Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wonga77 wrote: »
    Macey is 26 and according to Wikipedia has only played 57 games in his career, most of which were for Plymouth on loan 2 years ago.
    No offence to the lad but what kind of career is that? Why would you want to stay at a club like arsenal with no hope of playing and what kind of backup is that to have anyways, a guy with no experience at all. At 26 he still has time but it's makes no sense to me

Footballistically it makes no sense you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

These are your options:

1. You wake up every day around 9 or half past, you leave your nice house, drive in your nice car, to a state of the art training facility where you stand in goals playing football for a few hours. Then you hit the gym with your mates. Then you go home, around 3 for the evening and live a generally happy life. At the end of the week you get around £2-3k and you get really long holidays too.

2. You play for Plymouth Argyle

I know which I would be choosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

From a footballing and career perspective I mean obviously. Not much of a career if you don't actually play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Have to be honest, I'm kinda expecting news of a sacking very soon.

When do the Kroenke's do their annual review? They'll probably ask how results are going at that. Have we won the Champions league lately, or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Quazzie wrote: »
    These are your options:

1. You wake up every day around 9 or half past, you leave your nice house, drive in your nice car, to a state of the art training facility where you stand in goals playing football for a few hours. Then you hit the gym with your mates. Then you go home, around 3 for the evening and live a generally happy life. At the end of the week you get around £2-3k and you get really long holidays too.

Well Plymouth is a nice part of the UK and League 1 players would be getting a couple of grand a week too. Plus their support is pretty fervent. I'd definitely go for number 2 but it's a choice and some might not want the competitive edge in their lives.

• Advertisement

These are your options:

Very true. I used to know the partner (now wife) of Brad Jones, the Aussie goalkeeper. He went from being keeper at Middlesbrough in the Championship to 3rd or 4th choice at Liverpool. Some might say it was a backwards move career-wise, but he did end up getting to feature for Liverpool in a few big matches when Reina and some of the other keepers above him were out of action. I'm sure he doesn't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

These are your options:

Macey is actually on £10k a week!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Have to be honest, I'm kinda expecting news of a sacking very soon.

Don't think he'll get sacked yet anyway, most reports suggest all the right people are behind him.

Edu on the other hand... I think he's a dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Lads the least of out worries is out back up keeper in the ****ty Carling cup.

He could have lost 7-0 last not and not many would care once we get a result against Chelsea, that's all that matters.

Praying for martinelli to be fit and start, partey is a bit off I guess too. Adding them two with gab back will be huge for us

OmegaGene wrote: »
    they need to act fast if they want Overmars because united are meant to be going for him and Luis Campos who has just left lille

As long as it's not someone trying to use the club as a vehicle for their agent friends to clear the club of cash then I'm all for it!

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »

That's cheered me up - having him available will make a difference!

greendom wrote: »
    That's cheered me up - having him available will make a difference!

100%! One of few players who won't down tools - helps when you know the club and manager want you I suppose! :pac:

He looks way more conditioned & bulked than before too. Imagine what he'll be like fully fit in a team that is functioning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Azatadine wrote: »

If this was to happen it would really show how truly fceked up football has become.

I’d be delighted mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Macey is 26 and according to Wikipedia has only played 57 games in his career, most of which were for Plymouth on loan 2 years ago.
    No offence to the lad but what kind of career is that? Why would you want to stay at a club like arsenal with no hope of playing and what kind of backup is that to have anyways, a guy with no experience at all. At 26 he still has time but it's makes no sense to me

To be fair Martinez's stats wouldn't have looked much better 12 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Runarsson has deleted his Twitter account due to the torrent of abuse he got last night from some of the clubs fans. Poor lad!

https://www.givemesport.com/1631010-alex-runar-runarsson-arsenal-goalkeeper-deletes-twitter-account-after-man-city-humiliation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

DenMan wrote: »
    Runarsson has deleted his Twitter account due to the torrent of abuse he got last night from some of the clubs fans. Poor lad!

https://www.givemesport.com/1631010-alex-runar-runarsson-arsenal-goalkeeper-deletes-twitter-account-after-man-city-humiliation

Twitter can be a chronic bad place for young people at times!

Why do people do that? So unnecessary. It shows that to be a professional player there is much more to it than just ability. You have to have a pretty hard shell to deal with that type of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Azatadine wrote: »

Is it April Fools Day already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I just can't even fathom why you would go and write someone on a player's page after a game just to make them feel like ****. Especially a player like Runarsson who has done very little wrong in my view.
    It's disgusting and I can only imagine the vile stuff that would have been sent his way and how he is feeling right now

What the hell is the craic with this Saliba fella? He was supposed to be the rock our defence was built around for years to come, but he's so crap he hasn't even kicked a ball for us? Can that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What the hell is the craic with this Saliba fella? He was supposed to be the rock our defence was built around for years to come, but he's so crap he hasn't even kicked a ball for us? Can that be right?

I dont really understand it. Cant be any worse than Mustafi so at least it would bring a bit of variety anyways :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I just can't even fathom why you would go and write someone on a player's page after a game just to make them feel like ****. Especially a player like Runarsson who has done very little wrong in my view.
    It's disgusting and I can only imagine the vile stuff that would have been sent his way and how he is feeling right now

State of our "fan base"... AFTV is the most toxic thing I've ever seen and very influential to other morons that take time out of their day to tweet abusive messages to players. If you're getting upset over a billionaire owned club beating a 2nd string arsenal team on a Tuesday night in the coke cup youd wanna take a long hard look in the mirror. Yes it's infuriating...for a few minutes, then move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I turned off after 2 minutes last night in disgust, turned it back on a minute later of course. Was shocked and delighted when we equalised, and then the inevitable. It's such hard going at the moment, I'm really really struggling to see how things get turned around under Arteta, there's just nothing to suggest it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That Saliba story?

Add it to what the Guendouzi/Ozil disciplinary shambles is.

Then throw in the drop of form of Aubameyang, the **** show of our midfield, losing our best MF'r to injury a half game into his club career?

For flavour, add in Folarin Balogun's contract mess.

Finally bake for 1 pandemic year with a boardroom falling apart.

Results in the worst club Christmas pudding ever!!! It's going to take a festive Christmas miracle to sort this lot out. Quite depressing really.

That doesn't really give any answers at all.

I just want to know is he crap, and if so why did we sign him?

emmetlego wrote: »
    That Saliba story?

Add it to what the Guendouzi/Ozil disciplinary shambles is.

Then throw in the drop of form of Aubameyang, the **** show of our midfield, losing our best MF'r to injury a half game into his club career?

For flavour, add in Folarin Balogun's contract mess.

Finally bake for 1 pandemic year with a boardroom falling apart.

Results in the worst club Christmas pudding ever!!! It's going to take a festive Christmas miracle to sort this lot out. Quite depressing really.
    There is something seriously wrong at our club.
    Far too many players have dipped in form at the same time and rumours about players like Saliba being picked on don’t make great reading.
    There’s obviously a power struggle going on behind the scenes and the entire club is suffering as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

State of our "fan base"... AFTV is the most toxic thing I've ever seen and very influential to other morons that take time out of their day to tweet abusive messages to players. If you're getting upset over a billionaire owned club beating a 2nd string arsenal team on a Tuesday night in the coke cup youd wanna take a long hard look in the mirror. Yes it's infuriating...for a few minutes, then move on.

Personally I don’t have much time for them but many of them are long time season ticket holders and travel to away games regularly (or did!).
    A lot of Arsenal fans come across as snobs looking down at other fans as if they’re some kind of elite supporters (not directed at you).
    However, anyone who directs personal abuse at players in person or online are not worth the air they breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

omega man wrote: »
    Personally I don’t have much time for them but many of them are long time season ticket holders and travel to away games regularly (or did!).
    A lot of Arsenal fans come across as snobs looking down at other fans as if they’re some kind of elite supporters (not directed at you).
    However, anyone who directs personal abuse at players in person or online are not worth the air they breath.

Imo, AFTV is the footy equivalent of Jerry Springer. Made by idiots and enjoyed by people who laugh at idiots.

Aftv are a bunch of absolute d1ckheads, a stain on the club. I have zero time for anyone who thinks any different

Aftv are a bunch of absolute d1ckheads, a stain on the club. I have zero time for anyone who thinks any different

Don't watch it, but have absolutely no problem with it.

I actually find it laughable that people around here can look down their nose at fans who pay week in and week out to attend matches (when that was possible), especially when they are spouting the exact same opinions here as you'd see on AFTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

How is that “sticking the knife in again “ though.
    He’s just praising the man who signed him and saying how he and others miss him.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Don't watch it, but have absolutely no problem with it.

I actually find it laughable that people around here can look down their nose at fans who pay week in and week out to attend matches (when that was possible), especially when they are spouting the exact same opinions here as you'd see on AFTV.

Try watching it sometime and you might understand. At one stage it was an actual fan site, I've no issue with that, it actually wasn't tok bad in the beginning. Now it's just trashtalking simply for clicks. Very few of them make any sense and it's just being controversial to get as many viewers as possible, I'd doubt the numbers are made up of actual arsenal fans watching it. It's more other fan bases that watch it for a good laugh.
    I spent enough time and money watching arsenal when I lived in London (as I'm sure many others around here did/do) so don't be so quick to judge posters here

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They may have started as a fan based channel but now it’s purely for the money and fame and it also stirs up hatred towards players for young/naive people that then start trolling the players
    Micah Richards normally talks utter garbage but what he said about aftv is correct.

In a quick google search this stat was posted in 2018 :- Formerly a BBC reggae radio host and surveyor, he quit his job to work on the YouTube channel full-time. In November 2017, it was estimated that he earns around £400,000 a year from ArsenalFan TV but this net worth could be more due to his new Channel 4 show.

As an aftv member would say - we don’t pay for arsenal innit bruv we are on a free ting with aftv so big up de man dem being pure iiiiidiots watching our ting and buying next mans merch

And? I don't see the problem. Robbie seems like a genuine fan to me, as do most of the people on there, even if they are eejits.

People make a lot of money of a lot more meaningless things than what the AFTV guys do. 'Influencers' come to mind.

At the end of the day, I don't watch it, but I don't feel the need to rip into them about making a few bob out of it.

Try watching it sometime and you might understand. At one stage it was an actual fan site, I've no issue with that, it actually wasn't tok bad in the beginning. Now it's just trashtalking simply for clicks. Very few of them make any sense and it's just being controversial to get as many viewers as possible, I'd doubt the numbers are made up of actual arsenal fans watching it. It's more other fan bases that watch it for a good laugh.
    I spent enough time and money watching arsenal when I lived in London (as I'm sure many others around here did/do) so don't be so quick to judge posters here

To be fair, the only thing I've really looked at in the last couple of years would be a couple of the transfer dailies when they've come up on my feed.

I'm not judging anyone here, just making the point that they're fans who attend matches, so I have no problem with them giving their opinions, which are usually very similar to what you'd read on here. I'm sure that aspect hasn't changed.

That doesn't really give any answers at all.

I just want to know is he crap, and if so why did we sign him?

It's not like he was cheap either. Another weird one.

I'd say the last few years, the only decent transfers we've made would be Tierney and Gabriel. I can't really think of anyone else we've brought in that isn't at least a bit questionable.

I'd say the last few years, the only decent transfers we've made would be Tierney and Gabriel. I can't really think of anyone else we've brought in that isn't at least a bit questionable.

Hopefully Partey too.

The thing is, some of them have been questionable, but some of them have clearly and undoubtedly been made for reasons other than the good of the team/squad/club.

That's why it's hard to believe in the current operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

add Partey to that shortlist and maybe Leno. it's all a bit depressing isn't it.

so realistically what would a good transfer window look like next month? Keeping in mind that we never have managed a good January window and we have way too many issues to try to deal with in a short space of time e.g.
    • players playing **** (laca, willian, xhaka)
    • players not playing (Ozil, Socrates)
    • too many defenders (Saliba wanting out)
    • not enough creativity (would your man Aour or an equivalent be available and want to join us)
    • disharmony in the squad, undermining Arteta
    • tactics way too predictable for opposing teams

i could go on.

minimum for me at this stage is that we shift 1 or 2 of mustafi and socrates and start giving saliba some playing time. add to that a good signing or two in attack.

I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

AFTV is great entertainment when Arsenal loses - which unfortunately happens a lot lately.
    I have been watching them a lot lately.
    I generally agree with Basil - they are true fans that live and breath Arsenal and are really pissed off with what's going on - and at the same time I find most of them eejits - people that would hold a grudge against players and find very difficult to admit that they are wrong. Some of the lesser known ones (meaning other than DT and Troopz who is not part of the channel anymore) are a bit more levelheaded and some of the things they say make sense, but at the end of the day it is a little bit on where the wind blows and you could here them contradict themselves every week. And Robbie knows how to play the game and ask the right questions depending on who he is talking to.

The general consensus in AFTV is Arteta out. There are some voices mentioning how poor some players are and next manager will probably face similar issues but they understand that you can not get rid of 10-12 players that easily, so off the manager goes.

I think the 2 games against Brighton and West Brom will be very telling. 6 points in these 2 games will be a great breather and might give a push to the team. Anything less than that and the realisation that "we aren't that big to not be relegated" will surely hit home.

When Ozil was asked which player had most potential he said Geuendozi - his fellow outcast 😂

Irish Aris wrote: »
    AFTV is great entertainment when Arsenal loses - which unfortunately happens a lot lately.
    I have been watching them a lot lately.
    I generally agree with Basil - they are true fans that live and breath Arsenal and are really pissed off with what's going on - and at the same time I find most of them eejits - people that would hold a grudge against players and find very difficult to admit that they are wrong. Some of the lesser known ones (meaning other than DT and Troopz who is not part of the channel anymore) are a bit more levelheaded and some of the things they say make sense, but at the end of the day it is a little bit on where the wind blows and you could here them contradict themselves every week. And Robbie knows how to play the game and ask the right questions depending on who he is talking to.

The general consensus in AFTV is Arteta out. There are some voices mentioning how poor some players are and next manager will probably face similar issues but they understand that you can not get rid of 10-12 players that easily, so off the manager goes.

I think the 2 games against Brighton and West Brom will be very telling. 6 points in these 2 games will be a great breather and might give a push to the team. Anything less than that and the realisation that "we aren't that big to not be relegated" will surely hit home.

don't really pay too much attention to AFTV cos some of the characters are unbearable (especially when we lose!) but it's sometimes good for getting a sense of how the fans going to the games feel.

On the relegation point, I agree. The problem is, if we end up in a scrap, we don't have many fighters in the team and Arteta has no experience of that sort of situation as a manager. some may feel that the teams below us are even more sh1t than we are (which might be true) but we're not far off at this stage.

I think arteta should be given the season at least and I'd be against sacking him due to a poor run given all the issues he inherited. but things must improve quickly.

greendom wrote: »
    When Ozil was asked which player had most potential he said Geuendozi - his fellow outcast ��

Gendouzi is a handy player. it seems it was his attitude or personality that caused the issues rather than his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

don't really pay too much attention to AFTV cos some of the characters are unbearable (especially when we lose!) but it's sometimes good for getting a sense of how the fans going to the games feel.

On the relegation point, I agree. The problem is, if we end up in a scrap, we don't have many fighters in the team and Arteta has no experience of that sort of situation as a manager. some may feel that the teams below us are even more sh1t than we are (which might be true) but we're not far off at this stage.

I think arteta should be given the season at least and I'd be against sacking him due to a poor run given all the issues he inherited. but things must improve quickly.

On the relegation battle, normally I would say that West Brom and Sheffield are as good as gone, they seem to be very poor - but West Brom having Sam Allardyce as a manager means that they won't go down without a fight and based on his past history he will try to milk as many 1-0 wins as possible to keep them alive.
    For us is the fact that this has gone long enough to damage any notion of confidence to our team. Couple that with all the unsettle in the dressing room, and things look bleak. We really need the 2 wins in these 2 matches, irrespective of whether the performances will be good or not. Right now it's all about the points, and get as far away from the relegation zone as possible. After that, with the season being a write-off Arteta (assuming he survives the season) should use the remainder of the season as preparation for the next one, start using the players that he sees as his core for 2021-2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I can't figure out if Ozil is truly an arsenal man or if he's really good at manipulation...

I can't figure out if Ozil is truly an arsenal man or if he's really good at manipulation...

I don't care either way. I'm more pissed off at the way the club has handled the whole situation. It's pathetic.

The latter, definitely the latter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement