Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Who said that about ozil? I may have mentioned that he’s better than Willian but that’s about it

Read back over the comments and he is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/12/20/arsenal-news-willians-shocking-stats-vs-everton/

Speaking of Willian, it reflects really poorly on Arteta that he seems to be obsessed with playing him. Is he blind or insanely stubborn? Either way, its a big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, we no way deserved to lose that match last night.

Also for the love of God stop thinking Ozil would have us in a better position. Ye all never shut up giving out about him when he was playing.

Didn't deserve much more than they got really. Very easily contained.

Have to say the body language doesn't look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Azatadine wrote: »
    https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/12/20/arsenal-news-willians-shocking-stats-vs-everton/

Speaking of Willian, it reflects really poorly on Arteta that he seems to be obsessed with playing him. Is he blind or insanely stubborn? Either way, its a big mistake.

I knew when I saw the team sheet with Willian in it yday that we weren’t gonna win. We essentially have 10 men on the pitch when he’s playing, he’s already made mistakes that led to goals, failed to defend simple runs, contributed fùck all but a couple of assists and collects a nice wage for it too.

Obviously won’t happen but the best thing for all parties would be to cut him loose in January. Arteta is the one that starts him every week though so the buck stops with him.

I know Willian isn’t the source of all our problems but he’s quite an obvious one that we could easily try to fix.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Didn't deserve much more than they got really. Very easily contained.

Have to say the body language doesn't look great.

I will admit it's extremely tough times but last night was two toothless teams that deserved to draw.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Do we have rules now about what or who can be discussed here ?

Nothing wrong with talking about Ozil as an option as it’s a discussion forum
    Much like people are debating Arteta being right for the role, it will never stop until he actually manages the squad into some kind of a team better than you would see in the championship

Ozil and saliba not being included is a major talking point along with playing Willian

Calm down, your very sensitive this morning. I just made the point that Ozil didn't perform before he get got cut. So talking about him as a solution doesn't help arsenal in the slightest. Agree on Saliba. He must be shocking bad in traininh though. Willian has disappointed but I was delighted when we signed him.

I am perfectly calm, you are the one telling people to stop talking about Ozil
    Nobody knows why his performance wasn’t up to scratch previously, some stories doing the rounds about a bad back and he was playing on pain injections either way it is an option to be discussed to try and salvage a couple of points to save us from total embarrassment

Will take 16th and a Europa League win right now if I was offered it.

Follow with a summer of a massive clear out. I've a lost of 5 players. The rest can go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

It starts from the top, when you have owners who simply don't care, the execs below them feel no pressure to perform. Forget the football for one second, Swiss Ramble has a brilliant twitter thread on Arsenal's commercial performance under the Gazidis stewardship and we were falling behind our competitors on every metric out there in terms of revenue growth and cost control. He did an objectively bad job.

Now we've had this merry go round mess with Sanllehi, Mislintat, Edu (who brings what to the table, exactly?) and it's clear to see that the Kroenke's are making a cat's backside of this. I think the appointment of Tim Lewis was a recognition of this and shortly after he arrived, Sanlehi was gone. Maybe Tim Lewis is here to clean up the mess. I hope he is, but that will take time.

As long as the Kroenke's are in charge, we will have these problems. We got away with it for so long because Wenger basically oversaw everything on the football side. This was bound to happen when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

On players: Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, AMN, Partey, Saka, Martinelli, Willock, ESR, Nelson, Eddie, Balogun, Auba.

The above I'd keep. Pretty much all the rest can go imo.

• Advertisement

On players: Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, AMN, Partey, Saka, Martinelli, Willock, ESR, Nelson, Eddie, Balogun, Auba.

The above I'd keep. Pretty much all the rest can go imo.

Eddie can go, unless u want him for 3/4 choice. He isn't good enough.

Can we just forgot 2020 on sporting terms. Arsenal the worst they have been in my lifetime, Cork City football club relegated and take over falling through. Kerry Gaa football lose in the Munster semi final and don't even reach all Ireland series. Kerry hurlers lose in Joe Mcdonagh final. My hurling team out in the first round of championship. Irish international football can't score a goal or win a match.

So basically the worst year ever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1340603582740094979

Don't know if he's in the know as much these days but still.

Azatadine wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1340603582740094979

Don't know if he's in the know as much these days but still.

Good to hear, I don't think there is much choice other then sticking with him through the squad change over. They need to get requirement right though. Gab and partey quailty of player. Can't afford any more mistakes aka Cedric, William, Mari, saliba, laca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It starts from the top, when you have owners who simply don't care, the execs below them feel no pressure to perform. Forget the football for one second, Swiss Ramble has a brilliant twitter thread on Arsenal's commercial performance under the Gazidis stewardship and we were falling behind our competitors on every metric out there in terms of revenue growth and cost control. He did an objectively bad job.

Now we've had this merry go round mess with Sanllehi, Mislintat, Edu (who brings what to the table, exactly?) and it's clear to see that the Kroenke's are making a cat's backside of this. I think the appointment of Tim Lewis was a recognition of this and shortly after he arrived, Sanlehi was gone. Maybe Tim Lewis is here to clean up the mess. I hope he is, but that will take time.

As long as the Kroenke's are in charge, we will have these problems. We got away with it for so long because Wenger basically oversaw everything on the football side. This was bound to happen when he left.

It was my belief for several years Arsene clung on because he knew it would go to shìt if it was left in these clowns' hands.

You know the way we lost at home to Burnley the other day? His last home game was 5-0 against Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think we should be discarding any players until we can see what a new manager can get out of them

• Advertisement

This was Wenger's last line up
    David Ospina,
    Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi, Sead Kolasinac,
    Granit Xhaka, Aaron Ramsey, Alex Iwobi, Henrikh Mkhitaryan,
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette

Far too many of these still at the club.
    Have we improved any of these positions with better signings?

This was Wenger's last line up
    David Ospina,
    Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi, Sead Kolasinac,
    Granit Xhaka, Aaron Ramsey, Alex Iwobi, Henrikh Mkhitaryan,
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette

Far too many of these still at the club.
    Have we improved any of these positions with better signings?

If we had Ramsey now, I'd say we'd be at least 6 points better off.

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think we should be discarding any players until we can see what a new manager can get out of them

We have had 3 managers try get more out of these players consistently. With all producing failure.
    Discaring most of them is the only way froward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So apparently the reason why Ozil got ommited from the squad was because of chinese investment with arsenal.

Since Ozil's statement about how muslims are treated in China about a year ago i believe? china pulled investment and showing games of arsenal.

It makes sense really and why we all believe that Ozil beng ommited from the squad wasnt Arteta's decision but the guys higher up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

We have had 3 managers try get more out of these players consistently. With all producing failure.
    Discaring most of them is the only way froward.

Once again, this isn't a computer game, you can't just sell 10 - 15 players on a whim. It just doesn't happen, we couldn't even get rid of ozil and sokratis in the last window, even kolasinac didnt have any offers afaik.
    Best hope is to remove 2 to 3 in the windows ahead and even that's a stretch, who in their right mind would buy some of our players? With each passing match we're becoming less attractive too. Why the hell would Aoaur or however you spell it give up what he has at Lyon to join this sh1tshow

• Advertisement

and the manager getting the least out of them and banishing players all round him is the current one, but he looks good on camera talking to the press and can talk the talk thats for sure

His won an FA cup and got results against the top 6 which emery and wenger struggled with.

You were all slating arteta for paying ozil and ganduzzi before and now that they been dropped, your still complaining.

Fact is the players his dropped are not good enough and so is majority of the squad but he cant drop all 25 players right?!?!

wonga77 wrote: »
    Once again, this isn't a computer game, you can't just sell 10 - 15 players on a whim. It just doesn't happen, we couldn't even get rid of ozil and sokratis in the last window, even kolasinac didnt have any offers afaik.
    Best hope is to remove 2 to 3 in the windows ahead and even that's a stretch, who in their right mind would buy some of our players? With each passing match we're becoming less attractive too. Why the hell would Aoaur or however you spell it give up what he has at Lyon to join this sh1tshow

Most of these players are from the wenger era and wenger hasnt been in the club for 3 years?

Yet we still have most of wengers useless bunch in there

So apparently the reason why Ozil got ommited from the squad was because of chinese investment with arsenal.

Since Ozil's statement about how muslims are treated in China about a year ago i believe? china pulled investment and showing games of arsenal.

It makes sense really and why we all believe that Ozil beng ommited from the squad wasnt Arteta's decision but the guys higher up

Is there any new news on this? This has been rumoured for ages, has it been reported somewhere recently?

and the manager getting the least out of them and banishing players all round him is the current one, but he looks good on camera talking to the press and can talk the talk thats for sure

Na not buying that for one second these players have had a free ride for years and dragging the club to the mud. Those players are a plague on and off the pitch. Have talked to loads of non arsenal fans about this and it always come down to our playing squad been poison and ****.

I will always say look at Emery now, apparently he was the major problem and not getting enough out of our sensitive soul and lazy player's. different players now and he has Villarreal 4th and only 4 points off the top of la Liga

Na not buying that for one second these players have had a free ride for years and dragging the club to the mud. Those players are a plague on and off the pitch. Have talked to loads of non arsenal fans about this and it always come down to our playing squad been poison and ****.

I will always say look at Emery now, apparently he was the major problem and not getting enough out of our sensitive soul and lazy player's. different players now and he has Villarreal 4th and only 4 points off the top of la Liga

And when Arteta gets sacked, watch him take on a top job say barcelona or PSG and win big things there and show everyone why even Pep admires him.

Its the players that are at fault. Sack Arteta all you want but this time next year with the new manager we will be revisting this discussion again.

The SQUAD is awful . HOW MANY TIMES WE GOTTA SAY THIS?!?!?

End of the day its clear on two things.

1. it is not arteta's decision(he played him a lot when arteta joined us)

2. Its political as even a have arsed Ozil is still good enough to be in the 25 man squad. he would even be good enough for any of the best european side's 25 man squad!

Now with Saliba.

The reason why he has been left out was because his mum passed away in the summer and he wanted to go back to playing in france

And also, saliba never had a proper loaned season last season due to covid and injuries.

He simply needs a whole season of regular football somewhere before being thrown in the deep end.

using capitals does not make your point come across any better lol

psg and barca have massive finance behind them so there is no real comparison

Ok if Arteta joined Lecister city, he would push on and make them title contenders but fall a bit short.

Point is, Arteta would be miles better with a half decent squad of players.

And when Arteta gets sacked, watch him take on a top job say barcelona or PSG and win big things there and show everyone why even Pep admires him.

Its the players that are at fault. Sack Arteta all you want but this time next year with the new manager we will be revisting this discussion again.

Ya I imagine barca and psg are tapping up Arteta as we speak, we'll do well to hold onto him

Ya I imagine barca and psg are tapping up Arteta as we speak, we'll do well to hold onto him

Well barcelona's current manager is a shambles, look at them lol but PSG should be fine, they have good manager.

Point is, Arteta in a half decent squad would do the business

Ok if Arteta joined Lecister city, he would push on and make them title contenders but fall a bit short.

Point is, Arteta would be miles better with a half decent squad of players.

Is this faith in Arteta all based on the fact that pep rates him? I'm really curious as he has never managed anywhere before so I don't know how you can be so confident in him, like what's the confidence based on?

• Advertisement

Is this faith in Arteta all based on the fact that pep rates him? I'm really curious as he has never managed anywhere before so I don't know how you can be so confident in him, like what's the confidence based on?

The faith in Arteta is my lack of faith in that squad of players

Exactly.......I dont get how some are massive believers in Arteta considering he literally has zero history in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Seems to be based on nothing but blind loyalty, it’s cringeworthy

Well barcelona's current manager is a shambles, look at them lol but PSG should be fine, they have good manager.

No this squad with a half decent manager would be in a much better place. An important job of a manager is to maximise the potential of his players. Arteta is doing the opposite. The players are under-performing and actually getting worse.

They appear timid, afraid to make a mistake and favouring caution. He's coaching them to be fearful and that is the last thing any manager should be doing.

He may become a good manager once he learns from his mistakes but I don't want an Arsenal relegation to be the mistake he learns from.

No this squad with a half decent manager would be in a much better place. An important job of a manager is to maximise the potential of his players. Arteta is doing the opposite. The players are under-performing and actually getting worse.

They appear timid, afraid to make a mistake and favouring caution. He's coaching them to be fearful and that is the last thing any manager should be doing.

He may become a good manager once he learns from his mistakes but I don't want an Arsenal relegation to be the mistake he learns from.

I disagree with anyone that backs that squad of players. Coaching them to be fearful,they aren't under 12s they are professional footballers

no chance of been relegated. Be realistic

Do you think the players at the club are currently playing anywhere near the maximum of their abilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Change doesn't happen overnight unless you are Man Utd or Chelsea and buy it. Arsenal have never and I hope will never resort to that. We are in a period of massive change, it takes time and sometimes you have to go low to fully recover.

I'm keeping the faith, I still think he's the right man for the job and I suspect a massive clear out in Jan, Ozil for one and God knows for whatever reason its been toxic and needs to end.

I disagree with anyone that backs that squad of players. Coaching them to be fearful,they aren't under 12s they are professional footballers

no chance of been relegated. Be realistic
    The players are not playing at the level they are capable of. How do you explain that?

The players are not playing at the level they are capable of. How do you explain that?

Capable of? What level do you think those players are capable of??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

I said it yesterday I’m torn between the fairy tale and the reality.

Any of us who comment about him being a great coach or even qualified enough have no idea of that, not one of us have been in a session with him or a dressing room. You can’t trust sound bites from explayers or current club affiliates as they all tow the line.

The belief that he’s a top coach or will be one is hopefulness.

The season is what it is now give him until end of season and if by March it’s much the same start planning for change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

As pathetic as it sounds Brighton didn't win and didn't overtake us. Burnley are two points behind us but have two games in hand. They play Wolves tomorrow evening. Our last game of the year is against Brighton and that's going to massive.

Capable of? What level do you think those players are capable of??

Much more than they are currently showing. Is there a single player out there who you can say has improved under Arteta's tutelage? I can give you half a squad who have got worse or who have been banished entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well lads we can rest assured that Spurs won’t be winning the title anytime soon.
    They were nearly as bad as us today thankfully.
    Not a lot of consolation but a little nonetheless.

Pulled what investment?

Arteta can't win this. No manager can. If the club's owners are willing to refuse to use our most creative player, which then causes a split in the dressing room, we're all just pissing in the wind.

Our biggest problem is that our owners are deliberately damaging our ability to win games to keep some lads on the other side of the planet happy.

And that's before you even consider that Ozil's crime is to raise human rights issues.

Absolute scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We don’t have to do anymore than check the table to see that things under Arteta are not working.
    14 points out of a possible 42 says everything.

I would have liked the project to work but it simply is not.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Do you think the players at the club are currently playing anywhere near the maximum of their abilities?

Yup many are.

You honestly think xhaka would play any better? Infact his played better under arteta then he ever did with emery and wenger LOL.

Lets look at other players:

Leno- playing as well as he has ever done
    Bellerine- Playing to the level he normally does, not good and average at best
    Mustafi- Actually playing better under arteta vs emery
    Willian- Hard to tell, he just came into the club
    Saka- Playing his level
    Willock- average
    Aubameyang- only player to have regressed
    Lacazzete? - PLease, his been **** even under emery and Wenger
    Kos- again, always been a crap player
    Pep- bro again!! a crap player playing crap as always .

You see, bar Aubameyang, the rest have not regressed under Arteta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Remember all those games last year, when we were saying that we would've lost that game if it weren't for Auba's goals.

Well that's what is happening now, but it's just that Auba isn't scoring now to save us. Auba has been bailing us out for a very long time now, so when he stops scoring we suffer massively.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Remember all those games last year, when we were saying that we would've lost that game if it weren't for Auba's goals.

Well that's what is happening now, but it's just that Auba isn't scoring now to save us. Auba has been bailing us out for a very long time now, so when he stops scoring we suffer massively.

NO NO but but the whole squad is underforming remember?!?!

ha!!

I was about to post the exact same thing. Basically last season i said here that if you take away aubameyangs goals and leno's saves,s we would have finished 15th in the league.

So what does that tell you? It tells you that the majority of players are not underperforming as some of you say they are and all blaming arteta!!

Aubameyang as well as firmino are/was having goal droughts. it happens to some of the best world class players were they go on a drought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Every team needs someone to put the cones out

Still waiting for a response to my question Jonney.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement