Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

omega man wrote: »
    Bale has his CL medals. He wouldn’t cry over a league cup but yeah he could have at least pretended to be disappointed.

True, but they're all in the past and with that pedigree is exactly why he was brought back. It's the present that's the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I would take the piss but at least they got to the final and sadly looks like we are turning into what Spurs used to be
    Laughing stock

used to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah, there was also Sanchez, Van Persie etc. Most of those lads didn't last and were not exactly lauded during their time with us.

I'm not sure what your point is. Eddie isn't nor is ever likely to be leading the line like van Persie or Sanchez. At the moment, Eddie is a squad player like all those other players I listed, some of whom even were playing during our peak years, and he is at least as good if not better than most of them i.e. he is up to the Arsenal standard.

Looking back at van Persie's stats earlier surprised me though. He only scored more than 15 premier league goals in a season for us twice! I know it was just because he was injured all the time but I would still have said he was scoring 15-20 every season he was with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jokes aside, I'd rather any silverware stayed in London than going North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just checking, it's still senior level medals Rob Holding 2, Harry Kane zero?

Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Our squad cost 454 million. That's third behind city and Chelsea. Big whoop we beat west Ham. Arteta the god.

Who said it was a big deal?

Try reading a post and the post it was replying to before attacking it like a good lad!

And I have no idea where you got your figures from but I would be amazed if Liverpool's squad didn't cost more??

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Who said it was a big deal?

Try reading a post and the post it was replying to before attacking it like a good lad!

And I have no idea where you got your figures from but I would be amazed if Liverpool's squad didn't cost more??

Those figures do look questionable to me for sure.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Aren’t they finishing above us in the league lately ?

They've won nothing of note in 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not remotely good enough with the forwards we have at the club. Auba and Pepe are worth 150 million between them.

We have created chances but we cant score. the problem pre december was we wasnt creating as well

jester77 wrote: »

if kronke values arsenal at 2billion and gets offered that, why not?

farna_boy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is. Eddie isn't nor is ever likely to be leading the line like van Persie or Sanchez. At the moment, Eddie is a squad player like all those other players I listed, some of whom even were playing during our peak years, and he is at least as good if not better than most of them i.e. he is up to the Arsenal standard.

Looking back at van Persie's stats earlier surprised me though. He only scored more than 15 premier league goals in a season for us twice! I know it was just because he was injured all the time but I would still have said he was scoring 15-20 every season he was with us.

Yup.

People here slack Eddie as if his as bad as chamack.....

Eddie is better than a lot of those players listed before.

People get upset because Eddie Is no Haaland.

that is all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yup.

that is all really

I personally don't see how Eddie is much better than Chamack or Sanogo to be honest. I would definitely class him as a step below even Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yup.

that is all really

Chamakh wasn't good enough, neither is Eddie, they have a fairly similar amount of appearances and goals for the club. That's all anyone is saying, he's got plenty of chances, hasn't proved himself so imo it would be time to cash in if the right offer comes along.

There was a post a while back of players that were described as regular starters for the club. While I get the point of the post, describing the likes of Frimpong and Park as regulars is a bit of a stretch. Alot of those names were sub appearances at best and most didn't last too long at the club anyway

wonga77 wrote: »
    Chamakh wasn't good enough, neither is Eddie, they have a fairly similar amount of appearances and goals for the club. That's all anyone is saying, he's got plenty of chances, hasn't proved himself so imo it would be time to cash in if the right offer comes along.

There was a post a while back of players that were described as regular starters for the club. While I get the point of the post, describing the likes of Frimpong and Park as regulars is a bit of a stretch. Alot of those names were sub appearances at best and most didn't last too long at the club anyway

Let me start by being very clear - I don't think he is good enough for a club with Top 4/6 aspirations (that's all we have now 'aspirations') and agree that if the right offer came, we should sell and reinvest in an upgrade.

But to say he has had plenty of chances is completely wrong, he has started 4 games in the league, has only played a total of 411 mins and has scored twice. That's a better goal per minute ratio that Abua!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Being reported on Sky sports news this morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is a great opportunity after the failure of Super League. If not now then we could be with the Kronke's for a very long time.

Having said that I don't know much about Ek except he says he's a fan. He screws artists with very low royalty payments whatever that says about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sounds way too good to be true, 3 of the most loved Arsenal players ever and a Swedish billionaire fan rescue us from Stans clutches. Maybe in an alternate universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

Ah lads, Eddie is talented. Probably doesn't have a long term future at Arsenal but I think he has a good career ahead of him. If he fulfills his full potential I could see him getting to a Danny Ings sort of level. He's definitely better than Bendtner, Sanogo etc.

He's a player who scores all his goals within the six yard box playing in a team (or not playing at all for the last 3 months basically) that can barely create chances. Of course he's gonna look bad. Look at Auba this season.

Can't see that takeover happening either unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Building a war chest?

Got an email this morning...

SPOTIFY PREMIUM

Hi,

Starting April 30, 2021, we are increasing the price of Premium Family so we can continue to bring you new content and features that you can enjoy as a family and as individuals*.

The price of Premium Family will change from €14.99/month to €17.99/month.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, Eddie is talented. Probably doesn't have a long term future at Arsenal but I think he has a good career ahead of him. If he fulfills his full potential I could see him getting to a Danny Ings sort of level. He's definitely better than Bendtner, Sanogo etc.

Not sure if you are serious?

Danny Ings? Danny Ings is a better striker than anyone we have at the club, if Eddie was ever going to reach that level then there is no way we would be selling him - Eddie is more of the Rihan Brewster level than a quality player like Danny Ings.

I would take Danny Ings at Arsenal in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

Not sure if you are serious?

Danny Ings? Danny Ings is a better striker than anyone we have at the club, if Eddie was ever going to reach that level then there is no way we would be selling him - Eddie is more of the Rihan Brewster level than a quality player like Danny Ings.

I would take Danny Ings at Arsenal in a heartbeat.

Dead serious.

I would agree with you if our recruitment strategy was in any way sound when in reality it has been a mess for years.

In the last few years alone we've let players like Bennacer and Reine Adelaide (players with higher ceilings than Eddie) go for peanuts. They had high potential, why didn't we hang on to them? Or at least make a few pound on them? Serge Gnabry says hello as well.

Dead serious.

I would agree with you if our recruitment strategy was in any way sound when in reality it has been a mess for years.

In the last few years alone we've let players like Bennacer and Reine Adelaide (players with higher ceilings than Eddie) go for peanuts. They had high potential, why didn't we hang on to them? Or at least make a few pound on them? Serge Gnabry says hello as well.

I agree with most of what you have said, but I just think Danny Ings is a terrible example/reference, Danny Ings is a top top quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The new mpabbe has signed for us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bDu9-_6JE

Hopefully we'll actually be able to see Balogun play now!

Hopefully we'll actually be able to see Balogun play now!

Honestly, if he's as amazing as we keep hearing is there any reason not to start him in most of the remaining league games?

Honestly, if he's as amazing as we keep hearing is there any reason not to start him in most of the remaining league games?

Can you imagine the commotion in here if Arteta didn't try to win as many league games as possible. Every bad result the fans call for him to be sacked. Some people want him to rest as many first teamers as possible, but anything other than a win isn't good enough.

i can kind of see why clubs have such disdain for their fanbase.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree with most of what you have said, but I just think Danny Ings is a terrible example/reference, Danny Ings is a top top quality player.

Really? He's a James Beattie/Charlie Austin type player at best imo. Not saying Eddie will be any better or even as good by the time he is Ings' age but Ings is far from top top quality. Great mid table/relegation battling team striker though so probably a good fit for us at the mo if we're being realistic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Touchy subject, would any of ye take Wenger back to steady Arsenal football again?

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Touchy subject, would any of ye take Wenger back to steady Arsenal football again?

No. I think taking him back would only serve to tarnish his good name at the club. I think every single fan was unanimous in the belief he stayed too long as it was, and we are only now starting to rectify the issues he left behind in both playing and backroom staff. If he came back it would just set us back another decade in our recovery.

The revisionism and romanticising about Wenger across social media is astounding. Our defense was as leaky as a sieve. He has overseen many hammerings and was found out long ago. We can blame KSE for a lot, but we cant blame them for calamity defending. I'm not saying Arteta is the answer...he's far from it, but I don't see why going backwards is the answer. The problem is we went further backwards after Wenger instead of forwards but that's a combination of things. Getting rid of the Kroenkes is a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Quazzie wrote: »
    Can you imagine the commotion in here if Arteta didn't try to win as many league games as possible. Every bad result the fans call for him to be sacked. Some people want him to rest as many first teamers as possible, but anything other than a win isn't good enough.

We've been hearing for ages about how this guy is the next big thing. Lots of clubs were interested in him, why would starting him be weakening our team that much? I hope we at the very least get to see something from him and not a token run in the 86th minute

wonga77 wrote: »
    We've been hearing for ages about how this guy is the next big thing. Lots of clubs were interested in him, why would starting him be weakening our team that much? I hope we at the very least get to see something from him and not a token run in the 86th minute

I'm of the same belief. I'd love to see him not only get a run, but considering Laca and Auba are injured (still?) I would like to see him start a few games. From the little I have seen of him, my opinion would be that he has more to offer than Eddie up front.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really? He's a James Beattie/Charlie Austin type player at best imo. Not saying Eddie will be any better or even as good by the time he is Ings' age but Ings is far from top top quality. Great mid table/relegation battling team striker though so probably a good fit for us at the mo if we're being realistic :D

Danny Ings has 39 goals in 87 Premier League appearances - he finished joint second in the golden boot last season just one behind Vardy and scored the same amount of league goals as PEA.

Ings has in the the last two months been linked to both City and Spurs. He is so far ahead of the two strikers mentioned on every level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »

What? You mean we’ve been trying to win every game?😂😂

In what capacity?

The revisionism and romanticising about Wenger across social media is astounding. Our defense was as leaky as a sieve. He has overseen many hammerings and was found out long ago. We can blame KSE for a lot, but we cant blame them for calamity defending. I'm not saying Arteta is the answer...he's far from it, but I don't see why going backwards is the answer. The problem is we went further backwards after Wenger instead of forwards but that's a combination of things. Getting rid of the Kroenkes is a start.

Well there's plenty of revisionism about how bad we were defensively. Yes, we were prone to an absolute hammering, but over the course of a season, our defensive record wasn't bad at all. I think in Wenger's second to last full season, we were very close to the best defensive record in the league.

Of course, I'm of the attitude that I don't mind conceding a few goals if we're getting plenty at the other end. I know others would prefer a 1-0 win, and that's fine.

That's not to say I'd want Wenger back.

• Advertisement

I don't see how starting the second coming up front would prevent us from getting results against a bunch of teams with nothing to play for.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Well there's plenty of revisionism about how bad we were defensively. Yes, we were prone to an absolute hammering, but over the course of a season, our defensive record wasn't bad at all. I think in Wenger's second to last full season, we were very close to the best defensive record in the league.

Of course, I'm of the attitude that I don't mind conceding a few goals if we're getting plenty at the other end. I know others would prefer a 1-0 win, and that's fine.

I actually love watching great defending. Great attacking is highly enjoyable too but I played in defence so I love watching it.
    Mario Zagallo the great Brazil manager said he’d prefer to win 6 - 5 than 1 - 0 but I would prefer a 1 nil and great defending AND I’d be in the minority.

I’d like to see Balogun get a run too.
    He’s big and strong and can handle himself from the little I’ve seen of him in the Europa league.

In his last season, easily the worst of his 22 years in charge, we finished 6th with a goal difference of +24.

Three years of "rebuilding" later, we are 10th, with a goal difference of +7.

In his last season, easily the worst of his 22 years in charge, we finished 6th with a goal difference of +24.

Three years of "rebuilding" later, we are 10th, with a goal difference of +7.

We’re going backwards.

Also worth noting that this current squad, until we finally got rid of our most creative player to Turkey definitely for football reasons, included the club's 6 most expensive signings of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Eddie definitely isn't as good as Bendtner was , I know alot of people might laugh but he was actually was a great talent , it's just he was more interested in extra curricular activities

Bendtner would be fantastic in this team now as for Sanogo , I'll give you that one Eddie is probably better than him

Does anyone understand the new Champions League format?

As i understand it, there are two new places for the two teams with the highest Uefa coefficient who couldn't manage to qualify.

Now, there's every chance I'm reading this wrong, but the Uefa website seems to have us pretty high in terms of Uefa coefficient. Am I reading this right? Are we 11th in that table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Now, there's every chance I'm reading this wrong, but the Uefa website seems to have us pretty high in terms of Uefa coefficient. Am I reading this right? Are we 11th in that table?

Yeah, high coefficient due to doing reasonably well in Europa. It’s too heavily weighted if you ask me

Basil3 wrote: »

Yes to be fair, having looked through that season we actually did keep quite a few clean sheets.....but we shipped Seven over two games against Liverpool and Ten against Bayern. In the big games, he was finished.

L'prof wrote: »
    Yeah, high coefficient due to doing reasonably well in Europa. It’s too heavily weighted if you ask me

Well, doesn't that mean we'll probably be back in it in a couple of seasons even though we're in the state we're in? Pretty much everyone above us is going to get in anyway.

I dunno.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement