Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is exactly what Stan wanted guaranteed money with no need for success.

Make no mistake we’ll be cannon fodder in this league and still turn over a huge profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm sorry, 5 will qualify? From where?

What if they don't want to?

European leagues I imagine but don't know. Maybe clubs from the rest of the world? If they don't want to I imagine the Super League believe that money talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah, so if you get off to a bad start you basically have nothing to gain and nothing to fear from the rest of the season. You could realistically have nothing to play for by Christmas.

And then you have to wait until summer to strengthen by out bidding teams who are earning much more than you in the same league.

Murica'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is exactly what Stan wanted guaranteed money with no need for success.

Make no mistake we’ll be cannon fodder in this league and still turn over a huge profit

This is worse than I ever could have imagined.

Our beloved club is signing up to be the whipping boys in a competition of the best clubs in Europe. That's 9 home and 9 away games every year against Europe's elite, for the team in 9th in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about this yet. Only the first shots and there's plenty of gamesmanship, politics being played and lies being told. I don't believe this is actually going to happen.

Imagine the shame of finishing being Leicester for another 5 season in the PL and them having to earn the right to join the super league we get a free pass to?

It's completely screwed up. Football eating itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

arsenal will not be in a super league,the have struggled to compete with leicester west ham spurs in last few yrs.
    get super league out of your gooner fantasy head.........................................

Imagine the shame of finishing being Leicester for another 5 season in the PL and them having to earn the right to join the super league we get a free pass to?

Will they not just be in the Champions' League all the time now?

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about this yet. Only the first shots and there's plenty of gamesmanship, politics being played and lies being told. I don't believe this is actually going to happen.

I was initially thinking the same but as the day progressed this got a lot more real, the release tonight is huge.

2.5B immediately on the table as a starter for all these clubs, owners who across the board here are money dragging monsters. For this to fail you need the owners of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Utd, City and Liverpool to back down, is there even one owner there you think gives a toss about history or fans?

This is very much happening and happening fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

bassy wrote: »
    arsenal will not be in a super league,the have struggled to compete with leicester west ham spurs in last few yrs.
    get super league out of your gooner fantasy head.........................................

5 dollars? Get outta heeere

Shoelaces wrote: »
    5 dollars? Get outta heeere

goodman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You don't have a clue.

G'luck.

It's a very simple question, why would Newcastle and Leeds be in if it was formed 20 years ago but Spurs wouldnt.

Just admit you were talking through your ho*e and we can all move on :D

Funniest one I’ve seen so far

Spurs getting called up to a Super League is like bananaman getting called up to the Avengers

I lol’d

thing is spurs at this moment and in the last few seasons are better than arseanal,the table does not lie.................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This is a disaster. Signed up to a league that is governed by money and not a proper footballing body, no relegation, so no need to put money into the team. This is going to end badly.

• Advertisement

sure the hammers are better right now than le arseanal.

I was initially thinking the same but as the day progressed this got a lot more real, the release tonight is huge.

2.5B immediately on the table as a starter for all these clubs, owners who across the board here are money dragging monsters. For this to fail you need the owners of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Utd, City and Liverpool to back down, is there even one owner there you think gives a toss about history or fans?

This is very much happening and happening fast

We'll see. I'm not convinced, no-one, apart from those involved in it, appears to be in favour of the idea - and there's unanamious opposition from governments, governing bodies and fans and media outlets. The proposals are still very washy, washy and there's numerous clubs who aren't involved.

I just can not see this going ahead. Sure, it's now a thing that's being proposed, but for the entire landscape of European football to be changed unilaterally like that - with all the stakeholders and money involved. Look, we'll see how things pan out, but I just think it's a massive bluff that's never going to actually happen.

Remember last Summer when Messi leaving Barcelona was the biggest story in the football world for a while, this reminds me of that: something that is more than likely not going to happen, but will be talked about feverishly.

bassy wrote: »
    sure the hammers are better right now than le arseanal.

It’s getting your goat up tonight so there’s some benefits to this

Have a read of the thread engage in real chat nobody here is advocating for this, it’s 99% in agreement that this is wrong on so many levels

jester77 wrote: »
    This is a disaster. Signed up to a league that is governed by money and not a proper footballing body, no relegation, so no need to put money into the team. This is going to end badly.

That's another thing.

If it's not governed by Uefa or anybody but "the founders", can they esentially just make up whatever rules they want?

Are we finally going to see that old rumour from USA '94, the bigger goals to make it more exciting?

I really hope UEFA and FIFA hold firm against this. Even if it means a few years of suffering it could force out a few Yank owners and give some power back to fans of a few clubs.

• Advertisement

We'll see. I'm not convinced, no-one, apart from those involved in it, appears to be in favour of the idea - and there's unanamious opposition from governments, governing bodies and fans and media outlets. The proposals are still very washy, washy and there's numerous clubs who aren't involved.

I just can not see this going ahead. Sure, it's now a thing that's being proposed, but for the entire landscape of European football to be changed unilaterally like that - with all the stakeholders and money involved. Look, we'll see how things pan out, but I just think it's a massive bluff that's never going to actually happen.

Remember last Summer when Messi leaving Barcelona was the biggest story in the football world for a while, this reminds me of that: something that is more than likely not going to happen, but will be talked about feverishly.

But what have say Arsenal/Spurs got to bluff about here? To change the CL to suit big clubs better when neither are likely to be in it? If so why join the bluff and the backlash? We could have stayed out it and earned respect but we’d give that up for a bluff with no benefit to us.

As you say though a lot to play out

Aye, but remember when Qatar was announced as World Cup host? That actually is going to happen.

It’s getting your goat up tonight so there’s some benefits to this

Have a read of the thread engage in real chat nobody here is advocating for this, it’s 99% in agreement that this is wrong on so many levels

not at all as in goating,i do not agree to it at all its totally wrong wrong wrong....................
    its all about the money pure and simple,as if football was,nt already a business..................................

I really hope UEFA and FIFA hold firm against this. Even if it means a few years of suffering it could force out a few Yank owners and give some power back to fans of a few clubs.

It loaths me to see UEFA/Fifa take any high ground on this they are just as bad just look at Qatar World Cup, one crook calling out another

Aye, but remember when Qatar was announced as World Cup host? That actually is going to happen.

Ah, yeah, but that was 12 years before the date it was due to to be held. They're proposing something that they possibly envision happening in little over 12 weeks.

And it's a different kind of situation too.

The World Cup is a once off event. Whatever about the morality of it I fully expect the WC in Qatar to work like clockwork and then for football to carry on as before afterwards. And let's face it, where the WC is held in a over decades time from when you award it doesn't mean a lot to an awful lot to people - that's not to downplay the ludicrous decision to award to Qatar.

This is a fundamental lasting change to the dynamics of European competition, domestic completions, in close to no time at all really. And as, you can see, people are already losing their shít about it.

I would agree that strange things can become possible if money is involved, but I'm not buying that this is going to happen as planned. Nobody wants this really, everyone is against this - like, really against this - I just can't see that not making any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The ESL is just another name for the UCL. The people earlier who who were saying that they don't care about EPL games for the rest of the season and all that matters is UCL qualification through the Europa League have zero right to complain about this. This is exactly what you wanted but just guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

All of this has zero to do with how successful any club is / has been. It's all to do with how big the clubs are in financial terms and how to make them bigger. They already have a sponsor lined up and TV companies will follow. I do not trust UEFA, FIFA the FA etc to do the right thing either when push comes to shove.

mossie wrote: »
    All of this has zero to do with how successful any club is / has been. It's all to do with how big the clubs are in financial terms and how to make them bigger. They already have a sponsor lined up and TV companies will follow. I do not trust UEFA, FIFA the FA etc to do the right thing either when push comes to shove.

When have they ever? Football in general is a joke, the way it is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A guaranteed cash cow for the owners who don't give a fiddling **** about success so long as they get paid. It is a disgusting move and I hope the Premier League, UEFA and FIFA come down hard on all involved.

• Advertisement

I love how people say the likes of Bayern are taking the moral high ground. They are essentially in an ESL already, with guaranteed qualification to the Champions League every year while they suck up the best German talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Of the six English teams only Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have released a statement when it was supposed be a joint release. Arsenal said they are of the founding clubs and Tottenham and Chelsea said it was just a club statement on the headline that beings you into the official statement. I went to all six clubs Facebook pages and only Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have it up.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I love how people say the likes of Bayern are taking the moral high ground. They are essentially in an ESL already, with guaranteed qualification to the Champions League every year while they suck up the best German talent.
    They will be putting themselves at a disadvantage as they would be entitled to much less finance than the founder members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Quazzie wrote: »
    The ESL is just another name for the UCL. The people earlier who who were saying that they don't care about EPL games for the rest of the season and all that matters is UCL qualification through the Europa League have zero right to complain about this. This is exactly what you wanted but just guaranteed.

They are not even close. UCL is an official tournament sanctioned by UEFA, where participation has to be earned. Now you can argue about how a lot of clubs earn that participation, money has already taken over in the last 20 years. But this so called tournament takes it to the extreme. The rich clubs get together to create an elitist tournament which they can never get removed from, thus guaranteeing them big money. It keeps the rich clubs rich and leaves the rest looking from afar.

Any true fan does not want this. What's in this for Arsenal fans? All of a sudden we are guaranteed participation, no matter how bad we are and at the moment we would get whipped by most teams in this tournament. We haven't earned this. There is no incentive here to build a good team, no incentive to perform well in the EPL (if we are not kicked out). There's nothing in this for the fans and you can be guaranteed you will have to pay top $$ to even watch this travesty if it goes ahead.

It's a sad day for football imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i bet uefa/fifa will give it a green light as soon as the super league elite members give them a cut of the deal.....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They are not even close. UCL is an official tournament sanctioned by UEFA, where participation has to be earned. Now you can argue about how a lot of clubs earn that participation, money has already taken over in the last 20 years. But this so called tournament takes it to the extreme. The rich clubs get together to create an elitist tournament which they can never get removed from, thus guaranteeing them big money. It keeps the rich clubs rich and leaves the rest looking from afar.

Any true fan does not want this. What's in this for Arsenal fans? All of a sudden we are guaranteed participation, no matter how bad we are and at the moment we would get whipped by most teams in this tournament. We haven't earned this. There is no incentive here to build a good team, no incentive to perform well in the EPL (if we are not kicked out). There's nothing in this for the fans and you can be guaranteed you will have to pay top $$ to even watch this travesty if it goes ahead.

I agree with most of what you're saying but I think you're wrong about the incentive to build a good team, it will actually be easier than ever for the club to do that. Arsenal or any other founding club won't suffer because of this, it will be the opposite. Arsenal will have access to bigger transfer kitties than they have have ever had because of the massive revenue they will be guaranteed each and every season. The teams that will suffer are the ones in the domestic leagues that don't have the golden ticket to the super league and the massive money it entails every season.

I'm not saying this is a good thing by the way, it's terrible for the sport as a whole but it's not like the sport hasn't been dominated by a cabal of rich clubs for most of the last thirty years either. Outliers like Leicester winning the league will become much more unlikely though (borderline impossible really).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

To play the devils advocate for some balance as it’s very clear what the overwhelming view of fans is...

Why do so many Irish people care about the premier league (another money grabbing organisation) so much? Didn’t they effectively do what this super league is proposing here when they were founded? As for UEFA...

Then there’s playing elite teams week in week out
    Instead of your Sheffield utd’s etc and is missing out on the FA cup actually a big deal?
    In fairness the threats of international players not being picked for their country won’t be an issue for us!

So what’s the root cause of the absolute disgust at this announcement?

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Eh, there's no relegation from this league is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

keano_afc wrote: »
    Eh, there's no relegation from this league is there?

Nope, from what I've read, the founding 15 clubs qualify automatically and another 5 come from somewhere to make up the party.
    Even if we get a fortune every year, I'm fairly sure Stan won't be reinvesting a whole pile back into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As Mickeroo has pointed out it would be easier than ever for Arsenal to attract talent. Who would play for Leicester when they could play for Arsenal in the world's top league. It would essentially mean the founding 12 would have a license to hoover up all of the talent for themselves, much like Bayern have. The league won't happen till at least the start of the 22/23 season so that means if confirmed, Arsenal would have a year with a bigger transfer kitty than 99% of other teams and they would buy the players to make them somewhat competitive.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

am I the only one who is happy and excited about this if it does end up happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think you are right - probably all 12 clubs will leave the association.

At the end of the day the likes of Kroenkes and Glaziers get what they wanted all along: the money without having to worry about the results. There will be enough support outside of Europe I think - Asia is a big market, it's no wonder some of the pre-season team preparation takes place in that part of the world.

As for the disqualification threats: UEFA might push for it, as the Champions League is losing anyway. The country leagues have probably more to lose - Premier League without the 6 teams in reference won't generate enough TV money. On the other hand will the 6 teams treat it seriously? I wouldn't think so as there are more money elsewhere.

In any case for an old fashioned fan like me it is officially an end of an era. I'm saying officially because in reality this was in the works for years (if not decades) now. And I know that we haven't been competitive for the last few years, still though I get some joy watching us in Premier League every week, even if it is a crappy mid table fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Didn't see the second half of the match yesterday so just say the highlights now. Was there actually contact for that penalty, looks so soft to me.

About the super League I know nothing about it and don't care. It's apparently just a stunt to get more money off uefa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If this super league does happen can they take VAR with them when they do f**K off. The more I see of it the more I'm convinced its a bunch of ar$e... the 2 decisions yesterday were shocking, all bias aside with the benefit of review how they reached their ultimate decision on the disallowed goal is just morally against the laws of the game, the penalty wasnt quite as bad but I'd love to know the justification for it as each replay shows me its a dive plain & simple.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

omega man wrote: »
    To play the devils advocate for some balance as it’s very clear what the overwhelming view of fans is...

Why do so many Irish people care about the premier league (another money grabbing organisation) so much? Didn’t they effectively do what this super league is proposing here when they were founded? As for UEFA...

Then there’s playing elite teams week in week out
    Instead of your Sheffield utd’s etc and is missing out on the FA cup actually a big deal?
    In fairness the threats of international players not being picked for their country won’t be an issue for us!

So what’s the root cause of the absolute disgust at this announcement?

The most obvious one right now from our point of view is we're a bit crap and we'll never ever win this yoke, while statements from the other bodies say we're not allowed in their competitions anymore. So all our history as a club that we are all proud of who wins things is effectively being dismissed.

Then there's the fact that if these teams have decided they're too important to play the likes of Sheffield United, then all gates receipts and tv deals that help the other clubs when they play the big guns vanish.

Plus there's the straight up arrogance & bullying nature of it.

Everything about it leaves a bad taste.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Didn't see the second half of the match yesterday so just say the highlights now. Was there actually contact for that penalty, looks so soft to me.

About the super League I know nothing about it and don't care. It's apparently just a stunt to get more money off uefa.

I've heard this last thing a few times too. If the club think it's okay to make an official announcement to their fans which they know is a lie, then that tells you what they think of us.

And amazingly, that's the best case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Mourinho sacked by Spurs. It's all kicking off haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Mourinho sacked by Spurs. It's all kicking off haha

A bit tough on him ahead of a cup final and if there’s one man who’d get them a cup final win it’s him, love him or hate him. I think their timing is awful. It’s funny though...!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement