Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good ebening.

Gib it' Giggsy to the end of the season

Give what to Giggsy? Willian's contract.

Putting the con into contract right before our eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I feel bad for him. Really wanted this to work. Loved him as a player and seems a top bloke. But I think we're at the point now where he needs to go.

And take half the squad with him.

Exactly how I feel.

It sounds like hyperbole but we're in relegation form and I don't see it turning around soon and turning around under arteta. I like him, but this is getting serious now and times up I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Surely it’ll be hard to attract the players we need in January when we’re sitting 17th.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They need to do something Monday morning, this can’t carry on into the transfer window

Who’s out there that would take the job ??
    Some people are saying viera and Henry double act but that’s just a sentimental idea surely

Poch. Just posted in the General thread. Seems like perfect timing to get him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Poch. Just posted in the General thread. Seems like perfect timing to get him in.

Absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Mkhitaryan
    The Jeff
    Danny Welbeck
    Theo Walcott
    Iwobi

All players I don’t even particularly like but would still do a better job than that turkey Willian. Jobs for the boys all day with that transfer.

7 goals in 12 league games for Mhki in Roma. Let him go on a free because Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I don't think Poch would take the job. I'd love him but I couldn't see it.

al87987 wrote: »
    7 goals in 12 league games for Mhki in Roma. Let him go on a free because Arsenal

Meh he was poor in England but still better than Willian has been for us.

Add Ozil onto that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

as much as I wanted Mikel to succeed he's got to go , he's not the only problem clearly but I think who ever comes in now , comes in at the perfect time , can use ozil if he wishes, can get rid of a load of deadwood (contracts expiring) and possibly get 1 or 2 players in january

I'd go all out to get Hassenhutl personally , knows the league , is liked by all of his squad there and did great in the bundesliga and would know that league and could convince him to come aswell

• Advertisement

Meh he was poor in England but still better than Willian has been for us.

Add Ozil onto that list

My point was more down to financial mismanagement again. He had a decent loan spell with them, surely could have got 5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Azatadine wrote: »

I hate reddit. Such an ugly site to use.

I don't think Poch would take the job. I'd love him but I couldn't see it.

Would have thought the same a few weeks ago but with United doing decent in the league and the board not sacking Ole after the Leipzig game he won't be waiting around for that job much longer. Arsenal might be in a bad spot right now but it's still a well known club so if he took the job it wouldn't be seen as a step down. He's also have plenty of time to shape the team. If Emery gets a year and a half then they will give Poch atleast 2 years. Don't see how he couldn't take it at this stage to be honest.

Arteta has to go, as bad as some of these players are the squad is nowhere near its current league position.

When it comes to a replacement though i am stumped, don't see how we could attract an Allegri/Poch. Even a Hassenhuttl or Rodgers would be mad to leave their posts for it.

There was a reason we had to give the job to Arteta last time out, it's not really a coveted position anymore with our financial limitations, terrible management structure and average playing squad. It's all just so doom and gloom.

Delighted to see Martinelli back at least.

Would have thought the same a few weeks ago but with United doing decent in the league and the board not sacking Ole after the Leipzig game he won't be waiting around for that job much longer. Arsenal might be in a bad spot right now but it's still a well known club so if he took the job it wouldn't be seen as a step down. He's also have plenty of time to shape the team. If Emery gets a year and a half then they will give Poch atleast 2 years. Don't see how he couldn't take it at this stage to be honest.

Poch is an honest and loyal manager.

He'll never manage Arsenal or Barca

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Did the bad run start when the premier league and Europa league squads were announced ? Just a theory that this messed up the dressing room but maybe not

Nope, they were saying on the Arsecast that apart from the cup run, everything since project restart has been this kind of form, although not quite this bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I said around the time Emery left that the only two names we were linked with that I actually would have liked to take over would be Poch or Rafa Benitez. I know Rafa would probably be a bit of an unpopular choice but he'd definitely organise this team and get us performing to a decent level. Problem is he's too busy being semi - retired raking it in over in China.

Quazzie wrote: »

I'd imagine he's finding this quite hilarious while he waits for United to phone him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nope, they were saying on the Arsecast that apart from the cup run, everything since project restart has been this kind of form, although not quite this bad.

This is the thing, we've been blindsided by the cup runs, our league form with Arteta last season was sh1te too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Just saw the result. Thankfully after watching the Dubs I wasn’t too angry to see we’d lost.
    Despite that I’m very worried.

The club took a massive punt on Arteta based on nothing but training ground talk from pep etc.
    He was given an opportunity to put his stamp on the team but somehow managed to change very little and we’ve actually regressed below Emery’s low point. Personally I think he put faith in senior players who didn’t deserve it and shame on them too but it’s time to go sadly.

• Advertisement

I don't know, sacking him after he took them to a CL final would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Especially after giving him 100 million in the transfer market and then sacking him only 2 and a half months later.

I didn't get to see the game today, but from watching highlights on the Forza football app, it looks like it was all Arsenal in the second half? Is that how it really was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I didn't get to see the game today, but from watching highlights on the Forza football app, it looks like it was all Arsenal in the second half? Is that how it really was?

Yup we dominated a team for once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yup we dominated a team for once

You’re not dominating Jack s*** if you’re not scoring goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Fulham winning which is bad for us. Cant believe I am typing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The purchase of Luiz and Willian speak volumes.... We were played and fell for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The purchase of Luiz and Willian speak volumes.... We were played and fell for it

Why does he keep playing Willian?

tim payton
    @timpayton
    Arteta has had quite a lot of say. He signed and plays Willian. He signed Ceballos. He persuaded Xhaka to stay. He agreed to Mari and Cedric transfers. He pushed out Ozil & Torreria & Guendozi. He selects his 11 from a big pool of players. Can’t abdicate the responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Everton did what other teams do to us I.e. let us have the ball in safe areas and watch us pass it sideways and backwards. When we try get into dangerous areas they press and take it back.
    We posed no threat until the final 5/10 minutes.
    Pickford had to make one save.
    We dominated nothing.

• Advertisement

Everton did what other teams do to us I.e. let us have the ball in safe areas and watch us pass it sideways and backwards. When we try get into dangerous areas they press and take it back.
    We posed no threat until the final 5/10 minutes.
    Pickford had to make one save.
    We dominated nothing.

Once again, possesion stats are absolutely meaningless.

We had a handful of half chances when we were supposed to be chasing a game against Everton. Not Liverpool or City or even Tottenham. Everton.

Dominated. Ha.

This is why I have some sympathy for Arteta.

I don't know what in the name of jesus we're at with transfers, but this sort of rubbish was happening before he turned up, and I refuse to believe he came in and they said "okay, it's all up to you now!".

Edit: And if they did, that's even worse for a bloke who has never manages before and needs all the help he can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This is why I have some sympathy for Arteta.

I don't know what in the name of jesus we're at with transfers, but this sort of rubbish was happening before he turned up, and I refuse to believe he came in and they said "okay, it's all up to you now!".

Edit: And if they did, that's even worse for a bloke who has never manages before and needs all the help he can get.

He asked for Luiz to be kept in fairness. Himself and Edu havent a clue unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

These two signings, along with the Cedric deal give me absolutely no confidence and belief going forward. Whoever thought these were going to be good deals are absolutely clueless. Cedric and Willian are a complete waste of time and funds. Unfortunately we are stuck with them now for the next 2 or 3 years. What an absolute mess, especially for a club that needs to rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've never felt so down because of Arsenal ............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I remember reading an article where Southampton couldn't believe that a big club like Arsenal were coming in for Cedric, sure he was injured when he signed the papers. The whole thing is bizarre.
    Willian looks like a fella that stumbled into the grounds and put on a shirt, his decline is bizarre also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

wonga77 wrote: »
    I remember reading an article where Southampton couldn't believe that a big club like Arsenal were coming in for Cedric, sure he was injured when he signed the papers. The whole thing is bizarre.
    Willian looks like a fella that stumbled into the grounds and put on a shirt, his decline is bizarre also

Yeah we paid a loan fee for him and he only had 6 months left on his southampton deal. He then was practically injured for his loan spell and then Arsenal give him a 4 year deal at age 29 after barely kicking a ball.

This from a club that were reluctant to give Bergkamp and Pires more than a 1 year deal after they turned 30. (I know it was different owners back then). Just goes to show what an absolute shambles we are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

That 1 year deal for over 30s used to sicken my sh1t. I was disgusted at some of the players we lost over it

I've never felt so down because of Arsenal ............

From a sporting perspective yes but don’t let it affect you personally.
    I love sport but I’ve learned over time to know when to step back and see the bigger picture, especially this year!

Must kill academy kids like Reis Nelson and Smith Rowe to see Willian start week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Is THIS the worst moment? Is THIS the new dawn?

F*** me. Terrible game.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Is THIS the worst moment? Is THIS the new dawn?

F*** me. Terrible game.

In terms of the actual match, we've been worse in other games recently.

In terms of the absolute state of us, yes this is the worst moment.

In terms of a new dawn, what in God's name makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

In terms of a new dawn, what in God's name makes you think that?

Only so far though. There’s worse still to come...

L'prof wrote: »
    Only so far though. There’s worse still to come...

If Brighton & Burnley win their games at hand, we're 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I strongly advocated for Arteta but I was wrong. I'm sure that had Ancelotti taken the helm at the Emirates a year ago and Arteta had gone to Everton our places would be reversed.

The players seem to be losing ability by the week. Lacazette was a decent striker, now he looks like a donkey. Auba is shorn of all confidence. Bellerin is regressing and is struggling with throw ins FFS. We seem incapable of creating space and chances and yet Ozil has been sidelined.

With the players we have, we should be top 6 at least.

We need a manager to come in in, instill a bit of belief and a game plan that uses and maximises the players at our disposal. I would have loved that manager to be After but it's become patently clear that he's not the man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We need a manager that does not want to be one of the lads and be "Friends" with everyone.....we need a ruthless & experienced manager that will take no **** and play the basics 1st and foremost and stop putting players in positions that are not 100% right for them.

Diego Simione for me, but that aint gonna happen. But I think everything has to be done to get Allegri at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    We need a manager that does not want to be one of the lads and be "Friends" with everyone.....we need a ruthless & experienced manager that will take no **** and play the basics 1st and foremost and stop putting players in positions that are not 100% right for them.

Diego Simione for me, but that aint gonna happen. But I think everything has to be done to get Allegri at this stage.

Yet Arteta seems pretty adept at alienating players. Ozil and Guendozi for starters and Balogun now if rumours are to be believed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

omega man wrote: »
    From a sporting perspective yes but don’t let it affect you personally.
    I love sport but I’ve learned over time to know when to step back and see the bigger picture, especially this year!

100%

Look it's not great to see Arsenal doing rubbish, but after the year that we've all had I can't get too stressed about football anymore.

It's only a bit of craic really. We get too wrapped up in it and grant it too much importance. I think a lot of it is down to how much coverage it's given in the media. Something that ever present has to be important right? Well, no not really. It's a bad day, it was a bad game, but there'll be another after that..and another after that..Will Arteta get the sack? Will he not? Ah, sure, lookit, the world is going to still keep turning.

This year was good for perspective I thought.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, follow it and I wish Arsenal were doing better, but I'm not going to be literally depressed over it if that isn't the case.

But, yeah: can't see Arteta in place for too much longer. I feel for him. It's not his fault he was hired. It's not his fault that the club is a mess or that the squad that's been assembled is not up to it, but the gamble - and it always was a gamble - hasn't paid off.

It's a pity. Whether we thought he was the right man for the job, we all wanted to succeed and were prepared to wait for things to work. But things aren't working.

greendom wrote: »
    Yet Arteta seems pretty adept at alienating players. Ozil and Guendozi for starters and Balogun now if rumours are to be believed!

What’s the word on Balogun? He looks like another kid we’d wanna hold onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

One thing is for sure, we no way deserved to lose that match last night.

Also for the love of God stop thinking Ozil would have us in a better position. Ye all never shut up giving out about him when he was playing.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, we no way deserved to lose that match last night.

Also for the love of God stop thinking Ozil would have us in a better position. Ye all never shut up giving out about him when he was playing.

Who said that about ozil? I may have mentioned that he’s better than Willian but that’s about it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement