

I saw a suggestion on the Athletic that it might be the fact that Auba always gets a star shaved into his hair for the NLD, maybe he had someone outside his bubble contact him again.

I agree it's poor of Arteta to mention it before kick off though when he could have easily said he had a slight knock or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

That is madness from Arteta to go public with that, ffs what is he thinking at all.

And that's without even mentioning the dithery half measure he's taken by putting him on the bench. If he's breached the code of conduct then you leave him out of the squad altogether and tell the media he has a knock. He's made a complete balls of this here.

If we win it won't matter but if we lose...it's gonna be brought up again and again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement