Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We're 15th after 12 games. We've only beaten 2 teams above us in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    He only played for us for a couple of years. We all remember him fondly because it was that particular couple of years where everyone seemed amazing.

And if remember correctly he forced his way out of arsenal for bigger money.

He'd be sacked if he wasn't handsome.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Arteta has gone from 10 last week to 7/4 to be gone next, most media sources are putting allegri as the fav for the job

Pffft. Allegri.

These Kroenke's have had years to plan for post-Arsene and the best they could come up with was never managed a game Arteta both times, until Emery popped up at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We’re at new lows now. Did Arteta give an interview last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The irony of course is that this is probably the best year in years for someone like Ozil. The high press game that has dominated the league for the last few years has been abandoned temporarily as players can’t do it with the congestion. Ozil would thrive now imo, just pop him in at 10 instead of lacazette, play one box to box to box and one def mid behind him and goals would rack up.

Saying ‘he goes missing’ in games is kind of missing the point about Ozil imo, he’s a creator. He’ll make 3-5 good chances a game and that’s what he’s there for. You’ve 4 defenders and a couple of centre mids to do the donkey work and get him the ball. In previous years it was harder fo carry a luxury player like that but this year is handmade for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

He did and it wasn’t great, he said something like he doesn’t know where the goals are going to come from to improve and mugged off xhaka for the red card

I miss the wenger tactic of “I did not see it”

He didn’t quite hang xhaka like he did Pepe though. I think he realised he screwed up on that before.
    Personally I don’t believe he has top coach potential but regardless he’s possibly lost the dressing room and there’s no coming back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Soups123 wrote: »
    I’m not blaming him for that I’m blaming him for

Continuing to play Bellerin week in and out. He can play Cedric or AMN there
    Playing Holding, he’s a championship player at best
    Playing Willian week in week out
    Being so negative in a game against Burnley to starting Xhaka and Elneny in Midfield, no bravery in that
    Playing Laca in this new 10 role
    Not being able to pick a starting 11 capable of scoring a goal from open play in about 7/8 games

Praising the performance against Spurs last week when we where god damn awful

Cebdric just came back from injury and is no better!

AMN is not any better than Bellerin either.. One of two good performances doesn make him world class

Willian or pepe, You choose. Both pants and the same level.

Xhaka and Elneny starting is fine. Who else you gunna start? Ozil and cabaos? LOL Ozil is **** and Cabaos is no better than xhaka/elneney. The only midfielder worth mentioning in our team is Partney. The rest are not good enough.

SO where would you play Laca then? He cant play wing, He cant play as a midfielder and he cant play anywhere in defence! The only place he can play is up top as a striker which his been crap at and you and many here were dying to see abameyang up top instead(and he still played **** btw) and now arteta is trying to see if is any decent as a number 10. This was his 2nd game as a number 10. He has been **** as well as the whole team way before Arteta made him a number 10.

We’re at new lows now. Did Arteta give an interview last night?

No he diddnt give a interview, Not in SKY anyway which i watched until the whole show ended

He did and it wasn’t great, he said something like he doesn’t know where the goals are going to come from to improve and mugged off xhaka for the red card

I miss the wenger tactic of “I did not see it”

You see a lot of you guys overexaturate and put words on peoples mouth and this is a prime example.

I just found the interview(they did not show it live btw) and this is exactly what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFemBFSo9U

Nowhere did he say the lies that you just posted.

Also: omega man you are also wrong. He slated Xhaka worse than Pepe, Go and watch and LISTEN very carefully what he said when asked about whether Xhaka's sending off was worse than Pepe's.

I swear to god some people here are making stuff up just to slaughter Arteta.

Get your "Arteta out" banners out yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought he handled the interview alright imo. Clearly the interviewer was going for the big headline cause he tried to draw him out about the red card several times. These things should be taken lightly anyway, most of it is scripted as every little thing is pounced on for clicks and sensational headlines.
    We're 5/4 to beat Southampton on Wednesday night, any other year and we'd be about 2/5 or so. 5/4 still wouldn't temp me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Cebdric just came back from injury and is no better!

AMN is not any better than Bellerin either.. One of two good performances doesn make him world class

Willian or pepe, You choose. Both pants and the same level.

Xhaka and Elneny starting is fine. Who else you gunna start? Ozil and cabaos? LOL Ozil is **** and Cabaos is no better than xhaka/elneney. The only midfielder worth mentioning in our team is Partney. The rest are not good enough.

SO where would you play Laca then? He cant play wing, He cant play as a midfielder and he cant play anywhere in defence! The only place he can play is up top as a striker which his been crap at and you and many here were dying to see abameyang up top instead(and he still played **** btw) and now arteta is trying to see if is any decent as a number 10. This was his 2nd game as a number 10. He has been **** as well as the whole team way before Arteta made him a number 10.

Okay then we might as well just pack up and go home. Nothing can be done better

We are 15th not 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

wonga77 wrote: »
    I thought he handled the interview alright imo. Clearly the interviewer was going for the big headline cause he tried to draw him out about the red card several times. These things should be taken lightly anyway, most of it is scripted as every little thing is pounced on for clicks and sensational headlines.
    We're 5/4 to beat Southampton on Wednesday night, any other year and we'd be about 2/5 or so. 5/4 still wouldn't temp me tbh

You'd nearly be tempted to back Southampton at 21/10, they're in good form and we're in the worst form I can remember, only for I wouldn't want to back against my team!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Quite apart from the ****ty results , I’m very concerned about reports of infighting and arteta losing the dressing room. If that is true then it will get worse before it gets better and lord knows we do not want to find ourselves in a relegation battle. I’d have little faith that we would fight our way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arteta is only part of the problem.

The club is dysfunctional from top to bottom. Its not going to get better any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Shure look, if the team was even half as good as that latest Adidas Originals advert we'd be top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I can honestly say in my 40odd years of supporting the club I have never seen a team so far from being capable of challenging the leading lights in the league. There were some bad years in the 80's & mid 90's but the resultant successful spells under GG & AW came at not a huge cost to the club and we always seemed capable of blooding young players too. Looking at the current set up you'd fear for the club and the direction its heading.
    There's a huge shake up required, from top to bottom IMO & that's not something likely to happen in the short or medium term. I still firmly believe we've a huge issue with the owners, and that's allowing the set up below them be anything but the streamlined set up you'd expect at an elite level club. And as much as I wan Arteta to succeed at no stage was I happy to see a novice get his first managerial role at the club as I would never ever consider the role of head coach/manager of AFC as an entry level position. I know people point at clubs abroad & other managers coming in & doing that very thing but they clearly had a stability throughout their club & a structure that allowed them to succeed, and actively assisted them in fact whilst ours appears devoid of the stability required when taking a chance on a novice.

For me the key element here is the fact it appears that Arteta has lost the dressing room, or at least enough of it to mean his tenure is in all likelihood doomed from this point on. No matter how great his potential its extremely rare for any manager, even an experienced one, to retrieve a situation like that & thats why I think the next 4 games will decide if he gets to the summer to arrest the slide. If we struggle through the next 4 games don't be deluded to think we're too big to go down, we are very much going to be in a relegation battle. No team that struggles to score goals & is as error prone is too big to overcome such huge handicaps & I genuinely fear we're going to be dragged into a battle which will provoke the question, if this does come to pass who do we want steering the ship? An inexperienced manager in his first job or an experienced hand who will do enough to drag us out of the mire? Because if it ends up like that you can be sure the money men will sit up & take notice if theres a sniff of a chance of losing the PL golden ticket. The owners depend on the income membership of the PL provides so anything potentially breaking that cashflow will be taken very seriously I suspect & if that means firing Arteta you can be 100% sure they will act.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

All I know is that of all the people in this story, Arteta is the one I believe most has the good of the club in his heart.

Can we say that about anyone else? Not most of the players. The owners? Give me a break.

So frankly, the rest of them can all p*ss off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

DvB wrote: »
    I can honestly say in my 40odd years of supporting the club I have never seen a team so far from being capable of challenging the leading lights in the league. There were some bad years in the 80's & mid 90's but the resultant successful spells under GG & AW came at not a huge cost to the club and we always seemed capable of blooding young players too. Looking at the current set up you'd fear for the club and the direction its heading.
    There's a huge shake up required, from top to bottom IMO & that's not something likely to happen in the short or medium term. I still firmly believe we've a huge issue with the owners, and that's allowing the set up below them be anything but the streamlined set up you'd expect at an elite level club. And as much as I wan Arteta to succeed at no stage was I happy to see a novice get his first managerial role at the club as I would never ever consider the role of head coach/manager of AFC as an entry level position. I know people point at clubs abroad & other managers coming in & doing that very thing but they clearly had a stability throughout their club & a structure that allowed them to succeed, and actively assisted them in fact whilst ours appears devoid of the stability required when taking a chance on a novice.

For me the key element here is the fact it appears that Arteta has lost the dressing room, or at least enough of it to mean his tenure is in all likelihood doomed from this point on. No matter how great his potential its extremely rare for any manager, even an experienced one, to retrieve a situation like that & thats why I think the next 4 games will decide if he gets to the summer to arrest the slide. If we struggle through the next 4 games don't be deluded to think we're too big to go down, we are very much going to be in a relegation battle. No team that struggles to score goals & is as error prone is too big to overcome such huge handicaps & I genuinely fear we're going to be dragged into a battle which will provoke the question, if this does come to pass who do we want steering the ship? An inexperienced manager in his first job or an experienced hand who will do enough to drag us out of the mire? Because if it ends up like that you can be sure the money men will sit up & take notice if theres a sniff of a chance of losing the PL golden ticket. The owners depend on the income membership of the PL provides so anything potentially breaking that cashflow will be taken very seriously I suspect & if that means firing Arteta you can be 100% sure they will act.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that though.

You make it sound like we need Mick McCarthy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

farna_boy wrote: »
    You make it sound like we need Mick McCarthy..

If thats what you took from that, so be it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Benfica in the Europa league

Benfica vs ARSENAL
    Real Sociedad vs MAN UTD
    Antwerp vs RANGERS
    Slavia Prague vs LEICESTER CITY
    Wolfsberger AC vs TOTTENHAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

wonga77 wrote: »
    Benfica in the Europa league

Benfica vs ARSENAL
    Real Sociedad vs MAN UTD
    Antwerp vs RANGERS
    Slavia Prague vs LEICESTER CITY
    Wolfsberger AC vs TOTTENHAM

I wonder who will be our manager by the time we face them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pretty much worst draw possible, or definitely up there.

In a 16 tie open draw that's pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

All I know is that of all the people in this story, Arteta is the one I believe most has the good of the club in his heart.

Can we say that about anyone else? Not most of the players. The owners? Give me a break.

So frankly, the rest of them can all p*ss off.

i agree with you, and i want him to be successful all the more because of that. However, it will take time, and I hope he can get enough points clocked up to buy himself some time. with no europa cup until next year perhaps he can get the time he needs with the squad now.

wtf is going on with him and Luiz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

After a night of Extreme anger and rage for everything to do with Arsenal football club, I calmed down this morning to realise if Xkaha (wish I can use more words and Rip the man's character apart) didn't get sent off we probably would have won 1/2-0.....

That is my only positive. Won't even watch on Wednesday and will check the result after. Can't have Arsenal wrecking my night again.

Ian Wright says Mikel Arteta must consider dropping Granit Xhaka, Willian and Alexandre Lacazette following Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat to Burnley on Sunday.
    The Arsenal legend says the trio “have let him down” with their performances and claims the Spaniard should turn to some of the Gunners’ young talent instead.
    Speaking to Premier League Productions, Wright said: “The manager has stuck with him [Xhaka] for a while.”

“He has shown a lot of faith in him. I think he has done the same with Willian. He has done the same with (Alexandre) Lacazette.

“I feel like at this particular moment, he has had a lot of faith in them and they have kind of let him down up to this point.

“There are players now that should be getting a blast at it now.

“Throw in Eddie Nketiah, Emile Smith-Rowe coming back on-loan and doing well at Huddersfield last season. Joe Willock, Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

“You need to do something different because if it carries on like this and he continues to have faith in these players, and they are not delivering, then I don’t know what’s going to happen next.”

Thank God for Ian Wright. Would love if they got him on the Arsecast for a chat about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Thank God for Ian Wright. Would love if they got him on the Arsecast for a chat about this.

He has his own podcast now on the ringer network called Wrighty's House. Been on a couple of months.

Wish I could agree with you on Arteta but all i see is red flags everywhere. When you're in a job less than a year and have already isolated/clashed with Ozil,Sokratis, Guendouzi, Luiz, Saliba then it clearly points to someone who is out of their depth. They're also only the ones that we know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

figure Arteta will get the sack soon. This is beyond shocking form.
    Also a really bad sign when you have players like Xhaka (I know he has previous) doing such boneheaded things.
    Shows a real lack of respect for the manager. Like what was Xhaka even getting upset at? It was an obvious yellow...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

vetinari wrote: »
    figure Arteta will get the sack soon. This is beyond shocking form.
    Also a really bad sign when you have players like Xhaka (I know he has previous) doing such boneheaded things.
    Shows a real lack of respect for the manager. Like what was Xhaka even getting upset at? It was an obvious yellow...

I think the lack of a crowd is helping him, the crowd booing last night notched up the pressure a bit I'd say.

• Advertisement

Of the many things annoying me this week, Luiz and Sokratis being called senior players is near the top. They're only in the door in terms of stature at the club, and have been more bad than good in that time.

Of the many things annoying me this week, Luiz and Sokratis being called senior players is near the top. They're only in the door in terms of stature at the club, and have been more bad than good in that time.

Thought the same Donnie. If they’re senior players then it shows how far we have dropped. Neither should even be at a club like Arsenal. Not good enough.

On your other point about backing Arteta. Unfortunately it’s not players or fans who will get him sacked, it’s results. His team selections, motivational skills and man management will also go against him. I like Arteta but the poor results will be his downfall in the long run.

Another of the things I don't believe...this nothion that Arteta was the one who pushed for Willian. Just didn't add up from the start, even less so since after about 2 games Willian has become one of the sloppiest players I can remember playing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

al87987 wrote: »
    He has his own podcast now on the ringer network called Wrighty's House. Been on a couple of months.

Wish I could agree with you on Arteta but all i see is red flags everywhere. When you're in a job less than a year and have already isolated/clashed with Ozil,Sokratis, Guendouzi, Luiz, Saliba then it clearly points to someone who is out of their depth. They're also only the ones that we know about.

Do you have a link for it, can't see on podcast addict, Spotify or the ringer site

Found it, nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I cant quite seem to work it out for sure, but it seems like we have had more jersey, training kit, banana kit, warm up kit, cool down kit etc. launches this year than we have points in the league.

You see a lot of you guys overexaturate and put words on peoples mouth and this is a prime example.

I just found the interview(they did not show it live btw) and this is exactly what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFemBFSo9U

Nowhere did he say the lies that you just posted.

Also: omega man you are also wrong. He slated Xhaka worse than Pepe, Go and watch and LISTEN very carefully what he said when asked about whether Xhaka's sending off was worse than Pepe's.

I swear to god some people here are making stuff up just to slaughter Arteta.

Get your "Arteta out" banners out yea?

Calm down. Yes he said it was a worse red card. However, post the Leeds game he said Pepe's headbutt was 'unacceptable' and accused him of 'letting the team down'. I don’t believe he was as personally harsh on Xhaka last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Azatadine wrote: »

Just shows how bad our recruitment policy has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

omega man wrote: »
    Just shows how bad our recruitment policy has been for years.

I would take Torreira back in a heart beat for the muck that is xhaka to be out on his arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Like a new signing :/

and to be fair when he came 1st and was played right he was excellent , him and partey together sounds good , but these things always sound better than they actually are

• Advertisement

I don’t believe Torreira got a fair run of games for us.
    I’d rate him ahead of Xhaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What's Torreira's excuse this time I wonder? No language barrier and I assume Spain has a similar climate to Uruguay. Maybe he just has a bad attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Two weeks ago everybody was lauding Tierney for having a go at full time, but i thought he was an idiot and thankfully Xhaka dragged him away before something escalated.

Yesterday Xhaka needed somebody to do the same for him, Laca and Auba were there and really needed to drag him away. Always hated playing with 'red mist' players but the only thing you can do is drag them away or get in the middle.

I'm not absolving Xhaka, just something i noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Odd question but Would anyone have an image or a link to the tracksuit that Arsenal wore when walking out to the pitch last night just before kickoff?

Did anything happen to the Burnley lad for throwing xhaka to the ground ? I can’t remember now xhaka was pi55ed off and rightly so but once he caught the lad by the neck it was all over thanks to var
    Funny thing is the lad wasn’t even involved in the original incident and the ref was right in front of the violent conduct offence and didn’t seem fussed at all

The way I saw it, Laca pushed Xhaka away just as the Burnley guy arrived and Xhaka tripped over him. It essentially looked to me like Laca pushed him over.

If anyone missed Evra's Henry story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I was reading what Evra said earlier, he just doesn’t give a f**k

Seems to be a bit of a turkey all the same

siblers wrote: »
    Odd question but Would anyone have an image or a link to the tracksuit that Arsenal wore when walking out to the pitch last night just before kickoff?

Was it the red thing with what looked like x’s on it?
    I thought it was some kind of prison outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arteta is doing a great job according to Edu. Arteta is doing a media press conference now ahead of tomorrow's game against Southampton (6pm).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55310671

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don’t believe Torreira got a fair run of games for us.
    I’d rate him ahead of Xhaka.

Plus he hasn't played alongside Partey...so for that alone I'd want to give him a chance. A proper chance. He can't be any worse than the knuckleheads we're playing at the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement