Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

marvin80 wrote: »
    To do nothing would be pathetic - some sort of punishment needs to be dished out.

Punishment??? The clubs involved are going to be handed more money from Uefa. Maybe that was the plan all along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Surely there'll be a price to pay for this? I can't imagine the rest of the Prem clubs & the FA are gonna take being treated like this lying down?

Strong rumours that the 6 putative breakaway clubs were actually paid by UEFA to return to the fold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

(In other news, I've just noticed we're playing Everton at 8 o'clock on Friday. Which is a bit unusual.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

marvin80 wrote: »
    To do nothing would be pathetic - some sort of punishment needs to be dished out.

If that’s the moral high ground point then so be it but then they can start reforming tv rights and match ticket prices while they’re at it if as they say “football belongs to the people”. I won’t hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Really hope all the fans don't drop the Kroenke out stuff..gotta drive it home now and never stop. It's the one chance to really dig in the heels and protest each and every game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fact, it's hard to think of anyone that I would like to have owning the club.

Russian Oligarch? No thanks.
    An oil sheikh? God no.
    American capitalist? We've got one already, not great.

Is there anyone else that could afford the club?

The Germans 50+1 rule looks better and better all the time, at least to me anyway.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That wont make a tap of difference and even if he does decide to sell up it will be the same thing again.
    the way i look at the club now is its a financial gravy train for any investor and its being driven someone (arteta for now) and being run by a fat controller, if you get rid of said controller another one will be along to milk that gravy train for all its worth.

The people that were invested and running the club years ago really cared about the club but now its just another business model for a financial fat cat

There has to be something better then this, Kroenke is the worst of all the evil in my opinion. At least the other stick in there own cash like at Chelsea and Man city. Kroenke has just over seen our downfall with his wallet increasing in size.

Got to make it unbearable like Liverpool did with Gillette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wasn't there a big businesses man in Africa who wanted to buy the club last year? A fan of the club too supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

DenMan wrote: »
    Wasn't there a big businesses man in Africa who wanted to buy the club last year? A fan of the club too supposedly.

Aliko Dangote. Probably an absolute cowboy but he might actually give a sh*t about Arsenal which would be nice.

No indication at all that Kroenke or the Glazers or FSG want to sell though. And let's say they did, the market would be flooded with three top football brands for sale, with the pool of buyers relatively small. This would impact the clubs valuation, and say what you like about Kroenke but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who likes to lose money on anything.

I think the yanks will be around for a while yet, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Has Kroenke even said anything yet? He is just poison to the club.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »

Can someone phone Matieu Flamini, isn't he supposed to be a super billionaire now?

Did a job in midefield for us, did a job at left back in the Champions League, can he do a job in the boardroom?

That's the answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jester77 wrote: »
    Has Kroenke even said anything yet? He is just poison to the club.

I wouldn't expect a man nicknamed "Silent Stan" to start talking now. Not sure I've ever heard the man speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Can someone phone Matieu Flamini, isn't he supposed to be a super billionaire now?

Did a job in midefield for us, did a job at left back in the Champions League, can he do a job in the boardroom?

That's the answer!

I think his company was worth billions. Not the same thing unfortunately

Edit, the market his company wanted to get into was worth billions: https://www.glusea.com/mathieu-flamini-net-worth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I've seen that an official announcement on Balogun is coming, can't blame them for trying to deflect things a bit, good luck to them!

I'm ****in ragin these lowlifes have denied us the full joy of Jose gets sacked again day. We'll have to wait at least another year for that again.

Let alone that, but his luvvies in the media are claiming he took a stand against the Superleague, so he is being lauded for getting the bullet :rolleyes:

I've seen that an official announcement on Balogun is coming, can't blame them for trying to deflect things a bit, good luck to them!

Football has been fairly dystopian for long-time now, and one of the symptoms of that is the likes of Balogun and his agent are looking for more money before he even played a Premier League game, thus driving wage bills up, thus driving all stakeholders within the game to be greedier and greedier. It's an endless cycle.

Naturally, Balogun is going to want a bigger slice of the pie and can get good money elsewhere, but the fact he can do so before ever even starting a league game is totally wrong. Of course, Balogun sees his peers at City and Chelsea getting big money before they kick a ball in anger and he measures himself against them and demands more money for himself.

He should step down NOW!! GTFO of football!!!

He should be removed from his position but at the same time he's just following orders from the Kroenke's. Vinai is the fall guy.

They even wheel him out to apologise to the squad, no sign of the Kroenke's as usual. No mention of the Kroenke's on the club statement either, signed off by "the board".

Spinless cowards own the club. At least John Henry had the bottle to get in front of a camera and own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope the London fans pile the pressure on Kronke starting on Friday night outside the Emirates. This needs to be kept going.

Hope the London fans pile the pressure on Kronke starting on Friday night outside the Emirates. This needs to be kept going.

110% this needs to be Endless. This is the one chance to really get this snake out. Kroenke Out

I thought it brave of Pep and Klopp to speak out against the proposed Super League yesterday despite being managers of two founding clubs. They did it before their clubs pulled out too. My respect for them rose.

Would absolutely love to see a big anti Kroenke protest at the Emirates on Friday.

Unfortunately I feel like it has probably lost much of its momentum. I'm glad the whole thing fell apart as quickly as it did but if it had just survived until Friday night before the game I think a really whipped up crowd would have gathered at the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Kroenke will be thousands of kilometres away and won't give two shíts. He'll sell when he wants to sell, and there's not much guarantee of his successor being any better. The only thing that will change that really would be a complete collapse of the current European football structures and with it the valuation of Europe's top clubs. The major damage was all done 10-15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

As if protesting would make a sign of difference to Kronke. It was different when there were protests against Wenger, he had to see it and listen to it.
    Id be amazed if Stan Kronke even knows we're playing on Friday

There is a small window here I think to get him to go. Pity there are no crowds at the moment as a mass boycott of matches might have done the trick. But the slight advantage following the Super League failure might be the moment for protests to have some effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have zero interest in Arsenal today, I know it's not the fault of the players or managers, but I feel as though I've lost something very special and personal to me......

They've all lost their pants....

Executives from clubs which sparked a civil war in English football by joining the now-abandoned European Super League have been handed an ultimatum to step down from key Premier League sub-committees.

Mr Venkatesham, who sits on the Club Strategic Advisory Group (CSAG), had been asked by Mr Masters to step down voluntarily or face being removed against their will.

• Advertisement

Kroenke will be thousands of kilometres away and won't give two shíts. He'll sell when he wants to sell, and there's not much guarantee of his successor being any better. The only thing that will change that really would be a complete collapse of the current European football structures and with it the valuation of Europe's top clubs. The major damage was all done 10-15 years ago.

He may be thousands of miles away but he’s wounded now after this failure and he definitely will be told about any protests. He’ll know well enough that he’s a persona non grata. No harm at all letting him know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

41978902-9490179-image-a-15_1618903754414.jpg

This is a picture from 2017 in NYC, this bull**** has been to goal all along since he bought into the club in 2007. Zero interest in building the club or winning anything, it's just been a waiting game until they thought they could pull it off.

Kroenke won't give a **** what the fans think, St. Louis Rams fans pooled together to buy prime time Superbowl tv ad to more or less call him a prick. He still moved them to LA.

The only way he'll sell is if he thinks this is a non-goer or if he thinks it's so far away that 10 more years of his ownership means we won't get an invite to the table.

Back to footballing matters briefly. No Laca or Auba for Everton on Friday. Hopefully at least one will be back for the Villarreal 1st leg but that does give Balogun an opportunity. Wonder if Martinelli will start at 9?

greendom wrote: »
    Back to footballing matters briefly. No Laca or Auba for Everton on Friday. Hopefully at least one will be back for the Villarreal 1st leg but that does give Balogun an opportunity. Wonder if Martinelli will start at 9?

Not much at stake really in this game for us, much more for Everton.
    I’d love to see Balogun starting along with the other youngsters, Martinelli, Smith Rowe and Saka. Maybe even Odegaard will be back.

I have zero interest in Arsenal today, I know it's not the fault of the players or managers, but I feel as though I've lost something very special and personal to me......

Obviously you're more attached than most to the club, but I have zero interest in Arsenal most days these days, and only mild interest for most matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Not much at stake really in this game for us, much more for Everton.
    I’d love to see Balogun starting along with the other youngsters, Martinelli, Smith Rowe and Saka. Maybe even Odegaard will be back.

If the current Spurs result holds a win against Everton would move Arsenal above them and just a point behind Spurs in 7th. 7th will probably be good enough for Europe next season if City beat them in the Cup final.

Could mean an extra 40m to put towards the Odegaard/Bissouma fund and not having to send shedloads of players on loan because of no European football next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

They've all lost their pants....

Executives from clubs which sparked a civil war in English football by joining the now-abandoned European Super League have been handed an ultimatum to step down from key Premier League sub-committees.

Mr Venkatesham, who sits on the Club Strategic Advisory Group (CSAG), had been asked by Mr Masters to step down voluntarily or face being removed against their will.

Scapegoats of which the owners will probably accept as the (small) price to pay.

omega man wrote: »
    Scapegoats of which the owners will probably accept as the (small) price to pay.

Not such a small deal, lost a seat at the big board. I hope it hurts :)

Basil3 wrote: »
    Obviously you're more attached than most to the club, but I have zero interest in Arsenal most days these days, and only mild interest for most matches.

It's in my blood...I stood in the tunnel as malcolm mcdonald clipped me on the ear running out for a match. It's personal

41978902-9490179-image-a-15_1618903754414.jpg

This is a picture from 2017 in NYC, this bull**** has been to goal all along since he bought into the club in 2007. Zero interest in building the club or winning anything, it's just been a waiting game until they thought they could pull it off.

Kroenke won't give a **** what the fans think, St. Louis Rams fans pooled together to buy prime time Superbowl tv ad to more or less call him a prick. He still moved them to LA.

The only way he'll sell is if he thinks this is a non-goer or if he thinks it's so far away that 10 more years of his ownership means we won't get an invite to the table.

That picture makes me want to puke.

Oh, hang on, is that the Glazers, Woodward and yer man from Liverpool? Woah, then it's even worse.

It's in my blood...I stood in the tunnel as malcolm mcdonald clipped me on the ear running out for a match. It's personal

Hey, these guys are bad news, no question about it. But the fans are still the fans, the club's still the club. We'll get rid of these leeches sometime.

Come on Arsenal! F*** off Kroenkes.

• Advertisement

If it wasn't so sad, it bring to mind the Simpsons episode where they tried to move the Springfield Isotopes to Albuquerque without telling the fans

Hungry, hungry Homer...its almost as comedic :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to football...I couldn't go away for too long ! - on goal difference a win over Everton will push us up into 8th place. I know its not great but with the number of clubs in 'real' European competitions, there's always a chance that it might still qualify us for Europa next year.

Looks like a really young strike team will be on show and I'm looking forward to seeing Balogun getting serious game time at last

I understand his hands are tied to a certain extent but I have to say, very disappointed with Arteta's comments on the Kroenke's and the ESL.

I obviously didn't expect him to be all guns blazing and blast them but the "company man" response he's after giving is really poor and quite frankly, a load of bo***x.

To outright defend them like he has, given the events of the past week, man it's a really bad look.

Klopp was more courageous in his rebuke of the ESL, and this was at a time when it had just been announced and to all intents and purposes was to go ahead.

For Arteta to defend the Kroenke's the way he has, after the whole football universe has shot this down for the sh*te idea it is, I get serious bootlicker vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He's a manager with absolutely no experience managing one of the clubs that while currently shíte, were determined big enough to be in this top 12 euro league. He's also doing a fairly questionable job of it, of course he isn't going to rock the boat.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    is that quoting Arteta ?

Aye

KROENKE OUT.

Don't care about anything else to do with Arsenal now, just got to get him the **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I understand his hands are tied to a certain extent but I have to say, very disappointed with Arteta's comments on the Kroenke's and the ESL.

I obviously didn't expect him to be all guns blazing and blast them but the "company man" response he's after giving is really poor and quite frankly, a load of bo***x.

To outright defend them like he has, given the events of the past week, man it's a really bad look.

Klopp was more courageous in his rebuke of the ESL, and this was at a time when it had just been announced and to all intents and purposes was to go ahead.

For Arteta to defend the Kroenke's the way he has, after the whole football universe has shot this down for the sh*te idea it is, I get serious bootlicker vibes.
    Just heard highlights of the presser, not sure what you expected. He encouraged the protest tomorrow and said that Kroenke apologised to him. He wasn’t rolling out excuses from what I heard. Unless I missed something?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Just heard highlights of the presser, not sure what you expected. He encouraged the protest tomorrow and said that Kroenke apologised to him. He wasn’t rolling out excuses from what I heard. Unless I missed something?

Saying that he spoke to Vinai who was really transparent and clear with him (despite having blindsided him with this whole thing) doesn't really tally. Also to say that KSE have the right intentions to protect the club now and into the future. That's a bizarre takeaway to communicate to the fans given the events of the last few days.

"As always, when we need something or something is happening, they are straightaway ready to act, to give the answers that they can do. To give us the support that they can do. And they’ve done it again."

"This is what they said, they apologised for disturbing the team and for not having the capacity and the ability to communicate in a different way earlier. They explained the reasons why and I passed on the message to the players. That’s all you can ask for. The way they’ve done it, I have to accept it."

This above is nothing short of pathetic imo. The verbal equivalent to shrugging one's shoulders. Oh they asked you to pass the message on to the players did they? That's grand, that's totally healthy.

"But I know the people who work in the organisation. First, they are very caring for the interests of the football club and second, they are very intelligent and professional people. So I’m sure that they had the right reasons to start something, but it clearly didn’t work or it wasn’t the right time or it wasn’t done in the right way."

Vomit inducing.

"I can talk from my experience as a player, a captain and now as a manager. We have always had great communication and full support from the ownership, which goes down to every member of the football club".

Well that great communication certainly hasn't extended to the fans in the duration of the KSE stewardship.

He was far, far more pro KSE than he needed to be today. This week has drawn a very clear division between owners and fans, and he probably should have sided with the fans more here.

Like I said, I didn't expect him to come out and slate them, nobody is going to do that to their employer in a public sphere. I'd hoped he would not be a complete weakling though, and unfortunately I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Saying that he spoke to Vinai who was really transparent and clear with him (despite having blindsided him with this whole thing) doesn't really tally. Also to say that KSE have the right intentions to protect the club now and into the future. That's a bizarre takeaway to communicate to the fans given the events of the last few days.

"As always, when we need something or something is happening, they are straightaway ready to act, to give the answers that they can do. To give us the support that they can do. And they’ve done it again."

"This is what they said, they apologised for disturbing the team and for not having the capacity and the ability to communicate in a different way earlier. They explained the reasons why and I passed on the message to the players. That’s all you can ask for. The way they’ve done it, I have to accept it."

This above is nothing short of pathetic imo. The verbal equivalent to shrugging one's shoulders. Oh they asked you to pass the message on to the players did they? That's grand, that's totally healthy.

"But I know the people who work in the organisation. First, they are very caring for the interests of the football club and second, they are very intelligent and professional people. So I’m sure that they had the right reasons to start something, but it clearly didn’t work or it wasn’t the right time or it wasn’t done in the right way."

Vomit inducing.

"I can talk from my experience as a player, a captain and now as a manager. We have always had great communication and full support from the ownership, which goes down to every member of the football club".

Well that great communication certainly hasn't extended to the fans in the duration of the KSE stewardship.

He was far, far more pro KSE than he needed to be today. This week has drawn a very clear division between owners and fans, and he probably should have sided with the fans more here.

Like I said, I didn't expect him to come out and slate them, nobody is going to do that to their employer in a public sphere. I'd hoped he would not be a complete weakling though, and unfortunately I was disappointed.
    side with the fans? mate half if not most fans want him out!!

his there to do a job and try and bring success to us.

We gotta start backing him. maybe not now as arsenal are a shambles but before this super league crap, most folks were slating him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement