Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Jeez Tayto you're a hard man to please. If you can't get any joy from pulling round a 3 0 deficit I'm not sure football is for you! Certainly supporting Arsenal anyway!

I dunno. Good to see them pull it out of the fire and all but they still didn’t win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There's no way he goes for 70 million in this climate , think about it he's never been a 1st team player at Real and has been farmed out on loan every year , and he's on pretty low wages aswell , I definitely think 40 million (euros) is more realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Azatadine

L'prof wrote: »
    I dunno. Good to see them pull it out of the fire and all but they still didn’t win

Could easily have lost it even after levelling it too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The football was poor. I like fast, crisp passing like we used to play. From back to front and often scoring in 8/9 seconds. Not playing out to halfway and then passing all the way back.
    I’m not talking about the comeback which was good though, I’m talking about the style of play.

On the game, especially there first half, I really was saddened by the goals we conceded. We weren’t even looking at the ball for their third. No forgiving that.

What about Odegaard? I really enjoyed watching him. Improving every game. The first 35 minutes were dire but West Ham are excellent this season and we gave them a 3 0 head start. We pulled it round despite our best striker pulling a stinker and our much vaunted new midfielder not performing at the level you would expect. Definitely glass half full for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What about Odegaard? I really enjoyed watching him. Improving every game. The first 35 minutes were dire but West Ham are excellent this season and we gave them a 3 0 head start. We pulled it round despite our best striker pulling a stinker and our much vaunted new midfielder not performing at the level you would expect. Definitely glass half full for me.

I know where you’re coming from.
    I’m inclined to think “ why were we 3 down in the first place?”.
    Odegaard was fine in the second half in particular and hopefully he keeps this up. He wasn’t hectic in some earlier games though so I’m hoping it’s not just a spike.
    For a high fee we’d really want to be sure so I’ll reserve my judgement until later.
    I’m not really too worried by our attack. I think Aubamayang will come good again but he should be hooked off earlier when playing poorly. Partey needs to get up to full fitness and Xhaka sometimes infuriates me, both were very average today.

• Advertisement

I know where you’re coming from.
    I’m inclined to think “ why were we 3 down in the first place?”.
    Odegaard was fine in the second half in particular and hopefully he keeps this up. He wasn’t hectic in some earlier games though so I’m hoping it’s not just a spike.
    For a high fee we’d really want to be sure so I’ll reserve my judgement until later.
    I’m not really too worried by our attack. I think Aubamayang will come good again but he should be hooked off earlier when playing poorly. Partey needs to get up to full fitness and Xhaka sometimes infuriates me, both were very average today.

Of course why are we 3 goals down is the crux of the matter but coming back from a heavy deficit is one of the joys of supporting a club for me. It feels like a win. Just like the reverse such as the 4 - 4 with Newcastle feels like a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Think I'm probably viewing things a bit different to most here (surprise surprise says you!)

Obviously delighted with the reaction to going 3 down, from the last 15 mins of the1st half and most of the 2nd half, I thought we were super. Dominated them.

Actually think Partey was quite good today too.Seemed to be the most progressive passer of the ball (apart from MO) and think he was nicely aggressive. Xhaka really showed how one footed he is today. The Hammers played him very cutely, pushing him onto his right foot every time, and he chickens out of it. Noticed it at the start, and it became so obvious throughout the game.

West Ham have been going very well this season, so this result is no disgrace, not good enough, but no disgrace at all.

That first 30 minutes were a disgrace. Leno was awful, even KT made a howler. Linngard's opener was just one of those moments of magic, but everything after that, came from us. Switching off, lazy and sloppy. A complete contrast to the last hour of the game. I always felt we could get back in it, even when 3-0 down. Delighted I stayed watching it. With that other lot winning, puts 6 between us for Totteringhams day. Still a prospect for bragging rights to be restored! Our run in is somewhat OK I think.

Anyway COYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

FixitFelix wrote: »
    In fairness I thought he meant 70 is a stretch as in hes gonna go for alot more.

This Is what I meant

Of course why are we 3 goals down is the crux of the matter but coming back from a heavy deficit is one of the joys of supporting a club for me. It feels like a win. Just like the reverse such as the 4 - 4 with Newcastle feels like a loss.

I know most people will feel the same way.
    I’m a bit different. I can’t understand the lack of effort in the first half. We didn’t touch the ball in the first 10 minutes at all. We were bossed all over the field. Far too many players completely off their game. I question the attitude of some of them or the lack of effort or focus at the start of an away game when usually you’re told to stay strong and focussed and don’t concede early. But the comeback was great and they really got into it and might even have won although it could also have gone the other way.
    I always like good defending and enjoy watching it especially when years ago we went 1 up and you just knew we’d hold onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just on Odegaard, was there many clubs in for him? You would think if a player is valued at 70 odd million or whatever then surely bigger clubs than ourselves and Sociedad would be looking for him

We need to keep this guy, reminds me of Fabregas at his best

• Advertisement

We need to keep this guy, reminds me of Fabregas at his best

Now I'm a fan of this kid, but that is lofty praise indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

emmetlego wrote: »
    Think I'm probably viewing things a bit different to most here (surprise surprise says you!)

Obviously delighted with the reaction to going 3 down, from the last 15 mins of the1st half and most of the 2nd half, I thought we were super. Dominated them.

Actually think Partey was quite good today too.Seemed to be the most progressive passer of the ball (apart from MO) and think he was nicely aggressive. Xhaka really showed how one footed he is today. The Hammers played him very cutely, pushing him onto his right foot every time, and he chickens out of it. Noticed it at the start, and it became so obvious throughout the game.

West Ham have been going very well this season, so this result is no disgrace, not good enough, but no disgrace at all.

That first 30 minutes were a disgrace. Leno was awful, even KT made a howler. Linngard's opener was just one of those moments of magic, but everything after that, came from us. Switching off, lazy and sloppy. A complete contrast to the last hour of the game. I always felt we could get back in it, even when 3-0 down. Delighted I stayed watching it. With that other lot winning, puts 6 between us for Totteringhams day. Still a prospect for bragging rights to be restored! Our run in is somewhat OK I think.

Anyway COYG.

Think KT made 2 howlers, the blind pass inside and then he was closest to the free and just turned his back.
    Agree that we played some excellent stuff but it is easy to play when you are 3 down as you have nothing to lose. Hammers are a good team but for me there is still a weakness in our mental attitude that we seem to think we are superior to teams without working hard enough to show that. Thursday night was an example as was today, we are not good enough not to be at it from the off, if we don’t start until 25 mins in or 2nd half then the game could be dead and buried and gone as has happened us already this season.
    On the plus side I thought Chambers was excellent and also Ødegaard who is really starting to show what he can do in terms of link play and disguise of a pass and he is only 22. I would be delighted if we signed him as he has no ceiling to how good he could be.

Now I'm a fan of this kid, but that is lofty praise indeed!

I know but look at his movement and vision today Emmet, he's only been in a few weeks but looks the real deal. Fabulous was 24? When he left us, Odegaard is 22 and just made Norway captain.

I know but look at his movement and vision today Emmet, he's only been in a few weeks but looks the real deal. Fabulous was 24? When he left us, Odegaard is 22 and just made Norway captain.

Look, I love the look of this kid, but the sample size is too small to compare to Cesc!

On another note, I backed Partey earlier against the grain. Here is some support for my view.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1373683243778723842?s=20

Look, I love the look of this kid, but the sample size is too small to compare to Cesc!

On another note, I backed Partey earlier against the grain. Here is some support for my view.

Totally agree

Playing devil's advocate maybe but Odegaard wants this. I met Fab in 2006?! 19 ish and he wanted continuity.. Martin hasn't had that until maybe now. The dressing room love him. He's only 22 and there's a reason he's named Norway captain

Partey misses his dad.... They would be regular meets pre covid, not now, it's impacted him

The joint most tackles is 2 ??? In the entire game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If Bellerin is off to Barca/PSG between Soares and Chambers we have RB covered Chambers crossed 4/5 balls today that Bellerin would of put in the stands.

Whaaaaat!!! This has actually blown my mind. He was in the first team so long I was sure he was much older when he left!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

dinorebel wrote: »
    If Bellerin is off to Barca/PSG between Soares and Chambers we have RB covered Chambers crossed 4/5 balls today that Bellerin would of put in the stands.

I'd say RB will be a huge priority for the summer when you see the impact having a proper left back in Tierney. Cedric and Chambers are nothing but backup - at best - for any aspiring club. Hope we go after Hakimi, a few ITK types seem to think there's interest there.

x PyRo wrote: »
    I'd say RB will be a huge priority for the summer when you see the impact having a proper left back in Tierney. Cedric and Chambers are nothing but backup - at best - for any aspiring club. Hope we go after Hakimi, a few ITK types seem to think there's interest there.

I don’t know anything about him but he only signed a 5 year deal with Inter this season. Doesn’t sound likely. Agree 100% on the need to sign somebody though. Even Chambers & Cedric seem to contribute far more going forward than Bellerin

• Advertisement

I don’t know anything about him but he only signed a 5 year deal with Inter this season. Doesn’t sound likely. Agree 100% on the need to sign somebody though. Even Chambers & Cedric seem to contribute far more going forward than Bellerin

They're meant to be tight on € so hopefully there could be something to be done! Lamptey would be deadly either but he's only half an inch higher than a duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Aren't Inter having serious financial problems? Missed out on payments to utd for Lukaku, owners other club in same position aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's amazing, we literally played yesterday and I'm already thinking when will this bloody international break end?

That's because we only played half a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's because we only played half a game!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Watched yer game the other days lads and one thing after it really made me laugh .

Declan Rice makes a gallop down the pitch on 85 mins and the commentators nearly piss themselves. Good run but he should have been taken out of it .

But all the talk afterwards online and media is how Utd have to sign Rice for 80 million , what a great player . No mention of the fact that he was given the absolute run around by Odegaard for 90 mins and couldn’t lay a hand on him .

Ye have some player there , hope ye can manage to get a deal over the line. Looks very similar style to David Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Liverpool now on a Saturday 3rd April as their UCL against Madrid is on a Tuesday.

Need to get maximum points then Europa for us against Slavia Prague.

Good thing both ties are home games

tastyt wrote: »
    Watched yer game the other days lads and one thing after it really made me laugh .

Declan Rice makes a gallop down the pitch on 85 mins and the commentators nearly piss themselves. Good run but he should have been taken out of it .

But all the talk afterwards online and media is how Utd have to sign Rice for 80 million , what a great player . No mention of the fact that he was given the absolute run around by Odegaard for 90 mins and couldn’t lay a hand on him .

Ye have some player there , hope ye can manage to get a deal over the line. Looks very similar style to David Silva

That's not you Tay(s)to in disguise is it

Real interesting rumbling going on Twitter.... If you had to keep either Auba or Laca in the summer which one would you choose and why

I'm personally edging Laca at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Real interesting rumbling going on Twitter.... If you had to keep either Auba or Laca in the summer which one would you choose and why

Probably Lacazette to be fair, younger, more well rounded and not as expensive as Aubameyang who has been one of my favourite players of the past few years but was a real let down this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

For me this is a mad question but I do understand it atm.

Auba is a vastly superior striker but he really needs support when things aren't going well, a lot of strikers do. Laca is more like a terrier who realises he's not at his best but bulldozes through. Atm, the bulldozer approach is working but I fully expect Auba to come good again. A hat-trick only a month ago. He's hardly lost it. Auba is in a different league to Laca. I would sell Laca in a heartbeat, I've always said it.

Auba and it's not even close tbh. He annoys me at the best of times and his technical skill is often atrocious for a world class striker, but when he's played up top or in that left half space and not on the wing, there aren't many better movers in/around the box than him.

Lacazette is immobile (looks fitter lately in fairness to him) and has never scored more than 14 in a league season. He'll never, ever be good enough for a top club - Auba will be again at some point but recency bias has somehow made this a general discussion!

Laca's all round game is much better. When Auba isn't scoring goals he contributes very little. But as goal scoring is a pretty important function I'd stick with Auba (unless his current form continues)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Auba for odegard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

While I don't think Auba is past it or anything, he is certainly past his peak, which I think was maybe last year. I would love to be desperately wrong on that, but I think he'll get over his current slump but still be nowhere near where has been for us up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Quazzie wrote: »
    While I don't think Auba is past it or anything, he is certainly past his peak, which I think was maybe last year. I would love to be desperately wrong on that, but I think he'll get over his current slump but still be nowhere near where has been for us up to now.

I agree, I think we have seen the best of him. I hate the way he is such a flashy social media wannabe. Its like he cant wait for his club duties to end so he can go back to being a superstar on social media with his wrapped supercars in 24k gold coating etc etc.

Needs to concentrate 100% on his football he has decades left for all that jazz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Even if last year was the best of him, there's something else going on as there's no way he should get as poor as he has been over the course of the season considering the length of the break from last season to this season. Its off the cliff rather than a natural slow decline

Funny, never realised Josh King was Norwegian

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/1374745074521800706?s=19

He's gone off injured playing for Norway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭DenMan

Fingers crossed he'll be fine. Will Arsenal recall him now as a precaution or will he stay with Norway?

DenMan wrote: »
    Fingers crossed he'll be fine. Will Arsenal recall him now as a precaution or will he stay with Norway?

Was supposedly walking around after, amd was just a precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Looks painful. Hopefully one of those ones that looks a lot worse than it is.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I agree, I think we have seen the best of him. I hate the way he is such a flashy social media wannabe. Its like he cant wait for his club duties to end so he can go back to being a superstar on social media with his wrapped supercars in 24k gold coating etc etc.

Needs to concentrate 100% on his football he has decades left for all that jazz!

The worrying thing about Aubamayang is that he seemed to outgrow Dortmund as well. I dont think its a case of a lack of effort, It seems that when the team struggled that Auba has struggled to get back to the pitch he was at

This Auba talk is bizarre. Laca couldn't a barn door for what felt like an entire season, but there seemed less to be less concern for him long-term. Is it because of his age? Because he's never had a bad patch before?

Basil3 wrote: »
    This Auba talk is bizarre. Laca couldn't a barn door for what felt like an entire season, but there seemed less to be less concern for him long-term. Is it because of his age? Because he's never had a bad patch before?

In fairness feels like Auba couldn't hit a barn door all this season

FixitFelix wrote: »
    In fairness feels like Auba couldn't hit a barn door all this season

And yet he will still probably score more goals for us this season than Laca has in his best season for us.

And yet he will still probably score more goals for us this season than Laca has in his best season for us.

If we're talking about current form Laca stay Auba goes, you have to feel there us more going on behind behind scenes with Auba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Laca has 11 so far, Auba has only 9. Based on current form, I would expect that gap that widen if anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement