Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We put a stop to Vardy's usual tricks the other week too.

Feeling pretty positive right now.

(Except the game on Thursday is at 5 to 6 or something. Which is too early, I'll still be working. Boooo!)

Just on this, fans have been very quick to murder Luiz when he fcuks up and there were a lot of moaning when he was given a new contract but he has been immense in recent games and a real leader as well.

He will always have the brain farts but when he is on it, and with Arteta's desire to play it out from the back, he is a massive player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

blanch152 wrote: »
    The argument made by some pundits on the penalty was that the ball was gone as Lacazette had already sliced it. Listening to them I wondered when did a late tackle become legal.

Sanchez made contact after Lacazette had played the ball in a late tackle and made no connection with the ball. That made it a penalty. All day everyday.

How many times have you seen Hazard or Sterling hit the ball one way and run a completely different way into a defender to win a penalty? Sky pundits are laughable these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So we've beaten United, Chelsea & Spurs in the league this season with terribly out of form Liverpool to come.

Gotta be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

So we've beaten United, Chelsea & Spurs in the league this season with terribly out of form Liverpool to come.

Absolutely! Hope Wolves give Liverpool a good game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'd be a lot more happy with it if we hadn't thrown away a sh1tload of points against "lesser" opposition. We've been substantially better than United in the big games, yet they are 2nd at the end of the day and we are 10th. Need to do the same next season without taking October and November off and we might have a proper team on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Those last 10 minutes yesterday, I mean WTF. You could see Partey was exhausted etc, but the passing just went out the window, and I actually think the space created for Moura by Lamela going off, actually suited them and him in particular, but my God we were nervous looking.

Still, have a good feeling today. That was a big victory. I have a really good feeling about the direction that Arteta is taking this team. We had a Jose team fully on the back foot, a team who were top a few weeks back and it felt all very good. Apart from this f***** 10 minutes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'd be a lot more happy with it if we hadn't thrown away a sh1tload of points against "lesser" opposition. We've been substantially better than United in the big games, yet they are 2nd at the end of the day and we are 10th. Need to do the same next season without taking October and November off and we might have a proper team on our hands.

I think the team will learn from those losses and thrown away points.
    Arteta needs to decide on his strongest eleven too. It’s good to have competition for nearly every position ie Bellerin v Cedric.

I think the team will learn from those losses and thrown away points.
    Arteta needs to decide on his strongest eleven too. It’s good to have competition for nearly every position ie Bellerin v Cedric.

Still feel we need an upgrade on Bellerin and Xhaka to take us to the next level. Also replacements for Ceballos and especially Martin Odegaard unless we sign permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

emmetlego wrote: »
    Still feel we need an upgrade on Bellerin and Xhaka to take us to the next level. Also replacements for Ceballos and especially Martin Odegaard unless we sign permanently.
    I think we already have the upgrade on Bellerin Soares was brilliant yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think we need to seriously look at trying to get Odegaards permanently. I get the impression he's enjoying his time at the club and seems to have integrated into the squad well, he's be a great addition if we could manage to pull it off. Shame its Real Madrid to be dealt with though, they'll probably stick a 80m price tag on him because they need the cash & thats that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

DvB wrote: »
    I think we need to seriously look at trying to get Odegaards permanently. I get the impression he's enjoying his time at the club and seems to have integrated into the squad well, he's be a great addition if we could manage to pull it off. Shame its Real Madrid to be dealt with though, they'll probably stick a 80m price tag on him because they need the cash & thats that.

I wonder what fee would it take to get him? Would it be as high as 80? Real bought him for about 3 or 4 million. Im not us sure he'll ever make it there and he does seem happy with Arsenal. But as you say, Real aren't the easiest to deal with

DvB wrote: »

I dunno, they've never really fleeced us for a player all the same. Ozil was probably market value at £42m (had he played to his potential all along he could even have been a bargain). Real Madrid never seem to care about money because they have been funded in the past by banks and local government. They are a very strangely ran club. Even City and Abramovich's Chelsea have been ran with more prudence.

We've had Ceballos on loan for two seasons and now Odegaard. We've done okay out of them overall. We landed Suker for 1m back in 1999 alongside the 22 or so million we pocketed for Anelka in more or less the same deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I dunno, they've never really fleeced us for a player all the same. Ozil was probably market value at £42m (had he played to his potential all along he could even have been a bargain). Real Madrid never seem to care about money because they have been funded in the past by banks and local government. They are a very strangely ran club. Even City and Abramovich's Chelsea have been ran with more prudence.

We've had Ceballos on loan for two seasons and now Odegaard. We've done okay out of them overall. We landed Suker for 1m back in 1999 alongside the 22 or so million we pocketed for Anelka in more or less the same deal.

Also if Ødegaard comes out and says he only wants to join Arsenal it'll push his price down also as there will be no bidding from other clubs.

Azatadine wrote: »

This kid is one of my favourite signings in years.

Not exactly a hot take, granted, but he is fantastic.

Torreira on the bench for Atletico tonight against Chelsea. Don't think Simeone will be keeping him beyond the summer.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Arteta was asked about gab and for there’s a reason he hasn’t played

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMhcUrng1DY/?igshid=1ajkf2ee8dmub

Odd that because Martinelli was playing better than a lot of them when he was dropped or not selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arteta was asked about gab and for there’s a reason he hasn’t played

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMhcUrng1DY/?igshid=1ajkf2ee8dmub

I was listening to Wrighty’s podcast today from a couple of weeks ago and he reckons there’s nothing to be gained by bringing him back too quickly. He couldn’t speak highly enough of him and he’s so excited to see what he’ll bring in the years to come but with the options we have now and the injuries he’s had he’s happy enough if Arteta takes his time bringing him back

L'prof wrote: »
    I was listening to Wrighty’s podcast today from a couple of weeks ago and he reckons there’s nothing to be gained by bringing him back too quickly. He couldn’t speak highly enough of him and he’s so excited to see what he’ll bring in the years to come but with the options we have now and the injuries he’s had he’s happy enough if Arteta takes his time bringing him back

Wasn’t he already back after the injury?

• Advertisement

Odd that because Martinelli was playing better than a lot of them when he was dropped or not selected.

He hasn't been in form since his injury, and I think he was rushed back a little quickly. He'll get there.

I seem to remember him getting injured again in a warm up before a game

Ok, I thought he was back since that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

There have been rumours of a rift between Arteta and martinelli and that’s why he wasn’t selected even though he’s fit, sounds like that was all nonsense

Yeah that's def bollox talk

emmetlego wrote: »

I actually think Bellerins okay under Arteta. Xhaka has the odd brainfart but hasn't been too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I actually think Bellerins okay under Arteta. Xhaka has the odd brainfart but hasn't been too bad.

Nah, Bellerin is not consistent enough for me. He is prolly upping his game because Cedric is playing better. IF we got good money for him in the summer I would bite the hand off them for the dosh!

Arteta has to play Martinelli for the return leg, madness if he doesnt. At least 70 mins, unless the lad is injured.

COYG

Looking forward to this evening's game. We're the earlier time and It's live on Virgin Media Two. 17:55 KO

• Advertisement

Stupid time for a bloody match.

Come on Arsenal!

Stupid time for a bloody match.

Come on Arsenal!

It was the same with the Utd match last week as they were the earlier time. I wonder will Auba start tonight now. Hope Martinelli plays. COYG

I’d say Auba will start. Put the other thing to bed for once and for all. Unless he’s late again!!!

Saka with a minor injury seemingly.
    Hope Martinelli starts.

Team news in 40 mins, it's 1hr 15 mins before kick off for European ties.

• Advertisement

Saka is the sole Arsenal man named in Southgate's 3 game England squad today.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56440087

Auba back in the starting team. COYG

Leno, Bellerin, Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney, Ceballos, Elneny, Xhaka, Pepe, Auba, Smith-Rowe

https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1372588985831264260/azQpCGh8?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

A midfield trio of Elneny, Ceballos and Xhaka is not good enough for this club at any time, never mind in what is our biggest game left of the season, considering European qualification is all but out of reach via the league. Yes, I know we don’t have much else with Partey not in, just saying, it’s not nice to look at an arsenal team sheet with the calibre of those 3 on it, considering our past midfields. Anyway...

Very confident tonight we will qualify, don’t care how but I don’t think olympiakos have any hope of catching us again.

Just that midfield three tell you all about how arteta is approaching this one with a 3-1 lead.

Vamos gunners!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Saka and Willian out minor injury probably or precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Glad Partey is getting a breather. Watching on BT sports but might have to switch over as Keown is in studio and I'm sure they'll have McManaman co-commentating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Xhaka plays again. I guess that's why he picks up so many suspensions! To get a rest!

Here we go guys! COYG

greendom wrote: »
    Xhaka plays again. I guess that's why he picks up so many suspensions! To get a rest!

They should be taking him off for a rest whenever we go 2 up.

Hope ESR is ok.

Hope ESR is ok.

Despite the bad things for & from the club this season, his emergence plus some of the other young lads - Saka & Tierney primarily - have me overall feeling optimistic about the future. Very optimistic.

Christ knows I've been negative enough at times this year, but now I really think our young manager and this crowd honestly could develop into something special.

• Advertisement

Pepe very unlucky there.
    Didn’t think he’d get to that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So close from Pepe. Very unlucky with that one.

Would've been offside if that went in surely. Still they've a corner from it.

Thought Leno should have come out for that but he saved it well anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Strange attempt from auba there...

Poor from Auba there.

Has to finish that. Very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Very bad.

Not a very stylish player but Elneny never stops running, looking for the ball and tracking back. He’s some trier. Covers an awful lot of ground.

• Advertisement

F*ckin too sloppy, lads.

Loads of them at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement