Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

x PyRo wrote: »
    Arteta has no chance with these. No brains. Only so much a coach can do.

Na it is all Arteta's fault right???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

How is he still in charge? Arsenal are genuine relegation contenders under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Another decent performance ruined by a sending off.

No manager can be held liable for that.

Someone quoted a stat that Arteta have overseen 7 yellows since he joined. Do they think he's telling the players to go out and foul, or maybe he's sneaking it there dressed in black tripping lads up. Pointless stat.

The main thing is that despite another game massively impacted by a referees decision we've stopped our losing streak.

COYG

Edited to add: Beers, please come back. It's tough times, but it will be tougher without the sensible posters sticking around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

There is a lot more wrong at the club than just Arteta. Any coach coming in is going to have to deal with owners who won't spend and seem to have no interest in the club except for their own purposes. Not going to be an easy fix.

Leno - 8
    Tierney - 16
    Gabriel - 0
    Holding - 0
    Maitland-Niles - 5
    Ceballos - 11
    Elneny - 79
    Saka - 4
    Nketiah - 0
    Aubameyang - 65

That's international caps of our starters tonight. Not an absolute way to measure quality but we've 4 players who've hit double figures for caps, one for Scotland, one for Egypt, one for Gabon and one for Spain. A far cry from when we had starters from Holland, France and England through the squad.

Missing tonight were Bellerin (4) and Xhaka (89) who plays for the mighty Switzerland.

Gabriel was poor for the goal and then went ahead and got himself sent off. All the hallmarks of the last Gabriel we had clowning around for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

We were poor again tonight in my opinion

8 points and 6 goals in our last 11 games

If the league had started on Gameweek 3 we'd be in the relegation zone

That's nowhere near good enough and if that happened at City/United/Spurs/Chelsea the manager would be out on his ear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

So we just got a good point. still sack arteta?

A point at home to Southampton is now a good point for some. Is this our level now?
    Yes sack him now before we’re actually in a relegation fight. Unfortunately after paying out on Emery they’ll hold on for a long as they can.
    We’re playing our worst football in decades.

omega man wrote: »
    A point at home to Southampton is now a good point for some. Is this our level now?
    Yes sack him now before we’re actually in a relegation fight. Unfortunately after paying out on Emery they’ll hold on for a long as they can.

I agree we're playing like crap, but Southampton were actually top of the league if they held on for the win, and we were down to 10 men.

You need to apply context to your post. We were on course for a record breaking run of home defeats. We were 1-0 down at half time. We were down to 10 men early in the second half. A point in that context is fantastic.

Pretty much. Did anyone expect us to win tonight?
    Tonight was expected to be a struggle. And that expectation was accepted. That's the level we're at now.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They shouldn’t have been allowed to dominate the first half at the Emirates, Walcott got through so easily and only for them backing off in the second half it would have been a loss
    We can’t win games without having shots on target and if we can’t even keep the ball how’s that going to improve anytime soon, players in training seem happy but in the pitch they look as ****ed if as we are

They were on top for the first 30 minutes. Then we came back in to it for the last 15 of the first half. Then we looked great for the start of the second half, and equalized superbly with a team goal. Then the red card came in the 62nd minute and understandably we changed tact to retain the point. Before that red though it was 50:50 who was better (both 30 minutes) and without the red I am fully confident we would've got the win.

Again it's all about context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I actually think we're were on to win both of those games before the red cards, which must be awful for Arteta. Saka is our best player by an absolute mile, can't believe some don't rate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

AdamD wrote: »
    I actually think we're were on to win both of those games before the red cards, which must be awful for Arteta. Saka is our best player by an absolute mile, can't believe some don't rate him.

More likely tonight just after we scored...but against Burnley I saw nothing to suggest we would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

Quazzie wrote: »
    You need to apply context to your post. We were on course for a record breaking run of home defeats. We were 1-0 down at half time. We were down to 10 men early in the second half. A point in that context is fantastic.

Oh I get the context but that’s the problem.
    Context shouldn’t be an excuse to forget we’re at the lowest point since pre Wenger and playing an awful brand of football too. I can’t see any positives from tonight’s game.

Quazzie wrote: »

Against one of the best side's in the league currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Positives for me from tonight’s game
    Auba scored and looked happy
    Willian and bellerin were not around to back pass and lose possession
    Saka played well

I think we were getting forward well you could see they were told to speed up the build up play, Ceballos was playing some great balls. Can’t say we missed having Xhaka in midfield flailing around like a dying giraffe.

1-1 with 10 men against an in form Southampton team is a good point for me

Luiz was also solid off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Think I’ve found the key to picking up points. I didn’t watch the game. I’ll try that again on Saturday, that will be a real test!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Arsenal FC: The decline On the Athletic is an excellent read. Written by Gunnerblog and Ornstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

that sounds too depressing

Any signs of optimism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Reports in the press edu could be on the way out to be replaced by overmars

The one that I read said that it was more likely that Overmars would be joining Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Reports in the press edu could be on the way out to be replaced by overmars

That would be fantastic if true , for some reason can't see it happening though

emmetlego wrote: »
    Arsenal FC: The decline On the Athletic is an excellent read. Written by Gunnerblog and Ornstein

I think it's time for me to turn off tweet notifications for Ornstein. He used to be good when he had some kind of inside word at the club, then for a good while he had nothing interesting.....now it's constant notifications with stuff he's writing about the downfall of Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I’m going to stay positive for the next game
    Doom and gloom Ornestien needs to feck off
    We are going to beat Everton I’m sure of it, bellerin and Willian need to stay at home, surely we should start saliba now before he gets the arse hole and joins Ozil on the naughty step
    All the back passing crap needs to stop, I miss the old days of constant passing and keeping possession

Pretty sure saliba isn't registered so he can't play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We are going to beat Everton I’m sure of it, bellerin and Willian need to stay at home, surely we should start saliba now before he gets the arse hole and joins Ozil on the naughty step
    All the back passing crap needs to stop, I miss the old days of constant passing and keeping possession

Saliba can't play until January as he's not registered. There is some good news out there though. Martinelli has not been selected for the U23 tonight which could well mean he'll be in the squad for tomorrow's game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

greendom wrote: »
    Saliba can't play until January as he's not registered. There is some good news out there though. Martinelli has not been selected for the U23 tonight which could well mean he'll be in the squad for tomorrow's game

Surely not, he has only played 45mins so far i believe.
    Hopefully not a setback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Martinelli surely couldnt be ready for first team action already?

If arsenal win today are gunna back Arteta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

If arsenal win today are gunna back Arteta?

I think most Arsenal fans back Arteta. You don't know much about football if you don't think the players and the attitudes are the major issue at Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I think most Arsenal fans back Arteta. You don't know much about football if you don't think the players and the attitudes are the major issue at Arsenal.

And the recruitment "strategy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Feeling good about today! Wins for Leinster, Dublin and Arsenal please. COYG

DenMan wrote: »

It's the most ridiculous thing in the world, but there was one single post here yesterday that said we'd beat Everton, and since I read that bit by bit I've been thinking, y'know we could do this.

Then I get up this morning thinking COME ON, we can totally beat Everton. It's happenning today! Let's do this!

This one, I mean.

Come on, Arsenal!

DenMan wrote: »

I'll go for Leinster, Mayo and Arsenal please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'll go for Leinster, Mayo and Arsenal please

Munster, Mayo and Arsenal for me, please!

• Advertisement

mossie wrote: »
    Munster, Mayo and Arsenal for me, please!

Shows how much of a rugby head I am, didn't even know Munster were playing. Will change my answer from lenister to Munster so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Have to say my head and heart are torn in our current situation. Part of me thinks it’s so bad Arteta needs to go but there is the part of me that really really wants him to be the man who comes good.

Situation we are in now, top 4 ain’t happening, relegation ain’t happen, so maybe we just got to let him keep working, back him in January and see how it goes, basically give him to end of season to get it right or a good step in the direction of right.

If stories are to be believed he has a few ass***** in the squad so he needs to cut everyone of them loose.

I do really want him to be the man, I think he has so much potential and sure how much worse can it get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’d give him the season too.

The only worries I have is in attracting new targets.
    We are not the desirable destination for good players anymore and if we don’t get European football ( very unlikely) and have the rumours of bad blood in the dressingroom coming out then we will find it hard to get the quality we need.
    Having an unproven manager at the helm won’t help either.

We need to ship out a lot of the squad and bring in proper replacements but will that happen?

Team news coming very soon! COYG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

wonga77 wrote: »
    Martinelli surely couldnt be ready for first team action already?

He's been out now since 1973 it feels like.
    Hopefully he can find the form he had before injury.

My favourite arsenal player by far.

• Advertisement

No Auba in the squad

Arsenal XI: Leno, Tierney, Saka, Ceballos, Willian, Maitland-Niles, Holding, Pepe, Luiz, Elneny, Nketiah

Subs: Runarsson, Bellerin, Lacazette, Soares, Mustafi, Willock, Kolasinac, Smith Rowe, Martinelli

Very strange team???

Auba injured it seems with a tight calf. Explains why Martinelli is in the squad I guess.
    Pepe needs to deliver tonight cos it's Willian and Nketiah up there with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Very. He must be injured or something.

Auba injured it seems. Explains why Martinelli is in the squad I guess.
    Pepe needs to deliver tonight cos it's Willian and Nketiah up there with him

Pepe, Willian and Nkethia doesn’t promise a lot.
    I don’t see where goals will come from.

Pepe, Willian and Nkethia doesn’t promise a lot.
    I don’t see where goals will come from.

Smith Rowe and Martinelli when they come off the bench :)

Aubamyang is missing with a tight calf

The most Arsenal thing ever after him finally breaking his duck the other day.

If Willian gets a red, do we get 3 games without him? Just wondering.

I see Liverpool set down a bit of a marker today, goals scored wise.

It's gonna be tough, but I think we can top it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement