Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

Quazzie wrote: »
    Breaking news: Buttons doesn't think Arsenal players a lre any good. :eek:

Hardly a shocker. :rolleyes:

Not do their national team selecters apparently. Funny that. Way to miss the point with more of your childish nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not do their national team selecters apparently. Funny that. Way to miss the point with more of your childish nonsense.

Saka is 19 and you are using the fact he only has 4 senior caps to beat him with, as if that proves some point. :rolleyes:

We'd one person saying that we were definitely going to lose after seeing the team. Then we had quiet a lengthy post from another pointing out we only scored and kept a clean sheet because Newcastle were so poor and were effectively on holidays already. Definitely no credit where it's due there. Team selection was spot on today. The game was won with relative ease with many main players rested. No praise there. Plenty of lads in here will be disappointed with how it worked out. As stated some were willing us to lose.

Delighted to get the win, and nice to see Auba score with a lovely finish, but our recent run has been absolutely abysmal. I hope Arteta turns things around, but we are so inconsistent that its hard to envisage a dramatic improvement. Some of his signings haven't worked out. Willian has been shocking. Jury still out on Partey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Honestly, I would prefer to loose to Villareal again then get to the final and be thumped by UTD. After getting destroyed by Chelsea already in a final I dont need it in the History books again. I would absolutely give a kidney for us to win the competition but I just cant take another loss to an English club in the final I really cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Honestly, I would prefer to loose to Villareal again then get to the final and be thumped by UTD. After getting destroyed by Chelsea already in a final I dont need it in the History books again. I would absolutely give a kidney for us to win the competition but I just cant take another loss to an English club in the final I really cant.

That's would also be my worry as United currently are on another level altogether and in form too.

On the other hand getting to the final always gives ya a chance! Never know what Arsenal would turn up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Interesting point raised on Arsecast yesterday - what is the point of Cedric?

He can play right back, just not as well as Bellerin or Chambers. One of his supposed strengths when we signed him was versatility - he can play left back, just not as well as Tierney or seemingly Xhaka now.

He is third choice right back and third choice left back.

I'm sure the answer is that his super agent manufactured the deal but if he's not even getting in the team for a game like yesterday we must be looking at moving him on surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn’t be looking forward to a final against Man Utd. Our record in Europe against English opposition is awful. From memory, we were beaten by Chelsea in a qf of the champions league, Liverpool beat us in a qf of the champions league, Man Utd a Sf of the champions league and of course that hiding from Chelsea in the Europa league final.

We are due a positive result sometime! Getting to the final won’t be easy of course. We have enough to beat Villarreal, but just depends on many factors on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We've nothing to fear of United

Interesting point raised on Arsecast yesterday - what is the point of Cedric?

He can play right back, just not as well as Bellerin or Chambers. One of his supposed strengths when we signed him was versatility - he can play left back, just not as well as Tierney or seemingly Xhaka now.

He is third choice right back and third choice left back.

I'm sure the answer is that his super agent manufactured the deal but if he's not even getting in the team for a game like yesterday we must be looking at moving him on surely.

I mean...who knows. To be fair I don't think he did that bad at all when he played apart from that mistake against Prague.
    I'd rather him start LB and Xhaka back in the middle for Thursday is KT isn't back.

• Advertisement

We've nothing to fear of United

I think the last time they beat us was 6 attempts ago, at the start of 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think the last time they beat us was 6 attempts ago, at the start of 2019.

Counts for nothing in a final, which they have to get to first

L'prof wrote: »

Well it counts for more than saying that one team has beaten another team, therefore they will beat us in a month's time. That's the kind of thing you'd regularly see in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dudes, I gotta tell yis, I'm feeling good about Thursday. Don't care about United for now.

We're definitely able for Villareal, I think our lads are gonna really stand up this week.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I can definitely see Emery ****ting himself but i'm still quite wary about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Well I'd rather be going in off the back of good record than a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Henry talking about the possible take over

https://ibb.co/kxTWHmy

God I hope this happens. Watching SSN now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Thierry isn’t telling us anything we haven’t already been told here.

Saka is 19 and you are using the fact he only has 4 senior caps to beat him with, as if that proves some point. :rolleyes:

OK so you pick one of the 11, nice cherry-picking.
    He's a step up from Smith-Rowe, he's no finished article. Right now he's not playing like someone who's on the cusp of scoring 20 goals in a season and winning a league title. That's more the point, that out of our squad we have older uncapped players, younger players with just a handful of caps and very few old/prime players who play regularly for their national team.

Just picked 09-10 to have a glance at. Vermaelen, Rosicky, Sagna, Fabregas, Gallas, Van Persie, Arshavin, Eboue. Even Djourou and Senderos with 76 and 57 caps each. Clichy ended up with 20 caps. Song 49, Vela 72, Walcott 47, Nasri ended up with 41, Eduardo 64.

But hey, just answer with a smart-arse one-liner since it's all you have. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Talk on Twitter about Leno being off. Personally, I rate Leno highly. Losing him one year after selling Martinez would be tough to take.

Talk on Twitter about Leno being off. Personally, I rate Leno highly. Losing him one year after selling Martinez would be tough to take.

Getting rid of him without a proper replacement would be very Arsenal right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

BRING BACK SCEZNEY!

emmetlego wrote: »
    BRING BACK SCEZNEY!

He's unironically being linked with an Arsenal return on Twitter. Donnarumma on the way in at Juve so Szczesny on the way out with us mentioned as suitors.

All twitter talk so grain, salt etc.

And what would worry me about the current regime is that they'd probably love to bring in David Raya as his replacement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

And what would worry me about the current regime is that they'd probably love to bring in David Raya as his replacement...

Ospina all over again :pac:

Personally wouldnt want Szczesny either. Never was as good as some (or himself) thought he was and think the fondness for him relates to more off the pitch than actual performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Getting rid of Leno would be shocking, he’s a great age for w goal keeper and had way more better games than not. Hopefully it’s all noise it’s not as if there’s a string of keepers out there that would improve us on what we have

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Since listening to the Arsecast Extra when Andrew & James were discussing the lineup for Thursday I couldn't help but think if Tierney is out why doesn't Arteta go back to a back 3 against Villarreal? It worked so well in the cups last season and given the players we have I think it would suit them well, an 11 of:
    Leno,
    Chambers, Holding, Gabriel,
    Bellerin, Partey, Xhaka, Saka,
    Pepe, Auba, ESR.

Would surely be enough to get the result we need no?

I can’t take to him at all. He’s made too many costly mistakes. It’s not the first position I’d choose to address but if he goes he goes

I can’t take to him at all. He’s made too many costly mistakes. It’s not the first position I’d choose to address but if he goes he goes

Like most of this current crop of players he really wouldn’t be missed. Anybody else find it slightly ironic that Martinez and Fabianski are both at clubs that are above us in the table but they weren’t good enough for Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Someone here said Martinez has made more errors "statistically" then Leno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

OK so you pick one of the 11, nice cherry-picking.
    He's a step up from Smith-Rowe, he's no finished article. Right now he's not playing like someone who's on the cusp of scoring 20 goals in a season and winning a league title. That's more the point, that out of our squad we have older uncapped players, younger players with just a handful of caps and very few old/prime players who play regularly for their national team.

Just picked 09-10 to have a glance at. Vermaelen, Rosicky, Sagna, Fabregas, Gallas, Van Persie, Arshavin, Eboue. Even Djourou and Senderos with 76 and 57 caps each. Clichy ended up with 20 caps. Song 49, Vela 72, Walcott 47, Nasri ended up with 41, Eduardo 64.

But hey, just answer with a smart-arse one-liner since it's all you have. :rolleyes:

Yea we had a much better team back then and wenger messed up in not winning a big trophy back then.

Like most of this current crop of players he really wouldn’t be missed. Anybody else find it slightly ironic that Martinez and Fabianski are both at clubs that are above us in the table but they weren’t good enough for Arsenal.

I think that's more to do with the fact that Arsenal have scored **** all goals this season, and have been all round terrible. Arsenal fans seem to have a weird fascination with turning players that leave us into world beaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think we can do better. Wish we'd sold him a year ago and kept Martinez

Someone here said Martinez has made more errors "statistically" then Leno

Errors leading to goals? I’d be surprised. I’d imagine Leno has been too of that table since he arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I thought there was not much between Leno and Martinez last summer and would have thought the same up until a few months ago. He was a very solid keeper up until then, not sure what's gone wrong with him lately. Kind of poor form to tell the club he wants out (if he actually has done) a year after they back you to come back from injury and sell the guy who's taken your spot to another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yea we had a much better team back then and wenger messed up in not winning a big trophy back then.

It was Wenger that was ultimately responsible for player recruitment. That side of things has gone downhill since he left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

What I think should have happened last summer was, keep Martinez as the starting keeper for the season and have Leno back him up. It was Martinez spot to lose then and see if he could continue his form from the previous months.
    However when Villa came in with the £18m bid or whatever it was, it was too good to turn down for a keeper with relatively little experience for his age.

It is worth noting that Martinez hasn’t been flawless for Villa, I’ve seen him have a couple of stinkers for them too.

He's not good enough if we want to get back to the top but without a superior replacement lined up it'd be idiocy to get rid of him.

Would be nice if we poached Areola off Madrid rumour has it he’s comfortable in London.

Errors leading to goals? I’d be surprised. I’d imagine Leno has been too of that table since he arrived

Leno nowhere near the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

?

For a bloke who's been falling over himself to say Arteta can't be blamed for anything the players do wrong, that's pretty impressive.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Leno nowhere near the top

Since he signed? I’d say he is

https://twitter.com/optajoe/status/1211312896346644481

He had / has the likes of Mustafi, Sokratis, David Luiz playing in front of him. Not the best protection. Likelihood of committing an error is gonna increase if you're surrounded by gaffe prone defenders. Found the below, interesting graph.

"The German has quietly been outstanding in the Gunners goal, outperforming his expected save percentage in all three of his Premier League seasons while playing behind a leaky Arsenal defense."

https://twitter.com/Jhdharrison1/status/1359214925349011461?s=19

Would be nice if we poached Areola off Madrid rumour has it he’s comfortable in London.

He's a PSG player isn't he? I'm pretty sure he was only on loan at Real

He's a PSG player isn't he? I'm pretty sure he was only on loan at Real

Right you are, my mistake

Right you are, my mistake

Seem to be forever on loan though so maybe he is ready to make a permanent move.

Seem to be forever on loan though so maybe he is ready to make a permanent move.

He bought a house in London last year if that’s anything to go by, I wouldn’t say no to him at Arsenal.

He had / has the likes of Mustafi, Sokratis, David Luiz playing in front of him. Not the best protection. Likelihood of committing an error is gonna increase if you're surrounded by gaffe prone defenders. Found the below, interesting graph.

"The German has quietly been outstanding in the Gunners goal, outperforming his expected save percentage in all three of his Premier League seasons while playing behind a leaky Arsenal defense."

https://twitter.com/Jhdharrison1/status/1359214925349011461?s=19

Have to wonder how they decide on the "Expected saves" when the average goalkeeper is way above 0. Almost like it's a skewed stat based on something objective.

• Advertisement

What a sight, let's hope that's full team training or close to it.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1389585076053291010?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement