Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

emmetlego wrote: »
    Can't stand this negativity. In my opinion, we are at the root stage of great growth. Think I'll give boards a miss for a while. The depression here is awful.

Don't, it's expressive, if we didn't care we wouldn't comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can't stand this negativity. In my opinion, we are at the root stage of great growth. Think I'll give boards a miss for a while. The depression here is awful.

Wait, wait, come back!

We're all just anxious at the moment! 'Twas nice round here after the quarter final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

On a positive note Ceballos missing the 2nd leg is as good as it gets.

Xhaka now needs to be played beside Partey and Tierney to slot in Lb.also play Cedric at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If you think boards is negative then Id suggest avoiding twitter. That might send you over the edge altogether. Arteta getting an absolute hammering from all angles there...

Its called being a realist. The negativity comes from fans reaction to inept performances and the Arsenal supporters have had 15 years of it now. Definatly 10.

Sometimes you have to come to the conclusion that the chicken doesn't come before the egg (team doesn't play shít because the fans are negative) or vice-versa... Sometimes its a case of the hens are just not laying. In life, you have to be prepared to hear points of view that don't exactly meet your view of the world.

If Arsenal were as successful as they were before Silent Stan arrived, this forum would be the happiest place on earth. Unfortunately they arent. You have to accept that reality. Even if they somehow won this Europa league, we will be mullered in that Champions league next year when we meet a good team. We are absolutely indefensively terrible. The league table doesn't lie

You are claiming we are in a period of growth??? Im failing to see where the growth is going to come from. We are absolutely shocking. Tommy Partey in particular is absolutely abysmal. His own mother couldn't defend his performances. This is the guy who was going to be the new Vieira. The man who was going to bring back power and dominance to the Arsenal midfield. he has been a flop. He couldn't pass water. And actually quite careless into the bargain.

We are 9th in the league and very lucky to be 9th. To start with no striker in a game that you must get some form of a result is lunacy. He made Emery look like Alex Ferguson tonight such were his tactics.

FWIW, I think we'll go through because if Villareal were that good side they'd have put us to the sword tonight. They are a far cry from the days of Pellegrini managing with Forlan and Riquelme their star players. If we hit another Slavia Prague-esque performance next night out we will prevail, but nothing less will do. I fancy us to win 2 or 3 nil....but United (and a mediocre United team at that) will lick their lips for the final either way.

I do feel for Arteta because in spite of everything I accept he is a good decent man who is doing his best but christ above he really needed to cut his teeth in a few jobs before he landed this role. Unfortunately, when you are dealing with cheapskates running the club, that's is what you get. It hasn't been all bad under him, but its not going to get better.....its going to get worse. I really worry we could become another Sunderland with these Kroenke creeps at the helm.

I was absolutely flabbergasted to see we didn't start a striker tonight in a must win game. One (our top earner) got five minutes. Martinelli who should have at the very least started only got 25. Fcukin Nketiah, got a whole 90 at the weekend

wonga77 wrote: »
    If you think boards is negative then Id suggest avoiding twitter. That might send you over the edge altogether. Arteta getting an absolute hammering from all angles there...

He is getting a hiding everywhere. In fairness, when you don't start with a striker, that tends to happen. Its Steve Staunton stuff

Soups123 wrote: »
    Didn’t post during or after game, decided to let it settle and not shoot off the hip.

Result: I’ll take it

Performance: bang average. Better for the 20 mins after going down to 10.

Arteta: absolutely shocking, starting the game with no centre forward, a 4 man box midfield haven’t seen that in years. Team selection started his 3rd choice right back, left our best CB on the bench, had our best performing midfielder at LB. Then you look at his game management, everyone knew Dani was going after the early foul 2nd have.

When it comes to Arteta if you know you know if you don’t you don’t. There’s a series on Netflix about the fake footballer who blagged his way into teams around the world and earned millions, Arteta just reminds me of him a fake manager.

I accept the Kroenke issues I accept the quality of player comments but tbh Arteta’s on field output is diabolical, he’s getting a free pass from some but I think he has to go

in fairness to the guy I fully accept he has done his best for the club. He comes across as such a sincere likeable guy. As player and manager, he has always given 100% for us.

I really wanted it to work for him and I want him to be a success in management whatever happens. I agree with him getting shot of a few wasters who let the club down. The likes of Mustafi and Ozil for example. I also back him to the hilt for putting that Guendouzi in his place..... but his inexperience is showing badly.

Firstly, his insistence on playing from the back all of the time. Most teams press high up the pitch, so this predictable, its vanity, its lunacy, and it's unjustified and as a result our goals have dried up. Secondly, our attack is static. No one is taking risks, no one is making runs off the ball. Everyone is waiting for things to happen. Absolutely no leadership. Good leaders create lions, bad leaders create sheep.

Poor squad choice, poor tactics, naivety at best

I really think Arteta was trying to be too clever by using a strange team selection, just to throw Emery off. There's no way that was the best team he could have selected.

That said, we used to see the same thing when Emery was the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

in fairness to the guy I fully accept he has done his best for the club. He comes across as such a sincere likeable guy. As player and manager, he has always given 100% for us.

I really wanted it to work for him and I want him to be a success in management whatever happens. I agree with him getting shot of a few wasters who let the club down. The likes of Mustafi and Ozil for example. I also back him to the hilt for putting that Guendouzi in his place..... but his inexperience is showing badly.

Firstly, his insistence on playing from the back all of the time. Most teams press high up the pitch, so this predictable, its vanity, its lunacy, and it's unjustified and as a result our goals have dried up. Secondly, our attack is static. No one is taking risks, no one is making runs off the ball. Everyone is waiting for things to happen. Absolutely no leadership. Good leaders create lions, bad leaders create sheep.

Agree with you on the point of getting rid of the wasters, but he needs team leaders on the pitch. The team has no strong personalities to drive them on at present when things are not happening, players like Adams, Patrick, Martin are very sadly missing. But to play no striker was madness in away game where goals are vital. Can’t understand why he is not playing mart up front is beyond me. After 45 years supporting the team, its so sad to see no heart in the team from the days of one nil to the arsenal and the invincible team.

Can anyone explain to me the logic of playing Xhaka at LB?
    The modern game depends on full-backs to provide width. Xhaka is far too slow to play like a LB in attack.
    In defence it's kinda funny really. If you can't do him for pace just stop and stand him up, he will jump in.

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain to me the logic of playing Xhaka at LB?
    The modern game depends on full-backs to provide width. Xhaka is far too slow to play like a LB in attack.
    In defence it's kinda funny really. If you can't do him for pace just stop and stand him up, he will jump in.

Maybe it's like how Wenger used to fit in a decent player, even if they're out of position, just to have them on the pitch. Ramsey used to be played down the flank for this reason, despite not being the fastest in the world.

Actually, that can't be it. There is no logic, it makes no sense. Unfortunately he 'did a job' there a couple of times and Arteta now thinks it's a valid selection.

I was absolutely flabbergasted to see we didn't start a striker tonight in a must win game. One (our top earner) got five minutes. Martinelli who should have at the very least started only got 25. Fcukin Nketiah, got a whole 90 at the weekend

I wasn't too bothered when I thought Pepe was going to be played in a striking role up the middle.....then I saw that he was playing down the left and we didn't actually have a striker at all.

200 IQ play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Can't defend the league position and performances.
    Can't defend the starting line up last night. It was the worse line up he could have picked.
    Can't defend how lackluster and **** the players were in our biggest game of the season.
    Can't defend bizarre transfer policy
    Can't defend a culture of been ****.

You know the thing that gets me the most annoyed for some reason is giving an aging Cedric a 4 year deal. Then when both our first choice full backs are injured or not selected then he still can't get on the team. What fecking logic was it in buying him??? Insane

In saying all that the man will get to next Christmas and he better get his thinking hat on cause if he is anyway near where he is now then he need the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Not going to get into every detail of last night or all the posts that have been made here but just two things that strike me straight off -

Partey made two absolute world class passes last night, one in either half and he had to play beside Ceballos who is a complete liability, especially without the ball, Partey has been a disappointment no doubt, but last night was not on him.

The whole 'not starting an out and out striker' - has Pep not being doing this for the last 3 months and is being lauded as a genius and the greatest manager of all time??

Tierney back in fully fit and Xakha back beside Partey and we will get through quite comfortably imo.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Not going to get into every detail of last night or all the posts that have been made here but just two things that strike me straight off -

Partey made two absolute world class passes last night, one in either half and he had to play beside Ceballos who is a complete liability, especially without the ball, Partey has been a disappointment no doubt, but last night was not on him.

The whole 'not starting an out and out striker' - has Pep not being doing this for the last 3 months and is being lauded as a genius and the greatest manager of all time??

Tierney back in fully fit and Xakha back beside Partey and we will get through quite comfortably imo.

You're honestly going to compare us to Man City?
    There's clutching at straws and then there's this

You're honestly going to compare us to Man City?
    There's clutching at straws and then there's this

Have you trouble reading?

Where did I compare us to City - there's clutching at straws and there is being willfully obtuse.

Have you trouble reading?

Where did I compare us to City - there's clutching at straws and there is being willfully obtuse.

It's clear what you meant. How could you possibly compare what Arteta did last night to what Pep has been doing? Our squads and personnel aren't even remotely similar to be trying to pull off the same tactic (let alone the fact he tried it for the first time away from home in a European semi final)

Might as well mention the Flying V in the Mighty Ducks.

It's clear what you meant. How could you possibly compare what Arteta did last night to what Pep has been doing? Our squads and personnel aren't even remotely similar to be trying to pull off the same tactic (let alone the fact he tried it for the first time away from home in a European semi final)

It's clear what you thought what I meant, that's not the same thing!

I was merely pointing out the fact that people were focusing far too much on that one aspect of last night - it was a big call by Arteta, although his hand was somewhat forced - Abua not fit and playing muck, Laca injured and he clearly doesn't fully trust Martenelli for what ever reason.

The reaction has been as if he invented the craziest idea of all time, I was merely pointing out the irony that the best manager in the game - with the best squad (didnt think that needed to be stated but happy to clarify ) has been doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons - Augero injured and he doesnt trust Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

OmegaGene wrote: »
    What pep does with a billion pound squad is not comparable to Arteta and this bunch, he dropped a clanger not playing a striker and we all know that
    Maybe he tried to be clever but it backfired, he should use training and league games to change styles of play not an away game in europa

It's a move straight out of the Pep Guardiola management book, overthink it, change the system to something never used before in an important match.

Except Arteta isn't Pep Guardiola, he's the LIDL version and it failed spectacularly.

It's clear what you thought what I meant, that's not the same thing!

I was merely pointing out the fact that people were focusing far too much on that one aspect of last night - it was a big call by Arteta, although his hand was somewhat forced - Abua not fit and playing muck, Laca injured and he clearly doesn't fully trust Martenelli for what ever reason.

The reaction has been as if he invented the craziest idea of all time, I was merely pointing out the irony that the best manager in the game - with the best squad (didnt think that needed to be stated but happy to clarify ) has been doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons - Augero injured and he doesnt trust Jesus!

It's not that anyone thinks he invented some crazy idea, it's that he applied an idea in an incredibly stupid way in a team that it's not going to work for.

I'm sure at some point in the last 2 years it was tried but I can't remember if it was himself or Emery and it failed. Racking my my mind but can't think of the match. Think Aubameyang went on early second half to end the stupidity.

It's not that anyone thinks he invented some crazy idea, it's that he applied an idea in an incredibly stupid way in a team that it's not going to work for.

I'm sure at some point in the last 2 years it was tried but I can't remember if it was himself or Emery and it failed. Racking my my mind but can't think of the match. Think Aubameyang went on early second half to end the stupidity.

Problem is, what is going to work - we are just not very good.

That said a 2-1 defeat away in Spain has been greeted as if we were beaten by a League Two side - we are still in control of the tie and in a great position to qualify.

I think emmetlego has the right idea about this thread right now - never thought it would sink to the hysterics and plain stupidity of facebook/twitter etc. but alas :(

I think emmetlego has the right idea about this thread right now - never thought it would sink to the hysterics and plain stupidity of facebook/twitter etc. but alas :(

No harm in differing opinions. Did you ever consider that maybe the online stuff might actually represent the majority of fans current feelings? Or is it easier to just dismiss it as hysterics and stupidity just because they are of a different opinion to you?

fwiw I notice a huge shift in opinion on Arteta in the last few weeks. Before, anytime the club twitter account would post, it would be 50/50 between the Arteta fans and those that don't think he's up to the job.
    That's changed an awful lot recently, the people defending him are less and less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No harm in differing opinions. Did you ever consider that maybe the online stuff might actually represent the majority of fans current feelings? Or is it easier to just dismiss it as hysterics and stupidity just because they are of a different opinion to you?

fwiw I notice a huge shift in opinion on Arteta in the last few weeks. Before, anytime the club twitter account would post, it would be 50/50 between the Arteta fans and those that don't think he's up to the job.
    That's changed an awful lot recently, the people defending him are less and less
    That's because when it comes to online interaction the loudest idiot wins. It's not gone beyond the 50:50 it's just that it's tiring constantly arguing with the #Managerout brigade.

• Advertisement

Or the alternative is the people making the same points for the last 18 months in the face of overwhelming evidence are the idiots.

Or the alternative is the people making the same points for the last 18 months in the face of overwhelming evidence are the idiots.

That's correct. Real fans have been looking at games and following the team throughout it all, good and bad, so they get to give their opinion rightly or wrongly.

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's correct. Real fans have been looking at games and following the team throughout it all, good and bad, so they get to give their opinion rightly or wrongly.

What's it take to be a real fan?

I don't think there is a need to **** on anyone for there opinion. People that want Arteta out love Arsenal as much as the Arteta supporters do.

I'm in the the middle right now, from been a very pro Arteta supporter. He and the team are the ones that must perform and they are the ones that should feel the pressure..not the fans questioning or supporting Arteta.

He will get most of next season. I will say if u ask Arteta himself at the moment then he would tell you he and the players aren't doing a good job. Would be his own worst critic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Fair play to Leno. Has come in for a lot of (deserved) criticism but he's a big reason the tie is still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If there was a top class coach who actually wanted the job I would kick Arteta to the curb in a heartbeat. I highly doubt there is though, so I'm not sure what his alternative would be if you were to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If there was a top class coach who actually wanted the job I would kick Arteta to the curb in a heartbeat. I highly doubt there is though, so I'm not sure what his alternative would be if you were to get rid.

Even if there was such a coach, would Kronke and co actually pay for a top coach?

And would the choice be either a better coach or better players?

I think what annoys me most is just the inconsistency. Like sometimes this group of players can go out and play unbelievably well against either a top team or a poor team but will then completely fall apart the next game.

So in a way, it seems like the players we have can be very good and play at least to their potential (if not more) and if they turn up like they can, there is no reason we couldn't be challenging for top 4 at least.

But does that come down to the coach and man management? Are some players being over played? Or is it that the players are technically good enough but just don't have the mentality to keep going for more than a few games at a time?

farna_boy wrote: »
    But does that come down to the coach and man management? Are some players being over played? Or is it that the players are technically good enough but just don't have the mentality to keep going for more than a few games at a time?

Wenger couldn't fix that issue. Emery couldn't fix that issue. Now Arteta is struggling to. I don't think the issue is the manager. It's quiet clearly the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There’s bound to be another great coach out there.
    Just look at Chelsea since Touchel took over. The difference in their performances has been staggering.
    I’m one person who has lost faith in Arteta. I don’t believe he knows what he’s doing. Far too much chopping and changing and no game plan.
    We can still win this tie though and get to the final. I’d have serious doubts about us winning the final though.

Ceballos contract not being extended, I think we can do much better

Best news I've heard all day.

I think Ceballos is one thing that we can all agree on!

Simply not good enough, one or two flashes of excellence every now and them but 95% of the time a complete liability and I would say anyone that had to partner him in midfield or play in a back four behind him will be very relieved.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wasn't too bothered when I thought Pepe was going to be played in a striking role up the middle.....then I saw that he was playing down the left and we didn't actually have a striker at all.

200 IQ play.

Yes I agree I actually would have trusted that, but then to see him so far wide he could wave to his mother in the Ivory Coast was puzzling, and we were wondering who actually was the striker??? It wasn't Smith Rowe, it wasn't Saka, it wasn't Odegaard... We had nothing to aim for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

******* Conspiracy Theory Alert ********

Were Kroenke and Vinai so confident that Arsenal were going to play in the European Super Duper League, they decided that we didn't really need to compete in the PL, therefore they could keep the relatively cheap 'Yes man' Arteta, a clatter of young cheap academy players and a shed load of loan players and still be guaranteed a big pay day being the whipping boys in the ESL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

What's it take to be a real fan?

To watch full games.

Not 2min highlights when Leno makes one mistake and his now the worse gk in Europe

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    ******* Conspiracy Theory Alert ********

Were Kroenke and Vinai so confident that Arsenal were going to play in the European Super Duper League, they decided that we didn't really need to compete in the PL, therefore they could keep the relatively cheap 'Yes man' Arteta, a clatter of young cheap academy players and a shed load of loan players and still be guaranteed a big pay day being the whipping boys in the ESL?

They only wanted ESL to inflate the price of the club and sell.

That way they could walk away with the LA stadium paid for and still have money for a bag of chips.

Want something to look forward to.....hearing Balogun could START on Sunday. Test to see if he's a weapon for the return Europa match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Want something to look forward to.....hearing Balogun could START on Sunday. Test to see if he's a weapon for the return Europa match.

What !!!!

Start an actual forward in a forward position !!!

What madness is this ?

To watch full games.

Not 2min highlights when Leno makes one mistake and his now the worse gk in Europe

I watched the full game last night. Are you allowed to miss one when you have no way to watch and the pubs are closed and you're not allowed go to someone else's place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

In fairness I think arteta should be playing the likes of Balogun on Sunday, shouldn't be risking anyone he doesn't need to ahead of Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Missed the thread after posting last night. I’m fine having my opinion and fine with others having the opposite that’s the point of a forum right.

I’d give anything to be proven wrong, but I’d rather come in here for balance and variance that everyone nodding the same way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

It's a new day and it's PL game again tomorrow, let's all radiate positivity. For tomorrow I'd expect Arteta to play youth upfront either Balogun, Nketiah or even Martinelli.

Tierney should be saved for Thursday, could get minutes but won't risk him to play full 90. Bellerin might play tomorrow or even Cedric on RB. Pepe definitely a starter and Martinelli (please give him more minutes). We will see more on who trained today and might have an idea who will play tomorrow.

Anyways have a great day and go out enjoy the weather. Sun's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ryan, Bellerin, Holding, Gabriel, Cedric. Elneny, Cellebos, Odegaard, Martinelli, Nelson and Nkethia. Balogun should be on the bench with a host of regulars including those coming back from injury.
    But of course that will not look anything like the team we’ll see.😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Willian might start tomorrow.

• Advertisement

You know what I find an issue at the moment is does anybody actually know or best 11? I imagine if we all stuck up our best 11 everyone fit that they would be very different??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement