Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Bottom line is, ownership issue aside, the team that played last night should have been able to beat that Villarreal team at home no ifs, buts or maybes. This is on Arteta and the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Any chance the Saudi's come in and try and buy us if KSE is open to selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Everyone who was in charge of recruitment over the past 10 years and to date including Edu should never have a job in that field again. How do Leicester spot talent so much better then us???

Only one player in the whole club I actually love and he cant stay fit at all. The rest can piss off

Just an example of bad talent bought in the last decade.

Squillaci
    Chamakh
    Gervinho
    Santos
    Park
    J Campbell
    Jenkinson
    Sanogo
    Wellbeck
    Chambers
    Debuchy
    Gabriel P
    Elneny
    Mustafi
    Perez
    Miki
    Kolasinac
    Torreria
    Sokratis
    Guendouzi
    D Suarez
    Lichsteiner
    Saliba
    Cedric
    Willian
    Runarsson

I could name more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jmac24128 wrote: »

Squillaci
    Chamakh
    Gervinho
    Santos
    Park
    J Campbell
    Jenkinson
    Sanogo
    Wellbeck
    Chambers
    Debuchy
    Gabriel P
    Elneny
    Mustafi
    Perez
    Miki
    Kolasinac
    Torreria
    Sokratis
    Guendouzi
    D Suarez
    Lichsteiner
    Saliba
    Cedric
    Willian
    Runarsson

I could name more.

D Suarez.

Wowzers, that was a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Of all the things that have happened lately, there are 2 things Id love an answer to - Saliba and Martinelli.
    Saliba was never even given a chance, seeing as how the likes of Willian has been given chance after chance the treatment of Saliba really baffled me, he must have been turgid altogether in training. I have no account of how his loan spell is going either.

There have been several games lately that have been crying out for Martinelli, even former players like Keown have been calling for him to start. He finally gets his chance last weekend and gets motm against Newcastle. Surely he deserved more than 25 odd minutes last night, in a game where we desperately needed some spark and whatever tactics were in play clearly weren't working, Martinelli only came on sometime around the 65th minute.

Balogun is another that id like to know more about but hopefully we'll see him get some gametime in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Squillaci
    Chamakh
    Gervinho
    Santos
    Park
    J Campbell
    Jenkinson
    Sanogo
    Wellbeck
    Chambers
    Debuchy
    Gabriel P
    Elneny
    Mustafi
    Perez
    Miki
    Kolasinac
    Torreria
    Sokratis
    Guendouzi
    D Suarez
    Lichsteiner
    Saliba
    Cedric
    Willian
    Runarsson

I could name more.

Lucas Perez, serious panic signing.

Lucas Perez, serious panic signing.

Scored a hat trick in the Champions League for us.

Back when we tried to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

This guy is usually credible tbf.

Also tweeted that KSE want to see significant improvement from start of next term, but will also back Arteta in transfer market this summer.

Makes sense, right? Yeah we'll give you money to spend, but start next season badly and you're gone. Either these tweets are bull or KSE haven't got a fcking clue, both likely true.

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1390669884116320270?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OmegaGene wrote: »

He’s not faultless, with the stats suggesting he makes too many individual errors and only wins an average number of aerial duels considering his height. But he’s young, there’s time to iron that out and he still looks an improvement on what Arsenal have.

I've only watched him twice when playing for Nice and both times he failed to impress. Looked very error prone, uncertain when on the ball, and was caught "ball watching" as we used to call it on several occasions.

Arteta is toast. He's leaving good players on the bench and persisting with poor players like Nketiah. He spent money on flops like Willian and Partey (both of whom have flattered to deceive) and meantime, Martinelli, Balogun, and Saliba are out in the cold pretty much.

He is a yes-man and he wants other yes men around him. He cant handle big personalities at all and he has choked creativity out of the team. Ive no issue with him injecting discipline which he has done, but if you are going to replace Guendouzi, at least replace him with a better player. Partey has been abysmal. 45m and 200k a week :eek:

Any football club with the slightest bit of footballing ambition wouldn't let this linger on. Abramovich who seems to actually have an interest in the game would have sacked him first thing this morning. So would City. Unfortunately, he'll eventually be replaced by another clueless manager no doubt when we get off to a stinker next season and the threat of relegation is hanging over us. The blind are leading the blind. Genuinely fearful for the next few years while KSE are there.

This guy is usually credible tbf.

Also tweeted that KSE want to see significant improvement from start of next term, but will also back Arteta in transfer market this summer.

Makes sense, right? Yeah we'll give you money to spend, but start next season badly and you're gone. Either these tweets are bulk or KSE haven't got a fcking clue, both likely true.

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1390669884116320270?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Arteta is toast. He's leaving good players on the bench and persisting with poor players like Nketiah. He spent money on flops like Willian and Partey (both of whom have flattered to deceive) and meantime, Martinelli, Balogun, and Saliba are out in the cold pretty much.

He is a yes-man and he wants other yes men around him. He cant handle big personalities at all and he has choked creativity out of the team. Ive no issue with him injecting discipline which he has done, but if you are going to replace Guendouzi, at least replace him with a better player. Partey has been abysmal. 45m and 200k a week :eek:

Any football club with the slightest bit of footballing ambition wouldn't let this linger on. Abramovich who seems to actually have an interest in the game would have sacked him first thing this morning. So would City. Unfortunately, he'll eventually be replaced by another clueless manager no doubt when we get off to a stinker next season and the threat of relegation is hanging over us. The blind are leading the blind. Genuinely fearful for the next few years while KSE are there.

Partey is a seriously good player, he has proved that at Atletico and was solid for years. What happened to him since he came to Arsenal can be debated. Again, it could point back to Arteta not getting the best out of our big players for whatever reason.

Great post btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

darego wrote: »
    Partey is a seriously good player, he has proved that at Atletico and was solid for years. What happened to him since he came to Arsenal can be debated. Again, it could point back to Arteta not getting the best out of our big players for whatever reason.

Great post btw

The role he was asked to play last night was unforgivable. He was so isolated, that's on Mikel.

I'm still on board, but there has to be a timeline to all this. A transfer window and see how we go until the Christmas period. If it's a total flop leading up to that, then he can go. I keep reminding myself of the sh1t show he inherited.

emmetlego wrote: »
    The role he was asked to play last night was unforgivable. He was so isolated, that's on Mikel.

I'm still on board, but there has to be a timeline to all this. A transfer window and see how we go until the Christmas period. If it's a total flop leading up to that, then he can go. I keep reminding myself of the sh1t show he inherited.

The only worry with that is, if he does mess it up again next season and gets sacked by Christmas, that will be another year wasted and lead to us falling further behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Partey has been good when he was supported but he's been surrounded in most games by rubbish and in other games isolated so I think a top partner for him has to be the main focus in the summer we've a terrible midfield and this is where most of our issues are stemming from defence is fine and attack is fantastic but it's just starved to death !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The old “war chest” hook will be dangled over the fans until the end of the summer.

If there is transfer money I wouldn’t waste any of it on Arteta. Sorry to be blunt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Advertisement

Partey has been good when he was supported but he's been surrounded in most games by rubbish and in other games isolated so I think a top partner for him has to be the main focus in the summer we've a terrible midfield and this is where most of our issues are stemming from defence is fine and attack is fantastic but it's just starved to death !

He's lacking a lot of speed that he used to have

Balogun is playing now for the u23s, means he won't be involved at the weekend.
    He's probably playing to try and prevent them from getting relegated.

I'm surprised they are aware of any problems.

TBH looking at the likely leavers I can only imagine how pissed off Lacazette is. He's been good in patches this season but the vast majority of the time even if things aren't working he's one of the few players who looks like he's actually trying to make things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hard to judge Partey on games where he's left to do all the dog work on his own, it was a bizarre decision not to bring in Elneny when Xhaka pulled up in the warm-up. Especially after the torrid time they gave Partey on his own in the first leg.

We ended up playing 5 attacking players who have had nearly all their attacking instincts coached out of them, usually trying to (eventually) get wide to fire in crosses even though we don't have any kind of target man to get on the end of those crosses. They were bread and butter for Albiol as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

TBH looking at the likely leavers I can only imagine how pissed off Lacazette is. He's been good in patches this season but the vast majority of the time even if things aren't working he's one of the few players who looks like he's actually trying to make things happen.
    He was one of Wenger's worst signings. For fifty million you expect a lot better. A hopeless finisher who lacks composure in front of goal, which is odd, considering he was touted as the new Ian Wright.

• Advertisement

There are very few players in this squad I would feel sorry for or be sorry to see the back of.

Constant disappointed. Would get more consistency from my Sunday league team.

Joe Willock scored again tonight for Newcastle against Leicester.

If the powers that be are keeping him and I’m not surprised tbh then we just have to get hope for the best.The real test for Arteta is a full season with no European trips and if he can’t progress up the table then the powers that be have their answer
    I think the last time chelsea missed out on Europe finishing 8/9th they won the league the following season

they did spend mad money that summer though!

Arsenal are relegation fodder next season... Arteta coached by he attacking instinct out of the 5 attacking players on the field last night.... Lacazette is a worse signing than Lucas Perez... Partey is rubbish... Partey is brilliant... Partey is only good when he has a good player beside him....

Ya gotta love this thread at times. Comedy Gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »
    Arsenal are relegation fodder next season... Arteta coached by he attacking instinct out of the 5 attacking players on the field last night.... Lacazette is a worse signing than Lucas Perez... Partey is rubbish... Partey is brilliant... Partey is only good when he has a good player beside him....

I know classic stuff, in fairness I do judge players on a weekly basis based on the match being played, somtines I like them sometimes they're ****:) but all this talk if relegation and the likes is ridiculous

• Advertisement

Joe Willock scored again tonight for Newcastle against Leicester.

He's having a cracker

Rodgers is really trying to pull a Rodgers with this result. 3-0 against Newcastle. Even we beat them with resting players

Make that 4-0 lol

Are Newcastle really beating Leicester 4-0?

That can't be true. They're managed by Brendan Rodgers and despite him being knocked out much earlier in the Europa than us he is a much better manager than Emery or Arteta. Madness to think someone wanted him near our club.

Willock seems to have found a bit of form (freedom?) At Newcastle which is very interesting to see. It would be nice to see if he could carry some of that back with him for next season.

I heard Alex Ferguson lost a match once. He obviously was useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Rogers was miles clear in top 4 last year aswell and did his level best to throw it away , looks to be repeating the trick here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont really rate Rodgers but he has Leicester consistently challenging for the top 4 whilst Arteta has us challenging for top 10.

Are Newcastle really beating Leicester 4-0?

That can't be true. They're managed by Brendan Rodgers and despite him being knocked out much earlier in the Europa than us he is a much better manager than Emery or Arteta. Madness to think someone wanted him near our club.

Willock seems to have found a bit of form (freedom?) At Newcastle which is very interesting to see. It would be nice to see if he could carry some of that back with him for next season.

We’re not in a position to laugh at anyone. They’re still 14 points ahead of us.
    In saying that, If Rodgers blows top 4 again (from a solid points advantage) it’ll be a concern for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wouldn't be selling Guendouzi, I still think he has something to offer, I'd give him one more season.

The rest should've been sold already

I wouldn't be selling Guendouzi, I still think he has something to offer, I'd give him one more season.

His attitude was atrocious with us, and it seems to have continued with his loan club. I'd rather never see him in an Arsenal shirt again to be honest.

• Advertisement

Partey has been dogshít recently and will be a big contributor in inevitably getting this manager sacked. Cant pass water. Doesn't look confident and doesn't fill me with confidence.

The 'Lacazette worse than Lucas' theory is pure daft. Lunacy. Lacazette has actually been one of our best signings in recent years. Any goals we did score, he contributed with his immense work rate. Yes, he wanders a bit far, but he puts in one hell of a shift. I don't think he should be sold. in fact, he could arguably be captain.

You'd have to wonder about Arteta's coaching though. There is absolutely no one taking risks in the forwards. The only lad that does is arguably Martinelli and he left him on the bench. Arteta like Pep is of the school of thought that it's all about the team. Yes, that may be true, but in every team, leaders and individuals shine through. Pep gets a lot of praise, but Pep also didn't want Ibrahimovich while ironically, building a team around Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

His attitude may have been a bit stink because he is young and needs moulding into being a better man and player, but what did our club do ? Dropped him and sent him on loan

He's not some 18 year old, he's 22! We sold Nasri at 23 for having a similar attitude and he was probably a better player. Guendouzi had his chance on loan to mature and show he could cop on, but he didn't even have the maturity to recognise that he was being given a second chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

darego wrote: »
    he sure was? I never said he wasn't :pac: I actually never even mentioned Emery in my post.. all I said was I would like to see another experienced manager in charge, preferably Allegri. I probably should have worded it differently - I think it's time Arsenal had another experienced manager

it wont make a difference.

His attitude may have been a bit stink because he is young and needs moulding into being a better man and player, but what did our club do ? Dropped him and sent him on loan

Strikes me as a snowflake who needs a good kick up the Arsenal!!!

Bad attitude players are a cancer on a team. Can't take him back.

I actually liked him as a player

Leeds playing some beautiful football here again in fairness to them.

Guendouzi allegedly taunted a Brighton player over his level of wages (and ironically the Brighton player was supposedly on more). Huge level of immaturity and lack of awareness shown given the pandemic we were in with people losing jobs all around, and apparently, this was his second chance.

I cant be too hard on Arteta here. His only crime was paying big money for a replacement who isn't working out so far.

What about aubamyang going on strike at his previous club to force a move ?

There are as many storied debunking that theory as there are to back it up. His fellow ex club mates said that was just bullsh*t.

And even if it was true, how has that any effect on how Arteta treats him on his function as an Arsenal player?

Strikes me as a snowflake who needs a good kick up the Arsenal!!!
    Bad attitude players are a cancer on a team. Can't take him back.

I actually liked him as a player
    What about aubamyang going on strike at his previous club to force a move ? That’s okay but guendouzi acting a prick a couple of time warrants being banished ? I’m not so sure myself plus we don’t know the full story and we don’t even know if Arteta fecked him out it’s all done behind the scenes

Players have done far worse over the years and carried on to won’t trophies

Btw it’s 50 years today since the 70/71 double

All very fair points.

Best answer is that Arteta is committed to the same mindset as Pep brought to Barcelona. He wants this team of humble men. All well and good, but its naive to think that a group of 20/30 millionaires are going to water down their personality. You need self-efficacy to perform to a certain degree as its linked to inner belief. Pep struck gold at Barca and his reputation at Barca meant that City were always going to buy into what he is about and I would hazard a guess that there is a certain amount of indulgence there too.

When George Graham indulged 'The Tuesday club' culture at Arsenal, he knew that he didn't have a team of machines and that there is give and take involved in managing a successful football club. Fergie knew this at United. Shankly, Paisley, Clough, etc knew this also

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement